ST X or Lakota West?

I would not count out Lakota East against West or Colerain in a rematch. X is the favorite on the other side, but Moeller will give them more than they want and Elder/Princeton winner I would not count out either.

X beats LW if they meet though.

Didn't X play West in a scrimmage in late August? Who controlled or dominated it? I know that was 8 weeks ago but it differently would have shown some light as in how each team looked vs each other based on size, skill, and execution

LW took care of business this year, but the overall quality of the teams St X played was far superior. LW has not played any team that has the type of offense and in particular passing game that St X has. If they play I think X wins by 7-10 points

I hesitate to say who wins this hypothetical game (because SO MANY teams will have a say in whether this matchup even happens)— I’m not counting X’s Moeller or Elder (or Princeton) chickens yet...

But if it did, I don’t believe that West has the experience or the quality to win this projected matchup— West doesn’t face ANYONE that throws it like X does (NO TEAM in the state of OH probably does), and I doubt West has faced anyone with a run defense as sound as X’s... whereas X has faced several teams (Brownsburg, Cathedral, Elder) with as good or better offenses (both run AND pass) and defenses (Brownsburg, Cathedral) as West’s— and X was right there at the end in all those games (and I would take X in a rematch with any of them, if X’s starting QB is healthy— which he is likely to be for a West matchup)...

The bottom line for me: If West can’t throw effectively, then West would lose— probably soundly— to me, Bolden is earlier on in the development curve with West than where he was at Colerain—and I doubt that he has his West players ready (yet) for the intensity of a late-round playoff matchup— nor the passing attack that X will throw at them— which these players (unlike Colerain’s) have never seen before in their league (which— minus the playoff intensity— probably explains the lopsided results of the scrimmage between these two teams only a month+ ago).

I’m going with LW. They can control the clock and their defense is playing really well.
Controlling the clock is ALWAYS a good strategy— however, X has the ability to score REALLY fast (and OFTEN)— and I don’t think West’s defense has faced this kind of offense before (other than in the scrimmage against X a little over a month ago— and they performed poorly against it then)—so, the sample set for West’s defense playing really well may not be representative of the challenge It would face in this game.

It would be an interesting match-up if they both end up here. They did have a preseason scrimmage, with LW winning 28-17, and all of their points coming in the second half. I am not sure who had starters in or how long they were in, so tough telling. I believe X was up 17-0 when they pulled starters, and Clifford did not play at all in this.

Just from watching X this year, their offense is dynamic, and is going to be very difficult for most teams to stop. The offensive line rarely allows quick pressures on the QB, and they have 3 big play receivers that need covered, and their backs catch well. The run blocking can be inconsistent, though the past two games has been better, really dominating an overmatched WH d-line. They were also able to move the ball consistently on the ground against Lasalle, who was just undersized up front.

On defense, it is tough to run on them consistently, but can be done by more power backs that wear a defense down. Devine, their MLB, is one of the best in the city, and always seems to be around the ball. If he's allowed to roam at all, he can really be a pain. They are susceptible to the home run ball over the top, largely because of their defensive scheme that isolates corners, but if the ball is floated they have a knack for picking it.

The only time I have seen LW play was the Colerain game, so I am sure that team has improved like most Bolden teams do. They looked to be good at managing the game, especially on defense. I wasn't impressed with their offense, but Colerain has some players on defense, and again, it was game 1. I'd be interested to see how X's top two WR's matchup against Brown and Afari.

Reactions: 4GX
I give West a slight edge for a couple of reasons. One I think Cincinnati football is down a little this season. The perennial powers of the GCL have struggled with out of state teams with athletes, that can also play smash mouth football. I think West falls into this category, they have the edge athletically vs. X and should be able to run the ball. I was concerned at how Walnut Hills was able to pretty successfully run the "wildcat" with a sophomore DB against X. Also Bolden knows Specht, as well as anybody in Cincinnati, not named Ramsey, now he is going to battle with slightly better athletes than he had at Colerain. He has installed the same toughness he had with the Cards at LW and should come out on top. That being said any team coached by Specht is a threat to make a deep run and when you add in Clifford, it should be a good one.

I give West a slight edge for a couple of reasons. One I think Cincinnati football is down a little this season. The perennial powers of the GCL have struggled with out of state teams with athletes, that can also play smash mouth football. I think West falls into this category, they have the edge athletically vs. X and should be able to run the ball. I was concerned at how Walnut Hills was able to pretty successfully run the "wildcat" with a sophomore DB against X. Also Bolden knows Specht, as well as anybody in Cincinnati, not named Ramsey, now he is going to battle with slightly better athletes than he had at Colerain. He has installed the same toughness he had with the Cards at LW and should come out on top. That being said any team coached by Specht is a threat to make a deep run and when you add in Clifford, it should be a good one.
I think your characterization of Walnut Hills’ ability to “pretty successfully run the wildcat with a sophomore DB against X” is GENEROUS to say the least... I think they had one (maybe two?) successful plays with it (that gained a total of maybe 25 yards)— I only remember one (on the first series of downs, that maybe caught X by surprise)— Walnut scored one TD against the first string defense— on a long passplay (which has been X’s Achilles heel on defense ALL year)... not worried about the Wildcat as the likely downfall of THIS X defense (though Elder did kill X with it at a playoff game over a decade ago at Nippert);

LW has by far the best defense in the region but an awful offense. X is okay on defense but probably one of, if not the best offense in the region.

1st to 3 scores wins and I think X is much more capable of that than LW.

St X lost to Brownsburg (which is 7-1) in OT and to Indy Cathedral (8-0) by 3. The Brownsburg game was the first varsity start for the X QB. The best team LW faced was Colerain (4-2) which is not the same Colerain team of years past. Three of LW wins have come against Hamilton, Sycamore and Fairfield (collective 5-16 record) I think most people would agree the overall quality of competition St X faced was significantly better than LW competition.

St X has scored less than 30, only twice (24 and 25 points). St X has proven they can score points in bunches so if it turns into a shootout they definitely have the advantage.

In a close game St X may have the edge in the kicking game. St X's kicker is 7-9 on FG attempts with a long of 41 and 31-31 on extra points. The LW kicker is 1-1 on FG attempts for a long of 25.

St X lost to Brownsburg (which is 7-1) in OT and to Indy Cathedral (8-0) by 3. The Brownsburg game was the first varsity start for the X QB. The best team LW faced was Colerain (4-2) which is not the same Colerain team of years past. Three of LW wins have come against Hamilton, Sycamore and Fairfield (collective 5-16 record) I think most people would agree the overall quality of competition St X faced was significantly better than LW competition.

St X has scored less than 30, only twice (24 and 25 points). St X has proven they can score points in bunches so if it turns into a shootout they definitely have the advantage.

In a close game St X may have the edge in the kicking game. St X's kicker is 7-9 on FG attempts with a long of 41 and 31-31 on extra points. The LW kicker is 1-1 on FG attempts for a long of 25.
And they had that loss to Brownsburg in the bag, with first down near the 50 with a seven point lead and 2 minutes to play. I have zero idea what they were thinking dropping back a QB in his first start there. Run 3 times, punt and pin them back with 45 seconds to go or so, and take your chances. The first of more than a few questionable play calls.

X will be fine against the run, teams will have to pass to beat them. That is where Elder had success with their really tall receiver, Moeller had success, especially with Kattus (kid is a beast), Ignatius and WH on long passes, and Cathedral and Brownsburg, who both have outstanding WR corps. Specht schemes against the run better than just about anyone, especially against more non-traditional styles, like the Wildcat, triple option, etc.

Does anyone in the GMC have a real air attack? It seems like all of the defenses in the playoff previews didn't allow much through the air, but it also seems like no one really puts the ball in the air that much.

I think your characterization of Walnut Hills’ ability to “pretty successfully run the wildcat with a sophomore DB against X” is GENEROUS to say the least... I think they had one (maybe two?) successful plays with it (that gained a total of maybe 25 yards)— I only remember one (on the first series of downs, that maybe caught X by surprise)— Walnut scored one TD against the first string defense— on a long passplay (which has been X’s Achilles heel on defense ALL year)... not worried about the Wildcat as the likely downfall of THIS X defense (though Elder did kill X with it at a playoff game over a decade ago at Nippert);
Walnut's 1st TD was a wildcat run by #15 Isiah Birl who splits time as a RB and Safety. That was the only TD scored against the 1st string and the wildcat was pretty much shut down from there. #15 did score a garbage time TD against the back ups on the same wildcat play. There definitely wasnt a lot of success from the wildcat other than those 2 big plays.

Well I guess Princeton shouldn’t show up Friday night then
I personally think Elder will have their hands full with Princeton, but if they try to go score for score I give the edge to Elder. I don't think The Elder Receiver Neiman played against fairfield and he is a difference maker.

And they had that loss to Brownsburg in the bag, with first down near the 50 with a seven point lead and 2 minutes to play. I have zero idea what they were thinking dropping back a QB in his first start there. Run 3 times, punt and pin them back with 45 seconds to go or so, and take your chances. The first of more than a few questionable play calls.

X will be fine against the run, teams will have to pass to beat them. That is where Elder had success with their really tall receiver, Moeller had success, especially with Kattus (kid is a beast), Ignatius and WH on long passes, and Cathedral and Brownsburg, who both have outstanding WR corps. Specht schemes against the run better than just about anyone, especially against more non-traditional styles, like the Wildcat, triple option, etc.

Does anyone in the GMC have a real air attack? It seems like all of the defenses in the playoff previews didn't allow much through the air, but it also seems like no one really puts the ball in the air that much.
. Princeton will throw it a few times a game

Walnut's 1st TD was a wildcat run by #15 Isiah Birl who splits time as a RB and Safety. That was the only TD scored against the 1st string and the wildcat was pretty much shut down from there. #15 did score a garbage time TD against the back ups on the same wildcat play. There definitely wasnt a lot of success from the wildcat other than those 2 big plays.
Yep— I got the scoring play mixed up with the first (pass) play, which also went for a decent (15-yard) gain... you have it right.

If StX QB1 is healthy StX could roll. In their scrimmage earlier this season when it was starters vs starters StX looked like the much better team. StX has had a lot of injuries this season and they are starting to get healthy including TE#1 who might be playing next week.

I’m going with LW. They can control the clock and their defense is playing really well.
Apparently, Elder had the ball ~50% more time today than X (28 minutes for Elder; 19 minutes for X)— and lost by 28; I don’t think “controlling the clock“ is really a viable strategy against X this year— they score so quickly. Now, if they control the clock AND stop X’s offense, then maybe LW has a good chance in this game... I tend to think it won’t go that way— I’d pick X by two scores... I’ve not seen any Ohio teams throw it around the way X does, recently (maybe Mentor in one of their best years?)...