Week 3: St. X

The Elder D has a ton of work to do. Hopefully can beat Moe and get a lot better before they play Cathedral. Any updates on a Replacement Opponent for the Virginia team game being cancelled?
This is where limited practice in the offseason hurts. Tackling is always an issue early, for almost everyone, but these issues get exacerbated when you can’t work on them.

I’m not surprised Elder is 1-2.TBH, I’m surprised they played as competitively as they did in both losses. You just have to wonder if there’s anyway they can actually fix these issues on Defense or if they’re going to an albatross all yr.

I think that was a bad call, but Elder really let down after that. You can't let one bad call beat you. All in all, this was a pretty good game for Elder despite the 4th quarter. I'd rather win in the playoffs than win in September.
Again, is there any part of you that believed the Elder D would come up with a stop that 4th qtr? My feeling was the only way they win is scoring late & going for 2.

Sorry to hear that, but my guess is that it was probably an issue with your Internet connection. And it’s correctable. My assumption is that your video stream “paused” or buffered which causes your stream to fall behind. In the stream player, you can click the word “Live” and it will jump you back to the live point of the game.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

I had the 5 second audio delay issue last week. Tried everything I could think of to get it to synch. Did not work. Others had the same issue. Also there were no graphics used during the broadcast showing down/yards to go/time etc.

So I did not watch the broadcast live via the video. But I followed it live via the play by play game stats. Hopefully they will improve their broadcast in the near future. If so I would watch again.

offensive pass interference call was big. couldn't really see what they thought they saw from the replay.

Watch the replay on the St. X boxcast link. The play before there is a lot of contact on Nieman, and he looks to be complaining to the ref. I wonder if the ref didn't like that and decided to turn it around and throw the flag on him instead the next play.

I think Moeller is better, but they are definitely still not back yet. They got blown out bad by a very, very good Trinity team. 37-0 at halftime. Elder should rebound and beat Moe I'm thinking by 3-4 touchdowns.

Think Moeller better than last yr but they have really struggled to score as of late. Guess we shall see. No Thomas next week either I’m told, that accurate?

Sorry to hear that, but my guess is that it was probably an issue with your Internet connection. And it’s correctable. My assumption is that your video stream “paused” or buffered which causes your stream to fall behind. In the stream player, you can click the word “Live” and it will jump you back to the live point of the game.

Yes, I had the issue in the first week and the fix you described worked. It was the crappy computer I used the first week. I really don’t expect perfection for $10, so far I think the broadcasts have been worth the $10, even last week with the 5 second delay between the video and audio.

Again, is there any part of you that believed the Elder D would come up with a stop that 4th qtr? My feeling was the only way they win is scoring late & going for 2.

Not really, but they almost had a stop on 3rd and 5 but went offsides. That might have been 2 down territory for X, but that was a big mistake on Elder's part.

Sour grapes, Dude— the X students did a great job— and were very unbiased— they even called out a potential penalty that could have been called on the X center, on that key encroachment penalty on Elder, on the last X TD drive...

I watched some of the X broadcast. Unbiased is a stretch, but they are high school kids give them a break. We should apologize for the constant yelling at the refs by Elder fans that you can hear on the X broadcast. They need to relax and just cheer on the team. Not constantly yell at the refs.

Missed PI on Ramey in the third Q was huge too. That would have been a TD. Refs aren’t why we lost but missed calls that would have been scores are huge.

I watched some of the X broadcast. Unbiased is a stretch, but they are high school kids give them a break. We should apologize for the constant yelling at the refs by Elder fans that you can hear on the X broadcast. They need to relax and just cheer on the team. Not constantly yell at the refs.

Wow, must of been yelling pretty loud at the Refs to hear on the broadcast and while wearing a mask. Sat on X side (kind of). Other than 1 guy who yelled Holding every time Elder ran the ball, was pretty quiet honestly.

We should apologize for the constant yelling at the refs by Elder fans that you can hear on the X broadcast. They need to relax and just cheer on the team. Not constantly yell at the refs.
If there was a crowd mic on the St. X sideline you’d have heard the same types of things. Fans at high school football games are constantly yelling at the officials. It’s universal for all schools.

Ramsey did nothing in Wildcat formation. Not sure why Elder kept going to that. It was obvious Hambleton was on target with his receivers and Elder should of never gone away from that. Elder's special teams killed them tonight. They tried to get too cute in the punting game and were not ready for the short kickoff at the end. Elder also switched their defensive coverages a lot in the first half mixed with a lot of blitzes and they stopped doing that midway in the 3rd quarter. I got a feeling these two teams will be playing again this season

Ramsey did nothing in Wildcat formation. Not sure why Elder kept going to that. It was obvious Hambleton was on target with his receivers and Elder should of never gone away from that. Elder's special teams killed them tonight. They tried to get too cute in the punting game and were not ready for the short kickoff at the end. Elder also switched their defensive coverages a lot in the first half mixed with a lot of blitzes and they stopped doing that midway in the 3rd quarter. I got a feeling these two teams will be playing again this season

I LOATHE the rugby Punt. IMO, once a Punter makes any kind of move out of his traditional stance, he’s fair game to hit no matter if he gets off the Punt or not. It’s unfair to expect Defenders to lay off on someone who is essentially a ball carrier.

There were 2 bad snaps, but Hambleton was somehow able to salvage a good punt on one of them. The last one was a killer though that gave X a short field.

If there was a crowd mic on the St. X sideline you’d have heard the same types of things. Fans at high school football games are constantly yelling at the officials. It’s universal for all schools.

I think you're right. OHSAA has tried to make a point about sportsmanship, because of a lack of refs wanting to do this. Fans should try to leave the yelling to the coaches.

Not fixed!! I paid $10 and the video was on about a 5 minute delay or more. With 3 minutes left in the game it went off. I noticed on Facebook people were reporting the game in the 4th quarter at 24-24 and I was watching it with 3:41 left in the 3rd qt and the score was 17-17. Will not pay for the broadcast again. I watched the first game of the year and it was ok. Just a heads up.
I hope my first reply didn’t come off as too harsh. I understand how frustrating it is to pay for something and it not be a great experience.

Elder’s video streaming for football began on November 1, 2013 for the playoff game against Anderson. To put it in perspective it’s a similar number of years from the late 1940s when local TV stations first went on the air to February 1964 when The Beatles were on The Ed Sullivan Show. Streaming video is still in its infancy compared to broadcast and cable TV. The issue you described can happen with any live stream unfortunately. One factor could be that tonight’s game was streamed in 1080p HD instead of the 720p resolution used the first two weeks. Ideally the player software should have automatically adjusted if a viewer’s computer or connection wasn’t able to keep up by going to 720 or 480 or 240.

I think things have come a very long was since that first game when it was one guy with a camera in the Tower and no audio at all. Now the broadcasts have multiple cameras including a wireless camera on the field and instant replay. I also think things will get better with streaming video in general too.

I feel like Elder is staying pretty vanilla with their offensive play calling so far this year, probably because the playoffs aren’t riding on regular season wins. Don’t get me wrong, they wanted to win these GCL games but they are not putting everything they have on tape for playoff opponents. With the GCL title off the table now I expect things to stay vanilla the rest of the year. I know they have more to show out of their wildcat package than we saw tonight.

We should apologize for the constant yelling at the refs by Elder fans that you can hear on the X broadcast. They need to relax and just cheer on the team. Not constantly yell at the refs.
This is nothing new, it has been going for as long as I have been going to HS football (and basketball) games. It’s easier to pick up this year because there are so few fans in the stands.

I feel like Elder is staying pretty vanilla with their offensive play calling so far this year, probably because the playoffs aren’t riding on regular season wins. Don’t get me wrong, they wanted to win these GCL games but they are not putting everything they have on tape for playoff opponents. With the GCL title off the table now I expect things to stay vanilla the rest of the year. I know they have more to show out of their wildcat package than we saw tonight.
They did a lot new stuff week 1. They lined up in unbalanced lines, did a lot of shifting, ran some newer gadget plays.

I don’t think they’re keeping anything under wraps, I think they just don’t have as much time to add a lot to their installs every week. Better to have 15-20 base plays that you can execute vs 30-40 with partial execution.

Who would have thought Clifford would only have 2 catches in this game but Elder still loses. X did a good job utilizing their other offensive weapons. Vransky was a killer on a few plays. Elder is going to have to figure out how to stop the run better in the rematch. Having Thomas back should help on coverage and coming up to clean up tackles.

Who would have thought Clifford would only have 2 catches in this game but Elder still loses. X did a good job utilizing their other offensive weapons. Vransky was a killer on a few plays. Elder is going to have to figure out how to stop the run better in the rematch. Having Thomas back should help on coverage and coming up to clean up tackles.
Unless the Defense makes some pretty material strides, the rematch won’t be nearly as competitive. X is the better team simply bc they have a decent Defense.

I know it’s a tough decision, but I think they need to transition Larkins to play the bulk of his snaps at DE. The OL gave up 1 real sack tonight while the other 2 were on Hambleton for not throwing the ball away. Larkins is still mostly a blocker and with the proven performance of the OL, he adds more value at DE. This let’s Mitchell shift to OLB which is a more natural position.

Another possibility is bring up the Soph DE Hulen. He’ll certainly be a solid player in the next 2 yrs, but I’m not sure he has the size this yr to be an effective pass rusher on varsity.

Tucker moving back to NT would be a big boost, but I believe he’s starting at LT (could be wrong, hard to tell watching live). If that’s the case, I’m not sure you can move around the guy in charge of protecting Hambleton’s Blind side.

As has been pointed out to me in the past, this isn’t Fantasy Football. It’s a lot easier to theorize how to shift personnel around when it’s on paper, so I wanted to focus on guys who have already played these positions. Probably too late in the year for anyone to learn a new position from scratch.

I hope my first reply didn’t come off as too harsh. I understand how frustrating it is to pay for something and it not be a great experience.

Elder’s video streaming for football began on November 1, 2013 for the playoff game against Anderson. To put it in perspective it’s a similar number of years from the late 1940s when local TV stations first went on the air to February 1964 when The Beatles were on The Ed Sullivan Show. Streaming video is still in its infancy compared to broadcast and cable TV. The issue you described can happen with any live stream unfortunately. One factor could be that tonight’s game was streamed in 1080p HD instead of the 720p resolution used the first two weeks. Ideally the player software should have automatically adjusted if a viewer’s computer or connection wasn’t able to keep up by going to 720 or 480 or 240.

I think things have come a very long was since that first game when it was one guy with a camera in the Tower and no audio at all. Now the broadcasts have multiple cameras including a wireless camera on the field and instant replay. I also think things will get better with streaming video in general too.
I totally understand how long of a way it has come, but IMHO if they are going to have issues like this then they should not be charging $10 at game. It should be much less IMHO. I know I sound like sour grapes but it has been FREE in the past. I guess now that they can't sell seats they need to charge for video. I consider it my donation to Elder but I will not pay again to watch the video that is 5 minutes behind the game. Just my 2 cents. I know most on here will say it's no big deal but it is to a retired guy on fixed income (lol). I will listen on the radio in future.

The issue last week was the audio & game play didn’t sync. If the broadcast overall is behind a few minutes vs regular time, that’s nbd IMO.
5/6 minutes behind? I mean I was getting facebook updates of the score and it was in the 4th qtr when the broadcast still had 3/4 min left in the 3rd qtr. Sorry, not acceptable if your charging $10 to watch it.

Thanks, just saw this, maybe because i am an old guy who is tech challenged I didn't do the things I needed to do to get back to the "Live" stream.

So how was Devonta Smith able to play last night vs Lakota East?
Getting tossed for fighting is 2 games, getting ejected for 2 unsportsmanlike penalties is 1 game, I guess. I understand the purpose of the rule, but you’ve got a kid who just missed 2.5 games for a shove to the facemask. There’s no way the intention of the rule was to punish players for minor stuff like that.

They did a lot new stuff week 1. They lined up in unbalanced lines, did a lot of shifting, ran some newer gadget plays.

I don’t think they’re keeping anything under wraps, I think they just don’t have as much time to add a lot to their installs every week. Better to have 15-20 base plays that you can execute vs 30-40 with partial execution.
Well I certainly hope they have more to do out of the “wildcat” or whatever that was with Ramsey at QB last night because that was pretty pathetic. Ramsey is too good an athlete for that to be the best they can do out of that package.

Unless the Defense makes some pretty material strides, the rematch won’t be nearly as competitive. X is the better team simply bc they have a decent Defense.

I know it’s a tough decision, but I think they need to transition Larkins to play the bulk of his snaps at DE. The OL gave up 1 real sack tonight while the other 2 were on Hambleton for not throwing the ball away. Larkins is still mostly a blocker and with the proven performance of the OL, he adds more value at DE. This let’s Mitchell shift to OLB which is a more natural position.

Another possibility is bring up the Soph DE Hulen. He’ll certainly be a solid player in the next 2 yrs, but I’m not sure he has the size this yr to be an effective pass rusher on varsity.

Tucker moving back to NT would be a big boost, but I believe he’s starting at LT (could be wrong, hard to tell watching live). If that’s the case, I’m not sure you can move around the guy in charge of protecting Hambleton’s Blind side.

As has been pointed out to me in the past, this isn’t Fantasy Football. It’s a lot easier to theorize how to shift personnel around when it’s on paper, so I wanted to focus on guys who have already played these positions. Probably too late in the year for anyone to learn a new position from scratch.

I would move Larkins to D end as well. He's maybe the third option right now as far a receivers go behind Nieman, and Ramsey and I think the Oline has been the surprise of the team so far. They have done great for having 4 new guys in this yr.

JT Miller did a great job on Clifford last night. The Dline and LB's have been underwhelming this year so far. Guys like Kammerer and Georges are making too many tackles as db's.

I think this team can play with anyone in the region on a good night. The offense can and will score.....The D needs to tighten up... too many missed tackles.