Elder Football 2020

I’m seeing more and more articles on the unlikelihood of close contact fall sports.

That would be depressing. Could we really see a year delay for sports like football, basketball and wrestling that have contact on every play? That would be brutal.

I’m seeing more and more articles on the unlikelihood of close contact fall sports.

That would be depressing. Could we really see a year delay for sports like football, basketball and wrestling that have contact on every play? That would be brutal.
It’s impossible to know right now. The NFL is expected to start on time, but they don’t need schools to be open in order to play.

The situation has to be examined in June/July when more data is available. We’re fortunate that DeWine is pretty level headed and not an ego maniac like some of the officials out in CA who think cancelling all sporting events 5 months ahead of time gives them some political cred.

Anything is possible these days! I think the OHSAA will be All or Nothing though when it comes to Sports and those decisions will be made on a “high school sports seasonal” basis.

Just spitballin' here, but here's a thought that a friend sent to me this morning. We all know that most of the OHSAA's revenue comes from football. As of now, fall sports look to be a bit iffy, especially if there won't be a vaccine until next year. Definitely iffy if Ohio loosens things up and there is a second wave of infections and hospitalizations in the summer. What would give the OHSAA the best chance of having a football season next school year?
Have a backup plan to move the season to the spring! Yes, it would be a scheduling nightmare, and yes, coaches would have a lot less time to prepare, but everybody would be in the same boat. You couldn't schedule anyone out of state, which would be a problem for Elder, X, etc. Maybe play nine games and expand the playoffs by a round. If time is tight, play eight games and expand the playoffs by one round. It could put kids who play football and play baseball or run track in a bind, but maybe their coaches could work something out.
It wouldn't be ideal, but if it saves football for next school year, why not?

Just spitballin' here, but here's a thought that a friend sent to me this morning. We all know that most of the OHSAA's revenue comes from football. As of now, fall sports look to be a bit iffy, especially if there won't be a vaccine until next year. Definitely iffy if Ohio loosens things up and there is a second wave of infections and hospitalizations in the summer. What would give the OHSAA the best chance of having a football season next school year?
Have a backup plan to move the season to the spring! Yes, it would be a scheduling nightmare, and yes, coaches would have a lot less time to prepare, but everybody would be in the same boat. You couldn't schedule anyone out of state, which would be a problem for Elder, X, etc. Maybe play nine games and expand the playoffs by a round. If time is tight, play eight games and expand the playoffs by one round. It could put kids who play football and play baseball or run track in a bind, but maybe their coaches could work something out.
It wouldn't be ideal, but if it saves football for next school year, why not?

This idea has been brought up on another thread. Pretty good idea, except it could make Scheduling tough for Football and a nightmare for the Leagues to find enough Officials for All Spring Sports +Football. This idea also could make fielding a Football,Baseball,Track and Boys Volleyball Team for all the small Schools extremely difficult from just a numbers standpoint. Football in the Spring would also need another plan/policy for games Delayed or Cancelled due to Weather. Schedule only 8 Games and 2 of the Games are cancelled before halftime and are not made up, what happens?

Please just give us some football. 3 months to get this thing under control. With things starting to open up, hopefully it goes well.

I think there will be tremendous pressure to get things moving, especially from the college and pro leagues. some schools are dependent on football revenue

Please just give us some football. 3 months to get this thing under control. With things starting to open up, hopefully it goes well.

I think there will be tremendous pressure to get things moving, especially from the college and pro leagues. some schools are dependent on football revenue
Most colleges are dependent on football and men’s basketball to fund the rest of their athletic program. We already saw the tip of the iceberg with UC cutting Men’s Soccer. Imagine a school like Alabama trying to budget for the rest of their sports with no $ from football. It would be impossible

OHSAA Commissioner did an interview with Mike Dyer discussing High School Sports in Ohio as of late and talked some about Fall Sports. It’s on wcpo.com if your interested. Nothing real important was said but you can hear straight from the horses mouth. One of the topics was how will Fall eligibility work should there be Fall Sports. I thought he said some interesting things during that segment.

Article in the Enquirer today about schools changing divisions. Elder stays in Division 1.

"Elder’s enrollment of 570 boys put the Panthers into range for moving down into Division II, but the OHSAA kept Elder in Division I under the competitive balance process. "

Elder 570 enrollment would put them third in D-II, behind Toledo Bowsher's 588 and Cleveland James Ford Rhodes' 578. Bowsher has +6 for competitive balance for 594, while Rhodes has +8 for 586.
Elder has +47 for 617, which places the Panthers third smallest, just ahead of New Albany (608+0) and Findlay (600+4).

What was their enrollment number and CB score last year? 570 seems really low. I thought they had close to 700 in the school?

edit - never mind just saw the link

I think this says a lot about what the football coaches get out of the kids with enrollment numbers so low. And a credit to the kids.

But man, competing against some of those enrollment and CB numbers is an uphill climb every year. Its impressive the position they are put in for success most years.

Last edited:
Article in the Enquirer today about schools changing divisions. Elder stays in Division 1.

"Elder’s enrollment of 570 boys put the Panthers into range for moving down into Division II, but the OHSAA kept Elder in Division I under the competitive balance process. "

Two things to remember: 570 is the amount in grades 10-12, and this Sr class to be is abnormally small. If Elder didn’t drop this yr, they should be good moving forward.

Two things to remember: 570 is the amount in grades 10-12, and this Sr class to be is abnormally small. If Elder didn’t drop this yr, they should be good moving forward.

Right. If there was ever a season for Elder to slip into D2, this was going to be it. Thankfully, those competitive balance numbers propped Elder up to stay in D1. This is definitely a reminder of how hard Elder has to work to keep the numbers up. It seems they have been making increased efforts. The admissions director is invaluable for the future of the school.

Let's remember that football is the only sport at Elder that is really threatened to dip to D2. All other sports are safely in the D1 category. This is because there are 7 divisions in football.

Right. If there was ever a season for Elder to slip into D2, this was going to be it. Thankfully, those competitive balance numbers propped Elder up to stay in D1. This is definitely a reminder of how hard Elder has to work to keep the numbers up. It seems they have been making increased efforts. The admissions director is invaluable for the future of the school.

Let's remember that football is the only sport at Elder that is really threatened to dip to D2. All other sports are safely in the D1 category. This is because there are 7 divisions in football.
But let’s also not fool ourselves, Football is the alpha sport. Of all the sports, that’s the last one Elder would want to drop out of D1.

The Admissions Directors job just became a lot harder with this online and no extracurricular stuff. I hope where possible they have given the Admissions Director some help for next yr and possibly going forward! All Private Schools Recruiting New students for Online Learning and No Extracurriculars will be a tall task. Anyways, let’s hope the kids get some end of summer athletics and Football for sure!

The Admissions Directors job just became a lot harder with this online and no extracurricular stuff. I hope where possible they have given the Admissions Director some help for next yr and possibly going forward! All Private Schools Recruiting New students for Online Learning and No Extracurriculars will be a tall task. Anyways, let’s hope the kids get some end of summer athletics and Football for sure!

Most families are still going to go to Elder knowing this is temporary, but I am sure there might be 5-10% of families who are now on the fence for a variety of reasons affected by the coronavirus. That's roughly 10-20 students. All speculation on my part. Let's hope if their financial situation has changed due to a job loss or temporary loss of income that Elder would help them out in some way to still make Elder affordable for them. If someone drops out of Elder just because fall/winter sports are an uncertainty there is nothing Elder can do about that. I think that number would be very small.

Most families are still going to go to Elder knowing this is temporary, but I am sure there might be 5-10% of families who are now on the fence for a variety of reasons affected by the coronavirus. That's roughly 10-20 students. All speculation on my part. Let's hope if their financial situation has changed due to a job loss or temporary loss of income that Elder would help them out in some way to still make Elder affordable for them. If someone drops out of Elder just because fall/winter sports are an uncertainty there is nothing Elder can do about that. I think that number would be very small.
I honestly don’t think it will even be that high. I think a lot of parents have come to see that all of these classes online is not an efficient way for teenagers to learn.

Online degrees might work for adults bc they’re more disciplined and organized. Those are just skills you develop as you mature. I imagine those of you with HS age kids notice that the effort and focus isn’t that strong. It’s very easy to get behind and allow assignments to stack up when there’s no direct interaction with a teacher.

I’ll add one quick note, I do think allowing Jrs and Srs to take 1-2 elective classes online will help provide more flexibility to kids who need it.

Some guesses on the depth chart

Q - TBD - Hableton (11), Miller (12)
Ath - Ramsey (11)
RB - Johnson (12)
FB - Schlachter (12)
LT - Beckenhaupt (12)
LG - Tucker (12)
C - James (10)
RG - TBD
RT - TBD - Folzenlogan? (12)
TE - Larkins (12)
WR - Nieman (12)
WR - TBD - Neville (12), Harp (11)
WR - Sabato (12)
? Neville, Kirch

DE - Willenborg (12)
DT - Mitchell (12)
DE - TBD - Folzenlogan? (12)
LB - Stemler (12)
LB - Wandstrat (12)
LB - Weber (12)
LB - Ott (12)
DB - TBD - Miller? (12)
DB - Thomas (11)
DB - Paff (11)
DB - Keller? (11)

Questions camp will answer:
QB: Miller is more than capable but Hambelton / Ramsey two headed monster would not surprise moving Miller to D
Ath: How will Ramsey be used? Same as last year or QB
O Line: Beckenhaupt and?
WR: Last year Vollmer really jumped to the forefront. Who from that group can do that?
TE: How will Larkins be used? Like Royer, like last year or some new mix?
D Line: Who steps in if Tucker and or Folzenlogan move to offense
DB: Depends on QB oddly enough

Can anyone color in some TBDs and upcoming JV guys?

I wouldn't rule out Ramsey as the full time QB with Miller in the slot position. I think Hambleton is the best option, but Ramsey has a certain style QB and his son fits that role despite Hambleton having the best arm. I would flip flop Paff and Wandstradt. Keep Tucker at NG and move Mitchell at DE or LB.

Could this be the year we finally see a freshman step into Varsity? Offensive/defensive line depth is a big question.

Will be really really hard for any Freshman to step into Varsity this yr without full pre season/summer workouts. Really sucks that Elder has brand new weight room that nobody can currently use!

Will be really really hard for any Freshman to step into Varsity this yr without full pre season/summer workouts. Really sucks that Elder has brand new weight room that nobody can currently use!

Good point. It shouldn't be long though. They might be able to get full weight room workouts in towards the end of May or June.

I don't see Elder or many other GCL schools allowing freshman to play on varsity any time soon. The speed and strength alone will put someone in jeopardy of getting injured size with standing.

I don't see Elder or many other GCL schools allowing freshman to play on varsity any time soon. The speed and strength alone will put someone in jeopardy of getting injured size with standing.
LaSalle had a QB a few years ago start as a Freshman.

Elder has a freshman kicker come in toward the end of the year. I remember the kid kicked a game winning field goal late in the game. It doesn't happen often, but I have seen it happen within the last 10 years.

I wouldn't rule out Ramsey as the full time QB with Miller in the slot position. I think Hambleton is the best option, but Ramsey has a certain style QB and his son fits that role despite Hambleton having the best arm. I would flip flop Paff and Wandstradt. Keep Tucker at NG and move Mitchell at DE or LB.

Could this be the year we finally see a freshman step into Varsity? Offensive/defensive line depth is a big question.

IMHO Ramsey is the best option at QB and it's really not even close. I think he will be better than Peyton if given the opportunity.

IMHO Ramsey is the best option at QB and it's really not even close. I think he will be better than Peyton if given the opportunity.

This isnt the opinion shared by many that have watched closely. He is a dynamic athlete but his throwing ability as of last any of us have seen isnt on par with Hambleton or Miller. It's going to be interesting. Most think they should give it to Hambleton and move Miller to defense. Some think it's Miller's time. Both of those cases leave Ramsey at Athlete.

Drew might be able to put up better running numbers than Peyton but Peyton is the better passer. Not sure if it's because Drew is a lefty, but I think Peyton was more of a natural QB. Drew's path to college is at WR I think. Like you said, Drew could certainly put up great numbers and fits Ramsey's offense which is why I think it's a 3 way QB competition at this point. Doug is really fortunate to have some good options, and competition makes them all better. He will figure it out. The offense is going to be really fun to watch again this year.

Drew might be able to put up better running numbers than Peyton but Peyton is the better passer. Not sure if it's because Drew is a lefty, but I think Peyton was more of a natural QB. Drew's path to college is at WR I think. Like you said, Drew could certainly put up great numbers and fits Ramsey's offense which is why I think it's a 3 way QB competition at this point. Doug is really fortunate to have some good options, and competition makes them all better. He will figure it out. The offense is going to be really fun to watch again this year.
IMO, Hambleton has the highest ceiling of any of the 3 options at QB. From what I can tell, which is a very limited sample size, he’s got a stronger arm and more accurate touch throwing the ball. However, his athleticism gets undersold. He played behind a makeshift OL last yr on JV and a lot of plays he was under intense pressure, but still managed to get the ball out quickly.

I think Hambleton would start to draw D1 interest if colleges had their Summer Camps this yr.

IMO, Hambleton has the highest ceiling of any of the 3 options at QB. From what I can tell, which is a very limited sample size, he’s got a stronger arm and more accurate touch throwing the ball. However, his athleticism gets undersold. He played behind a makeshift OL last yr on JV and a lot of plays he was under intense pressure, but still managed to get the ball out quickly.

I think Hambleton would start to draw D1 interest if colleges had their Summer Camps this yr.

I agree with that. Hambleton, Miller, Ramsey all great athletes. They need to get them all involved in the offense.