OHSAA Meeting with State Championship Participants at 11:30 (Moving Games to Massillon)

Other governmental entities don’t want to go against the advisory of the local authorities.

Sure, but why care about the advisory if you're going to go someplace worse? "we want to respect franklin county, who is trying to keep all the participants safe. so we're going to go somewhere where transmission is actually higher."

It's making a move for purely optics purposes.

Sure, but why care about the advisory if you're going to go someplace worse? "we want to respect franklin county, who is trying to keep all the participants safe. so we're going to go somewhere where transmission is actually higher."

It's making a move for purely optics purposes.
I guess. The local authorities in Stark don't have an advisory. It's not about what's "safer" or not. It's about governmental entities respecting the advisory of the local authorities.

This seems more like it has to do with Franklin County likely going to Level Purple on the color coding this afternoon than the stay at home advisory from the county health department. That creates “stay at home” for the county at the state level. They are one of 2 counties that could have that happen today if they met 6+ indicators for the second week in a row, which is the Purple trigger.

This is an actual joke. This forces every team to change travel plans with less than a days notice for some. Awful. Now Ironton has to travel 4 hours and Kirtland has to travel 1? I have no dog in this fight, but this is stupidity at its finest.

From cleveland.com about moving the games:

The OHSAA already announced Wednesday that it moved up starting times for all state finals on Friday and Saturday. Games at 2 p.m. are now being played at 1:15 p.m. Games at 7 p.m. are now scheduled for 6:15 p.m. kickoffs to comply with Gov. Mike DeWine’s 10 p.m. curfew that goes into effect Thursday night in response to rising cases during the coronavirus pandemic.

However, Columbus and Franklin County are asking all people to be home by 6 p.m. each night.

Last edited:
This is an actual joke. This forces every team to change travel plans with less than a days notice for some. Awful. Now Ironton has to travel 4 hours and Kirtland has to travel 1? I have no dog in this fight, but this is stupidity at its finest.
I get that this will impact some schools more than others, but do you honestly think any of the players/coaches really care or will impact the outcomes of the games. Pre-COVID all of these games would have been in Canton anyways. This is mostly just a minor headache for admins.

At the very least, let the teams with farther drives play the night games. Massillon/Hoban should be an afternoon start due to less travel. same with DeSales/Chardon.

Congratulations to the OHSAA for making a smart move. The City of Columbus might be the biggest joke there is right now. You have 6 games left....get it done anyway possible.

Uh, the Fortress is in Obetz.....not the city of Columbus. Franklin County issued a stay at home advisory....which is why Ohio State is playing with no fans (not even parents).....which is beyond ridiculous in a stadium that holds 105,000 people.

I get that this will impact some schools more than others, but do you honestly think any of the players/coaches really care or will impact the outcomes of the games. Pre-COVID all of these games would have been in Canton anyways. This is mostly just a minor headache for admins.
The coach in me thinks to myself, wow. This really puts a wrench into my travel itinerary. turns 1.5 hours into 4 for Ironton.

Official release

https://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/News/o...ionships-to-Massillon-washington-this-weekend

The coach in me thinks to myself, wow. This really puts a wrench into my travel itinerary. turns 1.5 hours into 4 for Ironton.
More like 2 to 4. So, a 7:15 bus departure instead of 9:15? Definitely not ideal, but I don't think it changes anything else on the itinerary. Maybe in a normal year some schools would think about an overnight stay the night before.

I would've liked to see them just find different neutral sites for each games. I don't think it's essential to have them all in 1 place (even though its easiest in a normal year)

rather get home late than be up at 5 am or so. Usually teams would get hotels but in this crazy year with tight budgets, I doubt that's realistic for most.
FWIW, if I'm a coach, I'd prefer the night game regardless of my travel situation. Kids and routines are all programmed on the typical 7-7:30pm start for games. The 12-1 start times always feel weird.

More like 2 to 4. So, a 7:15 bus departure instead of 9:15? Definitely not ideal, but I don't think it changes anything else on the itinerary. Maybe in a normal year some schools would think about an overnight stay the night before.
usually would arrive 2/2.5 hours before game, but you also have to factor in team meals, packing, walkthroughs, etc. Would be nice if they could workout a hotel agreement.

Dont care where there played just glad they get to finish the season. I can’t imagine what awaits winter sports - it can’t end well.

Which makes no sense, because it's an advisory, not an order. OSU is still playing. Now OHSAA is moving the games out of franklin county (current data, 53 cases a day per 100,000 population) to stark county (current data 59 cases a day per 100,000). So if they're moving this game for COVID reasons, they're actually moving it somewhere more dangerous.

If the Stark County Board of Health issues a like kind order, you will see a similar response. It's not good business for an organization representing Ohio schools to ignore a health advisory such as this.

The argument over numbers and each health department/board doing their own thing doesn't come into play here.

It's been reported that Massillon decided to give up "official" home team status so Hoban will be the "home" team. I wonder if they will also use the home team locker and occupy the home team side of the field and stands.
Hoban won’t use the locker room they will use the indoor.

If the Stark County Board of Health issues a like kind order, you will see a similar response. It's not good business for an organization representing Ohio schools to ignore a health advisory such as this.

The argument over numbers and each health department/board doing their own thing doesn't come into play here.
Massillon City has its own health dept.