35 Second Shot Clock Allowed by NFHS Starting in 2022-2023

Everyone? :ROFLMAO:
Yes. Everyone.

Tomorrow I’m going to the movies. They’re going to play the most mundane scene on loop for two hours and I can’t wait!!! Such beauty and style - it’s not for everyone (no one), but man, I love it. Such mastery in that scene.

Is the point of defense in basketball to steal the ball, or to simply prevent someone from scoring? If it's the first one, shot clock makes no sense. All it brings to the game is an offensive time limit, simply not allowing a team to run offense indefinitely.

I'm sure many of us on here played, it's my opinion that growing up that fundamentals & IQ took a hit because coaches were so concerned about running their offense. Teenagers need to learn situational decision making and how to create shots, not 12 different plays for a 32 minute game.

Is the point of defense in basketball to steal the ball, or to simply prevent someone from scoring? If it's the first one, shot clock makes no sense. All it brings to the game is an offensive time limit, simply not allowing a team to run offense indefinitely.

I'm sure many of us on here played, it's my opinion that growing up that fundamentals & IQ took a hit because coaches were so concerned about running their offense. Teenagers need to learn situational decision making and how to create shots, not 12 different plays for a 32 minute game.
Prevent from scoring is the first priority.
Steals are a bonus.

Prevent from scoring is the first priority.
Steals are a bonus.
And that's why a shot clock should be instituted. This coming from an extremely mediocre 2 guard back in the day, I have zero doubts if our coach wanted we could have ran 2 minutes of motion offense a possession. It's really not hard to keep cutting and passing

And that's why a shot clock should be instituted. This coming from an extremely mediocre 2 guard back in the day, I have zero doubts if our coach wanted we could have ran 2 minutes of motion offense a possession. It's really not hard to keep cutting and passing
True, but good defensive player could anticipate the flow or pass and get a break away lay-up. Just sayin'.

What is it with Elder folks?

UCArch/Omar.....

UCArch...you banned from Elder
What is it with Elder folks?

UCArch/Omar.....

UCArch...you banned from Elder games like Omar?
Cmon man, even you have to admit that this style of play (blatant stalling) is no ones cup of tea.

Whether it’s an enforceable rule for the refs or a shot clock - whatever. Just get it done. Basketball fans around the globe thank you.

True, but good defensive player could anticipate the flow or pass and get a break away lay-up. Just sayin'.
I have seen a lot of teams that tried to do that for two minutes like he said only to turn the ball over...either because they just can't do that or the defense forces a turnover. And these were good teams with good ball handlers.

I absolutely agree it will be ugly in the first couple of years as coaches and players adopt, but in the long run, it’s better for the game and the kids.

I have seen a lot of teams that tried to do that for two minutes like he said only to turn the ball over...either because they just can't do that or the defense forces a turnover. And these were good teams with good ball handlers.
Bingo. Same result as a missed shot, but we've ate 60-90 seconds up. I'd rather just have the defense rewarded for 35 seconds of great play and prevent a team from doing this. Gives more opportunities for multiple kids to score and more playing time across the board as you'll have more possessions

Bingo. Same result as a missed shot, but we've ate 60-90 seconds up. I'd rather just have the defense rewarded for 35 seconds of great play and prevent a team from doing this. Gives more opportunities for multiple kids to score and more playing time across the board as you'll have more possessions
But if you're trying to preserve the lead eating up 60-90 seconds is what you want to happen. I mean, the goal is to have the lead when the clocks hit zero, right?

Cmon man, even you have to admit that this style of play (blatant stalling) is no ones cup of tea.

Whether it’s an enforceable rule for the refs or a shot clock - whatever. Just get it done. Basketball fans around the globe thank you.
While true, I do not believe the shot clock will have any impact on scoring for a vast, vast majority of games.

I

But if you're trying to preserve the lead eating up 60-90 seconds is what you want to happen. I mean, the goal is to have the lead when the clocks hit zero, right?
Of course but it's an exploited loophole which is the point. I mean you have a wrestling screen name, a sport where you can be DQ'd for doing this exact thing. We should probably abolish that and just let the person run around the mat right?

One other thing - I’m guessing said coach preached all year about hard work, and perseverance, and toughness, and the willingness to compete and leave it all on the line.

And in the most important game of the year, he stole that from his players. How can you hold a kid accountable to all of those great things, and then pull the rug out on them at the most important point of your season.

Im sure those kids defended their coach, but I would have been pissed and would have questioned HIS desire to compete. Straight BS

The underlying factor in all of this shot clock debate is and has always been coach and AD EGO.
Our coach did a similar thing in a tournament game. His squad was the less talented team and we were down by around 3 late in the 3rd quarter. The opponent decided to hold the ball for a couple minutes and we let them. It was the right call by our coach and a boneheaded move by theirs. And we won the game.

Not true.

Since 2011-2012 ratings for the NBA broadcasters....

ABC - down 45%
TNT - down 40%
ESPN - down 20%

NCAA men's ratings are also down....

NCAA women's ratings are going up.... (that should tell you something)
while I agree the NBA doesn't do itself any favors in increasing interest, I think we have to view television ratings differently today. With millions cutting cable and dish and the explosion of Netflix and other streaming services, ratings are down everywhere in everything. And with women's college hoops, if you go from .01 to .02 that is going up...but...

I would not be surprised to see Ohio waiting to adopt this rule. Finding money will be interesting after not having full state tournaments over the last two years.
I can see a lot of schools not liking this as well. It is already a struggle for schools to get score board operators. Now you need another one who knows a little about the game and when to reset the clock. You also don't have video replay so that ball that grazes the rim or doesn't will make for some interesting calls by that volunteer.
It throws another thing on the officials now and with the shortage, does that make things better?

I'm with you bball, I'm not vehemently opposed, but as you say, that's another person at the scorer's table you have to get, and they really need tok know what's going on. Officails are going to have the fun of deciding if the ball hits the rim or not on an airball. I'd propose a 45 second or even minute shot clock. The major reason people want the shot clock is to keep teams from stalling. Believe me, I hate seeing a 30-29 game as much as anyone. I just think there's alot to unpack adding this. And also, is this just a boys thing? The equality police would probably want it to be for the girls too.
Also, and I'd be curious to see how other states have handled this, what happens if the shot clocks malfunction? Do you just revert to no shot clock? Is the game suspended until they are fixed?

Of course but it's an exploited loophole which is the point. I mean you have a wrestling screen name, a sport where you can be DQ'd for doing this exact thing. We should probably abolish that and just let the person run around the mat right?
So, if your team is up by four with 2 minutes left you get mad if they burn off 90 seconds before attempting a shot?

I'm with you bball, I'm not vehemently opposed, but as you say, that's another person at the scorer's table you have to get, and they really need tok know what's going on. Officails are going to have the fun of deciding if the ball hits the rim or not on an airball. I'd propose a 45 second or even minute shot clock. The major reason people want the shot clock is to keep teams from stalling. Believe me, I hate seeing a 30-29 game as much as anyone. I just think there's alot to unpack adding this. And also, is this just a boys thing? The equality police would probably want it to be for the girls too.
Also, and I'd be curious to see how other states have handled this, what happens if the shot clocks malfunction? Do you just revert to no shot clock? Is the game suspended until they are fixed?
I think the whole extra volunteer thing is a tad overblown. We do this already in football, let's not make it more than it is. Heck most schools have even installed scoreboards showing players points and fouls

Our coach did a similar thing in a tournament game. His squad was the less talented team and we were down by around 3 late in the 3rd quarter. The opponent decided to hold the ball for a couple minutes and we let them. It was the right call by our coach and a boneheaded move by theirs. And we won the game.
There goes the "everyone in the world thinks it's an abomination" angle....

:ROFLMAO:

I think the whole extra volunteer thing is a tad overblown. We do this already in football, let's not make it more than it is. Heck most schools have even installed scoreboards showing players points and fouls
Easier to get someone to do it 5 times a year, maybe a 6th, than 11............

Handled the same as when the game clock malfunctions and cannot be fixed....

An alternate time piece (if alternate clock controller is not available) such as a stopwatch is used by the timer.

The team held the ball FOR THE ENTIRE quarter, and the opposing team just stared at them.

Again, if you find this acceptable, you’re the problem.
If I was watching and knowing that's the only way for my team to have a chance in Hades to win, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Many ways to skin a cat!

The team held the ball FOR THE ENTIRE quarter, and the opposing team just stared at them.

Again, if you find this acceptable, you’re the problem
The problem is someone who loses their mind when one game out of 18,000 (36,000 over the last two years) has an episode where a team (ahead) holds the ball for 8 minutes.

Don't watch the "abomination" if you don't like it Mr. Drama Queen. The games aren't played to entertain you.

Whether or not I find this "acceptable" is irrelevant.

I am curious however.....

When is the last time you applied for a Varsity Head Coach opening in basketball?

it's more than just a volunteer...they need to understand what actually constitutes a change in possession. I have seen clock operators struggle with correctly starting the clock on an inbound pass. In football they have to wait for the ball to be set, correct? Might be a little more simple in football.