What Movies Did You Watch in October 2021?

The Hunt (2020)

Horror: 12 strangers, ok... well, 11 strangers wake up in a strange land with a giant crate in the clearing.... I think this is going to be one of those being hunted type films and it is. This was a fun gory watch with blows being thrown at both the left and right with a very sweet girl on girl fight scene!!!!! ..... 5.5/8

My Cousin Vinny (1992) - Joe Pesci, Ralph Macchio, Marisa Tomei, Mitchell Whitfield, Fred Gwynne

First time seeing. lol Not a big Pesci fan, but became a Tomei fan. 6/8

Spiral: From the Book of Saw (2021) 5/8 Wasn't expecting much, but this was pretty good. Chris Rock is not the best dramatic actor, but the movie stuck with Saw formula and had a nice twist at the end. Better than several of the sequels for sure.

The Little Things (2021) 2/8 I don't know about this one. Still not 100% sure on what happened at the end or who was really the bad or if they were all ultimately bad guys. Probably want to try to watch this again and see if I can make more sense of it.

Halloween (2018) 5/8 Not a bad reboot for the franchise. I wanted to watch this again before Halloween Kills comes out this weekend. I kind of like that this reboot basically ignores all of the sequels and is really just Halloween II taking place 40 years later.

Rome Open City (1945) - The movie that started the Neo-Realism school of film in Italy. Filmed as the war still raged elsewhere in freshly liberated Rome. Directed by Roberto Rosselli and written, in part, by Frederico Fellini. Outstanding film.

7/8

Venom: Let There Be Carnage: 2/8

This one really struggles with tone, pacing, and editing. It feels like a movie that was forced into shooting before the script was done or something. Really, really weird.

I don't like Hardy in these movies. His accent is weird and whiny. And for someone who's supposed to be playing a gritty investigative journalist, I just never buy it.

I had a bad feeling about it from the very beginning where Woody Harrelson's voice is dubbed over a younger actor playing a young version of his character. That's just straight cheese, but I thought maybe they're going to ham it up intentionally and it will be amusing. Nope.

Heartfelt moments fail to land.

Bad jokes.

Stupid lines.

Some continuity issues.

I'm giving a 2 because the action sequences are entertaining.

Porky's (1981) 6/8 This movie is very underrated imo. Tons of laughs and a solid story surrounding the laughs. A lot of good old fashion humor that would be highly unacceptable in today's society.

Worth (2021)- 5/8- Michael Keaton plays an attorney who serves as the special master to resolve all of the 9-11 cases. Interesting but not all that entertaining movie.

The Blair Witch Project (1999) 7/8 One of my all-time favorites, probably not the first found footage horror movie, but definitely started a new trend after it's massive success at the box office. First time I saw this, I thought it was real. I saw a trailer at another movie a few weeks before it came out and with little to no marketing for it's release had no idea it wasn't really found footage. Me and a buddy drove from Middletown to Huber Heights the day it came out to see it because that was the closest theater playing it at the time. Scared the crap out of me. A week later it was playing in every theater nationwide. Saw the girl who played the lead on a talk show a week or so after I saw it and realized I had been bamboozled lol.

Went to see the latest Bond movie yesterday. Fell asleep at least three times during a very long movie. 2/8

Last edited:
The Blair Witch Project (1999) 7/8 One of my all-time favorites, probably not the first found footage horror movie, but definitely started a new trend after it's massive success at the box office. First time I saw this, I thought it was real. I saw a trailer at another movie a few weeks before it came out and with little to no marketing for it's release had no idea it wasn't really found footage. Me and a buddy drove from Middletown to Huber Heights the day it came out to see it because that was the closest theater playing it at the time. Scared the crap out of me. A week later it was playing in every theater nationwide. Saw the girl who played the lead on a talk show a week or so after I saw it and realized I had been bamboozled lol.

The first found footage film is the 1980 shock film Cannibal Holocaust. Don't feel bad about being fooled thinking the Blair Witch Project was real as the director of Cannibal Holocaust was arrested for murdering the crew. He fooled a bunch of people especially since he paid the actors to disappear for a year after filming. The actual full uncut print of Cannibal Holocaust does show actual people being executed. The one actress that was impaled is so real looking that I thought she was actually killed by the tribe and they just shot it. Apparently it was fake but I still question it....
The whole 2nd part of Cannibal Holocaust shows the "found footage" which makes it the first known found footage film.

Flower of Flesh and Blood (1985) was another film that really fooled people including actor Charlie Sheen who after watching it called the police. The film is about a man dressed as a samurai who brutally dismembers women. It looked so real they actually did an investigation causing the arrest of the director who had to prove it was fake by demonstrating how it was filmed.

Blair Witch definitely was the film that got everything moving in this genre.

The first found footage film is the 1980 shock film Cannibal Holocaust. Don't feel bad about being fooled thinking the Blair Witch Project was real as the director of Cannibal Holocaust was arrested for murdering the crew. He fooled a bunch of people especially since he paid the actors to disappear for a year after filming. The actual full uncut print of Cannibal Holocaust does show actual people being executed. The one actress that was impaled is so real looking that I thought she was actually killed by the tribe and they just shot it. Apparently it was fake but I still question it....
The whole 2nd part of Cannibal Holocaust shows the "found footage" which makes it the first known found footage film.
I need to watch this film yesterday.

I need to watch this film yesterday.

SHUDDER offers the uncut version which they claim is the most complete version of the film which includes the real execution scenes. It is a really good print and the best I've seen so far. There is a free version on Youtube that is a bit grainy and I am not sure if it has the execution scenes in it or not. Warning.... If you do not want to see animals killed then stay away from this one..... I don't like it but at least they did eat what they killed.

Crawl (2019) 5.5/8 I've seen this a couple of times now and it holds up. Solid disaster/killer animal film. A little outrageous at times, but that's part of the fun of killer animal films to me.

The Lighthouse - A bonny fine picture says I. I was going to do this whole review in "pirate talk" but that would have been too hard to do. An incredible and audacious film. Shot in black and white with a narrow aspect, it looks very much like scenes engraved on whalebone like scrimshaw, or scratched into the margins of a ships log. William Dafoe does a fantastic job as a crusty old salt limited to manning a lighthouse after a life at sea. The director, Robert Eggers is a master at atmospherics and setting a scene just as he did in The Witch (2015). Just as in The Witch, he subtly builds menace and dread. It gets a little "Break Backey" at one point but, it is a fine film.

7/8

The Lighthouse - A bonny fine picture says I. I was going to do this whole review in "pirate talk" but that would have been too hard to do. An incredible and audacious film. Shot in black and white with a narrow aspect, it looks very much like scenes engraved on whalebone like scrimshaw, or scratched into the margins of a ships log. William Dafoe does a fantastic job as a crusty old salt limited to manning a lighthouse after a life at sea. The director, Robert Eggers is a master at atmospherics and setting a scene just as he did in The Witch (2015). Just as in The Witch, he subtly builds menace and dread. It gets a little "Break Backey" at one point but, it is a fine film.

7/8
I was pleasantly surprised by how good "The VVitch" was. An excellent horror movie that didn't need "jump scares". The circa 1640's setting was foreboding, too. A story about a self-fulfilled prophecy.

"The Lighthouse" is on my need-to-watch list.

Halloween Kills: 4/8

It was entertaining, but I think my Halloween bars is far too high wanting me of these movies one day to belong in the same conversation as the first two.

7/8? The thing blew. Did people think that was real?