2020-21 NCAA Football General Chat

clarkgriswold

Thought I would start a thread for general college football talk to give us a spot to discuss things that occur outside of the team specific threads.

Nice to see the team that was beaten by Rutgers in the opener win at the Big House today. My only fear is that with each loss like that MU gets closer to getting rid of Harbaugh. I hope he gets a lifetime contract.

Biggest disappointment so far this season? Heisman House commercials. Well actually, I've only see the one with Mayfield that they repeat endlessly. It wasn't good once.

Not a fan that the Big 10 is letting Wisconsin decide not to play the Nebraska game. Violated no COVID policies and should be a forfeit. They made the responsible decision to not play, but basically decided unilaterally.

Biggest disappointment so far this season? Heisman House commercials. Well actually, I've only see the one with Mayfield that they repeat endlessly. It wasn't good once.

Baker's a little oversaturated. I like to see people accomplish things before I start seeing so much of them in ads.

Not a fan that the Big 10 is letting Wisconsin decide not to play the Nebraska game. Violated no COVID policies and should be a forfeit. They made the responsible decision to not play, but basically decided unilaterally.
How is it responsible not to play? College teams have 80-100 guys in uniform each week, just take out the 8-10 who test positive and play the dang games. College teams are 3-4 deep at every position. Big ten is a joke how they've handled this.

How is it responsible not to play? College teams have 80-100 guys in uniform each week, just take out the 8-10 who test positive and play the dang games. College teams are 3-4 deep at every position. Big ten is a joke how they've handled this.

It's responsible to not gather in a group of 80-100 when viral cases are spreading through your locker room. I didn't think that was hard to get.

It's responsible to not gather in a group of 80-100 when viral cases are spreading through your locker room. I didn't think that was hard to get.
It's been reported, way down in the fine print of course, that 80% of the positive cases are asymptomatic. These kids are not even getting sick and we're cancelling games??
I'm no longer concerned with positive tests. We started with the narrative 8 months ago with severe illness and deaths. Now we're only talking about positive test results?

It's been reported, way down in the fine print of course, that 80% of the positive cases are asymptomatic. These kids are not even getting sick and we're cancelling games??
I'm no longer concerned with positive tests. We started with the narrative 8 months ago with severe illness and deaths. Now we're only talking about positive test results?

Nobody cares what you're concerned about. You obviously have failed at this entire concept.

More cases = More deaths. Even at a low mortality rate. It's not just the players getting COVID, they spread it to others, who then spread it to others, and so on.

Nobody cares what you're concerned about. You obviously have failed at this entire concept.

More cases = More deaths. Even at a low mortality rate. It's not just the players getting COVID, they spread it to others, who then spread it to others, and so on.
So go hide in our houses and not come out until when? 2021? 2022? I've got some news for you, EVERYONE DIES!!! 7,500 Americans die daily! 2.8 million annually.

So go hide in our houses and not come out until when? 2021? 2022? I've got some news for you, EVERYONE DIES!!! 7,500 Americans die daily! 2.8 million annually.

Probably the most dense understanding of a pandemic I've had the displeasure of reading

It's the lingering heart issues they're concerned about. It was brought up after the one college football player died. And the freshman at Indiana, who had major struggles and probably won't ever play again.

I'm guessing people with a little more knowledge than you or I are making the decisions

Question: Do you guys think schools will have a longer leash with coaches this year based on uncertain financial times? When you look at what some departments are losing would it be great optics to pay huge buyouts and then presumably pay a new coach the same or more as the previous?

Question: Do you guys think schools will have a longer leash with coaches this year based on uncertain financial times? When you look at what some departments are losing would it be great optics to pay huge buyouts and then presumably pay a new coach the same or more as the previous?

Depends upon the school; where the boosters basically pay for the coach, no; where there isn't that support, yes and where the SJW's are supreme-outrage as usual.

Depends upon the school; where the boosters basically pay for the coach, no; where there isn't that support, yes and where the SJW's are supreme-outrage as usual.

As stated above boosters usually write the check for a buyout and many times these are savvy business guys that negotiate, usually on the down low, the amount down so the coach can get a new gig day 1.

My guess is certain programs that are at wits end will move on, places like South Carolina & UCLA will be looking for a new coach. Then you have formerly big time programs that want to return to glory have some serious discussion with Covid being the only thing that maybe keeps a guy for another year. The bigger issue heading into 2021 will be scholarship management. Many of the mid to lower tier players will want to come back and there will be a slew of new players coming in, how a coach manages this complex situation on a limited budget will be key for long term job security.

I understand buyouts come from booster funds but I'm still not sure the optics are good when you're making budget cuts across the entire campus. Remember, a lot of people just read headlines and don't understand/follow college coaching gigs. Will be interesting

Yes

Where is he in the scheme of things? Washington St and ND, he had to have something attracting those looks? Book is in the ND history books and will be remembered long after those who kept him on the bench. The Clemson game will be talked with the all-time. If he can be the reliable guy that leads them to play-offs, frosting.

Where is he in the scheme of things? Washington St and ND, he had to have something attracting those looks? Book is in the ND history books and will be remembered long after those who kept him on the bench. The Clemson game will be talked with the all-time. If he can be the reliable guy that leads them to play-offs, frosting.
The ND OC made the offer since he was recruiting him during his time at Boise St. Book has already lead them to the playoffs, but if he can win a playoff game, then he might move up in the unofficial QB rankings.

There are some awful defenses in the SEC. No way Trask and Mac put up those numbers in the B1G.

There has been some chatter by the Liberal NCAA columnist that since Cali is on more of a lock down then other locals in the NCAA football playoffs rota they may move this year's semifinal game slated for the Rose Bowl to a different city that will allow some fans into the stadium. In light of the rumors for the basketball tournament to be played exclusively in Indy next spring there is some chatter that the Rose Bowl semi will be moved to Indy and the Rose Bowl gets a semifinal next year so they can pair it up with the Tournament of Roses parade which is cancelled this year. This could especially come into play if either Notre Dame or Ohio State are one of the top 2 seeds and they bring some fans willing to brave the Covid and purchase some seriously expensive tickets to help pad the bank account of the NCAA. This is just talk at this time as the NCAA football juggernaut moves as nimble as an aircraft carrier but still something to keep an eye on.

The smart thing would be to scrap all other Bowl games and have the playoffs in a bubble. The fairest location would likely be Dallas since nobody from the B12 is going to be in the playoff. A&M has an outside shot, but I’d say the odds are slim

Not sure I'm following this Clemson-Florida St thing. Clemson took a sick player to the game then became upset Florida St canceled?