Boardman football coach Joe Ignazio resigns from program

Time for the administration to step up and show how serious they are about winning football games.

With the talent coming thru this program, there is no excuse to not be in the playoffs and winning multiple games right now.

I think they saw Fitch got it right with their hire and Boardman can't even sniff beating Pav out in Canfield so we will see what happens.

Time for the administration to step up and show how serious they are about winning football games.

With the talent coming thru this program, there is no excuse to not be in the playoffs and winning multiple games right now.

I think they saw Fitch got it right with their hire and Boardman can't even sniff beating Pav out in Canfield so we will see what happens.

Fitch hired a guy who was already employed by the district and I think their best move was to hire a guy who got all of the young talented guys in that district to coach for Fitch. Does Boardman have that??

Williams would be a better hire than usual, but wouldn’t be my top choice.

I would take him over Fecko, who I’ve never thought that highly of. Fecko was working his way towards being fired at Mooney. So I’m not sure why that would excite anyone as a hire.

Guerriero would probably be my top pick and he does live in Boardman. So I guess it’s not completely out of the question. But still probably a long shot.

I like Hulea and could see him definitely being interested. I’d take him over Williams.

Whoever the head coach it is critical he puts together a good staff, as I think the lack of quality assistants the last few years has been as much of an issue as the head coach.

The offense will be key if he goes there, you cannot be one dimensional when you play schools the size of the schools that boardman plays. Isn’t boardman supposed to play Poland this year? How crazy would that be

No. Poland/Boardman was only a 2 year deal. 2019 and 2020. Poland has week 2 posted on the OHSAA open dates page.

Fitch hired a guy who was already employed by the district and I think their best move was to hire a guy who got all of the young talented guys in that district to coach for Fitch. Does Boardman have that??
Great point. If you look at the entirety of their assistant coaches, position coaches, Offensive and Defensive co-ordinators and especially Head Coach Fitch has an outstanding group that I think will even get better with time.

Guerriero has been mentioned a few times and I just can't see him leaving Springfield. He's been there a really long time, and certainly has a shot at a state championship next year. And even after next year, with this run they have been on he'd have job security pretty much as long as he wanted at Springfield. I always thought Boardman should have just waited a year and went hard after Mark Brungard.

Guerriero has been mentioned a few times and I just can't see him leaving Springfield. He's been there a really long time, and certainly has a shot at a state championship next year. And even after next year, with this run they have been on he'd have job security pretty much as long as he wanted at Springfield. I always thought Boardman should have just waited a year and went hard after Mark Brungard.

The problem is Boardman probably sees next year as a season to win a lot of games and wants a proven coach. But yes, Brungard would have been a top target. Which is why I think Guerriero, had Springfield won the state championship, would more likely taken the job.

And for the stealth pick, are we really going to get Ogilvie to come back? At the current stage of his career can't see him coming back even though he would absolutely be well received.

Mine is Mike Pavlansky. He's got a great gig at Canfield but probably has gotten everything he could out of them.

I heard that last year there was interest in bringing in Hake so that could be where that’s coming from. There’s absolutely no way now that Boardman would approve of him being hired even if that was the AD’s pick.

For those proffering the name of a former head coach in a community near Boardman, you might consider that the reason he is no longer in his previous position might be related to how he voted in the playoff seeding. I know that the administration was none too pleased with that. He is also known to run off at the mouth on many occasions,,,Didn’t make him many friends. His assistants were better coaches than he,,,one has a state championship ring.

Sometimes going from a small school to a big school doesn’t work out. More often then not the small school guys have complete control of the town and at a big school that doesn’t happen

For those proffering the name of a former head coach in a community near Boardman, you might consider that the reason he is no longer in his previous position might be related to how he voted in the playoff seeding. I know that the administration was none too pleased with that. He is also known to run off at the mouth on many occasions,,,Didn’t make him many friends. His assistants were better coaches than he,,,one has a state championship ring.
Hard to find people who actually like the guy honestly. The guy who won’t speak to the media after a loss is a clown

Didn’t think of that. But I know he wasn’t the most popular hire after Brungard left. So kudos to the Poland administration if his resignation was their call.
The way he voted for playoff seeding this year was bush league.

Speaking of Brungard, I don’t see him leaving Springfield until after his nephews graduate at the earliest. The youngest is a Freshman, I believe. I think there’s a better chance that Guerriero leaves than Brungard does. Brungard left Poland to coach his family at Springfield... if he wanted to coach them somewhere else, he would’ve gotten them in at Poland. I think coaching at his alma mater is very important to him.

What about Yeagley at South Range? Has he ever shown interest in moving up to a bigger school? I would be shocked if he did, but I'm sure that there are some bigger schools that would welcome him! Cusick as well. However, it just wouldn't be the same for either school without them on the sidelines since they've been there forever lol! They are the 2 of the most successful small school coaches in the area! Also, how long has McDonald's coach been there? He's had good success as well!

What about Yeagley at South Range? Has he ever shown interest in moving up to a bigger school? I would be shocked if he did, but I'm sure that there are some bigger schools that would welcome him! Cusick as well. However, it just wouldn't be the same for either school without them on the sidelines since they've been there forever lol! They are the 2 of the most successful small school coaches in the area! Also, how long has McDonald's coach been there? He's had good success as well!
those guys are great coaches but they are older. Personally I think that complicates things. I would think yeagley is closer to retirement then anything. Plus they are super competitive and probably have won more playoff games in the last 2-3 years than Boardman has in the last 25.
I think Guerrero could be a target. He is obviously the toast of the valley after the last two years, and although brungard is back, I’d imagine they have lost a lot of talent the last two years. It’s actually hard to name another younger coach from area that has had success. Doesn’t seem to be anyone from the mvac conference other than Guerrero...on the other side of that conference i think the labrae and Brookfield are the only ones who are consistently competitive. NE8 is mostly older guys with varying degrees of success and some are members of the community too...is the only young coach Bayuk? He seemed to have his hands full this year at Struthers. Maybe there are coordinators from success programs? Will Boardman pay 70-80k to get an experienced coach? All interesting ideas to debate. I think when you see the applicants you find out how attractive your job is to the outside world.

Hearing a lot of names. Tom Phillips is the most recent. Would be a good move. Been successful at Stow. Has worked in a college program (Cincy). Young enough to relate to the players, but experienced enough to know what he wants. I don't even think they've started interviewing yet, but just a new name that's been floating around lately.

those guys are great coaches but they are older. Personally I think that complicates things. I would think yeagley is closer to retirement then anything. Plus they are super competitive and probably have won more playoff games in the last 2-3 years than Boardman has in the last 25.
I think Guerrero could be a target. He is obviously the toast of the valley after the last two years, and although brungard is back, I’d imagine they have lost a lot of talent the last two years. It’s actually hard to name another younger coach from area that has had success. Doesn’t seem to be anyone from the mvac conference other than Guerrero...on the other side of that conference i think the labrae and Brookfield are the only ones who are consistently competitive. NE8 is mostly older guys with varying degrees of success and some are members of the community too...is the only young coach Bayuk? He seemed to have his hands full this year at Struthers. Maybe there are coordinators from success programs? Will Boardman pay 70-80k to get an experienced coach? All interesting ideas to debate. I think when you see the applicants you find out how attractive your job is to the outside world.

No, Boardman will not shell out 70-80K for a football coach. That's not how they operate. They will hire someone with a teaching license, and he will be expected to actually teach throughout the day.