Enrollment Numbers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I agree, but define "have to continue to work hard". That assumes they are working on things. Can anyone tell me what they're working hard on in this regard?

They apologized and did some community service (which I don't understand how community service does anything in this regard).

Is "working hard" simply having conversations with minorities and telling them that they are working on getting better, or are they actually doing things to get better? And if they are, what are they?

They may be sending students to some diversity trainings (reactive), but what are they doing to pro-actively tell minorities we want you here (camp invitations, minority staff and coaches, diversity chair, etc, etc)?

This is where it all falls apart for me. Tangible actions shows me proof. I've heard talk long enough.
Maybe you’d have better luck directing those questions to school admin versus yappi. It’s kind of funny you are demanding answers on yappi. Go to a board meeting or bring up your concerns to school admin.

Once again, we've been through this already. I have. I'm tired of the "we're working on it" mantra, and then year after year, the enrollment declines. Besides the slight blip up last year (the 100th class), they have consistently declined for over a decade.

I've only reached this point of complaining because of consistent lack of action. And others should be following suit, because there's no reason to believe we won't continue to see 10% enrollment reductions every 5 years. It's happening right before our eyes, and no one will accept it. Your high school is dying a slow death, if any of you fantastic alumni care.

I don't care whose ideas they take and run with. Just do SOMETHING

If the goal is continue to decline and re-start in D2, that's fine too. Just say it so expectations can be set.

Last edited:
I asked earlier in the thread before things went off track, but is it possible Elder can offer a few online courses or classes in the Summer to increase the scheduling flexibility of students?

I asked earlier in the thread before things went off track, but is it possible Elder can offer a few online courses or classes in the Summer to increase the scheduling flexibility of students?
I think students in the Honors Program take some summer classes to allow them more scheduling flexibility during the school year.

I think students in the Honors Program take some summer classes to allow them more scheduling flexibility during the school year.

I believe that’s correct. Is there any stipulation that prevents them from offering a few elective classes in the Summer to all students?

Saw yesterday that Archdiocese is looking into a complaint from when Drew was a Teacher at Elder. Though a long time ago, it’s not the kind of attention any school needs especially one that needs to increase enrollment.

Saw yesterday that Archdiocese is looking into a complaint from when Drew was a Teacher at Elder. Though a long time ago, it’s not the kind of attention any school needs especially one that needs to increase enrollment.
I think it depends on what exactly the complaint was and when it happened during his Elder tenure. Knowing what we know now about this guy, I bet there’s a lot of similar complaints about “weird” behavior at his other stops.

I think it depends on what exactly the complaint was and when it happened during his Elder tenure. Knowing what we know now about this guy, I bet there’s a lot of similar complaints about “weird” behavior at his other stops.

Was about this guys “grooming” behavior. Supposedly Elder is fighting an uphill battle with neighborhood perception and whether it’s safe or not. The last thing they need is the perception that the actual Campus is not safe from creepy pervs.

I think the St. X basketball game incident was a big blow to Elder not just from minorities, but from anyone with no real connection to the school. That group of students set Elder back 5-10 years, and they have to continue to work hard to erase that negative perception people have of Elder.
I don't disagree. But I believe where the bigger problem is regarding that particular incident is why didn't someone from the staff whether facility, administration or any adult in authority stop it within sixty seconds of it starting. Teenagers have an infinite capacity of acting like stupid kids. We all know that. The bigger question is who is running the show. Inaction by Elder at the very instant that bs started did far more damage imo.

Was about this guys “grooming” behavior. Supposedly Elder is fighting an uphill battle with neighborhood perception and whether it’s safe or not. The last thing they need is the perception that the actual Campus is not safe from creepy pervs.
I’m not trying to downplay this, but this happened at X last yr and barely made the news. TBH, I think most ppl have made up their mind one way or the other before this.

I don't disagree. But I believe where the bigger problem is regarding that particular incident is why didn't someone from the staff whether facility, administration or any adult in authority stop it within sixty seconds of it starting. Teenagers have an infinite capacity of acting like stupid kids. We all know that. The bigger question is who is running the show. Inaction by Elder at the very instant that bs started did far more damage imo.

And what they've done since to pro-actively prove they are inclusive to minorities.

The racial chants definitely hurt a ton! Were any Elder employees who let the chants go on way longer then they should ever disciplined? If no consequences for allowing that type of behavior, I can see that really turning off perspective students parents.

We ALL want more minority's at Elder. Elder wants more minority's at Elder.

The fact remains, Elder gets the overwhelming majority of its students from its traditional feeder schools. If the minority's are not enrolled in a traditional feeder school, it's going to be hard to get them to attend Elder just like it's hard to get any public school kid to attend Elder. The feeder schools do not have an abundance of minority students and those who could do well at Elder from around the neighborhoods, have the free option of Walnut Hills so it's even harder.

Yes, Elder can and must do better. They must do better at attracting ALL non-traditional students to the school. I've listed things I'd like to see them do over and over.

Some point to X, LaSalle, and Moe as examples but the reality is MOE and LaSalle are really only going after minority students who are good at sports. These are the students they are giving the $$$$ too. Is that what Elder should be about? I dont know. Maybe.

The fact remains, Elder gets the overwhelming majority of its students from its traditional feeder schools. If the minority's are not enrolled in a traditional feeder school, it's going to be hard to get them to attend Elder just like it's hard to get any public school kid to attend Elder. The feeder schools do not have an abundance of minority students and those who could do well at Elder from around the neighborhoods, have the free option of Walnut Hills so it's even harder.

Yes, Elder can and must do better. They must do better at attracting ALL non-traditional students to the school. I've listed things I'd like to see them do over and over.

Some point to X, LaSalle, and Moe as examples but the reality is MOE and LaSalle are really only going after minority students who are good at sports. These are the students they are giving the $$$$ too. Is that what Elder should be about? I dont know. Maybe.

Please don’t say All. I could careless what color,religion or country any Elder employee or student comes from or looks like. I want Teachers who can teach the schools mission/values, whatever subject they specialize in and can help young men grow into an ever changing world. I want students who want to learn and grow into quality productive and caring people. The giving money to Athletes, wouldn’t Elder need a minority Athlete to sign up/enroll to even talk about giving $? Does this happen at Elder and they are turned away or decline because not enough money is being offered/given?

Please don’t say All. I could careless what color,religion or country any Elder employee or student comes from or looks like. I want Teachers who can teach the schools mission/values, whatever subject they specialize in and can help young men grow into an ever changing world. I want students who want to learn and grow into quality productive and caring people. The giving money to Athletes, wouldn’t Elder need a minority Athlete to sign up/enroll to even talk about giving $? Does this happen at Elder and they are turned away or decline because not enough money is being offered/given?
Elder doesn’t give $ to athletes regardless of race. However, it would be naive to pretend the black athletes coming in from PH, Westwood, etc wouldn’t also qualify for financial aid. That’s why I’ve been pushing so hard for them to just find a way to get these kids on campus and get them at least considering Elder. They’ve got 2 kids playing D1 football this yr who found their way to Elder and benefitted greatly from it. There has to be a way to repeat that process more consistently.

No, but it doesn’t have to be that way to be successful athletically. There’s enough talent in PH and Westwood where if you can just pull in a few kids the honest way, it will drastically alter the performance of the sports teams.

Please don’t say All. I could careless what color,religion or country any Elder employee or student comes from or looks like.

I'd much rather a diverse group of Elder students. The exposure to differing backgrounds, colors, opinions, etc. is a beneficial perspective for everyone.

Last edited:
I'd much rather a diverse group of Elder students. The exposure to differing backgrounds, colors, opinions, etc. is a beneficial perspective for everyone.

I don’t disagree with this either. I just want more kids who WANT to be at Elder to show up. Think that’s what needed to increase enrollment. If it involves increasing enrollment, I don’t care where they come from or what they look like. Don’t care if they can throw a Football or play the Trumpet but they want to be at Elder to become better all around young men!

The fact remains, Elder gets the overwhelming majority of its students from its traditional feeder schools. If the minority's are not enrolled in a traditional feeder school, it's going to be hard to get them to attend Elder just like it's hard to get any public school kid to attend Elder.

This is a cop out. So, we WANT more minorities, but everywhere we get kids, there are no minorities, so it's not our fault. That's basically what you're saying. Clueless about what it means to be inclusive. And exactly my point about how most Elder people think about this.

If you're not willing to pro-actively go out and PROVE to the minority population that you want them, then it's just the same as saying "we don't want you." How people don't understand this is beyond me.

Our own world views are what's keeping this school down.

Absolutely agree with you here, but you can't just hope they come. You have to go get them.

It requires a new view on how to get it done. If they're unwilling to change in this regard, it will never happen.

This is a cop out. So, we WANT more minorities, but everywhere we get kids, there are no minorities, so it's not our fault. That's basically what you're saying. Clueless about what it means to be inclusive. And exactly my point about how most Elder people think about this.

If you're not willing to pro-actively go out and PROVE to the minority population that you want them, then it's just the same as saying "we don't want you." How people don't understand this is beyond me.

Our own world views are what's keeping this school down.

Your twisting the words to fit your agenda and narrative as you always do.

It's not a cop out...it's the facts. Substitute the words "public school" for minorities and the facts remain the same.

Your twisting the words to fit your agenda and narrative as you always do.

It's not a cop out...it's the facts. Substitute the words "public school" for minorities and the facts remain the same.

I'm not twisting anything. You said they can't get minorities or public school kids (inserted at your recommendation) because those type of kids don't go to their feeder schools.

If that is the attitude they have on this, they are screwed.

OK, he said it will be hard. NO KIDDING!

Oh well, it's hard, move one. Weak.

So is he implying it's Elder's job to get more minorities and public school kids into feeders? Or its the feeders job to attract more minorities so they feed to Elder? Elder needs to take this head on.

Who cares where they go the grade school. You need to broaden to everyone west of 75. That's the point, and it's not a narrative.

Last edited:
Ha...someone else caught you spinning words as well.

Instead of only asking why Elder doesn't attract more minority students...why not also ask why more minority students aren't at most of the traditional feeder schools or Seton? This number is increasing for the Price Hill schools (especially spanish speaking), but it's a $10,000 difference to attend Elder compared to a grade school which may be free.

Again, Elder MUST do better but this is a bigger issue than just Elder.

OK, he said it will be hard. NO KIDDING!

Oh well, it's hard, move one. Weak.

So is he implying it's Elder's job to get more minorities and public school kids into feeders? Or its the feeders job to attract more minorities so they feed to Elder? Elder needs to take this head on.

Who cares where they go the grade school. You need to broaden to everyone west of 75. That's the point, and it's not a narrative.
So enlighten us with your bold plan to broaden Elder's reach and appeal regarding minority and/or non-feeder students. It's obvious we don't have the insight or forward thinking as you do. Spell it out slowly, step-by-step so you don't lose us.

Ha...someone else caught you spinning words as well.

Instead of only asking why Elder doesn't attract more minority students...why not also ask why more minority students aren't at most of the traditional feeder schools or Seton? This number is increasing for the Price Hill schools (especially spanish speaking), but it's a $10,000 difference to attend Elder compared to a grade school which may be free.

Again, Elder MUST do better but this is a bigger issue than just Elder.
I assume cost is the biggest reason why minority students aren’t choosing Catholic Grade Schools. You would think if it were feasible, the choice of Lawrence, William, Res, HF vs Oyler, Carson, Whittier would be easy. However, even if those schools have reasonable tuition with aid, it’s still a tough swing for a lot of parents in that area.

I know Elder and the feeder schools are always going to be linked together, but they can’t spend too much time worrying about how they handle their business. Elder needs to focus on what they can control. That focus is better spent on establishing relationships with students at these schools, finding a way to get them interested early.

Status
Not open for further replies.