All Star game moved from Atlanta

14Red

Ok, I'll admit I haven't followed this story closely. But MLB announced today they are moving the baseball All star game from Atlanta due to the "voter restrictions" in the state of Georgia.

What exactly is this all about??

Again, what restrictions? I’m serious, bc from what I can tell, ids are the big sticking point, but it can’t be that simple.

I think most reasonable people, whether Republican or Democrat, would agree that needing a state or federally recognized ID to vote is a good thing. You need one to fly on an airplane, you need one to drive a car, etc. Not a big deal.

But the Georgia republicans added some other things to make it much harder to vote for the folks (mostly urban, mostly minority) that leaned heavily for the Democrat candidates in 2020.
- reduced absentee / mail-in vote time frames
- reduced number of voter drop boxes
- criminal act to provide food/drink to voters waiting in line

Since there are so many people in Atlanta, with proportionally fewer voting locations (longer lines), and many voters that do have their own transportation (cannot get to drop box), this would clearly reduce the number of voters in Atlanta. It is clearly aimed at reducing the Democrat votes in the future. I'm a Republican and I think it is blatantly wrong.

If Georgia had just copied what some other states do, no problem. But they went way overboard. Ohio has a decent middle ground.
- IDs are of course required.
- Absentee ballots are not sent out willy-nilly; you must request one. It is not hard.
- Absentee ballots can be mailed in if you cannot get to a drop box.

I think most reasonable people, whether Republican or Democrat, would agree that needing a state or federally recognized ID to vote is a good thing. You need one to fly on an airplane, you need one to drive a car, etc. Not a big deal.

But the Georgia republicans added some other things to make it much harder to vote for the folks (mostly urban, mostly minority) that leaned heavily for the Democrat candidates in 2020.

Since there are so many people in Atlanta, with proportionally fewer voting locations (longer lines), and many voters that do have their own transportation (cannot get to drop box), this would clearly reduce the number of voters in Atlanta. It is clearly aimed at reducing the Democrat votes in the future. I'm a Republican and I think it is blatantly wrong.

If Georgia had just copied what some other states do, no problem. But they went way overboard. Ohio has a decent middle ground.
- Absentee ballots are not sent out willy-nilly; you must request one. It is not hard.
In Ohio, can I walk up to you with my Joe Biden button on, and hand you food or drink if you are in line to vote?

In Ohio, can I walk up to you with my Joe Biden button on, and hand you food or drink if you are in line to vote?
I honestly do not know. Certainly trying to influence the voters in line should not be legal. But making it a crime to distribute food/water seems a bit much.

I'm just trying to find the middle ground. Most in America seem unwilling to find the middle ground. Thus our big divide, and big problems.

Ok, I'll agree there really isn't a reason to add on a bunch of stuff, but just to play devils advocate, many pro sports leagues opened up their stadiums / arenas to allow voters to vote in mass. Isn't this "affecting" the election too?
I guess i just don't get it. I go vote, I rarely spend more than 5 minutes at the voting location. In and out.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, if you allow people give refreshments for people in line, what stops someone from having a big smorgasboard spread next to the line?? And who sponsors that? That's the slippery slope you get into.

Ok, I'll agree there really isn't a reason to add on a bunch of stuff, but just to play devils advocate, many pro sports leagues opened up their stadiums / arenas to allow voters to vote in mass. Isn't this "affecting" the election too?
I guess i just don't get it. I go vote, I rarely spend more than 5 minutes at the voting location. In and out.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, if you allow people give refreshments for people in line, what stops someone from having a big smorgasboard spread next to the line?? And who sponsors that? That's the slippery slope you get into.

In Warren County, Ohio I waited about an hour and a half to vote this past election which was a bit more than previous Presidential Elections. Traditionally a very red county which is made up of suburb types cities, towns and villages. I'd planned for about 2 hours so I was good on the time I allowed myself.

Many pro arenas opened for voting to assist with the issues of not enough voting locations. Georgia wants to cut down on voting locations. I also assume you have your own transportation...something many in urban communities don't have.

Your comment about refreshments...I've seen people pass out water and bags of chips. Not heading out to feed the whole fam and vote. Limit it to certain items and nobody goes get's criminally charged.

The main complaint is that Democrats encourage people to register to vote, republicans would like to choose who votes

20 years ago I abandoned the NBA over the direction it was heading. 2 years ago I abandoned the NFL over its political positions.
Now, MLB has walked its own plank with me as well. I've watched my last game. Hope MLB misses me & my kind going forth. Bless their little hearts.
If they decide to move the Masters by catering likewise to the "woke," golf will also cross itself off my list.
What I've learned once I eliminated them is I really don't miss any of it.
What I do now instead, is occasionally pull up an old college game I remember reading about, but didn't see back in the day & watch it.
Other than High School, I will not ever again pay for another pro or college sporting event...

In Warren County, Ohio I waited about an hour and a half to vote this past election which was a bit more than previous Presidential Elections. Traditionally a very red county which is made up of suburb types cities, towns and villages. I'd planned for about 2 hours so I was good on the time I allowed myself.

Many pro arenas opened for voting to assist with the issues of not enough voting locations. Georgia wants to cut down on voting locations. I also assume you have your own transportation...something many in urban communities don't have.

Your comment about refreshments...I've seen people pass out water and bags of chips. Not heading out to feed the whole fam and vote. Limit it to certain items and nobody goes get's criminally charged.

The main complaint is that Democrats encourage people to register to vote, republicans would like to choose who votes
Was the time more this year due to covid? I certainly have to think that had more to do with it than anyone will ever admit. Many poll workers tend to be in the "upper" age brackets and were likely not interested in being in crowds.

It's pretty simple to me and I think you as well - our idea is to make voting as easy as possible. In my life, voting has been nothing but easy, I've never had an issue voting and it's never been more than 15 minutes. If you live (choose to live) in big cities, then, like traffic, lines at stores, then this part of what you sign up for.

One thing that we've completely taken out of the the equation in most discussions is "moving up" or "bettering your situation". Some people like to live in big cities and that's great. Just understand that there are good and bad with that. You can go to the store at 2AM right down the street because it will probably be open. In rural America you may have to wait until morning. However, you also have to understand that a 10 mile trip in a big city may be an hour commute, and going out to a restaurant is going to take longer, etc.

All anyone is asking is that voters have an ID. I think that's a very reasonable request.

As far as the refreshments...don't think for a moment that there wouldn't be a street vendor set up food trucks all along a long voting line. Now I applaud them for their capitalistic thought, but my guess is the dems would somehow make it free food --- Dems like to choose who votes too, don't think they don't. There was more people vote this past year -- during a pandemic, than ever before. People in their 50's and 60's who'd never bothered to register to vote, voted. Let's just hope they voted only once.

20 years ago I abandoned the NBA over the direction it was heading. 2 years ago I abandoned the NFL over its political positions.
Now, MLB has walked its own plank with me as well. I've watched my last game. Hope MLB misses me & my kind going forth. Bless their little hearts.
If they decide to move the Masters by catering likewise to the "woke," golf will also cross itself off my list.
What I do now instead, is occasionally pull up an old college game I remember reading about, but didn't see back in the day & watch it.
Other than High School, I will not ever again pay for another pro or college sporting event...
Good for you nooks, I can't imagine not having sports in my life and that probably tells me more about my life and you obviously have other things that can take your discretionary time up with.

The proof will be in the $$'s, and honestly, since last summer, I've not seen near the amount of social injustice stuff from the pro sports leagues. I think - behind the scenes, someone, and agent, a team official who deals with sponsorship contracts and stuff like that told these guys they are going down a dark path. I mean if you really feel that strongly about this then so be it. But in the long run when you start cutting revenues because TV ratings continue to drop. Look at NBA ratings the last few years and it's not good. They say Magic Johnson, Larry Bird brought the NBA back in the early 80's and Michael Jordan really pushed it up in the late 80's and 90's, Lebron James is killing the league now.

All anyone is asking is that voters have an ID. I think that's a very reasonable request.

As far as the refreshments...don't think for a moment that there wouldn't be a street vendor set up food trucks all along a long voting line. Now I applaud them for their capitalistic thought, but my guess is the dems would somehow make it free food --- Dems like to choose who votes too, don't think they don't. There was more people vote this past year -- during a pandemic, than ever before. People in their 50's and 60's who'd never bothered to register to vote, voted. Let's just hope they voted only once.

If all they were asking for was IDs then why are they also cutting polling locations, cutting down on drop boxes, making their absentee window shorter, cutting out weekend early voting and the food issue?

I stated earlier that they could simply make water and some sort of small snack available to those that may need it during a long wait. Have a poll worker sit at the table to assure they aren't giving one party more water than the other. I've seen water handed out when I've voted before without thinking anything about it. If someone wanted to have a food truck across the street there would be nothing anyone could do.

You kinda answer the Republican way of thinking...if we can't win let's make things more difficult so maybe we don't lose again. "Let's just hope they voted only once"....smdh

They say Magic Johnson, Larry Bird brought the NBA back in the early 80's and Michael Jordan really pushed it up in the late 80's and 90's, Lebron James is killing the league now.
So your theory is that one of the most popular athletes on the planet is killing the NBA? Please explain how.

Or could it be the simple common sense explanation?
1) There are now more things than ever that draw people's interests. Infinite streaming media choices, huge gaming options, etc. All sports are getting diluted, the lone exception being the NFL.
2) The NBA has made some political stances that some folks dislike.
3) The general style of play in the NBA game has changed and perhaps some "old school" hoops fans are tuning out.

Nope, can't be that, it's LeBron's fault. LOL. You are such a LeBron hater.

To each his or her own.

I personally detest all things political (both the far left & far right are insane) but would never let a political stance dictate how I spend my free time. I love watching the games, and 99% of the players and coaches have nothing to do with these decisions.

...apparently the players union voted to approve it. So at least 51% of the players support it.

...apparently the players union voted to approve it. So at least 51% of the players support it.

They didn't vote, MLBPA leadership group was made aware of the possible changes and gave input. And you can boycott college and pro sports, just don't call out Cancel Culture...when in fact, you are part of Cancel Culture.

I'm calling out no one... I'm simply taking the phone off the hook. Everyone else can do as they please. I didn't tell them my voting rights preferences, nor was I interested in hearing theirs. They chose to voice it anyway...now I'm choosing. Call it whatever you'd like.

So... If you have no interest in pro sports for personal / political reasons, that's cool.

Wondering why you then spend your free time coming in to pro sports chat forums and telling people you aren't interested? Seems a little mental to me.

There's always curling.

This wasn't a player decision, it's not something I'm forced to watch if I want to watch a game. I'll probably avoid the all-star lead up and game, it's going to be tedious.