Week 12: D-III Region 9 #5 Hubbard Eagles (10-1) at the #4 Canfield Cardinals (10-1)

Who wins this rematch from 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure it'd be that easy to rearrange the league schedule? If the league opponent already filled their ooc, they're not going to let Hubbard move a league game just to accommodate Hubbard. League would probably tell Hubbard to pound salt anyways. They'll say you get 3 weeks open for a reason.
Weeks 4 -10 are set in stone in the NE8.

Week #2 is open Canfield call the Hubbard AD let's do this.

Weeks 4 -10 are set in stone in the NE8.
Week #2 is open Canfield call the Hubbard AD let's do this.
Canfield does not have week 2 open, if you want a game week 2, you have Poland or Niles play you week 2 and then they move their game against Howland to later in the season and you play Canfield in their place. This is exactly the arrangement they have in the Federal League to accommodate Massillon vs McKinley week 10.

Canfield does not have week 2 open, if you want a game week 2, you have Poland or Niles play you week 2 and then they move their game against Howland to later in the season and you play Canfield in their place. This is exactly the arrangement they have in the Federal League to accommodate Massillon vs McKinley week 10.
It’s a lot easier for an independent to move around games then it is for a team in a conference. Do you think an AD wants to actually work harder to accommodate someone else? Lol

It’s a lot easier for an independent to move around games then it is for a team in a conference. Do you think an AD wants to actually work harder to accommodate someone else? Lol
Canfield can't move the Dover game from week 2 because they have no other mutual open weeks. Canfield's only other open week I think is week 6. Canfield would be able to accommodate Hubbard in Week 2, if Poland could play them week 6 instead of week 1. In this instance Dover could flip their 1st and 2nd week opponents because Dover's week 1 opponent is open week 2 right now.
But there is no way for Hubbard to play Canfield unless the NE8 is willing to make accommodations one way or the other.
Canfield has a contract with Dover so they can't just drop them without paying a penalty.

Agreed. You would basically have to have 3 ADs come to an agreement for one game. The conference team who would in theory be helping Hubbard would then have to scramble to fill the week they moved from. Who approves or denies conference decisions, a committee?

Worst case scenario Canfield will just play a Senate League team or an out of state team.

Agreed. You would basically have to have 3 ADs come to an agreement for one game. The conference team who would in theory be helping Hubbard would then have to scramble to fill the week they moved from. Who approves or denies conference decisions, a committee?
They wouldn't have to scramble really because a lot of the league members play Howland, East or Chaney who could easily swap dates to make this happen. If everyone else had a regular league then it would not be as realistic, but Howland, East and Chaney are essentially independent.

Also think about it this way, if you’re a conference opponent, would you want Hubbard to play Canfield? Normally no because normally Canfield is superior, so if you beat Hubbard you want hubbards wins as well

we should be back in division 4 next year. I would want the canfield game on the schedule because most years canfield is better than any team in region 13. even if we lose more then win that game would prepare hubbard for a playoff run

As far as I know Canfield already has Dover penciled in for week 2 next year. I think Canfield has a vacancy week 3 and perhaps one or two later in the season.
If they do play it will have to be week 3 or Hubbard will have to rearrange it's league schedule which would be really easy to do but I doubt they will do.
Basically the way it works is Hubbard plays a league opponent week 2 and that league opponent plays Howland or who ever they prefer in lieu of Hubbard their normal week. And Hubbard plays Canfield in the middle of league play. This is similar to the arrangement McKinley has with Massillon and the Federal League.
What week is September 2 because on arbiter Poland is on their schedule.

What week is September 2 because on arbiter Poland is on their schedule.
Well Poland was originally week 1, but looks like they are week 3 now. Here is Canfield's updated schedule with notes about relevant teams:

8/19 H/A TBA/TBD (Steubenville and Louisville play, Kenston pays Chagrin Falls, ND-CL plays Willoughby South, Howland plays Niles)

8/26 A Dover [III:9] (Poland plays Louisville week 2, Steubenville plays New Philadelphia, Kenston Open, ND-CL plays Olentangy, Howland plays Ravenna)

9/2 H Poland Seminary [IV:13] (Dover plays Indian Valley, New Philadelphia plays Wooster, Kenston plays ND-CL, Howland plays Hubbard)

9/9 H/A TBA/TBD (New Philadelphia plays Ashland, Kenston plays North, ND-CL plays Gilmour, Howland plays Gilmour)

9/16 H Chaney [III:9] (ND-CL Open, Howland plays West Branch)

9/23 H/A TBA/TBD (New Philadelphia plays Mount Vernon, Chardon plays Kenston, ND-CL plays East Liverpool)

9/30 A Austintown-Fitch [II:5]

10/7 A East [III:9] (Howland plays Chaney)

10/14 H Howland [III:9] (Louisville is Open)

10/21H Boardman [II:5] (Dover plays New Philadelphia, ND-CL plays Lake Catholic, Howland plays University School)

No they are in different leagues.
I know when I played for Canfield back in the 90's we played Hubbard, off the top of my head I also recall playing the McDonald Blue Devils, the West Side Patriots, the Austintown Falcons, the Campbell Saints, the Wilson Fighting Redmen, the Austintown Colts, the Boardman Spartans, the Howland Tigers, the Poland Bulldogs, the Alliance Aviators, and Jackson-Milton Bluejays.
They also played St. Christine's, St. Charles, Hickory, Holy Family, Matthews, LaBrae, Maple Heights, and Struthers at some levels.

Apparently Canfield had a really long winning streak where the kids just kept on winning at every level over the course of like 4 seasons (ie 120 lbs (boys 10 & under), 140 lbs (boys 12 & under) etc.), this was around like 2012 when it started.

It is a match up a lot of us wanted in the regular season, but we will have to settle for week 12. Hubbard's sole defeat was to Canfield South Range in week 10, where they were shutout and completely dominated in every facet of the game. Canfield's sole defeat was a controversial and close defeat to the Dover Tornadoes on the last play of the game. The only mutual opponents were Poland and New Philadelphia. Canfield won 24-12 over the Bulldogs and 35-0 over the Quakers, Hubbard won 27-23 over the former and won just this week 39-20 against the later. Will TC Caffey be able to lead the way and solve this tough Canfield defense to lead the Eagles to victory or will Broc Lowry and the Cardinals potent offense and lights out defense be too much for the Eagles?

From Sportster's thread: Hubbard knocks off NP 39-20. Canfield blew out NDCL 42-14. Hubbard coming in will be a big underdog. But if Hubbard wants to make a name for themselves, this would be the game to do it in. Thoughts?
Controversial cal really, their was a lot of controversial calls both ways

Hubbard wins by a TD 28-21

Do Hubbard and Canfield kids play each other in youth football?
They were in the same league for years, after Covid Canfield went to a different league because the league they were in canceled the season in 2020. Both leagues have ups and downs, part of the problem with Hubbard current youth league is Hubbard plays 7th graders majority of local teams do not put 7th graders on youth program where Hubbard does. Not saying it’s good or bad, but made it hard for Canfield and others to compete vs Hubbard in the league where it was 6th graders vs 6th & 7th graders. As for junior high, Canfield both teams this yr were undefeated 7th (who went 8-0) and (8th who went 8-0-1 tying Alliance) both teams pretty much ran through every local team. I don’t think the starters for 7th grade only finished 1 game, and were out by halftime or early 3rd qtr most of the games.