Week 12: D-III Region 9 #5 Hubbard Eagles (10-1) at the #4 Canfield Cardinals (10-1)

Who wins this rematch from 2014?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simkon

It is a match up a lot of us wanted in the regular season, but we will have to settle for week 12. Hubbard's sole defeat was to Canfield South Range in week 10, where they were shutout and completely dominated in every facet of the game. Canfield's sole defeat was a controversial and close defeat to the Dover Tornadoes on the last play of the game. The only mutual opponents were Poland and New Philadelphia. Canfield won 24-12 over the Bulldogs and 35-0 over the Quakers, Hubbard won 27-23 over the former and won just this week 39-20 against the later. Will TC Caffey be able to lead the way and solve this tough Canfield defense to lead the Eagles to victory or will Broc Lowry and the Cardinals potent offense and lights out defense be too much for the Eagles?

From Sportster's thread: Hubbard knocks off NP 39-20. Canfield blew out NDCL 42-14. Hubbard coming in will be a big underdog. But if Hubbard wants to make a name for themselves, this would be the game to do it in. Thoughts?

Last edited:

I voted Canfield by one score. I almost choose 2 scores because of Hubbard's lack of discipline. I'm not sure if Canfield has seen A back close to Caffey. That gives me some pause in my prediction but I don't think Hubbard will be able to score with Canfield.

That being said, go Hubbard!

My guess is it will be hard for Hubbard to out-physical Canfield. Caffey would have to be brilliant for Hubbard to really be in this. That’s possible.

I think Hubbard plays pretty good defense. I think it’ll take some work for Canfield to score. But, they will.

I’ll say 27-7. I think Hubbard is pretty good and I hope this is a close game. I think it’ll be close for awhile, but t I think Canfield slowly pulls away.

Hopefully Hubbard posters are calling out that prediction after the game!

Courtesy of Roberto:
Hubbard Eagles vs Canfield Cardinals

1922 Hubbard 7-0
1923 A TIE 0-0
1924 DNP
1925 A Canfield 18-7
1926 Canfield 19-0
1927 A Canfield 7-6
1928 H Canfield 20-12
1929 Hubbard 7-6
1930 H Hubbard 41-0
1931-1959 DNP
1960 H Hubbard 44-20
1961-1980 DNP
1981 A Canfield 22-14
1982 H Hubbard 15-7
1983 A Hubbard 22-6
1984 H Hubbard 21-7
1985 A Hubbard 34-7
1986-1990 DNP
1991 H Hubbard 13-10
1992 A Hubbard 3-0
1993 H Canfield 12-0
1994 A Hubbard 9-6
1995-1996 DNP
1997 H Hubbard 35-13
1998 A Canfield 28-0
1999-2011 DNP
2012 H Hubbard 58-28
2013 A Hubbard 40-7
2014 H Hubbard 40-10
2015-2020 DNP
Hubbard leads series 15-7-1.

Total points: Canfield – 253; Hubbard – 428.

I had the series as 14-8-1, so I must have had a score flipped or something.

Canfield plays football the right way. Well coached team. Minimal mistakes. There's two common opponents here, Poland and New Philadelphia. Canfield was more impressive in both wins from start to finish. Hubbard was powered by huge second halves in both games. Hubbard actually threw the ball pretty good tonight. The passing game really opened things up for Caffey in the second half. They'll need to do it next week as well. I would throw the sink at Canfield if I was Hoff. If Hubbard makes mistakes early, this one can get away from them.

Way too many mistakes by Hubbard tonight. The defense played well at times but gave up some tds that shouldnt have happened. If they play the same way that they did in the 1st half against Canfield, it will be a long night for the Eagles.

It seems Hubbard was able to open the playbook more this week, if so that will be a huge plus for them coming into this week, because if Canfield can crack down on one phase of the offense and force the other, it’s over. The Canfield D v Hubbard O is the most intriguing part. I think Canfield’s O is a level higher than Hubbard’s D. Caffey is a tremendous player and Hubbard is a very good physical team, but it’ll take a very clean, balanced game to knock off Canfield. Canfield 31-21.

Way too many mistakes by Hubbard tonight. The defense played well at times but gave up some tds that shouldnt have happened. If they play the same way that they did in the 1st half against Canfield, it will be a long night for the Eagles.
Completely agree. Hubbard has come out of the gate slow all season. Absolutely can't do that against good teams. They were lucky to come back against Poland. No chance against South Range and now Canfield. Hubbard has to turn this one into a dog fight. I would challenge the Hubbard defense to play the best game of their lives.

Caffey will enter with 2,561 yards and 37 touchdowns on the season. Hubbard won’t be the best Canfield has seen to this point, but they should be the biggest in terms of size. Canfield has some size as well. All going to come down to if Hubbard can slow Lowry.

Caffey will enter with 2,561 yards and 37 touchdowns on the season. Hubbard won’t be the best Canfield has seen to this point, but they should be the biggest in terms of size. Canfield has some size as well. All going to come down to if Hubbard can slow Lowry.
Most likely, Hubbard has 2 absolute hogs up front from what I saw the lone time I watched them play this year against Norwayne. 51 and someone else, who seemed bigger than 51

Options for GOTW for next Friday (if they even choose to do a game):
Hubbard at Canfield
Poland at West Branch
Salem at Ursuline

Tough to call. What Hubbard team shows up. Can Hubbard put together a complete game against a good opponent. I'll say Hubbard keeps this one closer than most think. Canfield 21-17.

Girard put 42 up already a couple minutes before half. Gilmore academy does not look like a good football team at all

Still need to see a little more of Canfield. But I can say this will be the best defense Hubbard will face to date. Maybe the best defense in region 9. Well coached, kids swarm to the ball. I will say I witnessed a rejuvenated Hubbard offense last night against NP. NP doesn't compare to Canfield on defense but they had the right idea. Stack the box and stop #22. I watched Hubbard throw the ball on first down roll outs. Slants and a couple streaks. #6 was on point with the exception of the throw before the half that was picked. He also added 80 yards on the ground. It took a while, but I'm glad the staff is finally commiting to the spread.

#73 Ben Chaney about 6' 6" around 290 lbs junior-he has had a good season
Yes he has. I know he has some small school offers. #51 is 6"5 pushing 300 lbs, committed to YSU. #70 is also a powerful lineman. Only a sophomore and had honors as a freshman last season. 6"0 almost 300 lbs but moves as well as any lineman on the team.