6. Triad

SOUTH
1. Greeneview
2. Greenon
3. Catholic Central
4. Cedarville
5. Madison Plains
6. Southeastern

If Greeneview can ever stay healthy they will be a handful…believe they return some pieces
Staying healthy will be a factor for everyone. I know last season, many teams were pieced together on Friday nights so they could just play. Hopefully that won't be an issue this next season....Hopefully!

With that said, I know that West Jeff graduated more than Mechanicsburg had on their roster (maybe close anyways), and that Mechanicsburg graduated a lot as well. I know NE only graduated 4 or 5. Just curious on which teams will really have to reload this coming season!

not worried about West Jeff reloading.. they always have and will. may not be state semi-final caliber but they should win the North. Burg has graduated a ton the last two years and they probably need a year or two to develop until they’re back to making playoff runs. Northeastern.. just don’t buy it. I’ll join the hype train for the Jets when they beat one of the traditional powers in the OHC (don’t say Greeneview in 2021 because they literally dressed 20 kids or so). they weren’t competitive last year against Burg or West Jeff, lost to a decent but not great Riverside team, and couldn’t get a touchdown on the board against Anna on the playoffs. they’re much improved, but they’re not a real contender yet

not worried about West Jeff reloading.. they always have and will. may not be state semi-final caliber but they should win the North. Burg has graduated a ton the last two years and they probably need a year or two to develop until they’re back to making playoff runs. Northeastern.. just don’t buy it. I’ll join the hype train for the Jets when they beat one of the traditional powers in the OHC (don’t say Greeneview in 2021 because they literally dressed 20 kids or so). they weren’t competitive last year against Burg or West Jeff, lost to a decent but not great Riverside team, and couldn’t get a touchdown on the board against Anna on the playoffs. they’re much improved, but they’re not a real contender yet
So Greeneview in 2021 was the only team missing players during the season? Ok. Well, agree to disagree then. That's why the kids play the game. Hoping for safe and healthy off-seasons for all the OHC teams. Can't wait for the season to get underway.

So Greeneview in 2021 was the only team missing players during the season? Ok. Well, agree to disagree then. That's why the kids play the game. Hoping for safe and healthy off-seasons for all the OHC teams. Can't wait for the season to get underway.
no, but Greeneview had an outbreak that in reality, should’ve caused them to cancel games against both Northeastern and Fairbanks. i would’ve loved to see those at full strength!

i think it’s fair to say that missing over 1/3 of the whole team is enough to affect the outcome of a game.

Not making any predictions just yet!
WJ did lose a ton but for the first time in 3 1/2 years will have a running QB at least 1 season until Buescher part 2 takes over.
This will give WJ a little different look on offense this year with a running QB.
Offense will be as good as the QB and the O-line will take them.
A lot of underclassmen played last season, even early on in the playoffs so they seen some time on Friday and Saturday nights.
Not sure on the defense just yet!

Northeastern, should be really good. They have been young the last 2 years so if they are going to make any noise it will be this season.

Fairbanks- should be really good as well!

The south- Should be SCC's to win!
2nd place will be a fight over Greenon and Greenview.

Not making any predictions just yet!
WJ did lose a ton but for the first time in 3 1/2 years will have a running QB at least 1 season until Buescher part 2 takes over.
This will give WJ a little different look on offense this year with a running QB.
Offense will be as good as the QB and the O-line will take them.
A lot of underclassmen played last season, even early on in the playoffs so they seen some time on Friday and Saturday nights.
Not sure on the defense just yet!

Northeastern, should be really good. They have been young the last 2 years so if they are going to make any noise it will be this season.

Fairbanks- should be really good as well!

The south- Should be SCC's to win!
2nd place will be a fight over Greenon and Greenview.
I think our defense should be fine the only thing that scares me they will be young but they have had some playing time

If Greeneview can ever stay healthy they will be a handful…believe they return some pieces
I don't know for certain the validity of the information but it sounds like there might be some major contributing factors as to why Greeneview is typically unable to stay healthy. In speaking with a Greeneview parent at an OHC game in the 2020 season, that parent expressed concern with a lot of the injuries sustained during practice, that parent indicated Greeneview does not even have a practice field but practices at a neighboring church where the surface is the cause of most of their injuries in itself. According to him there are major issues with their facilities. I'm not sure if the injuries stem from their practice facility or maybe it's just the way they practice but according to that source it seems there are some struggles there with support and facilities.

In regards to predictions, some of you are saying that West Jeff will be down because they lost a lot, I'm not buying it. West Jeff always has high numbers of players on the sidelines so they always reload every year. Mechanicsburg has pretty low numbers so from what they lost the past couple years they will need some time to rebuild.

My prediction for the north is Northeastern but Fairbanks might be a sleeper for many and West Jeff will again be right there.

In the south, Catholic Central I feel with give Greeneview a run for their money. Greeneview should probably be the frontrunner but it seems they are truly always injury prone or something always happens so my prediction is going to be Catholic Central.

I don't know for certain the validity of the information but it sounds like there might be some major contributing factors as to why Greeneview is typically unable to stay healthy. In speaking with a Greeneview parent at an OHC game in the 2020 season, that parent expressed concern with a lot of the injuries sustained during practice, that parent indicated Greeneview does not even have a practice field but practices at a neighboring church where the surface is the cause of most of their injuries in itself. According to him there are major issues with their facilities. I'm not sure if the injuries stem from their practice facility or maybe it's just the way they practice but according to that source it seems there are some struggles there with support and facilities.

In regards to predictions, some of you are saying that West Jeff will be down because they lost a lot, I'm not buying it. West Jeff always has high numbers of players on the sidelines so they always reload every year. Mechanicsburg has pretty low numbers so from what they lost the past couple years they will need some time to rebuild.

My prediction for the north is Northeastern but Fairbanks might be a sleeper for many and West Jeff will again be right there.

In the south, Catholic Central I feel with give Greeneview a run for their money. Greeneview should probably be the frontrunner but it seems they are truly always injury prone or something always happens so my prediction is going to be Catholic Central.
there’s some truth to this regarding the practice field. they do practice at the church across South Charleston Road, but i doubt that’s the reason for the injuries. Greeneview is one of the few teams i know of that goes legitimate full contact in practices- and i have heard of some serious injuries due to kids being under piles during practice, etc

They are not doing anything more than any other team in the state...you can bet on that...and thats from a very reliable source.
I have a very reliable source as well.. its very possible they have conflicting experiences. I'm not bashing anyone or the program as a whole, but I've been told multiple stories in the last couple of years of some very good players getting injured in practice due to contact/taking to the ground. And I'm sure there are other teams that have experienced this as well. I am not an advocate for or against it, but it's definitely smarter (especially for smaller schools with smaller rosters) to do everything they can to stay clean in practice.

Yo
I have a very reliable source as well.. its very possible they have conflicting experiences. I'm not bashing anyone or the program as a whole, but I've been told multiple stories in the last couple of years of some very good players getting injured in practice due to contact/taking to the ground. And I'm sure there are other teams that have experienced this as well. I am not an advocate for or against it, but it's definitely smarter (especially for smaller schools with smaller rosters) to do everything they can to stay clean in practice.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

Grevw fan - If Greeneview has experienced a larger number of injuries than normal in more than just one season, then what do think it is? You are extremely confident that it is not their practice habits so what else might it be? Poor or incorrect off-season weight training, incorrect in-season training, they walk under a ladder heading between the locker room and practice field?

If a lot of injuries happen’s one season, it’s by chance. If it happens two years straight, it’s a coincidence. If it happens a third year, it’s a pattern.

I know for a fact west Jeff will only hit once or twice a week
I think most schools do that. The difference is that some schools "thud up" and keep guys off the ground, while others go "full contact" which is how you would do it in a game. Many schools are moving towards "thudding up" to prevent injuries, and are doing alternate drills to teach tackling techniques.

Grevw fan - If Greeneview has experienced a larger number of injuries than normal in more than just one season, then what do think it is? You are extremely confident that it is not their practice habits so what else might it be? Poor or incorrect off-season weight training, incorrect in-season training, they walk under a ladder heading between the locker room and practice field?

If a lot of injuries happen’s one season, it’s by chance. If it happens two years straight, it’s a coincidence. If it happens a third year, it’s a pattern.
Well to be honest I will start with in 19-20 season...the Payton kid was injured in the Waynesville game when a kid tried to pull up at the end of a play and landed on his leg...absolutely nothing to to do with practice or facilities...just bad luck...on to 20-21..all the injured kids were in games and were not real significant injuries...just typical football related stuff...last season they lost the Findley kid and the other Payton kid against Madison...Findley was a collar bone ...again I'm not sure that injury has anything to do with practice habits or facilities...the younger Payton kid broken wrist from a kid landing on top of him with his elbow on the ground bending his wrist down between the two players...again not really anything with practice habits or facilities...so the ladder may be a option I will have those guys check that...I think it's a good run of bad luck and when you are talking number in the mid 30s and the injuries happen to starters...the number 2s just are not as good....but they go thud just like everyone else...do they have live periods...sure....but it is in accordance to the rules set by the OHSAA......I hope EVERYONE has a safe and injury free season......Greeneview should have numbers in the mid to upper 40s this season...and if they can move the ladder that leads to the practice field they should be pretty good...they only Graduated 3 kids from last seasons team and only 2 of them started...and only 1 played on both side of the ball ...GOODLUCK TO ALL!!

I think most schools do that. The difference is that some schools "thud up" and keep guys off the ground, while others go "full contact" which is how you would do it in a game. Many schools are moving towards "thudding up" to prevent injuries, and are doing alternate drills to teach tackling techniques.
West Jeff has been doing this for years now I didn’t like it at first but it does prevent you from getting banged up the only thing I don’t like about it is I think it makes you soft and takes the physical part of the game away when it becomes game time

West Jeff has been doing this for years now I didn’t like it at first but it does prevent you from getting banged up the only thing I don’t like about it is I think it makes you soft and takes the physical part of the game away when it becomes game time
i wouldn’t go as far to say it makes kids soft or less physical. for the most part, the kids still playing in high school have been playing football for awhile, so they know what it takes, physicality wise. i do think we have seen more ankle tacking, but shying away from tackling to the ground in practice has probably been a net positive for the game of football

Grevw fan - The injury problems this year and last year seems pretty obvious to me, this years Greeneview senior class only had 3 players. A good Div V or smaller schools can expect/hope that 3 to 5 sophomores to see the field on Friday night and play significant snaps, not just special teams. If a school has more sophomores than that playing, it's usually one of two things:
1) that class is really good, a once in every 25 years or so to go thru that school
or the other most likely option
2) the sophomores are pressed into action because one or both of the upper classes are low in numbers.

Instead of playing seniors this year and juniors last year, Greeneview was playing a junior or sophomore who was trying to stop an opposing teams senior. Perfect example, the Mechanicsburg qb from this year - you are sending a kid out to try and tackle a man. Of course you are going to incur injuries. If you are only getting around 30 kids on the team (grades 9 - 12), the problem is not getting enough kids out which can/will lead to injuries because of having to play underclassmen before they are physically ready for Friday night.

Regarding tackling during practice, I remember reading an article on retired NCAA Div III Minnesota St John's coach John Gagliardi. He coached over 60 years (1949 to 2012), mostly at St. Johns, winning 489 games and two Div III NCAA National titles (lost to Mt Union quite a bit). Gagliardi was know for his "unique coaching approach, which he called "Winning with No's." He instructed his players not to call him "coach", did not use a whistle or blocking sleds, prohibited tackling in practices, did not require his players to lift weights, and limited his team practices to 90 minutes". Definitely not the style/philosophy of any football coach I ever had but it goes to show there is more than one way to do things.

Numbers are always a problem....but u say sophomores ...I think they were playing juniors and freshman...
Just curious Grevw Fan, on your opinion as to why football numbers are a problem at Greeneview?
It seems you're geographically situated in a nice spot to pull a lot of kids from I-71 and 35 corridor outside Dayton. Greeneview seems to have had moderate success in making the playoffs but not really ever advancing, which probably has a tremendous amount to due with low numbers. Thoughts?

Most every school in the NATION is going "thud" at practice. I know a lot of programs that NEVER go full contact during the week, once in season. Going "thud" is actually great for tackling. Football is no longer about putting your facemask in someone's chest as hard as possible. It's about leverage, Hawk Tackling is what they call it. Going "thud" allows kids to practice the proper tackling position while going live.

Yes, this prevents injuries which is the main reason for this action, but preventing injuries is how you "build" your numbers in a program.

I wish I had the answer to that...but unfortunately I do not...there are plenty of kids walking the halls inside the school that could definitely help...but they don't play...