2021 Division V Outlook

ex_dc_atc

Division V should be interesting this year. Who are the favorites in each region and then to win state overall? Will anyone be ready to challenge Kirtland?

Region 17: You have to say Kirtland is the favorite, don't you? South Range was the only team to come within 14 points of Kirtland in the 2020 playoffs. I expect similar this season with Kirtland winning the region.

Region 18: Generally this region is much more open. In 2020, Otsego beat Eastwood for the regional championship. Ottawa Glandorf and Liberty Benton typically have stronger teams. I'm not sure who everyone brings back or who should be favored in R18.

Region 19: Ironton lost their Ohio State LB. I would expect them to still be playoff caliber teams but take a step back in 2021. Wheelersburg and Columbus Academy should have good teams. Outside of that cluster, I'm not sure what everyone returns in 2021.

Region 20: Roger Bacon lost their stud, LSU RB. I think they'll still be a playoff team but obviously take a step back. Versailles was very improved in 2020 and is well prepared thanks to the MAC. Will the Tigers keep moving forward in 2021? CHCA and West Liberty-Salem typically have playoff teams but I'm not sure how strong either will be. Typically this is a region I'm confident on who the favorite is, but I don't have strong feelings. It's hard to go wrong with the MAC teams, so I expect Versailles to be strong.

Thoughts?

Division V should be interesting this year. Who are the favorites in each region and then to win state overall? Will anyone be ready to challenge Kirtland?

Region 17: You have to say Kirtland is the favorite, don't you? South Range was the only team to come within 14 points of Kirtland in the 2020 playoffs. I expect similar this season with Kirtland winning the region.

Region 18: Generally this region is much more open. In 2020, Otsego beat Eastwood for the regional championship. Ottawa Glandorf and Liberty Benton typically have stronger teams. I'm not sure who everyone brings back or who should be favored in R18.

Region 19: Ironton lost their Ohio State LB. I would expect them to still be playoff caliber teams but take a step back in 2021. Wheelersburg and Columbus Academy should have good teams. Outside of that cluster, I'm not sure what everyone returns in 2021.

Region 20: Roger Bacon lost their stud, LSU RB. I think they'll still be a playoff team but obviously take a step back. Versailles was very improved in 2020 and is well prepared thanks to the MAC. Will the Tigers keep moving forward in 2021? CHCA and West Liberty-Salem typically have playoff teams but I'm not sure how strong either will be. Typically this is a region I'm confident on who the favorite is, but I don't have strong feelings. It's hard to go wrong with the MAC teams, so I expect Versailles to be strong.

Thoughts?

Ironton has a sophomore lb/rb I believe that is supposed to be pretty good. Getting looks from ohio state as well. I feel this division is going to be a good one this year.

Ironton has a sophomore lb/rb I believe that is supposed to be pretty good. Getting looks from ohio state as well. I feel this division is going to be a good one this year.
May be getting a token look but did you see the Championship game? Those kinda of kids usually stand out like a sore thumb and sure didn’t see that. Have seen Ironton a good bit the last few years and they will take a step back somewhat this year but will still be very good.

May be getting a token look but did you see the Championship game? Those kinda of kids usually stand out like a sore thumb and sure didn’t see that. Have seen Ironton a good bit the last few years and they will take a step back somewhat this year but will still be very good.
I mean the kid has an Arkansas offer already. I was surprised by it too but we'll see if he makes a big leap as a player this next year.

Based on their long tradition, I do expect Ironton to be a good football team. From down that way, what does Wheelersburg have coming back? That's a traditional rivalry as well.

I mean the kid has an Arkansas offer already. I was surprised by it too but we'll see if he makes a big leap as a player this next year.
I was only meaning Arkansas is one thing but OSU is an entirely different recruiting level is all. The kid is pretty good though. Burg will be really good again. They return some really nice backs - I think a lot will depend on the fellas up front for them but they do have some awful good pieces.

Kirtland is the prohibitive favorite in Region 17 until they are beaten. They are on the longest win streak in Northeast Ohio football history, and have won a regional title 9/10 years, so until they lose, they remain the favorite. I expect South Range, Crestview, & another sleeper team like Cardinal Mooney to compete in this region.

In Region 18, I would not be surprised if Otsego wins again. Based on what I saw on their roster, they return a bulk of talent from last year’s team, including a 1000+ yard rusher who was out due to an injury against Kirtland. Ottawa-Glandorf and Eastwood are usual suspects here. Elyria Catholic & Liberty-Benton could make things interesting as well.

In Region 19, it’s a three-man race between Ridgewood, Ironton, & Wheelersburg. Harvest Prep nearly pulled the upset over Ironton last season, so depending on what they return, I might include them in that mix as well. Not sure how much Ironton loses, but they obviously lost their stud RB/LB to Ohio State & replace him with an underclassman getting looks from Power 5 schools. And Ridgewood returns their All-Ohio QB plus a few other pieces.

Region 20 is the one region I know least about. I know Versailles is on the rise & that Roger Bacon returns a couple key pieces. Taft also hired a new head coach, so perhaps they make a splash this season.

It feels like this division has been dominated by Regions 17 and 19 in recent years. I would not be surprised if Region 18 or 20 find their way into the state title game this year.

R17- Kirkland over South Range

R18- Ottawa Glandorf over Ostego

R19- Ridgewood over Harvest Prep (hot take!)

R20- Versailles over Cincinnati Hills Christian Acad.

Semifinals- Kirkland over Ridgewood and Versailles over Ottawa Glandorf

Finals- Kirkland over Versailles

R20 is wide open outside of Versailles. i’ll go with CHCA because they have consistently been very competitive. Shawnee, Greenon, Taft, Roger Bacon all lose a lot. i don’t see West Liberty Salem, Blanchester, or Brookville as contenders next year. throw Madeira and Mariemont in the pack as well. R20 is Versailles region to lose next year.

It's completely possible that Versailles should be the favorite in R20. What's surprising about it, is that I'm not sure where Versailles ranks within the MAC. I would say at least below Marion Local and Coldwater, but possibly lower than that? Speaks to the strength of their league.

It's completely possible that Versailles should be the favorite in R20. What's surprising about it, is that I'm not sure where Versailles ranks within the MAC. I would say at least below Marion Local and Coldwater, but possibly lower than that? Speaks to the strength of their league.
They should be 3rd next year behind ML and Coldwater. They bring back a lot.

Versailles was originally in region 18 last year until region realignment. So they could easily go back to region 18 since some Cincy teams wont opt out this year.

Versailles will compete for league champion this year.

IMO they will finish 3rd but definitely in the running for a league title

I don't know how much Kirtland lost from last year's team, but they always reload. That being said, if there's anyone that has a legit chance to knock them off in R17, it's South Range. I know they played Kirtland tough last year, and they return quite a bit from that team. It's hard to tell what Mooney's going to be like. I'm sure they have talent, but their schedule is usually a meat grinder. I doubt that Crestview will be as good as they were last year. They lost quite a bit, but do have a couple of good returning players. Not enough to compete for the region though. Garfield should be pretty good as well.

Versailles was originally in region 18 last year until region realignment. So they could easily go back to region 18 since some Cincy teams wont opt out this year.

Versailles will compete for league champion this year.
if Versailles gets put back in R18 (geographically, they don’t belong) then R20 will be extremely weak in my opinion.

I don't know how much Kirtland lost from last year's team, but they always reload. That being said, if there's anyone that has a legit chance to knock them off in R17, it's South Range. I know they played Kirtland tough last year, and they return quite a bit from that team. It's hard to tell what Mooney's going to be like. I'm sure they have talent, but their schedule is usually a meat grinder. I doubt that Crestview will be as good as they were last year. They lost quite a bit, but do have a couple of good returning players. Not enough to compete for the region though. Garfield should be pretty good as well.
Who all comes back for SR? I know they lose the QB but how about the RB? They just seem to reload. Garfield will be pretty good again but I don't know if they can hang with the Kirtlands ans SRs of the world.

Who all comes back for SR? I know they lose the QB but how about the RB? They just seem to reload. Garfield will be pretty good again but I don't know if they can hang with the Kirtlands ans SRs of the world.

I know they lose the QB and a couple on the lines, but the RB and most of their skill is back.

if Versailles gets put back in R18 (geographically, they don’t belong) then R20 will be extremely weak in my opinion.

Agreed. CHCA and WL-S have had quality teams in the past. Now they both seem to be a playoff team that can maybe win a game, but that's about it. Brookville is hit and miss. The other Cincy schools are relatively weak. Roger Bacon will fall off some, but I actually think they'll still be a 7 or 8 win team.

Agreed. CHCA and WL-S have had quality teams in the past. Now they both seem to be a playoff team that can maybe win a game, but that's about it. Brookville is hit and miss. The other Cincy schools are relatively weak. Roger Bacon will fall off some, but I actually think they'll still be a 7 or 8 win team.

I think both schools are victims of being in the same region as the MAC. I know for WLS, since 2009 they are 9-0 against non-MAC or fellow OHC teams. That's in 8 playoff trips. They are 0-6 against the MAC. 3 regional championship appearances, losing to Mechanicsburg in OT, Minster and West Jefferson 2 years ago. I would guess it's similar for CHCA.

With 12 teams, I think WLS will get in despite being down a little in comparison to the other top tier OHC North teams. I think it's tough to gauge about anyone this early with the exception of the teams we know return about everyone.

i have Roger Bacon at 7-3 but they won’t be built to make a playoff run. West Liberty Salem was..poor last year (compared to where they got seeded and how close some bad teams played them). i’d never bet on Brookville. Taft, Greenon, and Shawnee all lost a lot so i think they will fall off. if Versailles goes back to 18, i’ll take CHCA to win a weak region.

Also, WLS was originally going to be in R18 last year but got moved back to 20 just before the season. I could see they and Versailles both going to R18.

I think both schools are victims of being in the same region as the MAC. I know for WLS, since 2009 they are 9-0 against non-MAC or fellow OHC teams. That's in 8 playoff trips. They are 0-6 against the MAC. 3 regional championship appearances, losing to Mechanicsburg in OT, Minster and West Jefferson 2 years ago. I would guess it's similar for CHCA.

With 12 teams, I think WLS will get in despite being down a little in comparison to the other top tier OHC North teams. I think it's tough to gauge about anyone this early with the exception of the teams we know return about everyone.
are you forgetting the loss to #11 seed Mariemont, at home, by 25 points last season? otherwise i agree with you.

i wish WLS Color still posted. i’m sure he has some input on what they have coming up. i heard that the talent in the freshmen/sophomore class wasn’t very good last year outside one kid.

Last edited:
Also, WLS was originally going to be in R18 last year but got moved back to 20 just before the season. I could see they and Versailles both going to R18.
i hope not. WLS and Versailles make much more sense in R24 than Bishop Ready and Westfall.

are you forgetting the loss to #12 seed Mariemont, at home, by 25 points last season? otherwise i agree with you.

Man, you hate WLS. Hahaha. Yes, I did forget that. So 9-1 against non-MAC or non-OHC teams.

I know Greenon counts last year as their first ever playoff appearance. I would guess most WLS folks don't really consider last year's squad a playoff team.

Man, you hate WLS. Hahaha. Yes, I did forget that. So 9-1 against non-MAC or non-OHC teams.

I know Greenon counts last year as their first ever playoff appearance. I would guess most WLS folks don't really consider last year's squad a playoff team.
i have nothing against WLS. much respect for them. but last year people said they were much better than they were. they beat 1-5 Northeastern by 1 and 2-4 Triad by 7. and got close to dominated by a team seeded much lower than them. the 2019 team was very, very good. but they dropped off last year. the regional title berth was still fresh in people’s minds.

as for counting it as a playoff appearance, i think it’s fair to count it if you made it to the round of 32. the everyone makes it thing was just implemented to make sure no one missed out due to not playing enough games.

In Region 18, I would not be surprised if Otsego wins again. Based on what I saw on their roster, they return a bulk of talent from last year’s team, including a 1000+ yard rusher who was out due to an injury against Kirtland.
They lose almost their whole Defense but bring back 6 or 7 on Offense including their QB, RB and 3/5 O-lineman.

Thoughts?
It is not even baseball season yet, wrestling tournament is just to getting underway, and this is really pumping me up for football season. I need to slow down and enjoy the journey. Thanks for the thread.

I know they lose the QB and a couple on the lines, but the RB and most of their skill is back.
That's correct ThaXFactor, the Raiders lose Patrone - QB, Gehring - TE/DE, Crumbacher - SE/DB, Blasko SE/SS, Bequeath OT/DT, and Novak K. So there are a few key positions to replace, but definitely they should have high hopes barring any injuries.

I wouldnt count last year toward a playoff records either way. Its was a tourney, not a playoff. I dont think it should count toward "playoff appearances" either.

Not to take away anything from those that won, but schools like WLS and Triad and Madison Plains were not playoff caliber teams last year, and would never have made it in a normal year.

i have nothing against WLS. much respect for them. but last year people said they were much better than they were. they beat 1-5 Northeastern by 1 and 2-4 Triad by 7. and got close to dominated by a team seeded much lower than them. the 2019 team was very, very good. but they dropped off last year. the regional title berth was still fresh in people’s minds.

as for counting it as a playoff appearance, i think it’s fair to count it if you made it to the round of 32. the everyone makes it thing was just implemented to make sure no one missed out due to not playing enough games.
I agree on WLS. I only saw them once last year (against NE), but they were not that good. Not a typical looking WLS team. IM happy that Greenon kids got the experience of playing in the postseason and winning a few games. But I still wouldnt count it as a playoff year, it was a tourney. But they had a good season nonetheless.

Greenon has come a long way. I saw them play beck in the mid 2010's. They were not a good FB team. Glad to see those kids be able to turn things around.