Division VI State Championship: Carey (14-1) vs Coldwater (13-2)

Who wins the state championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was saying in terms of Saturday nights game in Euclid.
Ok or maybe Springfield was overrated? According to HUDL Hopewell Loudon rushed for 250 yds. vs Carey, that same HL team rushed for zero yds. vs Marion Local. Carey I am sure is improved from the beginning of the season, but team speed does not change during the season and from the highlights i saw on HUDL the 225 lb. running back and HL QB were running away from Carey defenders. But we will find out Sat. how much team speed Carey has. If there as fast as some posters are saying they are than Coldwater is doomed.

If Coldwater gets out to a big lead Carey is not built to come back. If Carey puts the Cavs QB on the ground and gives him no time to execute their passing game than???? If Carey runs Lonsway off the right tackle who is going to YSU with the 265 pound Vallejo leading him either over the tackle or around the end their will be some heavy duty hits laid on unexpecting defenders. I watched this over and over again and no Kid is going to shed that Lineman who has no fat on him#56 and then deal with the man child at fullback. Just to have on opportunity to tackle the QB. Swarm to the ball and go low. But that's why they play the games. Interesting matchup.

Last edited:
Ok or maybe Springfield was overrated? According to HUDL Hopewell Loudon rushed for 250 yds. vs Carey, that same HL team rushed for zero yds. vs Marion Local. Carey I am sure is improved from the beginning of the season, but team speed does not change during the season and from the highlights i saw on HUDL the 225 lb. running back and HL QB were running away from Carey defenders. But we will find out Sat. how much team speed Carey has. If there as fast as some posters are saying they are than Coldwater is doomed.
I think both Coldwater and Carey have speed. I think Springfield had OBJ at reciever. #7 dropped like 4 passes. One was a majestic high launch spiral in a snow globe for a 50yrd td and he dropped it. 26 -21 Carey with about 3min to go if he catches it.

If Coldwater gets out to a big lead Carey is not built to come back. If Carey puts the Cavs QB on the ground and gives him no time to execute their passing game than???? If Carey runs Lonsway off the right tackle who is going to YSU with the 265 pound Vallejo leading him either over the tackle or around the end their will be some heavy duty hits laid on unexpecting defenders. I watched this over and over again and no Kid is going to shed that Lineman who has no fat on him#56 and then deal with the man child at fullback. Just to have on opportunity to tackle the QB. Swarm to the ball and go low. But that's why they play the games. Interesting matchup.
Seems like both teams are playing their best ball of the year so agree...should be an interesting matchup.

First of all congrats to Cavs on win last week.

Second sorry to hear of the injury to the one young man from CW.

Third the weather, MAC intimidation, WJ history v. MAC, bad referee calls........................NONE had anything to do with the outcome of the game. The team that sustained drives, blocked & tackled better and executed better won the game. You take away a few plays and the game is much closer than it may have seemed to those not there, but that is what championship teams do.

I always get a kick out of teams who have no experience with state champion level teams talk about how much faster they will be, how they will pound them into the ground and the defense will be like nothing you have seen. I also liked the one who indicated "if" coaching comes into play then CW may have an edge. Coaching advantages starts in junior high, summer workouts, and of course during the season so coaching is always involved in a game and a factor.

The things I do know is CW has played several games against teams over the years that do resemble at least on paper a team like Carey and they will not be intimidated, will not tire out, will execute their own game play, will have plenty of speed, will run or throw the ball depending on what is working, and may give up some yards but not points. The fundamentals of the game are what enables CW to win on a continual basis.

No I do not have MACtosis as some like to call it..............I have respect for how they play the game. At the same time I can't wait for antoher opportunity to get to play them and the chance to kick their xss for a change!!! You have to keep knocking at the door and even kick the door down at some point.

I am going with Cavs 35 - Carey 21

Good luck to both teams and congrats on getting to the state finals!!!

Gosh this is such an interesting matchup with crazy contrasting styles. Its so hard to beat against MAC schools. Coldwater seemed to be struggling a bit heading into the Playoffs but man have they found their footing now. Can’t wait to see how this one plays out!

Gosh this is such an interesting matchup with crazy contrasting styles. Its so hard to beat against MAC schools. Coldwater seemed to be struggling a bit heading into the Playoffs but man have they found their footing now. Can’t wait to see how this one plays out!
Competition has something to do with that. It is interesting that these two teams combined have 3 losses all against D - 7 schools. To me this proves 7 divisions are 1 or 2 divisions too many.

I think it is obvious that there is not much difference between the top D - 6 schools and D - 7 schools. 6 divisions are plenty.
There isn't much difference between any two adjacent divisions really. Sometimes the best in D2 would beat the best in D1. Sometimes the best in D4 would beat the best in D3.

There isn't much difference between any two adjacent divisions really. Sometimes the best in D2 would beat the best in D1. Sometimes the best in D4 would beat the best in D3.
Indiana has 6 divisions in fb. They do something interesting with what they call a tournament success factor here… https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihs...ctor/Tournament Success Factor Provisions.pdf

Basically you make the state championship game 2 years in a row, you automatically move up one division. By no means am I saying Ohio should follow suit, but just outside the box thinking. The Catholic schools in the Ft Wayne area are perennial powerhouses and they recruit hard. This was their way of trying to even the playing field.

Indiana has 6 divisions in fb. They do something interesting with what they call a tournament success factor here… https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Tournament Success Factor/Tournament Success Factor Provisions.pdf

Basically you make the state championship game 2 years in a row, you automatically move up one division. By no means am I saying Ohio should follow suit, but just outside the box thinking. The Catholic schools in the Ft Wayne area are perennial powerhouses and they recruit hard. This was their way of trying to even the playing field.

I thought the move to seven divisions was stupid just because it was possible to play six games in two days. Now with a seventh game, there is a third day.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be people complaining that another class/division is needed. The complainers are usually the small schools in the divisions with the biggest and the smallest schools. In Ohio, D1 has no maximum so the smallest school in D1 may be much smaller than the biggest one. And D7 has a minimum of zero, so the biggest school in D7 could be triple or quadruple the size of the smallest school.

Of course, all the other sports get by with four divisions or less.

I thought the move to seven divisions was stupid just because it was possible to play six games in two days. Now with a seventh game, there is a third day.

Unfortunately, there are always going to be people complaining that another class/division is needed. The complainers are usually the small schools in the divisions with the biggest and the smallest schools. In Ohio, D1 has no maximum so the smallest school in D1 may be much smaller than the biggest one. And D7 has a minimum of zero, so the biggest school in D7 could be triple or quadruple the size of the smallest school.

Of course, all the other sports get by with four divisions or less.
Ha! I played at one of those schools that was close to zero. It’s a debate that will never end I suppose.

Ha! I played at one of those schools that was close to zero. It’s a debate that will never end I suppose.
Good conversation. Football is different from all other sports, with physicality being the biggest reason. Seven divisions does allow for team rosters, within each division, to be somewhat similar. A lesser number of divisions would allow a larger differential in team rosters. I feel that the number of football divisions is OK. Some posters currently don’t like the playoff blowouts now. If there were more teams in each division, there would likely be bigger blowouts.

IMG_20210813_164840.jpg

I believe Coach Reed would be proud of this team.

Indiana has 6 divisions in fb. They do something interesting with what they call a tournament success factor here… https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Tournament Success Factor/Tournament Success Factor Provisions.pdf

Basically it's going to state and making it to semi state the following year. Goes in 2 year cycles and I think it would benefit Ohio in D4-D7 at least. I think the competitive balance with tweaking would help Indiana.

Basically it's going to state and making it to semi state the following year. Goes in 2 year cycles and I think it would benefit Ohio in D4-D7 at least. I think the competitive balance with tweaking would help Indiana.
As an alumni and fan of a team that would have greatly benefitted from that model this year I don't like the idea of it. Good chance St. Henry is playing this weekend if this system is in place. Marion Local would probably be in D4 by now, but it would feel empty in my opinion knowing that you didn't have to go through them to make it there.

I don't understand punishing the future players for their team being good in the past. Divisions are set based upon size, not success, should stay that way.

I do remember the Cavs squeaking by Mooney in 07.
Mooney had some large boys on that team which was ranked 8th in the US according to USATODAY.
;)

Buzzards Glory, you are about to embark on a great crusade, toward which you have striven these many months.

The eyes of the Village, The MAC and state are upon you. The hopes and prayers of Coldwater and football loving people everywhere march with you.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your opponent is well trained, well coached and battle-hardened. They will fight savagely.

Good luck, and let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this noble undertaking.

Late in the game when it gets tough, and the opponent is looking for your surrender simply answer: "Nuts", and continue to fight to the end.

God Bless America.

God Bless the MAC.

And....God Bless the Coldwater Cavaliers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.