Division VI - Region 24 Playoff Discussion

ctowner

Almost 6pm on Sunday and still no official bracket posted on OHSAA website. OHSAA was more efficient when there was no membership dues and they operated just north of profitable. What are your thoughts regarding this region? Games of interest in first round, who advances to the Sweet Sixteen and who makes the Final Four?

Note to Coldwater fans. We schedule D1 Oak Hills in hopes of getting a few computer points. They go 0-10, we get zero points, but they get to face Moeller in Week 11. ?

Kenton laid a goose egg too! More the reason to end that series.
Actually with a 16 team playoff, no reason to play two non-conference games anymore. Make week two a MAC game again and end the Kenton series in favor of another WBL team, Like Wapak, St. Marys or Van Wert. Good competition, short road trip, and decent point potential. Next season Cavs play Kenton in week 1 and Bellefontaine in week 2. Thoughts?

Actually with a 16 team playoff, no reason to play two non-conference games anymore. Make week two a MAC game again and end the Kenton series in favor of another WBL team, Like Wapak, St. Marys or Van Wert. Good competition, short road trip, and decent point potential. Next season Cavs play Kenton in week 1 and Bellefontaine in week 2. Thoughts?
I believe the MAC rotation has more to do with allowing the bottom teams to avoid another blowout than anything else. I don’t see it ending, even if a couple really good matchups were missed this year.

Avoiding good teams doesn’t make a struggling program better. New Bremen showed great improvement and it wasn’t due to them playing weak non league games. Eliminating one of the non-league games would have very little effect most years. Pluses would be: possible less travel time, better attendance if scheduling a more local school and reviving a rivalry games. Example: Coldwater vs Celina.

Avoiding good teams doesn’t make a struggling program better. New Bremen showed great improvement and it wasn’t due to them playing weak non league games. Eliminating one of the non-league games would have very little effect most years. Pluses would be: possible less travel time, better attendance if scheduling a more local school and reviving a rivalry games. Example: Coldwater vs Celina.
Getting creamed by 40 points doesn't make a program better either.

Since you mentioned New Bremen, the Cardinals likely would not have made the playoffs in 2019 had they faced Marion Local in the regular season. New Bremen‘s 2019 season ended with a nice two-win playoff run before falling to ML 27-0 in the regional final. I can’t prove it, of course, but I think that playoff run set the stage for NB’s 2020 state title.

Most teams in the MAC have had down times and have rebounded to have better times. There are posters on this sight that have shared some of the down times that they’ve experienced. It’s not fun to lose and it’s not easy to get to the top. Gotta rally up as a program and community.

Dont agree. I like 2 nonconference games. I wouldn't mind playing Van Wert because they are a spread offense like Kenton but they wont stop playing Bryan. St Marys's Wing T would be helpful to see because we never see it during the season.

Hoping it is the last Kenton game. Everyone who played in my era hated playing Kenton. I'll be shocked to find someone from the Reed/Otten era who actually enjoyed playing Kenton. Bellefontaine is intriguing but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Last edited:
Most teams in the MAC have had down times and have rebounded to have better times. There are posters on this sight that have shared some of the down times that they’ve experienced. It’s not fun to lose and it’s not easy to get to the top. Gotta rally up as a program and community.
I don’t disagree with you, but is it a coincidence that three MAC teams won state titles in the past six years after being waaaay down only a few years earlier? I have to believe the scheduling rotation helped these teams to ‘rally up’.

Since you mentioned New Bremen, the Cardinals likely would not have made the playoffs in 2019 had they faced Marion Local in the regular season. New Bremen‘s 2019 season ended with a nice two-win playoff run before falling to ML 27-0 in the regional final. I can’t prove it, of course, but I think that playoff run set the stage for NB’s 2020 state title.
yes the Cards just barely got in the playoffs that year

I'm assuming, since I still can't find a bracket, that Coldwater and Mechanicsburg will match-up (as 1v4) in the Regional semi-finals? That's a shame, because I agree - those 2 teams are hands down the best 2 in the region.

I could see the winner of the Anna / Northeastern game (6v11) as the other regional finalist.

Off topic...but I was told St Henry and Archbold have a series in football because Liberty Benton dropped Archbold...anyone from the MAC know anything about this? Seems like a long drive for a regular season game.

Off topic...but I was told St Henry and Archbold have a series in football because Liberty Benton dropped Archbold...anyone from the MAC know anything about this? Seems like a long drive for a regular season game.
I also heard this, because Fort Frye dropped St Henry as well.

Division VI Region 24 Playoff Pairings:

#16 St Bernard-Elmwood Place (3-5) @ #1 Mechanicsburg (10-0)
#15 National Trail (4-6) @ #2 Allen East (7-3)
#14 Fort Recovery (4-6) @ #3 Arcanum (8-2)
#13 Delphos Jefferson (3-7) @ #4 Coldwater (8-2)
#12 Cin. Deer Park (3-7) @ #5 Cin. Country Day (7-2)
#11 Anna (4-6) @ #6 Northeastern (7-3)
#10 Fairbanks (5-5) #7 Paint Valley (5-4)
#9 Gamble Montessori (6-2) @ #8 Greeneview (6-4)

Here are my Week 11 thoughts:

#14 Fort Recovery (4-6)
@ #3 Arcanum (8-2)
#12 Cin. Deer Park (3-7)
@ #5 Cin. Country Day (7-2)

Congratulations to all of these teams. With that said, overall R24 looks very down this season. I do find a little interest in the FR/Arcanum, DeerPark/CountryDay, Anna/Northeastern, and Fairbanks/PaintValley matchups. I believe they could all very easily be seed upsets.

Yes. It was easy for LB to drop Archbold, cause Grove was looking to drop Paulding(same week) as a non-league opponent, so LB and Grove have a 2 year agreement. That's why Archbold/St. Henry happened. I think it worked out for everybody. Winner is going to get computer points.

Yes. It was easy for LB to drop Archbold, cause Grove was looking to drop Paulding(same week) as a non-league opponent, so LB and Grove have a 2 year agreement. That's why Archbold/St. Henry happened. I think it worked out for everybody. Winner is going to get computer points.
Yes it was easy for LB to drop Archbold...when you are getting pasted every year you need to get out.

Here are my Week 11 thoughts:

#14 Fort Recovery (4-6)
@ #3 Arcanum (8-2)
#12 Cin. Deer Park (3-7)
@ #5 Cin. Country Day (7-2)

Congratulations to all of these teams. With that said, overall R24 looks very down this season. I do find a little interest in the FR/Arcanum, DeerPark/CountryDay, Anna/Northeastern, and Fairbanks/PaintValley matchups. I believe they could all very easily be seed upsets.
The bottom bracket, the team that gets hot could make the regional final.

The bottom bracket, the team that gets hot could make the regional final.
I think it's the winner of the Anna/Northeastern game. Sounds crazy, but I think they advance to play the winner of Coldwater / Mechanicsburg.

Allen East is capable, not taking anything away from them but aside from them; but the 6 v 11 game is pretty meaningful IMO.