Northwest Ohio Realignment

Why is Oak Harbor routinely brought up as leaving the SBC? Last I checked the Rockets were happy in the SBC which is a solid conference at the top.

I'd guess because 1 travel in the NBC would be better for them (3 schools within half an hour drive and EVERYONE within 45 minutes, compared to the SBC with neighbor Port Clinton and everyone else between 45 and 60 minutes) and 2 they at one point supposedly had an NBC invite.

Why is Oak Harbor routinely brought up as leaving the SBC? Last I checked the Rockets were happy in the SBC which is a solid conference at the top.

Couple of reasons, in 2019 their non-conference schedule was Fostoria, Rossford, Genoa, Woodward and Bowsher. Current SBC setup has them only playing 5 conference games and having to scrounge together Weeks 4-5. Combine that with the league being garbage (Willard, Vermilion are terrible) it leaves us to ask why not join a better league throughout with better travel time and be that 8th team if Woodmore leaves?

No surprise, Clay accepted the NLL invite. In the board video below, they mentioned what the divisions would look like:

Big Schools: Anthony Wayne, Fremont Ross, Findlay, Northview, Perrysburg, Whitmer

Small Schools: Bowling Green, Clay, Napoleon, Southview, Springfield

(at the 19:35 mark)
That seems odd since Clay and Springfield both have more students than Ross.

Based on just boys enrollment though Ross is the largest of the three.

A NLL AD I talked with is confident they have a 12th to make 2 divisions of 6. That would work.

Last edited:
Reactions: AXE
Couple of reasons, in 2019 their non-conference schedule was Fostoria, Rossford, Genoa, Woodward and Bowsher. Current SBC setup has them only playing 5 conference games and having to scrounge together Weeks 4-5. Combine that with the league being garbage (Willard, Vermilion are terrible) it leaves us to ask why not join a better league throughout with better travel time and be that 8th team if Woodmore leaves?
If Oak harbor agreed with you they could have got in the NBC ahead of Maumee, but they didn't.

No reason to think they have changed their mind.

That seems odd since Clay and Springfield both have more students than Ross.

Based on just boys enrollment though Ross is the largest of the three.

A NLL AD I talked with is confident they have a 12th to make 2 divisions of 6. That would work.

I thought so too. I wondered if it's so Fremont Ross and Napoleon don't have to make long-haul visits to each other as division opponents, or so Ross can continue to play Findlay regularly? I know travel is going to be there regardless, but I wondered if geography or someone's request came into play for that. Or heck, maybe that guy is just wrong ?

Would also be curious who #12 could be. I know someone at BG who had the impression their leaders were definitely keeping their eye on whether or not Woodmore left the NBC, so I figured a ten team NLL was probably going to be the end result.

I thought so too. I wondered if it's so Fremont Ross and Napoleon don't have to make long-haul visits to each other as division opponents, or so Ross can continue to play Findlay regularly? I know travel is going to be there regardless, but I wondered if geography or someone's request came into play for that. Or heck, maybe that guy is just wrong ?

Would also be curious who #12 could be. I know someone at BG who had the impression their leaders were definitely keeping their eye on whether or not Woodmore left the NBC, so I figured a ten team NLL was probably going to be the end result.
For Napoleon, Ross is only 10 minutes farther away than Clay. So kind of a wash.

For Fremont, Napoleon is 20 minutes farther away than Whitmer. If I was Ross I would drive the extra 20 minutes.

I can't see BG in the NBC although I am sure there are people who think that is a good fit.

Last edited:

Ross will play Findlay regardless of them being in the same tier or conference. This year will be the 99th meeting between the two.

I can make a case for a lot of schools to do a lot of things. What you say makes sense but OH has been members of the SBC for a long time now. I just do not see them leaving and outside of you wishing have not heard anything verifiable.

Ross will play Findlay regardless of them being in the same tier or conference. This year will be the 99th meeting between the two.
Ross being in the big boy division could have been a caveat to membership? I cannot see Ross shying away from being in the larger division especially if it guaranteed NLL membership.

I can make a case for a lot of schools to do a lot of things. What you say makes sense but OH has been members of the SBC for a long time now. I just do not see them leaving and outside of you wishing have not heard anything verifiable.

Really? Perhaps some of the SBC/NBC people can shine light on it but I have heard quite a bit that under the table there is a ground swell for this. Right now for football you've got in the SBC River; Tiffin Calvert, Gibsonburg, Hopewell Loudon, Lakota, Fremont St Joe and Margaretta as Danbury jumped to 8 man.

We're in the same spot college football was a few years back when all these super leagues were formed, NW Ohio needs someone to organize all of this. This whole thing appears to be a giant mess, which isn't ideal for a sport like football with a very specific 10 week season that has no built in byes. There's a reason why 8 teams is the sweet spot that it is, having less than 7 conference games is no bueno

Last edited:
Really? Perhaps some of the SBC/NBC people can shine light on it but I have heard quite a bit that under the table there is a ground swell for this. Right now for football you've got in the SBC River; Tiffin Calvert, Gibsonburg, Hopewell Loudon, Lakota, Fremont St Joe and Margaretta as Danbury jumped to 8 man.

We're in the same spot college football was a few years back when all these super leagues were formed, NW Ohio needs someone to organize all of this. This whole thing appears to be a giant mess, which isn't ideal for a sport like football with a very specific 10 week season that has no built in byes. There's a reason why 8 teams is the sweet spot that it is, having less than 7 conference games is no bueno
I'll resist this time but you make it too easy.

Ross being in the big boy division could have been a caveat to membership? I cannot see Ross shying away from being in the larger division especially if it guaranteed NLL membership.

Guessing that the answer is yes, or at least that makes sense to me. Shoving Ross with the big boys largely keeps the divisions as TRAC schools plus Perrysburg and AW on one side, with NLL schools plus Clay on the other side. Northview gets to bite the bullet getting shoved in with the big boys for football, but should be more than fine in most of the other sports.

If a smaller school opted to leave and the NLL shrunk to 10 as opposed to expanding with a 12th, I would probably wager that in a divisional format Northview would slide in with the smaller schools leaving Ross with the big boys.

Last edited:
What are Woodmore's options? Stay in the NBC? Go with the new league with Northwood, OH, Swanton, etc? Is the SBC still on the table for them?

Guessing that the answer is yes, or at least that makes sense to me. Shoving Ross with the big boys largely keeps the divisions as TRAC schools plus Perrysburg and AW on one side, with NLL schools plus Clay on the other side. Northview gets to bite the bullet getting shoved in with the big boys for football, but should be more than fine in most of the other sports.

If a smaller school opted to leave and the NLL shrunk to 10 as opposed to expanding with a 12th, I would probably wager that in a divisional format Northview would slide in with the smaller schools leaving Ross with the big boys.
Divisions of 5 and 5 is a much worse idea for scheduling than 10.

I don't see Northview going into the small school division.

Whitmer - 1625
Perrysburg - 1252
Findlay - 1175
Anthony Wayne - 1082
Northview - 1014
Springfield - 884
Clay - 874
Ross - 853
Southview - 745
Bowling Green - 714
Napoleon - 506

Whitmer - 1625
Perrysburg - 1252
Findlay - 1175
Anthony Wayne - 1082
Northview - 1014
Springfield - 884
Clay - 874
Ross - 853
Southview - 745
Bowling Green - 714
Napoleon - 506
As you know those are 3 year old numbers. When new ones come out next year there will be some movement in the size order.

Whitmer - 1625
Perrysburg - 1252
Findlay - 1175
Anthony Wayne - 1082
Northview - 1014
Springfield - 884
Clay - 874
Ross - 853
Southview - 745
Bowling Green - 714
Napoleon - 506

I don't think 5 and 5 is that big of a deal from a scheduling standpoint. A league that I'm very familiar with in my area pulled it off for a couple of years as their league lineup was transitioning and they were stuck at 10 for 2-3 years. 7 league games, 4 divisional and 3 crossover. A few of the schools played an 8th league opponent with 1 of their 3 non-league games.

Yep. When you don’t have any other options you can take that stance. Except when they’ve been constantly knocking on SBC door last 4-5 years. That doesn’t count.

I will say this again. Maumee jumped the gun and should have stayed in the nll. They “should” be able to compete in the small division NLL.

Whitmer - 1625
Perrysburg - 1252
Findlay - 1175
Anthony Wayne - 1082
Northview - 1014
Springfield - 884
Clay - 874
Ross - 853
Southview - 745
Bowling Green - 714
Napoleon - 506
I would expect the NV and SV numbers to be more balanced when they actually do a count. Between these numbers being 3 years old and the redistricting that took place......I would be surprised if there is that big of a difference between the two schools now.

I'd guess because 1 travel in the NBC would be better for them (3 schools within half an hour drive and EVERYONE within 45 minutes, compared to the SBC with neighbor Port Clinton and everyone else between 45 and 60 minutes) and 2 they at one point supposedly had an NBC invite.
Margaretta and Sandusky are only 30 minutes away from Oak Harbor, and Huron and Edison are just 45 minutes away. There is very little difference for travel as far as Oak Harbor is concerned, whether it's in the SBC or the NBC.

Margaretta and Sandusky are only 30 minutes away from Oak Harbor, and Huron and Edison are just 45 minutes away. There is very little difference for travel as far as Oak Harbor is concerned, whether it's in the SBC or the NBC.

Margaretta and Sandusky aren't in the Bay. Well I guess Margaretta is for other sports, but not football.

Has anyone heard the rumor on the new small school conference?

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Hopewell Loudon
Woodmore
Lakota
Tiffin Calvert

North Baltimore
Van Buren

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Hopewell Loudon
Woodmore
Lakota
Tiffin Calvert

North Baltimore
Van Buren

No, but that would mean the NWOAL would stay together. Stay tuned for a lot of posters saying this will never happen. :)

Ottawa Hills
Northwood
Gibsonburg
Hopewell Loudon
Woodmore
Lakota
Tiffin Calvert

North Baltimore
Van Buren

The only reason I could buy a little bit of that is because SMCC/SJCC football issues. But Calvert didn’t enjoy the trips to Toledo during their TAAC time. I don’t see the Van Buren part at all.