Kill the District Meet.

i haven’t been able to find entries/heat sheets anywhere for D2 at Graham
Why is Graham and my District the only two in the state without heat sheets up?

At our District that last 10 years or so, we have managed to have enough runners scratch before the 1600 so we only ran finals. I think two years ago, the boys were on the track and ready to go when they figured out they could skip it and just run finals.

It's getting hot out there. Heat changes everything.

At our District that last 10 years or so, we have managed to have enough runners scratch before the 1600 so we only ran finals. I think two years ago, the boys were on the track and ready to go when they figured out they could skip it and just run finals.

psycho_dad, one year my son's heat got halfway down the track in the 110s, then the athletes were called back. The officials gun for the false start wouldn't fire. Then they came back and ran the 110s. It was really hot and he smashed his knee into a hurdle. He was on the line for the 1600 prelim when a kid said "I am not running" and just walked off. So they didn't have to run the prelim. My son was super grateful.

im not quite sure. Graham is done by Finishtiming company out of Springfield who is usually very good with posting heat sheets as soon as entries are in. I'm sure they have been busy as they time the other district meets (D1 through 3) in Southwest Ohio, as well as the D2 Southeast district in Washington Courthouse.

mile split usually has entries listed at the very least as they are entered by coaches, but I haven't seen any to this point.

psycho_dad, one year my son's heat got halfway down the track in the 110s, then the athletes were called back. The officials gun for the false start wouldn't fire. Then they came back and ran the 110s. It was really hot and he smashed his knee into a hurdle. He was on the line for the 1600 prelim when a kid said "I am not running" and just walked off. So they didn't have to run the prelim. My son was super grateful.
Sounds like the races I used to run. I ran the 4x800, 110H, 1600 and PV. Sometimes the 300H, 4x400. Frosh/ Soph Then, my younger brother ran the 110H and as soon as he was close to me, Week 2 my Junior year, I dropped the hurdles and ran 4x800, 1600, 800, PV / 4x400 depending on which relay was better. Vaulting 13' back then on a special order pole ( I weighed 125# and they were hard to get) I needed girls to vault so the poles were available. They vaulted every year on finals day and I would not even start vaulting until after the 800. Missed qualifying to state 3 years in a row by one place in the Vault. Ran 800 at state and 1600. Held the 300h record until my brother broke it. 39 something as a soph. I loved the vault.

I hated the 3200 and recruited a friend to run CC so I didn't have to run the 3200. He did not run distance until his Soph year. He ended up being the best distance runner in the history of the school. Broke all my records 2 years after I graduated. He still has the 3200. He and my brother finished 2nd in the state as a team. He won the 1600/3200 and my brother scored in the 110H, HJ 33 points. Columbus Hartley had 56

ontario doesn't have it up either not sure if thats your district

Doesn't matter at this point. Kids just feel more comfortable fine tuning exchanges in the lanes they will be in for the relays. Some ,like to come out of blocks a few times in the lanes they will be in.

Believe it or not, we have kids we do not have times on in some distances that we might take a look at depending on how some events shake out. It's more a comfort thing with the kids.

Sounds like the races I used to run. I ran the 4x800, 110H, 1600 and PV. Sometimes the 300H, 4x400. Frosh/ Soph Then, my younger brother ran the 110H and as soon as he was close to me, Week 2 my Junior year, I dropped the hurdles and ran 4x800, 1600, 800, PV / 4x400 depending on which relay was better. Vaulting 13' back then on a special order pole ( I weighed 125# and they were hard to get) I needed girls to vault so the poles were available. They vaulted every year on finals day and I would not even start vaulting until after the 800. Missed qualifying to state 3 years in a row by one place in the Vault. Ran 800 at state and 1600. Held the 300h record until my brother broke it. 39 something as a soph. I loved the vault.

I hated the 3200 and recruited a friend to run CC so I didn't have to run the 3200. He did not run distance until his Soph year. He ended up being the best distance runner in the history of the school. Broke all my records 2 years after I graduated. He still has the 3200. He and my brother finished 2nd in the state as a team. He won the 1600/3200 and my brother scored in the 110H, HJ 33 points. Columbus Hartley had 56

Sounds kinda like one of our xc state qualifier a few years ago. His middle school years, he did football, wrestling, and was a sprinter in track. One day, as a freshman, he, as a punishment, got thrown into the jv mile in an early season invite. Turned out, he showed some proficiency in distance, and so he stayed with the distance squad. He cam out for XC starting his sophomore year, and went on to cap off his senior year qualifying to state.

Going into districts week my son was either 1st or 2nd in the 100, 200 and 400, Now he plays baseball to. Monday we get rained out so we have to play tuesday and thus not able to run in Districts therefore not able to have a chance to go to regionals or state. This is a bummer, but maybe we can come up with something that would have allowed him to have a shot still at regionals or state. RAIN OUTS sucks!!!!

Going into districts week my son was either 1st or 2nd in the 100, 200 and 400, Now he plays baseball to. Monday we get rained out so we have to play tuesday and thus not able to run in Districts therefore not able to have a chance to go to regionals or state. This is a bummer, but maybe we can come up with something that would have allowed him to have a shot still at regionals or state. RAIN OUTS sucks!!!!
Was it a tournament baseball game? We require the kids choose a primary sport so any conflicts are already decided. We look at it like track events vs field events. Track always is the priority.

We (Granville) were 6th in the that meet. (No points from me.) One of my teammates was in the 110 hurdle final with your brother.

The district meet manager handbook provided by the OHSAA say 24 for boys to only run finals in the 1600 (I don't recall the girls number, but it's like 28 or 30). It also says specifies that these are "guidelines", which indicates that the games committee may decide to do something different if the situation warrants.
At my district meet (D3), the magic number for boys is >24 for the boys and >32 for the girls. For the 3200, it's >32 for the boys and >36 for the girls. If it's close at all, they'll make announcements re: how many scratches they still need in order to eliminate the prelim. A girls prelim has not been needed in the 1600 in the 9 years I've attended this meet.

It was suggested tonight that if it is known from initial entries that a girls 1600 prelim is not required, then run the boys 4x800 first to give them additional time to rest before the 1600 prelim.

WHAT IS UP WITH LAKEVIEW??
Would love to see heat sheets and whether there are 1600 prelims!!
Doesn't Howard have any pull around here, Psycho??

If you can't post heat sheets within a few hours of entries closing, you're not fit to be a district host. D1 Riverside heat sheets were up within ~20 mins. of entries closing.

If you can't post heat sheets within a few hours of entries closing, you're not fit to be a district host. D1 Riverside heat sheets were up within ~20 mins. of entries closing.
Ontario district has not posted anything yet either for DII I am assuming they are waiting for the substitution and scratch deadline to pass

Last edited:
Ontario district has not posted anything yet either for DII I am assuming they are waiting for the substitution and scratch deadline to pass
Simple solution is post it after the initial entry deadline passes but title it "accepted entries" instead of calling it the heat sheet.

He's the problem!!!

Email we got is no 1600 for girls but there is one for the boys. However, that has changed a few times and we were told this morning there is still something going on with the 1600.

Here is my gripe. There are different Entry Closing days and times for each District. Ours had to be in Sunday for a Thursday meet. Others are different. It should be a uniform thing state wide. "Acepted Entries" posted at a certain time for each Division Statewide.

AGAIN, entries did not close until 7pm last night and I had them listed by 7:50 and only took that long since I was another district and timing it at same time.

Still nothing.
1600 boys or not, would be good to know.
Figured no girls, only 14 teams.
But boys have 17 teams and possibly 34 runners.
We are also most an hour past scratch time

gotcha, i thought meets fine by finishtiming closed 2 days in advance usually. my apologies. thanks for your hard work!
When we are the registration site 99% of the time it is 9pm 2 days before which gives host time to make copies and make sure everyone gets entered. Gives us a day to get late teams entered. District is done by host and we can only suggest a time. I did not realize it closed so late until I went to get entries the 2 days before and said it was open until last night.

Still nothing.
1600 boys or not, would be good to know.
Figured no girls, only 14 teams.
But boys have 17 teams and possibly 34 runners.
We are also most an hour past scratch time
I'm looking at it right now on baumspage, and there isn't a single link to anything after clicking on that particular meet. Unless a separate website was used for the meet, what the heck is going on?

AGAIN, entries did not close until 7pm last night and I had them listed by 7:50 and only took that long since I was another district and timing it at same time.
I was kidding about Graham. My district closed Sunday. We got heat sheets when we pulled I to the meet. I complained mine was the only district in the state without them up on backspace a d someone said Graham wasn't either so I corrected my post for them too. You do a terrific job. Thanks

When we are the registration site 99% of the time it is 9pm 2 days before which gives host time to make copies and make sure everyone gets entered. Gives us a day to get late teams entered. District is done by host and we can only suggest a time. I did not realize it closed so late until I went to get entries the 2 days before and said it was open until last night.
i think most of us had just expected entries to be closed 2 days before the meet- like they usually are on finish timing. you guys do great work and i hate attending meets that you guys aren’t timing. certainly appreciate the clarity on the meet entries closing the night before!

A few items that came up at our District. Things that I think should be standardized and not left up to the games committee.

No heat sheets until we arrived at the facility. (We did get some emailed by request an hour or so before the busses pulled out. I cannot read on a moving buss, so it was essentially when we arrived.) Should be a standardized thing.

Girls HJ and PV were contested at the exact same time. We have a girl that does both. They have both boys and girls PV on the same day, by the way. Cannot walk on the precious turf field to get from one to the other on opposite ends of the stadium. Our girl might have gotten one approach at the HJ and 3 warm ups at the Vault. We were told that she would have 10 min from the time she checked out of the HJ to come back. Told that in the harshest of tone. Not a "we will help you make this work" tone. Have to walk out an around the boys open pit long jump onto the track to get back and forth. A girl that should have qualified out to the Regional in Both, was so off, she had season worst performances. NH in the HJ. Worst PV of the season by a foot or more. No consideration for the athlete. She should have handled it better and didn't and that's on us, but it should have never been contested at the same time with restrictions that were almost impossible to adhere to.

If your turf is so special it can't be used, don't host a District. Oh, and you can't walk all the way around the track. All traffic goes around one end of the stadium.

Our kids were kicked out of every place on or off the track to warm up. Kids could practice relay exchanges all they wanted to, but try and do a proper warm up on the back stretch and your are kicked out. Don't even look at the turf. Also seemed like kids that came from further away were not allowed to be places where more local kids were allowed to be. Familiarity with the officials came with privilages.

Do you qualify 12 or 8 to the finals from each heat? Might want to know that before the race. Printed in different places and different numbers of qualifiers. That should be a uniform statewide thing. Either run or don't run qualifiers in the 1600. Have a hard set number and stick to it. Boys up on the line again in the 1600. Pulled at the last second and told there will just be a final Saturday. Numbers didn't drop below 24, so there will be 26-28 kids on the track Saturday. Meanwhile, some of those kids warmed up for nothing and could have been used other places in relays. It was a little warm yesterday.

Be responsible and get your team to the meet and to the line. At least 2 schools that did not bring enough kids to count as a team. Was told one team had kids quit this week and another schools has prom Saturday. 9 kids! Bring 9 not 8. Can't get the 4th division with 8.

We spend all season teaching the kids how to manage themselves at a meet. Warm up, check in. Be where you are supposed to be. Do things correctly. When it's hot, stay out of the sun as much as possible. Then, we have all that blown up by the meet officials and meet management. Kids that are doing what we have told them to do are being unnecessarily berated by officials. Can't check in on 2nd call, but are told they will be DQ's if not checked in 10 seconds after 3rd call 20 min before their race. Not allowed to cross the turf to get back and forth from events, but can sit out on it for 20 min before the 300 hurdles when it's 88 degrees.

Was told in the Coaches meeting that they had block holders. Was not told that the block holders were the kids in the next heat.

I'm grateful that we have track and field and that we are as normal as we are. Hate to be a complainer, but we all know how a track meet should be run. No excuse not to have this down if you are hosting a District. No excuse that some of this stuff is not standardized. I think 3 kids per lane is too many for the 1600 in a championship meet like this and if you are going to make the kids warm up and get ready for it, run the race and cut it down to 16. Then, in the boys 800, there were only 29 guys. 3 heats with top 5 from each heat and next fastest. Run 2 heats top 8. A lot might be because coaches don't bother to scratch, but kids are expected to figure out top 12, no top 8, wait top 5. More work than it needed to be.