Week 13: D-III Region 9 Semi-Final #4 Canfield Cardinals (11-1) vs #1 Chardon Hilltoppers (12-0)

Who wins this rematch from week 10 last year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was wrong Niles is hosting a game it is LaBrae vs Mogadore. Really that should be the game at Girard, and Chardon vs Canfield should be at Niles. That would just make better sense all around

I was wrong Niles is hosting a game it is LaBrae vs Mogadore. Really that should be the game at Girard, and Chardon vs Canfield should be at Niles. That would just make better sense all around
Boardman is also hosting West Branch-Perry but that is also Friday night.

I would agree but Niles is hosting LaBrae-Mogadore Saturday so Girard was not the only bid in the area.
I did see that afterwards. You would have thought Chardon/Canfield would've been a better set up at Niles

Does anyone know if Niles bid to host on Friday night?
I don't know but Boardman obviously did as they are hosting WB-Perry.

I have to assume that Warren Harding and Fitch didn't bid. If the Canfield-Chardon game is going to be played in the area Mollenkopf would probably be the stadium for it geographically and from a capacity stand point.

Last edited:
How many fans can Girard hold?
And i thought that stadium was relatively new?
According to ohiostadiums.com Girard seats 4000

I haven't seen the turf for about 4 years but it was a mess back then, it actually looked like old time astro turf.

According to ohiostadiums.com Girard seats 4000

I haven't seen the turf for about 4 years but it was a mess back then, it actually looked like old time astro turf.
It only holds 4000 if they count the auxiliary band seating in the endzones and even then it is pushing it. If you only count the actual home and away side it is only 3500 roughly.

Local preview for this year…

“Anyone who thinks the Hilltoppers are going to fall off this year after winning the state title last season are going to be disappointed. This team has a slew of talent back, including 19 letterwinners. The line is big and physical, as always, and there’s a deep stable of running backs for the run-oriented offense…

…The defense has only has two returning starters — Nathanael Sulka and Trey Liebhardt — but the preseason has seen this unit playing with a ferocity that is the linchpin of Chardon defenses. Kicker Nathan Tager is one of the area’s best weapons in special teams.”

It only holds 4000 if they count the auxiliary band seating in the endzones and even then it is pushing it. If you only count the actual home and away side it is only 3500 roughly.
Now how would you actually know the breakdown on their seating?

It doesn't state that, just that the stadium capacity is 4000 at Girard's Arrowhead Stadium. Also, Canfield's Cardinal Stadium is listed as having 4050 seating capacity on ohiostadiums.com, so you beat Girard by 50 seats.

Now how would you actually know the breakdown on their seating?

It doesn't state that, just that the stadium capacity is 4000 at Girard's Arrowhead Stadium. Also, Canfield's Cardinal Stadium is listed as having 4050 seating capacity on ohiostadiums.com, so you beat Girard by 50 seats.
There was an article in the paper when the new seating was built that said what the approximate seating capacities were. For what it is worth I don't think Canfield is a very good stadium or venue, the majority of the seating on the home side was built in the 1980's, with the exception of the newly built student seating. The fact Canfield has about the same capacity is neither here nor there.

I just thought they should have played at Mollenkoff Stadium, Greenwood/Falcon Stadium, Spartan Stadium, or Bo Rein as they are all much nicer and larger facilities. Also the fact that Girard's surface is so old and worn out is worrisome, a player may get injured as a result of its poor condition.

There was an article in the paper when the new seating was built that said what the approximate seating capacities were. For what it is worth I don't think Canfield is a very good stadium or venue, the majority of the seating on the home side was built in the 1980's, with the exception of the newly built student seating. The fact Canfield has about the same capacity is neither here nor there.

I just thought they should have played at Mollenkoff Stadium, Greenwood/Falcon Stadium, Spartan Stadium, or Bo Rein as they are all much nicer and larger facilities. Also the fact that Girard's surface is so old and worn out is worrisome, a player may get injured as a result of its poor condition.
Obviously those locations you mentioned are a way better than Girard, but they didn't put in to host the game, so the OSHAA can't just force them to host. Instead you should just be thankful that Canfield has the nice short trip over to Girard, instead of how far Chardon has to travel to the game.

That statement I agree with...but their stands are pretty nice though.
There is nothing wrong with the stands it is just the fact that since Chardon is the higher seed, they get the home side, and the visitors side is quite a bit smaller than the home side, and Canfield might actually not have enough seating on the away side since the game is not too far.

Is there any monetary benefit to host these playoff games?
Not sure on all the details of that. I know you Hubbard guys were wondering why Hubbard doesn't get any playoff games, and I'm sure they could have got this one, but I bet your AD, didn't bother putting in a bid

There is nothing wrong with the stands it is just the fact that since Chardon is the higher seed, they get the home side, and the visitors side is quite a bit smaller than the home side, and Canfield might actually not have enough seating on the away side since the game is not too far.
Go sit on the Chardon side, and make it a Canfield home game. Lol

Go sit on the Chardon side, and make it a Canfield home game. Lol
I didn't even go to the last game in person because it was too cold and that was a home game. I would have considered going to this one if they played at Boardman, Fitch or anywhere else within 10 minutes or so (ie South Range). I am also not a fan of the $10 tickets and the fees and surcharges and the online/phone only...

I didn't even go to the last game in person because it was too cold and that was a home game. I would have considered going to this one if they played at Boardman, Fitch or anywhere else within 10 minutes or so (ie South Range). I am also not a fan of the $10 tickets and the fees and surcharges and the online/phone only...
Honestly Girard is not that much further ride from Austintown. Hop on rt 11 to rt. 80, and there in hardly no time

I'll settle this.
Should play it at the "Beautiful-Beautiful" Memorial Stadium that seats 5,000 + one lucky band would get the nicest bandshell in the area.