Pop, Soda, Or Coke? What do you refer to it as?

Just wondering, when I lived in Ohio, I remember a lot of people saying “Pop” if they wanted a soft drink? They’d say “Hey, can you hand me a pop please?” Now I’m in Colorado, everyone just says “Soda” here instead of “pop”? I heard down in the southern states they just call everything a “Coke” there or something? They’ll say like “What kind of Coke do you want today?”

What’s your take on this? Would you refer to a soft drink as a Pop, A soda? Or a Coke?

oh yeah, I'd forgotten that. Guess the name worked pretty good.
Being honest here, this was my favorite pop as a kid. Ma had to hide them.
Alka-Seltzer-1536x1152.jpg

Velcro.
Speedo.
Super Glue (remember hearing many times as a kid how we would "super glue" something back together).
Channel Locks (I recklessly refer to any tongue and groove pliers as Channel Locks).
My mom would call any adjustable wrench a Crescent Wrench.

Last edited:
My mom bought us Fizzies. Just add water and you have instant pop. They were banned because they contained cyclamates, but were reintroduced when aspartame was developed. Now they come with sucralose.

My mom bought us Fizzies. Just add water and you have instant pop. They were banned because they contained cyclamates, but were reintroduced when aspartame was developed. Now they come with sucralose.

Well,
that sounds much more kid friendly.

Reactions: SLS
Came to the Dayton area from a half-mile from Lake Erie to attend college. Was surprised when I met older age locals and they would say would you like a pop? Get what you like out of the Frigidaire. Surprise the refrigerator might not even be made by Frigidaire but that is what they were called. Had to do with Frididare products being made right in Dayton.

Came to the Dayton area from a half-mile from Lake Erie to attend college. Was surprised when I met older age locals and they would say would you like a pop? Get what you like out of the Frigidaire. Surprise the refrigerator might not even be made by Frigidaire but that is what they were called. Had to do with Frididare products being made right in Dayton.

So THAT's why the guy in Lima kept referring to my Pinto as a "tank."

The year was 1954 and our family took a vacation to the New England States and made an important stop in Taunton Ma. the birthplace of my Dad. Got to meet an older couple that happened to be my dad's aunt and uncle. During the visit, I was asked by my great aunt if I would like a tonic. I whispered to my mom I'm not sick and my mom told me that is what they call pop. What is your favorite tonic?