Ohio State Buckeyes 2020

Many are saying that Dabo and Clemson are turning into a "heel" program. Along with the Dabo and Venebles act they always seem to have some super 'roided up over hyped LB that plays like a mad man, the current version is James Skalski. They also have a Teflon aspect to the program in that whenever there is trouble it never seems to stick to them. If things get chippy in the semifinal and tOSU is down I would not be surprised to see Buckeye players start doing some stupid stuff.

Not a good match up for Ohio State either. The Clemson strength on defense is Venebles' confusing schemes and their pass rush, I would be worried with the young Buckeye WRs running the wrong routes and with the way Fields is playing holding on to the ball too long, the sack total may be double digits. Also they may want to huddle at key points of the game and not use signals, the Clemson staff of 50 grad assistants are on the sideline and in the booth trying to steal signs so the great Venbles can adjust when he knows the play. When Clemson has the ball they need to take away the HR ball and keep Lawrence in the pocket, the Clemson OL is their weak link but Lawrence bails them out with great quick releases and the ability to move out the pocket and extend the play. I would also show some different looks to the front 7 to confuse the Clemson OL and help create mistakes because the Buckeye DBs really don't stand a chance against one of the best NCAA QBs historically speaking.

Many are saying that Dabo and Clemson are turning into a "heel" program. Along with the Dabo and Venebles act they always seem to have some super 'roided up over hyped LB that plays like a mad man, the current version is James Skalski. They also have a Teflon aspect to the program in that whenever there is trouble it never seems to stick to them. If things get chippy in the semifinal and tOSU is down I would not be surprised to see Buckeye players start doing some stupid stuff.

Not a good match up for Ohio State either. The Clemson strength on defense is Venebles' confusing schemes and their pass rush, I would be worried with the young Buckeye WRs running the wrong routes and with the way Fields is playing holding on to the ball too long, the sack total may be double digits. Also they may want to huddle at key points of the game and not use signals, the Clemson staff of 50 grad assistants are on the sideline and in the booth trying to steal signs so the great Venbles can adjust when he knows the play. When Clemson has the ball they need to take away the HR ball and keep Lawrence in the pocket, the Clemson OL is their weak link but Lawrence bails them out with great quick releases and the ability to move out the pocket and extend the play. I would also show some different looks to the front 7 to confuse the Clemson OL and help create mistakes because the Buckeye DBs really don't stand a chance against one of the best NCAA QBs historically speaking.
Firstly, Dabo is a classic "heel". In terms of the game itself, they need to simplify the plan for Fields. OSU needs to lean on that strong O-line and keep feeding Sermon and Teague (if he's healthy) until Clemson can prove it's not effective. Mix in some RPO plays for Fields as well to exploit his athleticism and keep the defense honest. If they can maintain lengthy, clock-eating drives like the first one against NW, it may be their best shot. Fields seems to want the homerun ball on every play, and IMO, it's getting in his head. As you mentioned, he's hanging on to the ball too long, and has been more prone to make the wrong decision in big games (i.e. Indiana, NW). I hate to say it, but 'Tressel-ball' may be your best option against Clemson this year.

On the other side of the ball, I don't know what to say. It could get ugly. My first call would be to Jeff Hafley to pick his brain. They were maybe the closest to pulling it off against the Tigers, albeit Lawrence still getting some impressive numbers. Hopefully Wade can put it all together for the first time this year on one side of the field, you manage the damage on the other, and the frontend can keep Etienne in front of them. But that's a tall order. I think the wildcard may be waiting to see who's actually available to play for OSU. Although Justin Hilliard sure played an insane game last week. Next man up, I guess.

Dabo Swinney, Clemson

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Notre Dame

4. Texas A&M

5. Florida

6. Georgia

7. Cincinnati

8. Oklahoma

9. Iowa State

10. Coastal Carolina

11. Ohio State

:unsure:

I love the Buckeyes, but I think they are going to get their rear end handed to them in this one.

Never say never! I think Dabo and Brent may be going into this game a tad over confident. Would love to see OSU just pound the rock and throw short quick passes. Honestly the Buckeyes should have been ahead 24-28 to zip last year if JK could have held onto the ball and sunshine wasnt such a good actor on the roughing call. I give the Buckeye's a punchers chance but it could get ugly if they turn the ball over or try to get into a shootout with Clemson.

Clemson is better in all phases and Day is nowhere near good enough a coach to beat Dabo with less overall talent. 34-3 Tigers
Wow. I've always valued your opinion on here. IMO, I do like OSU's chances. We'll see. I can't wait. Go Buckeyes!

I'd love to be wrong, but I haven't seen anything this year that makes me think the Buckeyes are able to hang with Clemson. Fields is extremely overrated, Teague and Sermon are the worst RB duo since Lydell Ross and Mo Hall, and the defense is a shell of last year's unit.

The OL is good and they probably have the best WR corp in the nation, but that's not going to beat Clemson.

I'd love to be wrong, but I haven't seen anything this year that makes me think the Buckeyes are able to hang with Clemson. Fields is extremely overrated, Teague and Sermon are the worst RB duo since Lydell Ross and Mo Hall, and the defense is a shell of last year's unit.

The OL is good and they probably have the best WR corp in the nation, but that's not going to beat Clemson.
OSU has quietly been running the ball very well in their last three games culminating in the record breaking total Saturday. Day's plan should be the same as last years when OSU dominated on the ground until JK hurt his foot

Clemson is better in all phases and Day is nowhere near good enough a coach to beat Dabo with less overall talent. 34-3 Tigers

I sadly agree with you, Clemson 45-10 going away. If you believe the recruiting analytics, the Buckeyes have the talent to compete with Clemson and Bama, but State just cannot convert their "stars" into a championship team. Alabama and Clemson are a clear 1 and two. OSU and the Domers are just filling out the field.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
With no OOC games for the Big Ten; hard to tell how good the Buckeyes are; looks like a mismatch, but maybe not. One thing for sure, they either need the right offensive game plan or Fields playing better to win.

Haskins released by Washington. Should have stayed and gotten more experience.

Hard to blame him for cashing in while his name was still hot. At the 15th pick you looking at least a10mil signing bonus and 3.5 mil base. If you are all but guaranteed to be 1st round pick its much safer to take more money now. Few players make it past their rookie contracts or get big second contracts (average career is less than 3 years).

additional from cleveland.com:

Haskins just needs to find the right coach and system. Branden Allen was released by both the Rams and Jags, couldn't start for the Broncos and threw for over 300 yds. last week vs the Texans. Plus if Ryan Finley can have an NFL job, Haskins surely can.

Between Fields hanging on the ball too long and the Buckeye's shaky defensive backfield I'm predicting they end up on the losing end of the scoreboard but I hope I'm mistaken.

Haskins just needs to find the right coach and system. Branden Allen was released by both the Rams and Jags, couldn't start for the Broncos and threw for over 300 yds. last week vs the Texans. Plus if Ryan Finley can have an NFL job, Haskins surely can.

How many of those guys were photographed in a strip club during a pandemic...when the HC is very high risk for COVID. Someone will end up taking a chance on him as a backup...and teams don't want their backups in the news

With Clemson's d. back, Nolan Turner, out the first half due to targeting against Notre Dame, the buckeyes have an opportunity to build a lead in the first half, especially now that Olave is playing in the game.

I sadly agree with you, Clemson 45-10 going away. If you believe the recruiting analytics, the Buckeyes have the talent to compete with Clemson and Bama, but State just cannot convert their "stars" into a championship team. Alabama and Clemson are a clear 1 and two. OSU and the Domers are just filling out the field.
Day should be fired in the locker room if that happens. No excuse for OSU to get outplayed like that.