• West Clermont

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Walnut Hills

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Withrow

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

tiger56dad

It's getting REAL close to fall practice - wondering how the ECC will shake out in 2019.
Things I've noticed or overheard:
(1) top 3 ECC QBs are ALL returning - Anderson, Milford, Turpin - that should be good!
(2) KIngs returns some speed but QB is up for grabs, no breakaway threat like last year and not much size on the OL
(3) Loveland may be playing some young players again, might be another tough one for my Tigers, hope the new coach proves me wrong
(4) Milford coming off a great year with a big playoff win, returning QB but looks like all other skill positions will be new starters - can Grippa keep getting better??
(5) Anderson top 2 RBs return as well
(6) Withrow will return for one final year of futility
(7) West Clermont should be better than last year - played some young folks - school so big, hard to believe they stay down

So my wild guesses:
1. Anderson
2. Turpin
3. Milford
4. Kings
5. West Clermont
6. Loveland
7. Walnut Hills
8. Withrow

One last year before Winton Woods come and beat up this league. 1. Turpin, 2. Anderson, 3. Milford, 4. Kings, 5. Loveland, 6. Walnut Hills, 7. West Clermont, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Withrow. (I think they are everyone homecoming game this year)

It's getting REAL close to fall practice - wondering how the ECC will shake out in 2019.
Things I've noticed or overheard:
(1) top 3 ECC QBs are ALL returning - Anderson, Milford, Turpin - that should be good!
(2) KIngs returns some speed but QB is up for grabs, no breakaway threat like last year and not much size on the OL
(3) Loveland may be playing some young players again, might be another tough one for my Tigers, hope the new coach proves me wrong
(4) Milford coming off a great year with a big playoff win, returning QB but looks like all other skill positions will be new starters - can Grippa keep getting better??
(5) Anderson top 2 RBs return as well
(6) Withrow will return for one final year of futility
(7) West Clermont should be better than last year - played some young folks - school so big, hard to believe they stay down

So my wild guesses:
1. Anderson
2. Turpin
3. Milford
4. Kings
5. West Clermont
6. Loveland
7. Walnut Hills
8. Withrow

Any news or expectations on the Walnut Hills Eagles?

I was just at Withrow the other day. They actually have some competent leadership at the head coach position and the players are responding. That being said, they may not finish dead last the final year.

People said the same thing about Snow, I'm calling . He was the ADs buddy from Dayton, only reason he got the job.

Since he was at Woodward, it would've been an internal transfer, they went past that process, obviously not interested in Jones, opened it up to outside candidates, were probably surprised that no big names applied and then decided to go with his buddy who finished middle of CMAC, that's not exactly sending out a ton of confidence. All I know is that Snow had all kinds of people come on here and say they had talent, numbers, etc. I don't think this all of a sudden changed with a coach they didn't even want in the first place.

Eh, you may be right, you may not. However, it doesn't matter how you get the job , it is what you do once you are there.

I was just at Withrow the other day. They actually have some competent leadership at the head coach position and the players are responding. That being said, they may not finish dead last the final year.
I think that’s good for Withrow and the ECC - they need to be competitive....

Valid point. I still see a last place finish or second last place. Bottom will be Walnut and Withrow.
I never understood that about Walnut. It seems like they have some kids going D1 about every year and yet they constantly under perform. Whats the deal over there?

People said the same thing about Snow, I'm calling . He was the ADs buddy from Dayton, only reason he got the job.

Since he was at Woodward, it would've been an internal transfer, they went past that process, obviously not interested in Jones, opened it up to outside candidates, were probably surprised that no big names applied and then decided to go with his buddy who finished middle of CMAC, that's not exactly sending out a ton of confidence. All I know is that Snow had all kinds of people come on here and say they had talent, numbers, etc. I don't think this all of a sudden changed with a coach they didn't even want in the first place.
Are you saying they are buddies because they are both from Dayton?

I don't think a coach would really care about what you post on a gossip site. I don't think a coach would have people posting about our opinions. Cut the games.

Are you saying they are buddies because they are both from Dayton?
From my understanding they are both from Dayton Public Schools. Also, I was told that the AD dude passed on Cargile from Taft who is the best coach in the CMAC. So yeah they are buddies along with the basketball coach at Withrow.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who Withrow hires, they will not be able to compete in the ECC. They can have Nick Saban and he will struggle. The dynamics in the city are difficult. Look at Withrows other sports. They struggle in everything in the ECC.

From my understanding they are both from Dayton Public Schools. Also, I was told that the AD dude passed on Cargile from Taft who is the best coach in the CMAC. So yeah they are buddies along with the basketball coach at Withrow.
People from the outside looking in have no idea about this situation. Jones in his second year at Woodward had them playing much better and would’ve been in contention for a Cmac title this year if he stayed. I know it’s early but right now withrow looks better than they did last season already. More talent and numbers. Will they win in the ECC this year no, but will he get them turned around and competing for a Cmac title in 2020? Yes... Cargile best coach in the Cmac? No. He has the most talent for sure but he’s not the best coach. They’ve been loaded with talent/transfers and haven’t won a first round game yet. They were also good before he took over. Aiken and West Hi get the most out of what they have so I’d say they have the best coaches.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who Withrow hires, they will not be able to compete in the ECC. They can have Nick Saban and he will struggle. The dynamics in the city are difficult. Look at Withrows other sports. They struggle in everything in the ECC.
Im sure if Nick Saban showed up at Withrow, kids from far and wide will be trying to transfer in. Come on now.

I think the Forest Hills Schools will be at the top and the Cincinnati Public schools will be at the bottom. Everything in between is up for grabs IMHO.

People from the outside looking in have no idea about this situation. Jones in his second year at Woodward had them playing much better and would’ve been in contention for a Cmac title this year if he stayed. I know it’s early but right now withrow looks better than they did last season already. More talent and numbers. Will they win in the ECC this year no, but will he get them turned around and competing for a Cmac title in 2020? Yes... Cargile best coach in the Cmac? No. He has the most talent for sure but he’s not the best coach. They’ve been loaded with talent/transfers and haven’t won a first round game yet. They were also good before he took over. Aiken and West Hi get the most out of what they have so I’d say they have the best coaches.

OK, let's not get ahead of ourselves here, if Kali was such a good coach, they would've snatched him up during the internal transfer period. Secondly, we need to quit acting like winning the CMAC is hard. Ask Withrow..... they dominated the CMAC, join the ECC and get curb-stomped into the ground each year so badly that they are going back to the CMAC. Jones finished in the middle of the CMAC last year at Woodward.... that doesn't exactly show me anything. A 4-6 record in their joke of of a schedule last year is pathetic.... they beat a terrible Withrow, Gamble, Hughes and Shroder.... wow sound the alarm and lookout for this amazing coach. Jones' Woodward team lost their 6 games by a combined score of 171-97.... again, not exactly confidence building.

Lastly, I think it is worth noting that Jonas, the AD at Withrow was/is looking to leave. He was hired to be Huber Heights Wayne's AD earlier this summer pending board approval.... this was all according to the pre-released board minutes; but Wayne decided Jonas had too much controversy and decided to rescind the offer last minute. Nothing at Withrow's Athletic Dept. the past few years has instilled any bit of confidence in any way whatsoever, and the joke continues. Sad for the kids and the community.

The ECC basically is full of D2 programs. Withrow was beating D3,4,5 schools with 20-30 kids when they were in the CMAC. It should not be a surprise they didn't compete in the ECC everyone knows that was a bad move. Winning in the CMAC is extreamly hard. Do you know the struggle it takes for those coaches to put a team on the field? They spend more time trying to help kids eat, find places to stay, help with transportation, etc . than they do with actual football things. Most of the current coaches in the CMAC took over programs that were in terrible shape for YEARS before they arrived. It takes more than a couple seasons to change the culture. I won't get too deep into that conversation though. Jones was 2-8 year 1 and 4-6 year 2, a couple of those losses couldve went either way. As i mentioned outside looking in I could see why you say what you do but the people that know whats really going on get it.

The ECC basically is full of D2 programs. Withrow was beating D3,4,5 schools with 20-30 kids when they were in the CMAC. It should not be a surprise they didn't compete in the ECC everyone knows that was a bad move. Winning in the CMAC is extreamly hard. Do you know the struggle it takes for those coaches to put a team on the field? They spend more time trying to help kids eat, find places to stay, help with transportation, etc . than they do with actual football things. Most of the current coaches in the CMAC took over programs that were in terrible shape for YEARS before they arrived. It takes more than a couple seasons to change the culture. I won't get too deep into that conversation though. Jones was 2-8 year 1 and 4-6 year 2, a couple of those losses couldve went either way. As i mentioned outside looking in I could see why you say what you do but the people that know whats really going on get it.
I know exactly what it takes as I have coached in the CMAC before and know all of the struggles you mention very well It really isn't hard to win that conference as most of those teams are so terrible at football every year due to those struggles that you mention as well as the nightmare Athletic Department in CPS. When was the last time a CMAC school won a playoff game? It is a bad conference, period. And that is 90% the fault of the terribly run CPS Athletic Dept.

Withrow was also D2 when they left the CMAC, so the ECC made the most sense logistics wise at that time. Withrow also spent most of their time being a D1 team while in the CMAC. Why would they join the SWOC or CHL when they are/were so much larger than those schools? Also, Withrow really wanted in the ECC to try to elevate their school's reputation and was hoping to do so by being associated with those schools in the ECC. They also lied during their application process saying that within 2 years they would have all teams competing in all the sports (Swimming, Tennis, Boys Volleyball, etc) when they had no real plan to follow through with such false claims.

I know exactly what it takes as I have coached in the CMAC before and know all of the struggles you mention very well It really isn't hard to win that conference as most of those teams are so terrible at football every year due to those struggles that you mention as well as the nightmare Athletic Department in CPS. When was the last time a CMAC school won a playoff game? It is a bad conference, period. And that is 90% the fault of the terribly run CPS Athletic Dept.

Withrow was also D2 when they left the CMAC, so the ECC made the most sense logistics wise at that time. Withrow also spent most of their time being a D1 team while in the CMAC. Why would they join the SWOC or CHL when they are/were so much larger than those schools? Also, Withrow really wanted in the ECC to try to elevate their school's reputation and was hoping to do so by being associated with those schools in the ECC. They also lied during their application process saying that within 2 years they would have all teams competing in all the sports (Swimming, Tennis, Boys Volleyball, etc) when they had no real plan to follow through with such false claims.
For you to have coached in the CMAC, you sure do have a lot of empathy in regards to the challenges they face when it comes to competition. It sounds like you just got frustrated and left instead of implementing the change you wanted to see.

For you to have coached in the CMAC, you sure do have a lot of empathy in regards to the challenges they face when it comes to competition. It sounds like you just got frustrated and left instead of implementing the change you wanted to see.

I wasn't frustrated at all, wish I could still do it. New job & way longer work hours made it impossible to keep coaching. I loved coaching in the CMAC way more than any of my other places. The kids were way more genuine. I will tell you that those kids don't need more empathy, and they certainly don't need more exposure to other bad programs, in the same boat that they are in, that's what they think is normal.... the rotating coaches, bad and disrespectful coaches, undisciplined teams, kids not showing up to practice, etc. The ECC was a bad fit for Withrow, but going back to the CMAC is going to set them back even further, at least in the ECC they had more exposure to what it takes to be competitive with teams other than the CMAC.

CMAC doesn't need more excuses, and I was not frustrated in the least coaching in the CMAC, life changes is all. There are many other programs that have the same difficulties as the CMAC programs, but have found success, some constant success, others, success in spurts, but it's possible. Modeling your conference after DPS and other terribly run urban public Athletic Conferences is not the way for these kids to get any better.

I don't know where you seen that at. They have about 15 kids at practice and the two tall kids he was parading about have transferred to Mt. Healthy. I heard they had a great freshman bunch last season but was told a lot of them left to go to Taft, Purcell, Winton Woods, and Mt. Healthy. I was only ably to see them last season once or twice, the numbers are less.