What exactly is it that players are "signing" who go D3?

A lot of kids use this as a publicity stunt. They get 'recruited' and sign to these D3 schools and have no intention of actually going. They see it as an opportunity to make their twitter/instagram accounts look better by showing photos of themselves signing, etc... There are a lot of high schools that hype this up! Double-edge sword I guess. It is the job of the high school admin/AD to promote the kids coming from the school to pursue academic/athletic endeavors. On the other hand, some kids sign just to look cool and will never step foot on said campus.

I played D3 football in the mid-90's. There was no signing of any documents. I had 3 or 4 schools and the deciding factor was the financial aid package. It was pretty amazing the money the schools were able to come up with to compete with each other though. When the school I chose put together the best package, I called the coach who was recruiting me and said I was in. That was as special as it got.

What about kids that put on social media that they just got an offer from a D3 school? What the heck were they being offered? Most D3 schools have coaching requirements for their staff to bring in a certain number of student-athletes. They turn no one down.

What about kids that put on social media that they just got an offer from a D3 school? What the heck were they being offered? Most D3 schools have coaching requirements for their staff to bring in a certain number of student-athletes. They turn no one down.
Exactly.

While some are wowed by said announcements, many just roll their eyes...

Heck...my junior / senior year I got brochures and some preprinted letters saying they would like for me to attend their school. Every kid gets them. I think alot of kids take that as an offer.

D3 football the programs still need to recruit players. If D3 football alpha gets their brand out there by having a welcome to the team ceremony better than team beta, that is an advantage.

Heck...my junior / senior year I got brochures and some preprinted letters saying they would like for me to attend their school. Every kid gets them. I think alot of kids take that as an offer.
I recall getting a letter for said college to go play football there, and I was ecstatic (and a bit confused as i was not very good).

That excitement lasted less than 18 hours when talking to a buddy who also got a letter from them to play football, and he didnt even play the sport.........

C
I recall getting a letter for said college to go play football there, and I was ecstatic (and a bit confused as i was not very good).

That excitement lasted less than 18 hours when talking to a buddy who also got a letter from them to play football, and he didnt even play the sport.........
Classic...exactly what I was saying.

to be honest with you, its getting out of hand, but its part of the social media culture aspect of sports now

Not just sports. Try attending an "Academic Awards Ceremony" where the art teacher gets 15 minutes to announce 30 students who got an "Art I Award" and graduating seniors with National Merit Scholarships and acceptances at Notre Dame and Northwestern barely get recognized at the end. :rolleyes:

I played D3 football in the mid-90's. There was no signing of any documents. I had 3 or 4 schools and the deciding factor was the financial aid package. It was pretty amazing the money the schools were able to come up with to compete with each other though. When the school I chose put together the best package, I called the coach who was recruiting me and said I was in. That was as special as it got.
likewise, and it was pretty special to be able to finish all 4 years of a college sport, because it isn't easy, and to do it without fake likes on social media

My sister got a letter from Bluffton College her senior year asking her if she was interested in playing softball there. She hadn't even applied and she hadn't played an inning since she was in 10th grade.

My senior year I got a "recruitment questionnaire" from every D3 school I applied to / showed even remote interest in. BW, John Carroll, Muskingum, Wittenberg, etc.... Shoot I was an average baseball player at best, but literally spring of my senior year I got a letter in the mail with an application plus voucher to wave the application fee from the baseball coach there.

Speaking as a high school coach now these last 17 years this is an issue that we as coaches hate but absolutely have to put up with as it makes our program / athletic department look good on social media.

I remember 11 years ago our football team had 5 seniors sign with a D2 school that was just starting their football program. We as a school promoted the heck out of that knowing full well these guys only received "offers" because this new program was taking on literally EVERYONE.

Not just sports. Try attending an "Academic Awards Ceremony" where the art teacher gets 15 minutes to announce 30 students who got an "Art I Award" and graduating seniors with National Merit Scholarships and acceptances at Notre Dame and Northwestern barely get recognized at the end. :rolleyes:

Lima City Schools does a signing night for EVERYONE!!!! Even kids going into the military.

taking a cheap shot at the Unites States Military is as pathetic as it gets ...
I concur.
That poser should be banned from the site.

It was untrue though. So many Americans are UNABLE to serve because they are too fat, and believe it or not, many cannot meet the basic ASVAB line scores to even be a knuckledragging 11B.

Hell, they take pretty much anyone dumb enough to sign up.....

I like it when there was a time in this country when the people who would die for you where placed on a pedestal. You may even be a veteran who had a bad time in the military, i do not know. But that was classless and insulting to all the men and women who will and have taken a bullet in the chest for you to type that comment.

I like it when there was a time in this country when the people who would die for you where placed on a pedestal. You may even be a veteran who had a bad time in the military, i do not know. But that was classless and insulting to all the men and women who will and have taken a bullet in the chest for you to type that comment.
Yawn.
Concur.
Negative.
Military folk have a great sense of humor and many would echo the sentiment, even if just in jest and in a sarcastic manner.

I concur.
That poser should be banned from the site.

It was untrue though. So many Americans are UNABLE to serve because they are too fat, and believe it or not, many cannot meet the basic ASVAB line scores to even be a knuckledragging 11B.
Tattoos are stopping quite a few also.

This is a serious question, but why is that? There's not a ban on tattoos in the military is there? Or is it certain styles or wording that's frowned upon?
It's been a while since I have been in a recruiting station ( 5 or 6 years) but at that time, there was a limit on where, the size, how many and what they may say. So nothing allowed on the face or above the neck line, nothing too large below the elbow, nothing on the hands. Also nothing related to supremacy groups anywhere.

Yawn.
Concur.
Negative.
Military folk have a great sense of humor and many would echo the sentiment, even if just in jest and in a sarcastic manner.

hmm, the "many" argument.

Have the balls to admit your comment was tasteless and incorrect, particularly when you know it was. There's no debate here. The correct statement is "Hell, Navy takes pretty much anyone dumb enough to sign up..... "

Go Army!

hmm, the "many" argument.

Have the balls to admit your comment was tasteless and incorrect, particularly when you know it was. There's no debate here. The correct statement is "Hell, Navy takes pretty much anyone dumb enough to sign up..... "

Go Army!
I am surprised proderp didn't enlist in the Navy with his love of seamen.....
Or is he more of a window licking crayon eater?

I am surprised proderp didn't enlist in the Navy with his love of seamen.....
Or is he more of a window licking crayon eater?

sorry, I'm not into that attack stuff or whatever that's called. Ideas yes. People no. That's between you and him if you all enjoy that.

Yawn.
Concur.
Negative.
I know. They earned that right to poke fun at their brothers and sisters. I did not earn that right. Have you earned that right?