2021 Elder Football

I heard on a pre-game show how much the St. Mary's players were looking forward to this trip. This contact tracing needs to stop immediately. I don't know how this is done? Can Dewine override the health boards? Quarantining healthy teenagers is just wrong. Something has to be done.

I heard on a pre-game show how much the St. Mary's players were looking forward to this trip. This contact tracing needs to stop immediately. I don't know how this is done? Can Dewine override the health boards? Quarantining healthy teenagers is just wrong. Something has to be done.
Ohio is working on a pilot program with school districts in Warren County to relax the quarantine rules. Now Butler County school districts want to be involved, too.

However, the biggest obstacle to educating students is trying to prevent the change.

Are Louisville St X and Roncalli kind of equivalent to really good D2 or D3 teams in Ohio? So these games should be good games?

Last edited:
ECC is going to a 9 game conference schedule starting next year. Expect the GMC to follow suit soon.

I am shocked the GMC didn’t do this first.
Is this a direct shot at the GCL South? To make scheduling hard? Seems like it to me.

Is this a direct shot at the GCL South? To make scheduling hard? Seems like it to me.
This year the only GCLS vs. ECC game was La Salle vs. Winton Woods. The only GCLS vs. GMC games were Colerain vs. La Salle and St. X, LW vs. St. X and Moeller vs. Lakota East.

I think it's an understanding 16 of 17 teams in Region 4 make the playoffs and besides winning a league title the regular season is now mostly irrelevant.

I am shocked the GMC didn’t do this first.
Seems like it. I hate to see it, but I think the GCL might have to switch to each member playing each other twice in a season. The current scheduling process isn’t sustainable long term with such limited options near by.

The GMC is no where close to being the best public school league in Ohio. The GWOC and OCC are both better. The GCL can always travel 2 hours to find games, it is just a waste that some gmc vs GCL games won't happen.

Don't be surprised if the GMC goes to a 9 game conference schedule and, with the GMC and ECC both having ten teams, the first game of the year will be GMC vs ECC. No team from either conference will play a GCL-S team. With the expanded playoffs, there no longer is a need to schedule a GCL-S team and get an upset win (in most cases) in order to get a lot of Harbin points.
The goal will be to finish in the top 8 and host a first round playoff game. If the GCL-S teams have to travel even more to find games and maybe lose some of them, so much the better for the teams in those conferences that are in R4.

The ECC moving first might force the GMC to go to 9 league games. Here are ECC vs. GMC games that were played in week 2 this year:
Lakota East vs. Milford
Lakota West vs. West Clermont
Sycamore vs. Kings
Princeton vs. Loveland
(GMC went 3-1 in those games.)

POTP might be right about a GMC vs. ECC week 1 crossover agreement, but I hope that doesn't kill the Bolden-Specht bromance. Their friendly rivalry is good for HS football in Cincinnati.

What the GCL needs to do is get dirty with scheduling. Now that everyone makes the playoffs they need to schedule as many cupcakes as possible to rack up the wins to get the home game. That's easier said than done, but forget about D1 harbin cows... get D4 or D5 harbin cows.

With a 9 game conference schedule the ECC and GMC are are going to cannibalize their chances at a home game.

Elder will still play the GCL teams plus Eds so they can still get tested, but get more Beacon Hills and less IMG to play the harbin game.

The GMC is no where close to being the best public school league in Ohio. The GWOC and OCC are both better. The GCL can always travel 2 hours to find games, it is just a waste that some gmc vs GCL games won't happen.
That’s the thing, it’s preferable not to travel 2 hrs. I don’t know why Lakota West or Princeton would go for this, they’re already are or are about to be top 5 programs in the city. Playing at least a few difficult non conference games always helped Colerain. The GMC is so too heavy, you’re not preparing yourself to win down the line.

That’s the thing, it’s preferable not to travel 2 hrs. I don’t know why Lakota West or Princeton would go for this, they’re already are or are about to be top 5 programs in the city. Playing at least a few difficult non conference games always helped Colerain. The GMC is so too heavy, you’re not preparing yourself to win down the line.
Lakota West and Princeton may not be in favor it, but they will be outvoted.

How does this hurt these schools?

No flexibility in scheduling.
No variety in seeing different offenses/defenses.
No option to play the best to get better.
No fun road trips. If they are lucky enough to make it past round 2 in playoffs they won't be used to long bus ride.

It would be a pretty easy sell to an incoming 8th grader at open house or a shadow day. Do you want to play the same 9 teams every year and travel 15 minutes to games, or do you want to play top competition from all over the midwest each season?

GCL this weekend.
Lasalle beat Louisville Trinity
Moeller traveled to Ironton(I know they are D5, but that is a unique road trip and Ironton is very good small school)
St. Xavier traveled to Indiana blew out big school
Elder hosts possibly the best team in Ohio this afternoon St. Ed's.

Oh no. Can’t have fun road trips and play teams from anywhere—even though they are willing to play you. Moe is getting criticism on these boards now for playing Ironton. Apparently not only bc they won, but didn’t win by a bigger margin. GMC guys criticism no less.

Oh no. Can’t have fun road trips and play teams from anywhere—even though they are willing to play you. Moe is getting criticism on these boards now for playing Ironton. Apparently not only bc they won, but didn’t win by a bigger margin. GMC guys criticism no less.
Those games are good 1-2 times per year, but it gets expensive to travel and host the traveling team, not to mention, students and a large chunk of fans aren’t able to go.

According to Mike Dyer on Twitter, the GMC voted and approved a 9-game league schedule.
Guess we all expected that move. Will be interesting what happens to the GCL South scheduling starting next year.
Agree with ElderHsfan02. For some kids, Playing the same 9 teams and traveling 15 min is not a great selling point.

Can someone decipher this quote from the Oak Hills Athletic Director for me? Every quote in that article on why they went to a 9 game league schedule is laughable.

"When looking at the current landscape of high school football, whether that is other conference decisions, the playoff structure, or simply placing GMC schools in the best position to be successful, moving to nine games made the most sense," Oak Hills athletic director Ben Hageman said.

"Other conference decisions" - The ECC went to a 9 game schedule so GMC had to follow that? Why?
"The Playoff Structure" - 16 teams making the playoffs now somehow makes the decision to go to a 9 game league schedule? Why?
"Simply placing GMC schools in the best position to be successful" - How does playing only other GMC schools put your team in best position to be successful?

Can someone help me explain these advantages of going to 9 game GMC schedule?

Here is another funny quote from a GMC school Athletic Director. What is the ever-changing landscape that is high school football? What has changed in high school football besides expanding the playoffs? These guys with their quotes. Where do they come up with this stuff?

"Being a member of the Greater Miami Conference is both a privilege and an honor," Lakota East athletic director Rich Bryant said. "Our ability to adjust and adapt to the ever-changing landscape that is high school football is a true strength of the GMC."

With 16 of 17 teams making the playoffs in Region 4 (or 16 of 18 if Middletown comes back) GMC and ECC ADs decided the regular season doesn't matter outside of determining a conference champion.