St. Ignatius priest has been placed administrative leave

I've heard he is an Elder alum. Hopefully, it's something not too serious or a misunderstanding.

Elder doesn't need any more bad headlines, and you know the media will put Elder front and center if this is bad.

Very simply, the Catholic Church has to allow priests to get married. This should have been done a long time ago. This will help get rid of the bad priests.

How many more families just left the Catholic Church and/or schools based on this? Another priest that shuffles from parish to parish. This guy is going to end up at another parish somewhere. The Archdiocese needs a zero tolerance policy.

Very simply, the Catholic Church has to allow priests to get married. This should have been done a long time ago. This will help get rid of the bad priests.

How many more families just left the Catholic Church and/or schools based on this? Another priest that shuffles from parish to parish. This guy is going to end up at another parish somewhere. The Archdiocese needs a zero tolerance policy.

I have a huge problem with this idea that just bc they can’t have physical intimacy with women they default to young boys. I think it’s a problem that goes far beyond that. It seems like the priesthood was a more a way for pedophiles to disguise themselves than turning heterosexual men into pedophiles.

I have a huge problem with this idea that just bc they can’t have physical intimacy with women they default to young boys. I think it’s a problem that goes far beyond that. It seems like the priesthood was a more a way for pedophiles to disguise themselves than turning heterosexual men into pedophiles.

Solid point.

I agree, but I still think it would help get rid of the bad priests. You also add a large pool of people that would be great priests and assets to a parish. A good parish priest can really help grow a parish, and a poor priest can set a parish back.

I agree, but I still think it would help get rid of the bad priests. You also add a large pool of people that would be great priests and assets to a parish. A good parish priest can really help grow a parish, and a poor priest can set a parish back.

So if a priest chooses not to get married, he’ll be ostracized? That doesn’t seem fair.

Zero Tolerance for Anything that involves “inappropriate” behavior and children. This is not difficult to figure out that this type of stuff involving children should be unacceptable Anywhere! Sounds like Archdiocese is still hiding/sweeping under rug these things so they clearly have learned nothing from past situations involving Priests and Children.

Yes because we know that there is not a problem with married teachers, cops, coaches, scout leaders, protestant ministers and other married adults committing these kinds of acts. In fact, most of the perps are married.

How many more families just left the Catholic Church and/or schools based on this? Another priest that shuffles from parish to parish. This guy is going to end up at another parish somewhere.

Not if the allegations are substantiated and sufficiently serious. If a crime has been committed it will be prosecuted per the Church's policy, it has already been reported to the police and prosecutor.

The Archdiocese needs a zero tolerance policy.

They already have one.

Shocking...not.

Again, no value in being affiliated with this crime family.
I know. That is why you have nothing to do with teachers (much more likely to offend at this point) coaches, cops, scout leaders, protestant ministers or any other adults who might have access to children and who are in positions which have been used to offend against kids in the past. So, your kids are home schooled and and told to not have any direct involvement with any adult outside your family.

Every other segment of society in which this was (or in some cases still is) a problem, the institutional reaction was the same as the Church. The Church does now have a zero tolerance policy and it appears to be working. As far as I have heard, no child was harmed in this case and the authorities were contacted.

I know. That is why you have nothing to do with teachers (much more likely to offend at this point) coaches, cops, scout leaders, protestant ministers or any other adults who might have access to children and who are in positions which have been used to offend against kids in the past. So, your kids are home schooled and and told to not have any direct involvement with any adult outside your family.

Every other segment of society in which this was (or in some cases still is) a problem, the institutional reaction was the same as the Church. The Church does now have a zero tolerance policy and it appears to be working. As far as I have heard, no child was harmed in this case and the authorities were contacted.

You have to stop pretending like this isn’t a big problem in the priesthood. Sure, every now and again you hear about a teacher (mostly women) who have affairs with students. However, it’s a far more widespread issue within the priesthood. Obviously, not at all priests are pedophiles, but you can’t ignore the frequency of these events.

The archdiocese is an absolute joke with this. This priest had the same allegations at his previous stop, St. Maximilian. When those were brought up, they moved him immediately. I know parishioners out there and they had meetings and all kinds other promises out there. It was text messages out there too as well as "joking" comments to students. He was moved immediately to St. Ignatius and told don't do anything similar again.

The archdiocese refuses to change either. Hide info and don't get caught.

You have to stop pretending like this isn’t a big problem in the priesthood. Sure, every now and again you hear about a teacher (mostly women) who have affairs with students. However, it’s a far more widespread issue within the priesthood. Obviously, not at all priests are pedophiles, but you can’t ignore the frequency of these events.
Yes, was a big problem. Not any more. Recent incidents are extremely rare, especially when compared to lay teachers.

The archdiocese is an absolute joke with this. This priest had the same allegations at his previous stop, St. Maximilian. When those were brought up, they moved him immediately. I know parishioners out there and they had meetings and all kinds other promises out there. It was text messages out there too as well as "joking" comments to students. He was moved immediately to St. Ignatius and told don't do anything similar again.

What were the text messages? Please let me know. They may have been weird but somewhat innocuous. Let us know when you find out the details.

It’s time to clean house at the Archdiocese. Anyone from Schnurr on down who knew about the situation at St. Max and then allowed Fr. Drew to be transferred to St. Ignatius needs to resign immediately.

The Archdiocese transferred a priest who was told to have limited contact with children to the parish with the highest grade school enrollment in the entire archdiocese...and didn’t even tell the school principal.

It’s time to clean house at the Archdiocese. Anyone from Schnurr on down who knew about the situation at St. Max and then allowed Fr. Drew to be transferred to St. Ignatius needs to resign immediately.

The Archdiocese transferred a priest who was told to have limited contact with children to the parish with the highest grade school enrollment in the entire archdiocese...and didn’t even tell the school principal.
My God. Unreal

Here's the quote from St. Ignatius principal Kevin Vance's email to parents:
I can state unequivocally that no administrator or school staff member was informed that Fr. Geoff should have limited contact with students, before our meeting this morning.
I believe "this morning" refers to a meeting on Monday morning (07/30) which is when the St. Ignatius staff first learned about the allegations and the reason for Fr. Drew's leave of absence even though I believe he had taken his leave several days earlier.

Another question, why weren't parishioners at St. Maximilian Kolbe notified of Fr. Drew's inappropriate interactions while the pastor there? Were those interactions "less inappropriate"?

Another question, why weren't parishioners at St. Maximilian Kolbe notified of Fr. Drew's inappropriate interactions while the pastor there? Were those interactions "less inappropriate"?

C'mon, I think we know why. That's what crime families do. Conceal and deny.

They haven't changed at all. Through all of this, they're still doing the same things. Completely despicable people.

Yes, was a big problem. Not any more. Recent incidents are extremely rare, especially when compared to lay teachers.

That's what your going with? "Incidents among priests are rare compared to lay teachers." Like that makes it any better?

Lay teachers outnumber priests about 25 to 1. Furthermore, I'd hope priests who have "dedicated their life to serving God" would be held to a higher standard. Unfortunately, the opposite is now true. It's almost expected at this point.

Given the 50 years of sordid background and recent history, how in the world does the Archdiocese justify burying the story, and moving this man to another parish after a reported incident? Did they not learn anything?

That's what your going with? "Incidents among priests are rare compared to lay teachers." Like that makes it any better?

Lay teachers outnumber priests about 25 to 1. Furthermore, I'd hope priests who have "dedicated their life to serving God" would be held to a higher standard. Unfortunately, the opposite is now true. It's almost expected at this point.

Given the 50 years of sordid background and recent history, how in the world does the Archdiocese justify burying the story, and moving this man to another parish after a reported incident? Did they not learn anything?
I’ve been saying for yrs, they’re corrupt. Mojo takes this as an indictment of the Catholic Faith and it’s not. The Institution is the one who doesn’t respect the Catholic Faith with this kind of behavior. Be mad at them, not the critics.

Here's the quote from St. Ignatius principal Kevin Vance's email to parents:

I believe "this morning" refers to a meeting on Monday morning (07/30) which is when the St. Ignatius staff first learned about the allegations and the reason for Fr. Drew's leave of absence even though I believe he had taken his leave several days earlier.

That’s terrible. Thankfully, no child was physically harmed, but this is how those incidents occur, it’s called grooming for a reason.

Exactly. I was about to post this same thing. WLW was talking about this extensively yesterday. They couldn't believe the Archdiocese simply moved him to another parish when it happened before. So much for the Archdiocese "zero tolerance" policy.

Truly sickening.

This pisses me off so much. I hope the entire Catholic community in Cincinnati comes together to demand change once and for all. This cannot continue and we shouldn't stop until something changes. I hope this doesn't die.

Exactly. I was about to post this same thing. WLW was talking about this extensively yesterday. They couldn't believe the Archdiocese simply moved him to another parish when it happened before. So much for the Archdiocese "zero tolerance" policy.

Yeah, hilarious for Mojo to sit here and act like they enforce the zero tolerance policy, in a thread that shows them not enforcing it. Disgusting that Mojo excuses this type of behavior from the Archdiocese.

The Absent Archbishop has confirmed Fr. Drew will not return to St. Ignatius. https://www.wlwt.com/article/priest...oversy-removed-from-west-side-parish/28564599

“Father Drew will soon undergo a complete physical, psychological and spiritual assessment at an independent in-patient treatment facility. That assessment, along with recommendations of the professionals treating Father Drew, will be provided to me as input for deciding the appropriate next steps,” Schnurr said in a letter to the parish Wednesday.

Again, why wasn't this done when the first allegations surfaced in 2018 while Drew was at St. Maximilian Kolbe? Even if you only consider the selfish interests of leadership of the Archdiocese why not spare yourself the embarrassment and risk of Drew being a repeat offender?

According to that article, Fr. Drew was placed on administrative leave on Tuesday, July 23 but no announcement was made until Sunday, July 28 and then it was only done in the most cryptic way possible at Sunday masses. Then apparently no one on staff was told the full reason for his leave until the morning of Monday, July 29. Parishioners found out later that night. If the archdiocese needed to wait 5-6 days to tell parishioners why this move was made they should have everything under control. It's clear they don't.