The Official 2021 EBC football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm worried about tonight and what could be. Alliance could seriously hang 80 on us if they wanted to. It's so crushing to love this school and program so much and see how badly the wheels have come off. Our administration needs to be very careful because they are about to be the proud owners of one of the worst football programs in the state. Standing pat at the end of every year and using hope as a tactic, is no longer the way to go. We have got to get out of the business of making the easy "hire." And for heaven's sakes, can we just have an honest to goodness hiring process to where the best candidate gets the job instead of the candidate that has the closest and tightest relationship with the athletic director! Seems like here lately that's the only criteria needed to get the job. I agree with 88, wins and losses shouldn't even be on the radar of concern right now. The more pressing need is to understand why kids are quitting our program and more importantly why the heck we have so many kids transferring out of our school to play athletics somewhere else.
I watched this program for a lot of years and to see it like this makes me very sad...Minerva used to be one of the best programs in the state....I feel coaching has alot to do where this program is going....just a couple of things I notice.....Empty offense ( 5 wide) the coach doesnt even try to run, right now that will a least make the game go faster because the clock runs...I thought the QB was pretty good but he needs a running game to keep him healthy...Hiring young assistant coaches who should be coaching youth football then on a varsity sideline trying to coach...I know there are some players in Minerva just need a coach without local ties....jmo

Those kids at Minerva are saints for fighting each Friday night! Looked at the records on joeeitel over the years and Minerva hasnt won a LEAGUE game at HOME since 2014!!!!!
Been watching Dukes Football for a while now and this year (so far) seems like an all-time low for the program. The lack of discipline has led to circus-like play on Friday nights. Hope they can turn it around soon because the last two weeks have been tough on the eyes.
Sounds like a 2-8 finish for the dukes this year- but they did play 2 pretty explosive teams the last 2 weeks..

Sounds like a 2-8 finish for the dukes this year- but they did play 2 pretty explosive teams the last 2 weeks..
I agree 2-8 is the most likely scenario. The worst part is the team has athletes, just appears they have never been coached a day in their life. In my opinion a staff change is needed if the Dukes Program wants to stay in EBC contention for years to come.

Marlington 45
Minerva 7
I know the Dukes have been struggling the last 2 weeks but Minerva's like of size and depth on the line make it difficult for the Lions

West Branch 50
Canton South 20
WB is is going to be very hard to stop for every team, South will have to score with them to be in the game.

Salem 28
Alliance 21
This may be closer than people think. Alliance had a much more difficult schedule early on but I still like Salme in a close one.

Carrollton 35
KG: 14
Don't let this midseason OOC game be a trap..

I WAS TOLD ABOUT THIS THREAD BY A FRIEND WHO TOLD ME I SHOULD CHECK IT OUT! THAT BEING SAID. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO USE FOR ANY TYPE OF SOCIAL MEDIA, SO THIS WILL BE MY ONE AND ONLY POST EVER ANYWHERE. I WANNA GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO KING OF THE JUNGLE! I AGREE WITH SEVERAL OF THESE POSTERS CITING NOT AN ABUNDANCE OF TALENT OR SIZE, BUT IF ANY OF YOU THINK HUNDLEY BEARS NO RESPONSIBILITY, YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE! ANYONE WHO HAS WATCHED THESE GAMES IN PERSON AND THINKS 5 WIDE IS THE BEST OFFENSE TO RUN SUITED TO THE TALENT THEY DO HAVE! WOW. SEEMS TO ME IF YOU HAVE A DEFENSE THAT ISN'T STOPPING ANYBODY WOULDN'T IT MAKE SENSE TO RUN THE BALL AND TRY TO CONTROL THE CLOCK, AND SHORTEN THE GAME? WHATEVER HAPPENED TO LINING UP AND PUNCHING SOMEBODY IN THE MOUTH! THIS IS ALSO A COACH WHO TRIES AN ONSIDE KICK ON EVERY KICKOFF! NOT A JOKE! AND TO THE "GOOD OL BOYS CLUB" YOUR MORE CONCERNED WITH GIVING FAMILY AND FRIENDS JOBS, INSTEAD OF WHAT'S BEST FOR THE KIDS, AND THE PROGRAM! HOW'S THAT WORKED OUT? SHAME ON YOU! THOSE KIDS ARE OUT THERE PRACTICING EVERYDAY, JUST TO GO OUT, AND GET BEATEN DOWN EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT! I SAW AN ARTICLE IN THE MORNING JOURNAL WHERE HUNDLEY STATED THE LACK OF EXPERIENCE! HOW IN THE HELL ARE THESE OTHER KIDS GONNA GET ANY EXPERIENCE WHEN YOU PLAY THE SAME 11 KIDS ALL GAME, EVERY WEEK? INSTEAD YOU STICK A FEW JV IN THERE IN THE 4TH QUARTER WITH A RUNNING CLOCK! IT'S NOT LIKE YOUR PLAYIN FOR A SPOT IN THE PLAYOFFS COACH! FIRST THING THAT NEEDS DONE, HUNDLEY NEEDS TO GO! THIS IS A TRAIN WRECK, DO YOU THINK THESE KIDS PARENTS ENJOY SITTING IN THE STANDS AND WATCHING THEIR KIDS NOT ONLY GET WAXED BUT NOT EVEN BE COMPETITIVE. THAT'S NOT ALL ON THE KIDS!. THIS IS FREEKIN RIDICULOUS! I APPRECIATE YOU READING MY RANT! AND YES IF YOUR CURIOUS, I DO HAVE A SON ON THE TEAM! NOT REAL PROUD OF THAT RIGHT NOW THOUGH! ALSO I DONT HAVE KEYBOARD COURAGE, YOU CAN TELL BY MY USERNAME! THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW ME ALSO KNOW IF THIS RANT WAS IN PERSON IT WOULDN'T BE SO SOCIAL✌

I WAS TOLD ABOUT THIS THREAD BY A FRIEND WHO TOLD ME I SHOULD CHECK IT OUT! THAT BEING SAID. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO USE FOR ANY TYPE OF SOCIAL MEDIA, SO THIS WILL BE MY ONE AND ONLY POST EVER ANYWHERE. I WANNA GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO KING OF THE JUNGLE! I AGREE WITH SEVERAL OF THESE POSTERS CITING NOT AN ABUNDANCE OF TALENT OR SIZE, BUT IF ANY OF YOU THINK HUNDLEY BEARS NO RESPONSIBILITY, YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE! ANYONE WHO HAS WATCHED THESE GAMES IN PERSON AND THINKS 5 WIDE IS THE BEST OFFENSE TO RUN SUITED TO THE TALENT THEY DO HAVE! WOW. SEEMS TO ME IF YOU HAVE A DEFENSE THAT ISN'T STOPPING ANYBODY WOULDN'T IT MAKE SENSE TO RUN THE BALL AND TRY TO CONTROL THE CLOCK, AND SHORTEN THE GAME? WHATEVER HAPPENED TO LINING UP AND PUNCHING SOMEBODY IN THE MOUTH! THIS IS ALSO A COACH WHO TRIES AN ONSIDE KICK ON EVERY KICKOFF! NOT A JOKE! AND TO THE "GOOD OL BOYS CLUB" YOUR MORE CONCERNED WITH GIVING FAMILY AND FRIENDS JOBS, INSTEAD OF WHAT'S BEST FOR THE KIDS, AND THE PROGRAM! HOW'S THAT WORKED OUT? SHAME ON YOU! THOSE KIDS ARE OUT THERE PRACTICING EVERYDAY, JUST TO GO OUT, AND GET BEATEN DOWN EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT! I SAW AN ARTICLE IN THE MORNING JOURNAL WHERE HUNDLEY STATED THE LACK OF EXPERIENCE! HOW IN THE HELL ARE THESE OTHER KIDS GONNA GET ANY EXPERIENCE WHEN YOU PLAY THE SAME 11 KIDS ALL GAME, EVERY WEEK? INSTEAD YOU STICK A FEW JV IN THERE IN THE 4TH QUARTER WITH A RUNNING CLOCK! IT'S NOT LIKE YOUR PLAYIN FOR A SPOT IN THE PLAYOFFS COACH! FIRST THING THAT NEEDS DONE, HUNDLEY NEEDS TO GO! THIS IS A TRAIN WRECK, DO YOU THINK THESE KIDS PARENTS ENJOY SITTING IN THE STANDS AND WATCHING THEIR KIDS NOT ONLY GET WAXED BUT NOT EVEN BE COMPETITIVE. THAT'S NOT ALL ON THE KIDS!. THIS IS FREEKIN RIDICULOUS! I APPRECIATE YOU READING MY RANT! AND YES IF YOUR CURIOUS, I DO HAVE A SON ON THE TEAM! NOT REAL PROUD OF THAT RIGHT NOW THOUGH! ALSO I DONT HAVE KEYBOARD COURAGE, YOU CAN TELL BY MY USERNAME! THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW ME ALSO KNOW IF THIS RANT WAS IN PERSON IT WOULDN'T BE SO SOCIAL✌
I get where you, minfan and KingoftheJungle are coming from. To win 3 games since 2014 tells me somthing is broken in the system. It really is heartbreaking to see the kids work so hard and not have anything to show for it for basically 7 years. I don't know if this falls all on Hundley's shoudlers since this started well before he was here but dumb luck should get you at least a 500 season every once in a while.

Minerva’s 7th and 8th grade beat Carrollton last week… so maybe there’s hope?

I do think if you aren’t real talented, spreading the field is the way to go. Put the few athletes you do have in space, and see if they can make a play. If you don’t have size, how are you going to “punch somebody in the mouth”? Yeah, you‘ll shorten the game…. So you can lose 35-0 instead of 56-7?

Minerva’s 7th and 8th grade beat Carrollton last week… so maybe there’s hope?

I do think if you aren’t real talented, spreading the field is the way to go. Put the few athletes you do have in space, and see if they can make a play. If you don’t have size, how are you going to “punch somebody in the mouth”? Yeah, you‘ll shorten the game…. So you can lose 35-0 instead of 56-7?
Minerva is usually good and have excellent numbers at the youth level but numbers start dropping in middle school. For whatever reason kids either stop playing and turn to other sports in middle school. The 7th grade is outstanding but the 8th grade team lost a bunch of extremely good athletes to cross country or stopped playing so the trend is continuing. Somebody needs to figure out how to stop this trend. Everyone knew that the varsity was going to struggle this year and probably will next year too. But "there is talent coming" -- this is a common theme in Lion country but poeple are starting to get tired of hearing that "there is a classs coming that willl turn the program around", that was supposed to happen with last year's senior class and they went 3-17 the last 2 years. The fact is something has to change. This year our 2 best returning running backs are gone, 1 moved to Perry and the other dicided not to play. A 3rd skilled kid transferred to Malvern.

An interesting fact, 2 years ago MInerva beat WB to end the streak. We had 3 seniors on that team and only 1 played that day. both teams had a 1st year coach, look where WB and Minerva are now. Turning this thing around will take a lot of work but it can be done. There may need to be some changes.

This year's team is greatly outmatched and simply cannot compete no matter what they do on offense, defense and special teams. the game plan is probably just keeping kids as safe as possible. I truly admire these kids for playing and the coaches for putting in the time. But there has to be some sort of changes in the way the entire program is run,

Minerva is usually good and have excellent numbers at the youth level but numbers start dropping in middle school. For whatever reason kids either stop playing and turn to other sports in middle school. The 7th grade is outstanding but the 8th grade team lost a bunch of extremely good athletes to cross country or stopped playing so the trend is continuing. Somebody needs to figure out how to stop this trend. Everyone knew that the varsity was going to struggle this year and probably will next year too. But "there is talent coming" -- this is a common theme in Lion country but poeple are starting to get tired of hearing that "there is a classs coming that willl turn the program around", that was supposed to happen with last year's senior class and they went 3-17 the last 2 years. The fact is something has to change. This year our 2 best returning running backs are gone, 1 moved to Perry and the other dicided not to play. A 3rd skilled kid transferred to Malvern.

An interesting fact, 2 years ago MInerva beat WB to end the streak. We had 3 seniors on that team and only 1 played that day. both teams had a 1st year coach, look where WB and Minerva are now. Turning this thing around will take a lot of work but it can be done. There may need to be some changes.

This year's team is greatly outmatched and simply cannot compete no matter what they do on offense, defense and special teams. the game plan is probably just keeping kids as safe as possible. I truly admire these kids for playing and the coaches for putting in the time. But there has to be some sort of changes in the way the entire program is run,
I've heard a lot of criticism for the 5 wide offense on here but in my opinion it's actually one of the better decisions this current staff has made. It's keeping players healthier which is big but much more importantly it allows 5 skill guys on the field to play athletically every down and while that may not lead to wins or even a particularly productive offense I think it will encourage more athletes to stay out for the sport in the long term which is going to be the biggest key to restoring the roar in Minerva. I think everyone can agree that scorelines would be tighter with the Wing T but that system takes one hell of a physical toll on the players in that system and can you expect kids to put themselves through that week in and week out just to go out on Fridays and get hammered? I can't and I think this might be a much more thought out plan by the coaches than some are seeing it as

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of criticism for the 5 wide offense on here but in my opinion it's actually one of the better decisions this current staff has made. It's keeping players healthier which is big but much more importantly it allows 5 skill guys on the field to play athletically every down and while that may not lead to wins it even a particularly productive offense I think it will encourage more athletes to stay out for the sport in the long term which is going to be the biggest key to restoring the roar in Minerva. I think everyone can agree that scorelines would be tighter with the Wing T but that system takes one hell of a physical toll on the players in that system and can you expect kids to put themselves through that week in and week out just to go out on Fridays and get hammered? I can't and I think this might be a much more thought out plan by the coaches than some are seeing it as
I agree 100% about the offense, we actually had the skilled kids to run the spread last year and probably would have had more success then the 1970s wing T. We had big linemen, probably the biggest in the league, some of the fastest kids in the EBC, a couple of hard running backs and a QB that should have been able to handle it. the lack of numbers and depth was still the biggest issue and going 500 was a stretch but there were a couple of more games that were winnable. I thought 4-6 was doable and 5-5 was a stretch.

Please start a Minerva thread.
I could not figure out why this was buried all week and Why no other EBC schools post.
Nah, there's plenty of other discussion once league play starts. It's just a slow part of the year where teams are playing largely uncompetitive games with little interest behind them. If anything, the Minerva discussion is a buoy that brings out a decent influx of midweek posting here that we wouldn't have otherwise

Please start a Minerva thread.
I could not figure out why this was buried all week and Why no other EBC schools post.
I was just responding to a question about Minerva, an EBC Team. However, if I feel that Minerva posters hi-jack this thread I will certainly start one.
So far I don't think it's too bad.

Nah, there's plenty of other discussion once league play starts. It's just a slow part of the year where teams are playing largely uncompetitive games with little interest behind them. If anything, the Minerva discussion is a buoy that brings out a decent influx of midweek posting here that we wouldn't have otherwise
There are going to be some great games coming up. tonight WB and CS is the big one. But I am curious to see the outcome of Salem and Alliance. I believe that Salem is really good and favored in this game but what a huge difference in OOC schedules. I really think this game will tell how good Salem is. Alliance may be the toughest game has until week 8 at Carrollton.

I was just responding to a question about Minerva, an EBC Team. However, if I feel that Minerva posters hi-jack this thread I will certainly start one.
So far I don't think it's too bad.
Not bad at all NBC............ no need for a new thread. Good luck to both the Dukes & the Lions tonight.

I may be the minority but I would really like to have Louisville back in the league. What a great match up Carrollton would have been tonight and Salem last week. Then a WB showdown in a couple of weeks. I really think the obvious school to add to the league is Louisville and Canton Central Catholic to replace South. I know it will probably never happen but the league has been looking for a replacement ever since they left but they are the best choice.

Great Post!!! I agree on everything you said....its hurts the EBC when Minerva isnt competitive....will be interesting to see if Minerva runs the ball and shorten the game tonight...as far as the onside kick....the first kick to Alliance last week was taken to the house so onsides might not be a bad idea

Not bad at all NBC............ no need for a new thread. Good luck to both the Dukes & the Lions tonight.
Why, because the Minerva posts are interfering with the other "inordinate" amount of NBC posts throughout the week? Most times you have to go three pages deep just put find the EBC thread. These comments about starting a Minerva thread every time two posts in a row have anything to do with Minerva are mind-boggling to me. Minerva is an EBC team and the last time I checked this was an EBC thread. Especially when there ain't a whole lot of posting going on from other EBC posters. Exactly what should Minerva posters talk about on this thread then, the score of our game? Thanks for bringing common sense dukie, there is no hijacking going on. Folks can walk and chew gum at the same time, post can be made about the Minerva football program and it in no way interferes with another game being talked about for goodness sake.

I seen a couple of poster say that 5 wide is the way to go with this team....incomplete passes means the clock stops and more chances for the opposing offensives.....I have coached on a few teams that run the wing T and it doesnt take huge linemen to run it....the line block angles so you dont have to power defensive linemen or get hurt like you say....you can also run a R\P offense just to run the ball.....a little info....if a defense know you are strictly pass those defensive lineman has their ears pinned back and are coming like last week....so getting your QB hurt is an option that will happen..

I seen a couple of poster say that 5 wide is the way to go with this team....incomplete passes means the clock stops and more chances for the opposing offensives.....I have coached on a few teams that run the wing T and it doesnt take huge linemen to run it....the line block angles so you dont have to power defensive linemen or get hurt like you say....you can also run a R\P offense just to run the ball.....a little info....if a defense know you are strictly pass those defensive lineman has their ears pinned back and are coming like last week....so getting your QB hurt is an option that will happen..
Is there much of a difference between 35-0 and 52-0?

Is there much of a difference between 35-0 and 52-0?
Nation, I get what you are saying but you are putting wayyyyyyy too much emphasis on the final score. For a team that will go 3-67 in seven years of high school football, any improvement we can make to this program is a step in the right direction. Maybe it's just me, but there's a mammoth difference between giving up 35 than half of a hundred. Another poster said that you need to have size to play a smash mouth type of football and I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with that. Smash mouth football is about a state of mind, an attitude. This Minerva Lions program hasn't played with an attitude for many a year and that's where the transformation for us has got to begin. Just my opinion.

I may be the minority but I would really like to have Louisville back in the league. What a great match up Carrollton would have been tonight and Salem last week. Then a WB showdown in a couple of weeks. I really think the obvious school to add to the league is Louisville and Canton Central Catholic to replace South. I know it will probably never happen but the league has been looking for a replacement ever since they left but they are the best choice.
Alliance beats Salem tonight because they played a strong OOC that got their young kids reads for league play. You schedule soft your kids will play soft. Louisville and Howland would be go additions to the league.

Alliance beats Salem tonight because they played a strong OOC that got their young kids reads for league play. You schedule soft your kids will play soft. Louisville and Howland would be go additions to the league.
Alliance 27
Salem 21

Still have to win games in your out of conference schedule for good playoff seeding. Going 0-3 to get tough doesn’t do much for your final record.
No way to Louisville or Howland. It must be a unanimous vote from all 6 schools to add a new member- and that isn’t happening with either of those schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.