2021 Division V Outlook

As to the rest of the region, i like the Versailles pick. Unless someone else steps up, a MAC team is a safe bet.

Mabe Roger bacon? Shawnee?

I wouldnt count last year toward a playoff records either way. Its was a tourney, not a playoff. I dont think it should count toward "playoff appearances" either.

Not to take away anything from those that won, but schools like WLS and Triad and Madison Plains were not playoff caliber teams last year, and would never have made it in a normal year.
the teams that were playoff caliber made it to the round of 32 (like a normal year) and because of that I think its fair to count the round of 32 as a playoff berth like you would any other season.

As to the rest of the region, i like the Versailles pick. Unless someone else steps up, a MAC team is a safe bet.

Mabe Roger bacon? Shawnee?
Roger Bacon- loses some absolute studs. they will be decent. no chance they compete with Versailles next year.

Shawnee loses the QB and a bunch of WR's including Miller. I don't think the 2022 class is great. they will be decent next year. Meeks is a good coach and will have them competitive as always. but won't be regional title caliber next season.

Roger Bacon- loses some absolute studs. they will be decent. no chance they compete with Versailles next year.

Shawnee loses the QB and a bunch of WR's including Miller. I don't think the 2022 class is great. they will be decent next year. Meeks is a good coach and will have them competitive as always. but won't be regional title caliber next season.
Does Bacon lose their QB? He was good. Just losing that RB will be a big enough blow.
Meeks is a good coach and seems to get them to play above thier talent level. But they always have one weird loss in there during a season.

If Versialles gets moved to Region 18, then this region is wide open.

But whoever makes it will still lose to Kirtland in the finals, or more likely Ironton in the semis. Region 20 has had some good years, but last year and this upcoming one wont be one of those, IMO.

Does Bacon lose their QB? He was good. Just losing that RB will be a big enough blow.
Meeks is a good coach and seems to get them to play above thier talent level. But they always have one weird loss in there during a season.

If Versialles gets moved to Region 18, then this region is wide open.

But whoever makes it will still lose to Kirtland in the finals, or more likely Ironton in the semis. Region 20 has had some good years, but last year and this upcoming one wont be one of those, IMO.
Roger Bacon returns the QB

you’re also right, Shawnee has usually had 1 weird loss during the season

region would be wide open if Versailles goes back to 18, i sure hope they stay in 20.

i don’t think it will be ironton that gets back to the finals, however

It is not even baseball season yet, wrestling tournament is just to getting underway, and this is really pumping me up for football season. I need to slow down and enjoy the journey. Thanks for the thread.

It did for me as well. I've been active in a few these threads for the other divisions.

I think both schools are victims of being in the same region as the MAC. I know for WLS, since 2009 they are 9-0 against non-MAC or fellow OHC teams. That's in 8 playoff trips. They are 0-6 against the MAC. 3 regional championship appearances, losing to Mechanicsburg in OT, Minster and West Jefferson 2 years ago. I would guess it's similar for CHCA.

With 12 teams, I think WLS will get in despite being down a little in comparison to the other top tier OHC North teams. I think it's tough to gauge about anyone this early with the exception of the teams we know return about everyone.

Great numbers.

are you forgetting the loss to #11 seed Mariemont, at home, by 25 points last season? otherwise i agree with you.

i wish WLS Color still posted. i’m sure he has some input on what they have coming up. i heard that the talent in the freshmen/sophomore class wasn’t very good last year outside one kid.

I agree about WLS Color. I remember before we could find Friday night scores on all sorts of websites, we had a small group of people on The Huddle that would text each other scores we had. He was one of them.

If Versailles would happen to move regions, I agree that I would probably favor CHCA to win a very weak region.

Roger Bacon returns the QB

you’re also right, Shawnee has usually had 1 weird loss during the season

region would be wide open if Versailles goes back to 18, i sure hope they stay in 20.

i don’t think it will be ironton that gets back to the finals, however

I probably haven't given quite enough respect to what Shawnee or Roger Bacon can do. Versailles is probably the team to beat. But that next tier is interesting. Just not knowing if CHCA or WL-S will return to some of their playoff teams of the past. Shawnee and Roger Bacon will be competitive, potential thorns in teams side come Week 11.

I probably haven't given quite enough respect to what Shawnee or Roger Bacon can do. Versailles is probably the team to beat. But that next tier is interesting. Just not knowing if CHCA or WL-S will return to some of their playoff teams of the past. Shawnee and Roger Bacon will be competitive, potential thorns in teams side come Week 11.
the 2nd tier is interesting for sure in R20. i believe CHCA returns a lot. WLS returns some starters. Roger Bacon will be solid but nothing like they were last year. Shawnee is always dangerous if you happen to find them in the playoffs. Greenon could get in at 6-4/7-3, they have proven they are well coached and can win important games.

the 2nd tier is interesting for sure in R20. i believe CHCA returns a lot. WLS returns some starters. Roger Bacon will be solid but nothing like they were last year. Shawnee is always dangerous if you happen to find them in the playoffs. Greenon could get in at 6-4/7-3, they have proven they are well coached and can win important games.

I would think 6, definitely 7 wins, is enough for Greenon to make the Top 12. Right?

I would think 6, definitely 7 wins, is enough for Greenon to make the Top 12. Right?
7 would do it. the OHC South is pretty weak. winning 1 Non-Conference, 1 North Crossover, and sweeping the South will get them in. Greeneview will be competitive on the South again this year. weeks 1 and 2 against Taylor and Northwestern are both winnable. i predict they will be a 6 or 7 win team so a playoff berth is possible

The other thing with Shawnee is that due to their schedule being almost exclusively teams that are in the bigger divisions any wins help them more then a team playing in a conference with same size or smaller teams.

The other thing with Shawnee is that due to their schedule being almost exclusively teams that are in the bigger divisions any wins help them more then a team playing in a conference with same size or smaller teams.
that’s a great point. i believe they play D3 Eaton, D3 Carroll, and D4 Valley View? all of those will be tough outs for the Braves.

that’s a great point. i believe they play D3 Eaton, D3 Carroll, and D4 Valley View? all of those will be tough outs for the Braves.
It seems Shawnee tries to load their OOC schedule. In years past they have played and maybe not with great success but none the less have played, Clinton Massie, Eaton, Tipp City, Thurgood Marshall, Carroll, Butler, West Carrollton (just for you Knightsfan, Greenon, lol), and for the past several years 2nd scrimmage against Valley View. I might add, they are undefeated against Alter in the playoffs, hehe. That coaching staff does their best to prep their kids for competition they will see throughout the year.
If I have looked at this correctly, they play 1 D2, 5 D3, 3 D4 and 1 D5 this coming year. I feel there are enough points out there for them to finish 8-2 or 7-3 and be in the top 4 in the region...if they win the big ones.
I believe Shawnee has a lot going for them this year with a huge youth movement (soph class), experienced Jr/Sr class and a core coaching staff that has been together longer than most in the state.
As with any team, the seniors are always a huge loss but they do have a lot coming back with a good sized, smart QB, a couple of returning RBs, a Jr/Sr O-line and some very speedy, young receivers. The question is, can their defense step up and take pressure off of the offense? If the defense can match the productivity of their offense, Shawnee will be a threat to win the CBC KTD and push deep into the playoffs.
If I were a betting man, they would be going against Versailles in the regional finals.

It seems Shawnee tries to load their OOC schedule. In years past they have played and maybe not with great success but none the less have played, Clinton Massie, Eaton, Tipp City, Thurgood Marshall, Carroll, Butler, West Carrollton (just for you Knightsfan, Greenon, lol), and for the past several years 2nd scrimmage against Valley View. I might add, they are undefeated against Alter in the playoffs, hehe. That coaching staff does their best to prep their kids for competition they will see throughout the year.
If I have looked at this correctly, they play 1 D2, 5 D3, 3 D4 and 1 D5 this coming year. I feel there are enough points out there for them to finish 8-2 or 7-3 and be in the top 4 in the region...if they win the big ones.
I believe Shawnee has a lot going for them this year with a huge youth movement (soph class), experienced Jr/Sr class and a core coaching staff that has been together longer than most in the state.
As with any team, the seniors are always a huge loss but they do have a lot coming back with a good sized, smart QB, a couple of returning RBs, a Jr/Sr O-line and some very speedy, young receivers. The question is, can their defense step up and take pressure off of the offense? If the defense can match the productivity of their offense, Shawnee will be a threat to win the CBC KTD and push deep into the playoffs.
If I were a betting man, they would be going against Versailles in the regional finals.
the first 3 weeks will all be tough outs but with Skidmore out at Valley View, i think they are all 3 winnable.

it wasn’t too long ago that the Braves scheduled Springfield High (D1) in non conference. i give them a ton of credit for who have scheduled non conference, they certainly aren’t afraid. they are also lucky that so many schools larger than them are willing to even schedule them. doesn’t happen often. (Shawnee is a D5)

who will play QB for the Braves? Mitch will be hard to replace, he had a very solid arm.

while talent wise i think they take a step back next season, i’ve learned that it’s hard to ever bet against Meeks.

7-3 with a top 6 seed is a safe bet for the Braves. like this past year, their playoff draw will determine how far they advance. they don’t usually lose to team that they should beat in the playoffs, they tend to take care of business. (once the playoff bracket came out, i did pick them to lose in the regional title to Roger Bacon)

their schedule couldn’t get much better in terms of winnable games that offer a ton of points.

I think Shawnee should be favored against Eaton. That's a very winnable game. Carroll is an interesting game. On good years, Carrol wins 5-6 games as a GCL school. I think that's another winnable game, but could be a tough game. I see VV as very much up in the air after losing much of their coaching staff. Their junior class will be very strong though.

Division V should be interesting this year. Who are the favorites in each region and then to win state overall? Will anyone be ready to challenge Kirtland?

Region 17: You have to say Kirtland is the favorite, don't you? South Range was the only team to come within 14 points of Kirtland in the 2020 playoffs. I expect similar this season with Kirtland winning the region.

Region 18: Generally this region is much more open. In 2020, Otsego beat Eastwood for the regional championship. Ottawa Glandorf and Liberty Benton typically have stronger teams. I'm not sure who everyone brings back or who should be favored in R18.

Region 19: Ironton lost their Ohio State LB. I would expect them to still be playoff caliber teams but take a step back in 2021. Wheelersburg and Columbus Academy should have good teams. Outside of that cluster, I'm not sure what everyone returns in 2021.

Region 20: Roger Bacon lost their stud, LSU RB. I think they'll still be a playoff team but obviously take a step back. Versailles was very improved in 2020 and is well prepared thanks to the MAC. Will the Tigers keep moving forward in 2021? CHCA and West Liberty-Salem typically have playoff teams but I'm not sure how strong either will be. Typically this is a region I'm confident on who the favorite is, but I don't have strong feelings. It's hard to go wrong with the MAC teams, so I expect Versailles to be strong.

Thoughts?

Region 17: Kirtland until someone proves otherwise

Region 18: Shrug

Region 19: Ironton until someone proves otherwise. They did get taken to the wire coming down the state stretch but they will reload.

Region 20: Versailles vs Roger Bacon. Versailles was 2nd best in the region by a wide margin. It was criminal voting that they were placed on the same side as RB in the bracket. RB loses 4 All-Ohio Players but they lost 3 in 2019. If they can replace lost talent again they have a shot to repeat as Regional Champs

i was looking at Maxpreps rankings from this past season in region 20 and a few things surprised me

1. Roger Bacon (correct)
2. Versailles (correct)
3. Brookville (didn’t they lose to a #19 seed?)
4. Springfield Shawnee (about right)
5. CHCA (about right)
6. Madeira (weren’t they seeded as a 12? a little high)
7. Greenon (probably between the 4/6 line)
8. Mariemont (in reality this is probably about right)

9. West Liberty Salem
10. Blanchester
11. Taft

Going to say this firmly, but softly (so as to not upset and attract interest from fans on other threads) --> Ohio's D5 is one of the FUNNEST levels of football out there. Not the "big boys" where you have 3-4 Power 5 players on the field every week, and not "podunk" where the coach is starting a qb because his dad is the sheriff and has a speed trap outside of his house. Nothing wrong with either one of those, but D5 is just about the sweet spot - best kids play both ways because "why not." Some really good athletes can carry teams, but better teams tend to pull it out down the road.

Bottom line, one of the most fun levels to watch so thanks for starting this thread!

PS - I used to think that about D4 until Mooney started their "we're smallish but with 20 Power 5 kids on our squad" crap. Kirtland may be dominating now, but it's much easier to handle considering they are doing the same thing as everyone else... just better. (if you want to talk about transfers or some other crap just let me know. Haven't blocked anyone in awhile).

i was looking at Maxpreps rankings from this past season in region 20 and a few things surprised me

1. Roger Bacon (correct)
2. Versailles (correct)
3. Brookville (didn’t they lose to a #19 seed?)
4. Springfield Shawnee (about right)
5. CHCA (about right)
6. Madeira (weren’t they seeded as a 12? a little high)
7. Greenon (probably between the 4/6 line)
8. Mariemont (in reality this is probably about right)

9. West Liberty Salem
10. Blanchester
11. Taft

Division V should be interesting this year. Who are the favorites in each region and then to win state overall? Will anyone be ready to challenge Kirtland?

Region 17: You have to say Kirtland is the favorite, don't you? South Range was the only team to come within 14 points of Kirtland in the 2020 playoffs. I expect similar this season with Kirtland winning the region.

Region 18: Generally this region is much more open. In 2020, Otsego beat Eastwood for the regional championship. Ottawa Glandorf and Liberty Benton typically have stronger teams. I'm not sure who everyone brings back or who should be favored in R18.

Region 19: Ironton lost their Ohio State LB. I would expect them to still be playoff caliber teams but take a step back in 2021. Wheelersburg and Columbus Academy should have good teams. Outside of that cluster, I'm not sure what everyone returns in 2021.

Region 20: Roger Bacon lost their stud, LSU RB. I think they'll still be a playoff team but obviously take a step back. Versailles was very improved in 2020 and is well prepared thanks to the MAC. Will the Tigers keep moving forward in 2021? CHCA and West Liberty-Salem typically have playoff teams but I'm not sure how strong either will be. Typically this is a region I'm confident on who the favorite is, but I don't have strong feelings. It's hard to go wrong with the MAC teams, so I expect Versailles to be strong.

Thoughts?
Ironton returns all but 2 Linemen and they’ve been working hard, one is down from 280 to 250 and has put on some speed and strength. The TE/DE Ashton Duncan has received 9 D1 offers and LB/RB Trevor Carter has 11 D1 offers so far. Coach Pendleton has raised the bar since taking over the reins at Ironton. I’d say they’ll be right in the mix again this year.

returning starters

QB - Carpenter
TE - Duncan
RB - Carter
Line - Cochran
Line - Boggs
Line - McCall
Line - Cecil
Line - Washington
DB/WR - Masters
DB/WR - Wilson
DB - Sloan

look for Keys and Weekly at RB along with Carter, lots of playing time last year and they’ve been tearing it up in the weight room

Carter’s offers so far

Michigan
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Arkansas
Virginia Tech
Kentucky
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Pitt
Miami OH
Toledo
Akron

Duncan’s offers so far

Ohio University
Marshall
Ball State
Coastal Carolina
Illinois State
Bowling Green
Eastern Michigan
Toledo
Kent State

Angelo Washington Offers

Morehead State

Last edited:
Going to say this firmly, but softly (so as to not upset and attract interest from fans on other threads) --> Ohio's D5 is one of the FUNNEST levels of football out there. Not the "big boys" where you have 3-4 Power 5 players on the field every week, and not "podunk" where the coach is starting a qb because his dad is the sheriff and has a speed trap outside of his house. Nothing wrong with either one of those, but D5 is just about the sweet spot - best kids play both ways because "why not." Some really good athletes can carry teams, but better teams tend to pull it out down the road.

Bottom line, one of the most fun levels to watch so thanks for starting this thread!

PS - I used to think that about D4 until Mooney started their "we're smallish but with 20 Power 5 kids on our squad" crap. Kirtland may be dominating now, but it's much easier to handle considering they are doing the same thing as everyone else... just better. (if you want to talk about transfers or some other crap just let me know. Haven't blocked anyone in awhile).
Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an OG fan, curious as to why you think OG wins the region?
Why not? Ottawa Glandorf is annually a very good program. I'm very impressed with their athletes and the culture they have.
And are we talking the same Versailles that finished 3-7 last year? I realize it was in the MAC but 3-7 to Regional Champs? Did Big V get some move in that is a ringer?

Last edited:
Why not? Ottawa Glandorf is annually a very good program. I'm very impressed with their athletes and the culture they have.
And are we talking the same Versailles that finished 3-7 last year? I realize it was in the MAC but 3-7 to Regional Champs? Did Big V get some move in that is a ringer?
they were 5-3 in 2020. they played Roger Bacon CLOSE and it wasn’t a fluke. that’s a good team. they were coached well and had some talent at Versailles that hadn’t been seen in awhile. Region 20 looks week next year, therefore a very solid MAC team seems to be the best bet