Open Enrollment in the State of Ohio

should Ohio Change

• Total voters

fleadog101

Should the Ohio Open Enrollment be modified and changed to be more in line with other states who have a more true Open Enrollment?

As long as parents are willing to provide transportation for their kids, they should be allowed to attend any school they want them to.
You better revamp the school tax issues then. If you’re giving every kid equal access to any and every school district then the parent should have to pay the same school taxes for that district. They should also be allowed to vote for school district board members even if they live out of that district. Fair is fair, if I’m using your services, I should have to pay for them and I should get a voice.

You better revamp the school tax issues then. If you’re giving every kid equal access to any and every school district then the parent should have to pay the same school taxes for that district. They should also be allowed to vote for school district board members even if they live out of that district. Fair is fair, if I’m using your services, I should have to pay for them and I should get a voice.

I can agree with that.

I have been in favor of abolishing the present public school system. Allow private companies to take over education. Instead of paying property taxes, etc. to the government to distribute my tax dollars, I would pay tuition to whichever education company I want. The good ones will thrive, the poor ones will disappear. I should not be forced to seen my kids to a failing school district just because I find a house I like on Smith St. or Jones Rd.

I do have a question regarding open enrollment for Ohio. So a student that lives in district 'A' elects to go to school in school 'B' which has open enrollment. 1). does the student have to pay tuition to go to school in district 'B'?
2.) does open enrollment work the same for every school that has it?

I have been in favor of abolishing the present public school system. Allow private companies to take over education. Instead of paying property taxes, etc. to the government to distribute my tax dollars, I would pay tuition to whichever education company I want. The good ones will thrive, the poor ones will disappear. I should not be forced to seen my kids to a failing school district just because I find a house I like on Smith St. or Jones Rd.
You do know private education companies are one of the biggest reasons for the education problems in our country.

The real answer is to actually allow our teachers to do what they were hired to do. Allow schools to actually hold students and families accountable. It really is that simple, but the private education companies make insane money over the chaos.

I do have a question regarding open enrollment for Ohio. So a student that lives in district 'A' elects to go to school in school 'B' which has open enrollment. 1). does the student have to pay tuition to go to school in district 'B'?
It is not the same for every OE school. Some are only open to neighboring districts, other open to anyone. The cost varies from school to school too.

It is all messed up and has gotten worse since politics have became directly involved. No longer do locals really control their schools. Also, parents can no longer be held accountable for their child's school performance or behavior. Last, school unions are not helping either. I really mean the national and state parts of it.

You can already do that now moron, it’s called private school. You can pay tuition and send your kids to any private school that will accept them. As for your taxes, they won’t cover the cost of a private high school even if government gives you the per pupil costs. You’ll still need more out of pocket. By the way even if you can afford private education most lower middle or impoverished families or families with multiple kids cannot. Bottom line, you need viable public schools. Get over your pro Trump, extreme Right Wing agenda and think.

Keep the Bona Fide Move in place.

"A student whose parents make a bona fide move completely out of one school zone into another may transfer all his/her rights and privileges to the member school that serves the area where his/her parents reside"

You want to transfer, M O V E.

The answer to your first question is a definite NO. They DO NOT have to pay tuition in that instance.

Studies have already proven that non-profit and for-profit charter schools fail on average 50% of the time. So privatizing education already has a blemished track record.

On a somewhat related note is Betsy DeVos good in bed?

Studies have already proven that non-profit and for-profit charter schools fail on average 50% of the time. So privatizing education already has a blemished track record.

On a somewhat related note is Betsy DeVos good in bed?
Very true, and in Ohio students attending private schools on vouchers have lower test scores than their "failing school" on average. So the "public schools are failing our kids" crowd love to use the pro-public school crowd's argument that there are way too many variables outside of the school's control that account for those poor test scores for the voucher students. Oh, the irony.

Several times a year I visit more than one of the Toledo Metroparks. Should have to pay Toledo taxes and vote for Toledo city council and mayor? Fair is fair.

Several times a year I visit more than one of the Toledo Metroparks. Should have to pay Toledo taxes and vote for Toledo city council and mayor? Fair is fair.
Or as a non Toledo resident you can pay extra to use their services. Many cities and municipalities already do this with things like public golf courses or pools. So you can go ahead and use the parks but you’ll have to pay extra for being a non resident. Fair is fair!!

That's quite a bit different since communities build parks and stuff for general use by anyone. It's a quality of life and bringing other into your community for those facilities increase overall economic impact. Schools were created originally just for that community to use.

Yes, open enrollment is allowed in Ohio, but it is up to each school district to decide if they will have open enrollment or not. And if a district has open enrollment, it can enact its own policies for enrollment within the state's has rules on what districts can and can't do. One thing they can't do is accept a student's open enrollment application based on athletic ability.

If there is something that needs to change statewide, what is it exactly?

Last edited:
Yes, open enrollment is allowed in Ohio, but it is up to each school district to decide if they will have open enrollment or not. And if a district has open enrollment, it can enact its own policies for enrollment within the state's has rules on what districts can and can't do. One thing they can't do is accept an open enrollment application based on athletic ability.

If there is something that needs to change statewide, what is it exactly?
Correct, in that each district decides whether or not it will participate in receiving students under Open Enrollment. However, all schools participate in OE in the event of students leaving their district.

I'm not advocating any change. I just wanted to make it clear that the State of Ohio established OE in 1989 and it affects every district.

That's quite a bit different since communities build parks and stuff for general use by anyone. It's a quality of life and bringing other into your community for those facilities increase overall economic impact. Schools were created originally just for that community to use.
The intent of public parks is for people who don't live there to use them? BS.

Correct, in that each district decides whether or not it will participate in receiving students under Open Enrollment. However, all schools participate in OE in the event of students leaving their district.

I'm not advocating any change. I just wanted to make it clear that the State of Ohio established OE in 1989 and it affects every district.
Ok, I wasn't looking at it from that perspective as far as students leaving any district regardless of that district's policy.

Me and every resident of our school district, via our elected officials, have the right to determine if the district should be open or closed enrollment. And we should.

Schools were never created for outsiders to come in and spend their money in restaurants and whatnot. They were created for (I know it's going to sound crazy) E D U C A T I O N.
IF my district is doing a average to poor job (they aren't), and the district up the road will take my kids, why should I not be able to send them there?

IF my district is doing a average to poor job (they aren't), and the district up the road will take my kids, why should I not be able to send them there?
You should, I'm all for that. But if that district has a higher tax rate, you should be expected to pay that difference. People in that district up the road paying higher taxes for their schools to have outsiders use it at a discount rate have every right to be upset.