Roger Bacon’s Brian Neal to step down following 21-22 season

Anyone in-house at RB that will have interest in this job? Or will they hire someone from the outside?

The end of a great run for Coach Neal. Hopefully he has a successful farewell season

Steve Wolf is the varsity assistant and I would think he would be in line to get the job. Has been a head coach at Bethel Tate and a long time assistant at Alter.

Retires right after pulling out of the GCL. I heard that he was the driving force behind leaving. I could never figure that out. He did pretty darn good in the GCL.

Retires right after pulling out of the GCL. I heard that he was the driving force behind leaving. I could never figure that out. He did pretty darn good in the GCL.
Dude tried to get every open job in the city in the past 5 years. They all knew what he was about. He wanted out of the Co-ed once they decided to go to one conference rather than north/central. Not gonna beat cj and alter.
Absolute biggest whiner in that league. JMO

So he damages a really great league and then bolts. Curious, what does the future look like talent wise for boy’s basketball at Bacon?

With regard to the GCL, Purcell had to get out as they could no longer compete besides boys/girls hoops. I would imagine Bacon went along as those two were the smallest schools in the league. I was surprised the MVC took them in but they do compete much better in that league. Badin and I would imagine McNick have always played those two schools in most every sport, even before the GCL Coed started in the 91-92 season. Neal was Bill Brewer's assistant when the Spartans took down Lebron's crew.

I realize that, but from a strictly basketball standpoint, Kerr at Purcell left the GCL kicking and screaming. Certainly, Neal is entitled to his opinion, but he was the driving force behind leaving. If you go to the history of the League on the website you’ll see that Bacon more than held their own. Bacon won the League in basketball 10 times, 8 by Neal. During his 16 seasons he won 8 Central League titles. It looks like with the new one division set up he would have had to have gone against Chaminade and Alter to win the league in most years. He faired very well against both, especially in the years he won the Central. I don’t get it. Maybe he knew he was getting out of coaching and thought Bacon just wouldn’t be able to compete. I think they would have been fine. Neal had a GCL career to be proud of. It was a great league. Hope it survives. It made every school in it better.

Last edited:
His son will graduate this year and I believe his daughter will be a freshman. I guessing that had a major part in the decision.

Maybe what you “heard” isn’t the whole truth.
So he damages a really great league and then bolts. Curious, what does the future look like talent wise for boy’s basketball at Bacon?
How does any Coach “damage” an entire League?

With regard to the GCL, Purcell had to get out as they could no longer compete besides boys/girls hoops. I would imagine Bacon went along as those two were the smallest schools in the league. I was surprised the MVC took them in but they do compete much better in that league. Badin and I would imagine McNick have always played those two schools in most every sport, even before the GCL Coed started in the 91-92 season. Neal was Bill Brewer's assistant when the Spartans took down Lebron's crew.
I am a Bacon basketball manager alumni .I graduated in ‘84 we were playing Badin and McNick even back then before there was a GCL Co-ed

Maybe what you “heard” isn’t the whole truth.

How does any Coach “damage” an entire League?
Strictly basketball. Bacon was one of the League powers, and Purcell under Kerr was also very good. Two good teams are gone and McNick now stands alone as
the only true Cincinnati school left. How long will they stay? I just don’t understand why schools thriving in the GCL would choose to go to a league not as competitive. Weren’t Bacon and Purcell original members of the GCL? Neal did extremely well in the GCL. It doesn’t make sense to me that he leads the exodus and then retires from coaching.