How should this be handled?

thisisinsane

Well, they obviously can’t go the way of racism...
The school ridicules the cops. I have heard from several officers in my area that the school will call them, they will come, but the school won’t press charges so the cops are called to be babysitters with force. Then they are ridiculed for any use of force. It’s an awful position to be in. Then we have the Mom suing for her lack of parenting. Unreal.

Last edited:

The school ridicules the cops. I have heard from several officers in my area that the school will call them, they will come, but the school won’t press charges so the cops are called to be babysitters with force. Then they are ridiculed for any use of force. It’s an awful position to be in. Then we have the Mom suing for her lack of parenting. Unreal.

This is one of the many reasons why nobody wants to be a Police Officer anymore and I’m afraid it will just get worse. Look what happened to Officer Kevin Brown at the Cincinnati Kroger store a few years ago with the 12 yr old thief.

This is one of the many reasons why nobody wants to be a Police Officer anymore and I’m afraid it will just get worse. Look what happened to Officer Kevin Brown at the Cincinnati Kroger store a few years ago with the 12 yr old thief.
Definitely. Stern= “Trauma”-tizing. That’s another issue in and of itself, the overuse of the word “trauma”. Many kids are picking up on that as a buzzword, usually through parental or doctoral guidance. It really devalues those that have actually experienced traumatic events, especially in regards to our veterans and rape survivors.

I’m gonna go with cops should not call 5 years olds little beasts and threaten to beat them up. There is likely a better way to handle that.

Total BS What is the life expectancy of that young boy? Bring back schools for troubled and disciplinary problem students. Mad and Sad, Kudos to that officer. If he didn't care he never would have said anything. I'll say it again and again Personal responsibility. Follow instructions

All this could be true, still it’s a 5 year old child. There is no excuse for it. These guys are idiots. The cops I know wouldn’t have considered handling it that way.

Last edited:
Total BS What is the life expectancy of that young boy? Bring back schools for troubled and disciplinary problem students. Mad and Sad, Kudos to that officer. If he didn't care he never would have said anything. I'll say it again and again Personal responsibility. Follow instructions
I’m always amazed at the stupid people on this site.

I’m gonna go with cops should not call 5 years olds little beasts and threaten to beat them up. There is likely a better way to handle that.
You probably would punish the child by making him give you one of your special massages with a happy ending.

I’m always amazed at the stupid people on this site.
Does that happen often when you look in the mirror?

Here's what's wrong with that kid----
1616996300663.png

I have no problem with what that police officer did. It's because the mother of that child has never held the kid accountable is why he's throwing a temper tantrum and being disobedient.

5 year olds being yelled at by police. Are you serious? Boy, are your kids going to be screwed up.
I’m always amazed that someone can read a post on this site and make assumptions based on that post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sexist to assume this five-year-old’s gender. All children should be called “it” until the age 18 when they are mature enough to legally decide their gender

Raise your hand if you think this child will grow up respecting police.

Aside from bringing the child back to the building, I don't see how they did anything but escalate the situation. Kid's screaming to the point of gagging and your solution is to yell at the top your lungs "SHUT THAT NOISE UP!" and telling him she wishes she could beat him. Yeah, that's definitely helping.

Last edited:
I think there is a far better way to handle this situation rather than berating a five year old. A cop intimidating a five year old may have an impact in that moment, but what will it do for the kid long-term? I get the kid is probably a behavioral problem, but at five years old it is difficult to imagine that is much of his own doing, but rather a product of his environment. So screaming at a five year old who is already acting out is not going to get you anywhere.
This is a clear power struggle between a kid and a trained professional adult who obviously has no clue how to de-escalate this kid. If you're a parent you've experienced this situation with your own kids, and in no way, shape or form is this a good way to handle an irrational child. Five year olds are not usually able to comprehend the magnitude of their decisions and by escalating this with threats and intimidation will only lead to repeat behaviors like this, since this is likely an attention seeking behavior. If you want to hold the child accountable, by all means you should, it should not come in the fashion of threats and intimidation. De-escalate the child, return them to the school, handle the situation in a calm and assertive manner when cooler heads have prevailed.

Does that happen often when you look in the mirror?

Here's what's wrong with that kid----
View attachment 15998

I have no problem with what that police officer did. It's because the mother of that child has never held the kid accountable is why he's throwing a temper tantrum and being disobedient.
Your last sentence is contradictory to your point here. The mother has neglected her parental duties, and therefore the police should reprimand a five year old for poor behavior? This makes no sense to me. The mother should be held accountable in this situation, but since it was handled as poorly as it was, she gets to play the victim card. A situation such as this is an opportune time to hold the child accountable, but also use it as a teachable moment for making decisions like this that are major safety issues.
I could somewhat understand a yelling match with a 15 year old, but a five year has no grasp of the magnitude of their behaviors and act out irrationally for attention. The police officer is fulfilling the need for attention by engaging in a yelling match, which is acting in contrast to the intended outcome of the child not repeating this behavior.

My five kids are all professionals making at least ninety grand a year. My three boys all played division one sports on scholarship. Tell me about your winners. I feel sorry for your kids.
I call BS. Your mouth doesn't back up your claims. Private sector jobs? Own their companies? Division one athletes and a mouth like yours? Pardon my dismissal of said claim. 3 Division one full ride athletes? Hmmm

My boys strived to be the best. The money they make is of little meaning. Just to clarify it's above 100k for both. But, they are doing what they wanted. One fast tracked and the other took his time figuring life out. Praise is heaped upon them by others all the time. My response is it's nice to hear but you're only one marijuana cigarette, Omvi or baby making experience away from problems. Me calling them winners was a mistake. It wasn't the right thing to do. For that statement I apologize. Both were at the pinnacle of their sports. You get rings when you win. I was proud and liked to brag about it. My boys didn't want any part of it. I still like to talk about it. The only thing my youngest son is proud of today is the Academic All American award. It's the only item he hasn't boxed up.

In summary, talking about children is probably not the best idea on Yappi. I wish every Yappi members children the best in life. I won't bring offspring into the conversation.

Your last sentence is contradictory to your point here. The mother has neglected her parental duties, and therefore the police should reprimand a five year old for poor behavior? This makes no sense to me. The mother should be held accountable in this situation, but since it was handled as poorly as it was, she gets to play the victim card. A situation such as this is an opportune time to hold the child accountable, but also use it as a teachable moment for making decisions like this that are major safety issues.
I could somewhat understand a yelling match with a 15 year old, but a five year has no grasp of the magnitude of their behaviors and act out irrationally for attention. The police officer is fulfilling the need for attention by engaging in a yelling match, which is acting in contrast to the intended outcome of the child not repeating this behavior.
Either the Police were called because he roamed away or they found him roaming the street by himself outside the school, so they were telling he needed to go back into the school. This kid began throwing a temper tantrum when he was told to sit down. This is most likely becaue the parent does not hold him accountable. You are just another one making excuses for bad behavior by children. Children will make mistakes and some are mischievous and will get in trouble for bad behavior, but actions like this are because the mother of that child obviously lets him get away with it. When parenting and schools stopped holding children accountable for their misdeeds is when all these problems starting maginifying themselves. Like I said I don't think the police officer did anything wrong. I'd like to see the video of what happened before the part that is shown. I would make a wager that the kid was smarting off to the police officer prior to what we're seeing in the video.

but actions like this are because the mother of that child obviously lets him get away with it.

How can you say this and a couple sentences later say this:

I'd like to see the video of what happened before the part that is shown. I would make a wager that the kid was smarting off to the police officer prior to what we're seeing in the video.

There are parents that try their best but still struggle to stay ahead of their children's behaviors. I was at a kid's birthday party this weekend and saw plenty of irrational bad behaviors from kids the same age as my son, and these were children whose parents have the same values and approaches to discipline as I do. By comparison, my son demonstrated great patience and tolerance in situations where he could have broken down. Children these ages aren't created equally.

The link says the child was five years old which probably means Kindergarten and therefore possibly his first year in a school setting. I wouldn't be too sure his sense of "know better" than to walk away from school is all there.

I call BS. Your mouth doesn't back up your claims. Private sector jobs? Own their companies? Division one athletes and a mouth like yours? Pardon my dismissal of said claim. 3 Division one full ride athletes? Hmmm

My boys strived to be the best. The money they make is of little meaning. Just to clarify it's above 100k for both. But, they are doing what they wanted. One fast tracked and the other took his time figuring life out. Praise is heaped upon them by others all the time. My response is it's nice to hear but you're only one marijuana cigarette, Omvi or baby making experience away from problems. Me calling them winners was a mistake. It wasn't the right thing to do. For that statement I apologize. Both were at the pinnacle of their sports. You get rings when you win. I was proud and liked to brag about it. My boys didn't want any part of it. I still like to talk about it. The only thing my youngest son is proud of today is the Academic All American award. It's the only item he hasn't boxed up.

In summary, talking about children is probably not the best idea on Yappi. I wish every Yappi members children the best in life. I won't bring offspring into the conversation.
Agreed.

Last edited:
I'm
How can you say this and a couple sentences later say this:

There are parents that try their best but still struggle to stay ahead of their children's behaviors. I was at a kid's birthday party this weekend and saw plenty of irrational bad behaviors from kids the same age as my son, and these were children whose parents have the same values and approaches to discipline as I do. By comparison, my son demonstrated great patience and tolerance in situations where he could have broken down. Children these ages aren't created equally.

The link says the child was five years old which probably means Kindergarten and therefore possibly his first year in a school setting. I wouldn't be too sure his sense of "know better" than to walk away from school is all there.
I made those two comments because I'm stating this kid most likely knows know limits because he's never held accountable for his actions. Again you're another one making excuses. In your anecdote I'd like to see at home if your other parents actually do treat their children and teach them like you've obviously done.

My wife and I have friends with similar viewpoints but in reality, they didn't carry through with the discipline and teaching necessary. I will admit there are some kids who are out of control but for the most part it's because the parents don't make the effort to teach them the proper way to act. The one's who have serious socialization issues are few, but since we have the new way of rasing kids they've become the many.