Week 12: D-III Region 9 #5 Hubbard Eagles (10-1) at the #4 Canfield Cardinals (10-1)

Who wins this rematch from 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Starting field position can play a big role in this game as well. Even with a very good punter, Hubbard was unable to flip the field on SR. Hubbard was constantly starting at or within their own 20. Whereas SR was setting up near the 50 a lot. Penalties commited by Hubbard and a lack of ability to run out of the wing contributed to that big time. Even if Hubbard doesn't score on a given drive against Canfield, moving the ball to give the defense some breathing room will be a must.

Girard put 42 up already a couple minutes before half. Gilmore academy does not look like a good football team at all
In Gilmore’s defense, they lost their do it all star QB on their first offensive play of the game and his brother didnt play either. I wasn’t surprised by Girard scoring but it would have been a much closer game if the twin brothers were both on the football field.

Heard talk of a regular season game Week 2 next season, if Hubbard agrees,….
Hubbard's AD would jump at the chance to fill their open week #2 with Canfield. Word around town is he's been getting a lot of "no thank you's" for that open week.

I think Hubbard and Canfield match up evenly on defense. Haven’t seen Canfield. This could be a low scoring game to the end.
Canfield is much better defensively than Hubbard. Hubbard has the better rushing attack and Canfield has the better passing game. Canfield's primary kicker gets a touchback about 95% of the time.

Canfield is much better defensively than Hubbard. Hubbard has the better rushing attack and Canfield has the better passing game. Canfield's primary kicker gets a touchback about 95% of the time.
He wasn't being serious. Just messing with the Hubbard posters, which isn't hard to do. The Eagles won't lose because they were out manned. They'll lose because they'll be out coached and schemed. I've watched a lot of games this season, film and in person. Hubbard has the talent to play with anyone. For some reason they can't figure out how to utilize it.

He wasn't being serious. Just messing with the Hubbard posters, which isn't hard to do. The Eagles won't lose because they were out manned. They'll lose because they'll be out coached and schemed. I've watched a lot of games this season, film and in person. Hubbard has the talent to play with anyone. For some reason they can't figure out how to utilize it.
Sounds like some other team I know well

Hubbard's AD would jump at the chance to fill their open week #2 with Canfield. Word around town is he's been getting a lot of "no thank you's" for that open week.
This is just 100% not true. Hubbard AD had a chance to make it happen in reg season this year and declined. This is a fact. That’s why Cle JFK was on Canfield’s schedule.

I’ve seen both live, I don’t think it’s controversial to say Hubbard will be out manned. Lowery is a legit stud, and Canfield can match Hubbard in the trenches. #34 is a monster of a LB, and #4 is a very good receiver/runner. Hubbard has a good TB and Three big linemen, who else lol. Good season guys but don’t get your hopes up too high for this game. Canfield 34 Hubbard 17

I feel like Canfield’s 9 game winning streak isn’t appreciated enough rn.. 9-0, 7 varsity defense shutouts, offense averaging 34.7 PPG, varsity defense (backups have given up many TD’s) giving up 1.7 ppg.
We didn't really play anyone of note over those 9 games besides Boardman and Austintown Fitch. It isn't saying much when we play teams like JFK and Pleasant and the YCS.

This is just 100% not true. Hubbard AD had a chance to make it happen in reg season this year and declined. This is a fact. That’s why Cle JFK was on Canfield’s schedule.
What does "this year have to do with next season"? The Hubbard AD is still looking for a week #2 from what I understand for "next year".

Hubbard's schedule was "already set for the first 3 games for this year". Do you think that just maybe that's the reason why Hubbard's AD declined, if the call did actually happen?

My post was about next year, sounds like you might have to reread it, post #34.

What does "this year have to do with next season"? The Hubbard AD is still looking for a week #2 from what I understand for "next year".

Hubbard's schedule was "already set for the first 3 games for this year". Do you think that just maybe that's the reason why Hubbard's AD declined, if the call did actually happen?

My post was about next year, sounds like you might have to reread it, post #34.

Because it’s true. Why play Cleveland Shaw, Mooney or Norwayne when the rest of your schedule is D4, 5 and 6 teams. Only 2 Schools in D3 on Hubbards schedule.

I’ve seen both live, I don’t think it’s controversial to say Hubbard will be out manned. Lowery is a legit stud, and Canfield can match Hubbard in the trenches. #34 is a monster of a LB, and #4 is a very good receiver/runner. Hubbard has a good TB and Three big linemen, who else lol. Good season guys but don’t get your hopes up too high for this game. Canfield 34 Hubbard 17
I'm sorry I don't accept that. Canfield has been the more impressive team vs more impressive opponents this season. I completely understand that. What they have done replacing 4 starters from last year's offensive line is nothing short of amazing. Canfield reloads maybe like nobody else in our area. That's a testament.

On the Hubbard side there should be no excuses from any of the Hubbard faithful. Every player except one or two is a multi year starter. They returned their entire offensive and defensive line from last season. They have one of the best running backs, in a rich history of producing backs, in the back field. #6 is a good athlete who should be utilized every week like he was against NP and Niles. #8 is a strong runner who's done a good job taking some pressure off of Caffey. #21 is a junior 3 year starter who should be able to make a play when given the chance. On defense #17 flies to the ball well from his linebacker spot.

My point is, Hubbard has the pieces. Even if for most of the season it's looked like #22 and 3 good linemen and not much else. Maybe Canfield will dominate, Lowry will go off and the season is over. There's no one on the Hubbard side who should be content with that. I'm sorry. You play to win.

Because it’s true. Why play Cleveland Shaw, Mooney or Norwayne when the rest of your schedule is D4, 5 and 6 teams. Only 2 Schools in D3 on Hubbards schedule.
I heard Hubbard had 3 higher division games scheduled that fell through. They were forced to reschedule the 3 they had last minute. But if Canfield did call, I agree with you. Hubbard should have taken it. Only reason I can think that they wouldn't is they already had a new agreement in place and the call came late. Idk. Most of the Hubbard and Canfield kids in this game have played against each other in scrimmages as underclassmen. It would be a great game most years. If you ask me, make it happen.

1. Hubbard's schedule was "already set for 2021".
2. Hubbard needs a "week #2 next year" (2022), the Hubbard AD and the Hubbard faithful would gladly welcome Canfield on Hubbard's schedule next year.

Honestly, I'm really trying to make this as simple as I possibly can between "this year and next year", I hope it's not that confusing...

I heard Hubbard had 3 higher division games scheduled that fell through. They were forced to reschedule the 3 they had last minute. But if Canfield did call, I agree with you. Hubbard should have taken it. Only reason I can think that they wouldn't is they already had a new agreement in place and the call came late. Idk. Most of the Hubbard and Canfield kids in this game have played against each other in scrimmages as underclassmen. It would be a great game most years. If you ask me, make it happen.
Exactly...

I would like to see a 4 year deal with Canfield, 2 at Canfield and 2 at The Beautiful

Canfield senior class has about 6 very, very, very good players. One with a D1 offer, along with the rest having some sort of scholarships for the next level. Along with a big, talented junior class, Lowry is the best QB in Ohio for 2023. Also, I believe they have a 6’5 & 6’6 receivers out wide who didn’t even play last year. #25, the 3rd crawford, may be more of a powerful back than TC, not saying he’s better tho obviously. I can’t remember the last time he didn’t break 2-3 tackles on any given run.

As far as I know Canfield already has Dover penciled in for week 2 next year. I think Canfield has a vacancy week 3 and perhaps one or two later in the season.
If they do play it will have to be week 3 or Hubbard will have to rearrange it's league schedule which would be really easy to do but I doubt they will do.
Basically the way it works is Hubbard plays a league opponent week 2 and that league opponent plays Howland or who ever they prefer in lieu of Hubbard their normal week. And Hubbard plays Canfield in the middle of league play. This is similar to the arrangement McKinley has with Massillon and the Federal League.

As far as I know Canfield already has Dover penciled in for week 2 next year. I think Canfield has a vacancy week 3 and perhaps one or two later in the season.
If they do play it will have to be week 3 or Hubbard will have to rearrange it's league schedule which would be really easy to do but I doubt they will do.
Basically the way it works is Hubbard plays a league opponent week 2 and that league opponent plays Howland or who ever they prefer in lieu of Hubbard their normal week. And Hubbard plays Canfield in the middle of league play. This is similar to the arrangement McKinley has with Massillon and the Federal League.
Hubbard's schedule is already filled for week #1 and week #3 (Y-town East and Howland), Week #2 is open for next year. League play always begins week #4.

Hubbard's schedule is already filled for week #1 and week #3 (Y-town East and Howland), Week #2 is open for next year. League play always begins week #4.
I feel bad for East right now, I was told within 2-3 years all sports will be played at Chaney.

I think week 2 has been tough for valley schools to get games they usually come later when teams drop games and need to pick someone up.

As I said there is an easy solution to the scheduling problem for Hubbard and any other member schools that are having trouble getting a game any given week. It is pretty simple and straightforward actually.

I think week 2 has been tough for valley schools to get games they usually come later when teams drop games and need to pick someone up.
Word around Hubbard is the AD has been getting a lot of "no thank you's" for week #2 for next year.

WGS3P stated in post #19 Canfield was open in week #2 if Hubbard wants it. That would solve it for both schools if it's true.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure it'd be that easy to rearrange the league schedule? If the league opponent already filled their ooc, they're not going to let Hubbard move a league game just to accommodate Hubbard. League would probably tell Hubbard to pound salt anyways. They'll say you get 3 weeks open for a reason.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure it'd be that easy to rearrange the league schedule? If the league opponent already filled their ooc, they're not going to let Hubbard move a league game just to accommodate Hubbard. League would probably tell Hubbard to pound salt anyways. They'll say you get 3 weeks open for a reason.
Basically you have several teams including, East, Chaney, Howland, Mooney, that have fairly flexible schedules you find a league opponent that has one of these teams OOC and have them swap weeks. Any of the schools I mentioned would gladly swap to help fill in gaps in their schedule. The independents have a hard time finding games late in the season, but it is easier for them to schedule the first few weeks before league play starts.

The conference schedule is already set. There is no changing it. People forget there’s a conference for a reason sometimes. Mainly scheduling