Division VI State Championship: Carey (14-1) vs Coldwater (13-2)

Who wins the state championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I've only watched the WJ game but it looks like we will have a substantial speed advantage. The Cavs ran some jet sweep type plays that got to the edge on that WJ defense that wont have much success on our D. Conti will be the fastest guy on the field by far. Our LB's are very quick. The MLB who's a junior now was a starting TB as a freshman. I worry about #88. Our pass d is not great. I wont be shocked if CW leans pretty heavily on the pass game.

Again only one game Ive seen, but both those teams look slow. There wasnt a whole lot of speed on the field in that one.
the Cavs, are pretty dang good passing the ball, very athletic kids, Carey will have to put pressure on the Cavs QB, if he has time to throw, cavs will move the ball up and down the field. I do think that Carey will be able to run the ball against the Cavs, don't get fancy, just pound the ball , the key is how good is your pass defense.....

Holy schnikey batman! Not only is Carey the size of a D1 college team, they possess MORE SPEED than CW.

Well, the buckeyes arent in the B10 game saturday but it appears they are playing Saturday at 3pm in Canton.

Coldwater folks: Dont waste your time and money Saturday in making that trip to NEO as this is going to be an absolute blowout. Be thankful if ya can keep this from becoming a running clock. Those small, slow, lethargic, weak kids you produce on a yearly basis is just no match this weekend. When I was watching in on WOSN yesterday I thought there was a video problem with it being in slow motion but I called their service line and there were no issues, the team was just that s l o w.

Bigger, faster and stronger than the Cavaliers...........Well, it was a decent season for the Cavaliers. 3 losses is a bit below par but at least a trip to the finals is something to hang your hat on. They do lose pretty much all their offensive production so Saturday is likely the beginning of the end of the Cavalier football program as they, and the MAC, will be way down next year. It was a good run and something the Buzzards should be very proud of.

P.S.
Where can I get my Carey State Championship Hoodie?
so do you think the Cavs maybe getting out of the MAC after this year? somebody contact the FORT from Shelby county....

Archbold got beat up on the line of scrimmage by Liberty Center who in turn got beat up on the line of scrimmage by Carey. Newman would have been able to make a couple of plays here and there (like Brungard did) but there is no way in heck that Archbold stops Carey's run game. That OL and DL for Carey would have wreaked havoc on Archbold.
Somehow, Archbold crushed them in the regular season.

We will see on Sat

Only if you can tell me how Delphos Jeff was within 7 of Coldwater in the 3rd qtr.
The Delphos St. Johns and Jefferson games are head scratchers, for sure. If Coldwater plays like they did against the Delphos teams, Carey wins easily, but it appears Coldwater has it together now.

So will you answer how H-L and Coldwater compare? I'm genuinely curious how you see it.

Excerpt from Chris Easterling's writeup in The Repository on all the games this weekend.

"Here's who's to watch out for in this game:

Reece Dellinger, Coldwater, quarterback​

New quarterback, no problem for the Cavaliers. Dellinger has been exceptional as the QB for Coldwater, replacing Myles Blasingame. On the season, he’s completed 168 of 276 passes for 2,915 yards. He’s thrown 28 TD passes. In the last two games combined, Dellinger is 34-of-46 for 483 yards with five scores. He’s also a capable runner, gaining for more than 300 yards on roughly 70 carries.

Isaac Fullenkamp, Coldwater, running back/linebacker​

A defensive stalwart for the Cavaliers, who return to Stark County looking for a second consecutive state championship and the school’s eighth title overall. As a linebacker, he’s recorded more than 120 total tackles on the season, and more than 14 tackles for loss. Not only that, but he’s also been Coldwater’s leading rusher with more than 900 yards on the season. In the state semifinal win over West Jefferson, Fullenkamp rushed for 117 yards and two TDs on 21 carries.

Landen Kemerley, Carey, linebacker​

The run the Blue Devils have been on to reach the state championship game has been predicated on two things: running the ball and playing strong defense. That second one is where Kemerley comes into the picture. The linebacker has been a tackling machine for Carey, which has won 14 in a row since opening the season with a loss to Hopewell-Loudon. He’s accumulated more than 140 total tackles, including more than 30 tackles for loss.

Derek Lonsway, Carey, quarterback​

The counter to the big and physical Jordan Vallejo, Lonsway adeptly pilots the Blue Devils’ old-school rushing offense. On the season, he’s run for more yards than he’s thrown for, which is par for the course when the Carey offense is operating at peak performance. Lonsway has run for 1,273 yards and 12 TDs on the season. That includes a combined 164 yards on 20 carries and two scores over the last two weeks. Lonsway has thrown for less than 1,200 yards, including a game two weeks ago when he completed just 1-of-2 passes for 37 yards in a regional final win over Liberty Center.

Tyler Schwieterman, Coldwater, receiver/safety​

The top target for the Cavaliers’ passing game is also only the sixth one in program history to top 1,000 yards receiving. Schwieterman has 50 catches for 1,068 yards. He also has nine TDs. It was his 36-yard catch with 1:36 remaining in the fourth quarter that helped Coldwater tie New Middletown Springfield at 35-35 In last year’s Division VI state championship game. The Cavaliers went on to win it on a last-second Brady Klingshirn field goal. Schwieterman also is a key defensive standout for Coldwater, with more than 60 total tackles, a fumble recovery, a forced fumble and two interceptions.

Jordan Vallejo, Carey, running back​

The big, physical running back is part of a two-headed rushing attack that the Blue Devils have ridden this season to their first state title game appearance since winning the 1975 Class A title under former Massillon Tiger player and Jackson head coach Tom Geschwind. Vallejo came into the state semifinals last week against New Middletown Springfield with 1,388 rushing yards and 31 TDs. In the win over Springfield, Vallejo found the end zone three times on his 153-yard rushing night."

The Delphos St. Johns and Jefferson games are head scratchers, for sure. If Coldwater plays like they did against the Delphos teams, Carey wins easily, but it appears Coldwater has it together now.

So will you answer how H-L and Coldwater compare? I'm genuinely curious how you see it.

That's a long time ago for this old, battered mind to remember. I recall them having the fast kid on the outside, as someone mentioned above, and a stud 230 ish RB. I dont recall coming away from that game thinking how fast they were so much as how terrible we looked. I know we were doubled up in yardage! I told the wife on the way home and anyone else who would listen the rest of that weekend, "its the best group we've ever had and this idiot is gonna waste it." The following week, we played a bad Galion team and were down at halftime. I was out of my mind angry. Since the 2nd half of that game we've pretty much dominated everybody we've played. As for that first game, as far as I remember, HL had the ball the entire game because our offense couldnt get a 1st down. It was very bad. We still should've won. I'm pretty sure we had a 7-0 lead and they had driven down to the 30 or so and Conti picked off a pass that was overturned on a very questionable PI call. They ended up scoring on that drive. They had a second TD drive where we stopped them on 4th down and it was extended on another weak PI call. We scored in the 4th to make it a 1 score game. With about 5 mins to go our coach faked a punt from our own 20 and it failed, giving them a quick 20 yd td drive. Game over. I do know we had 2 sophmores starting on D that night due to suspensions and injuries who havent seen a snap since. And Vallejo was still a defensive lineman at that point in the season. Our coach isnt known for figuring out what he has early in the season. Lol. 2 years ago we lost early to a Bucyrus team that won 2 games all year and we ended up making it to the Regional final.

I cant make a comparison as to Coldwater and HL. I just watched CW/WJ on youtube and I haven't seen HL since August. What I can tell you is they kicked our tail.

If it comes down to coaching, you guys have a huge advantage.

Last edited:
Excerpt from Chris Easterling's writeup in The Repository on all the games this weekend.

New quarterback, no problem for the Cavaliers. Dellinger has been exceptional as the QB for Coldwater, replacing Myles Blasingame. On the season, he’s completed 168 of 276 passes for 2,915 yards. He’s thrown 28 TD passes. In the last two games combined, Dellinger is 34-of-46 for 483 yards with five scores. He’s also a capable runner, gaining for more than 300 yards on roughly 70 carries.

A defensive stalwart for the Cavaliers, who return to Stark County looking for a second consecutive state championship and the school’s eighth title overall. As a linebacker, he’s recorded more than 120 total tackles on the season, and more than 14 tackles for loss. Not only that, but he’s also been Coldwater’s leading rusher with more than 900 yards on the season. In the state semifinal win over West Jefferson, Fullenkamp rushed for 117 yards and two TDs on 21 carries.

The run the Blue Devils have been on to reach the state championship game has been predicated on two things: running the ball and playing strong defense. That second one is where Kemerley comes into the picture. The linebacker has been a tackling machine for Carey, which has won 14 in a row since opening the season with a loss to Hopewell-Loudon. He’s accumulated more than 140 total tackles, including more than 30 tackles for loss.

The counter to the big and physical Jordan Vallejo, Lonsway adeptly pilots the Blue Devils’ old-school rushing offense. On the season, he’s run for more yards than he’s thrown for, which is par for the course when the Carey offense is operating at peak performance. Lonsway has run for 1,273 yards and 12 TDs on the season. That includes a combined 164 yards on 20 carries and two scores over the last two weeks. Lonsway has thrown for less than 1,200 yards, including a game two weeks ago when he completed just 1-of-2 passes for 37 yards in a regional final win over Liberty Center.

The top target for the Cavaliers’ passing game is also only the sixth one in program history to top 1,000 yards receiving. Schwieterman has 50 catches for 1,068 yards. He also has nine TDs. It was his 36-yard catch with 1:36 remaining in the fourth quarter that helped Coldwater tie New Middletown Springfield at 35-35 In last year’s Division VI state championship game. The Cavaliers went on to win it on a last-second Brady Klingshirn field goal. Schwieterman also is a key defensive standout for Coldwater, with more than 60 total tackles, a fumble recovery, a forced fumble and two interceptions.

The big, physical running back is part of a two-headed rushing attack that the Blue Devils have ridden this season to their first state title game appearance since winning the 1975 Class A title under former Massillon Tiger player and Jackson head coach Tom Geschwind. Vallejo came into the state semifinals last week against New Middletown Springfield with 1,388 rushing yards and 31 TDs. In the win over Springfield, Vallejo found the end zone three times on his 153-yard rushing night."

Cool article. Thanks.

Really surprised there is no mention of Muhlenkamp and Meyer.

Rewatched the Springfield game this morning. Anyone notice Conti running down Brungard on his 80 yd run. Given, Beau stiff armed him face first into the turf and still scored, but he was faster. Dont discount Carey's speed.

But that 1 completion was maybe the biggest play of the game. LC had Carey at 3rd and around 15 from their own 35 and Lonsway threw a 40+ yard bomb on a double move that Conti made a fingertip catch on but his speed threw off the LC safety as he had to choose to make a play on the ball or the receiver and I think hesitated on both until it was too late and Conti made a spectacular catch. LC's safety should have had a fairly routine pass break up but took his eyes off the ball to play the receiver due to his surprising speed and ended up giving up the big play.

Think both WJ & NM Springfield were affected by the weather last week. It's Ohio so you have to be ready for anything, but if the weather forecast holds out, the advantage that Carey held last week will definitely be mitigated.
Agreed! Brungard put three dimes on his receiver Joyce last week that each would have gained over 30 yards and he dropped everyone of them. One would have been a walk in touchdown as Joyce easily had 5 yards separation. The weather was a factor all game and favored Carey's methodical downhill attack.

Well, history isn’t on Carey’s side, I will say that much. The MAC teams have been dominate against just about everyone, but especially hard on the old MAL teams.

I find your view of Coldwater team speed interesting.

They are not very big, but from where I sit (watch) they have great team speed. Win or lose I bet you may view their team speed a little different come Sunday morning.

Possibly. I think alot of people seen footage of Carey playing in the snow and got the impression that we just pound the ball for 7 yds a pop every game with a huge, slow back. It also appears that people think our defense that has given up 3 legit TDs (one on a 20 yd drive after a KO return) in the playoffs was only able to shut NMS down because it was snowing and not because our guys were just as fast.

My gut says people will view Carey's team speed a little different come Sunday morning.

Agreed! Brungard put three dimes on his receiver Joyce last week that each would have gained over 30 yards and he dropped everyone of them. One would have been a walk in touchdown as Joyce easily had 5 yards separation. The weather was a factor all game and favored Carey's methodical downhill attack.
Why couldn't Brungard run with the football, did the snow stop him from running?

Why couldn't Brungard run with the football, did the snow stop him from running?
Oh he ran. Check out the OH Report game footage. Had an 80 yard TD run where he put on a shimmy and then planted the safety with a stiff arm.
Think the impact was their passing game effectiveness disappeared so they became very 1 dimensional.
Not making excuses - Carey left little doubt who was better Sat night. They executed to a much higher level than Springfield.

I'm one of the people who expected to see Springfield facing Coldwater this week. Carey deserves to be here and has had a great run to the state championship. I expect this to be a competitive game, back and forth, with Coldwater scoring late to take the title. I'll say:

Coldwater 35
Carey 21

This will be similar to the 2000 playoffs when the Mogadore fans were licking their chops after MSML snapped Delphos St. John's winning streak. "Whew, dodged a bullet there! Don't have to face the Blue Jays!" Similar sentiment coming from Coldwater, "Whew, dodged a bullet there! Don't have to face Brungard!" Be careful what you wish for sometimes!

Prediction:
Carey 54
Coldwater 0

I think it will be a competitive game. Doubtful it’s a blowout either way. One thing I notice as the Carey playoff games get into the 3rd and 4th quarter is the back end of opposing defenses have less interest in tackling #24. His 15 yd td against Springfield, 3 kids had legit opportunity to hit him and it appeared they chose not to. It will help if Coldwater is able to gang tackle, but at some point, kids might second guess their instinct. Should be an interesting matchup and hope both teams are healthy.

Last edited:
Well, history isn’t on Carey’s side, I will say that much. The MAC teams have been dominate against just about everyone, but especially hard on the old MAL teams.
A lot of great hs football tradition comes out of that area. Definitely some of the greatest teams.

This will be similar to the 2000 playoffs when the Mogadore fans were licking their chops after MSML snapped Delphos St. John's winning streak. "Whew, dodged a bullet there! Don't have to face the Blue Jays!" Similar sentiment coming from Coldwater, "Whew, dodged a bullet there! Don't have to face Brungard!" Be careful what you wish for sometimes!

Prediction:
Carey 54
Coldwater 0
Not a bad prediction. Is that for just the first quarter or the entire first half?

Possibly. I think alot of people seen footage of Carey playing in the snow and got the impression that we just pound the ball for 7 yds a pop every game with a huge, slow back. It also appears that people think our defense that has given up 3 legit TDs (one on a 20 yd drive after a KO return) in the playoffs was only able to shut NMS down because it was snowing and not because our guys were just as fast.

My gut says people will view Carey's team speed a little different come Sunday morning.
I have no doubt I will view Carey differently come Sunday morning. As others have said, teams reach this final game for a reason, and that applies to both schools.

I can still recall the first time I saw Kirtland overpower a quality MAC opponent, and JFK did it with speed and precision at the skill positions. So, I am taking the stance of waiting to be impressed, by either school.

Status
Not open for further replies.