UC coaching search

Why does it have to be an either/or for that?

It shouldn’t be, but I’m tired of hearing about how Mick made the Tournament 9 yrs in a row, when he failed to get out of the 2nd round in 8 of them

The Enquirer did a poll and apparently the majority of fans want Van Exel. Not sure why people are so high on him. His resume is lacking and he doesn't have the connections that someone like Penny Hardaway has. Brannen was 2nd and I think at this point he's my #1 as well. A healthy Matta might push Brannen to #2 though.

The Enquirer did a poll and apparently the majority of fans want Van Exel. Not sure why people are so high on him. His resume is lacking and he doesn't have the connections that someone like Penny Hardaway has. Brannen was 2nd and I think at this point he's my #1 as well. A healthy Matta might push Brannen to #2 though.

What is Matta's health situation ? Anyone know ?

I'd love to lure away Brad Stevens but that's just not going to happen. Nick Van Exel I think will be the most likely choice based on what I've seen from other fans on Twitter. I'd be happy with any coach that'll take us past the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament.

i get he went to UC. i get he at least has been coaching in NBA. but D1 college coaching is completely different and not sure if you've noticed, but former NBA players that have coached in the NBA first or even just played in the NBA, then have tried college, haven't fared well. Mullin already gone. Jury still out on Ewing. Dunleavy, as well. I realize Stackhouse just got hired at Vandy but I'm willing to bet that one won't work out either.

either way, if i were a UC fan, Van Exel would not be my pick.

I'd love to lure away Brad Stevens but that's just not going to happen. Nick Van Exel I think will be the most likely choice based on what I've seen from other fans on Twitter. I'd be happy with any coach that'll take us past the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Hahahahahahahah i bet you would like coach K too

Many of us Hoosier fans were hoping this when Crean was fired.

Maybe in a couple of years when Archie is gone!

It is a tough debate, as a coach would you rather be in charge of multi million dollar "pre-maddona's"(Old jjhuddle reference) and not have much power OR a college coach where you have to coddle Johnny and his parents to choose your school over everyone else and kiss those kids and rebuild every year or 2?

Is this job considered a stepping stone position?

Eh, I'd say no at the moment. They've only had 2 head coaches in the last 30 years, and an interim coach for a year. It all depends on what direction they take with this hire. The needle could start to lean stepping stone if they go with a young hire like Brannen. But there's also the possibility they go with a more veteran coach who's in his 50's and would want to stick around awhile, who knows. I have no idea what direction they plan on going.

Fans are dumb. I’ll never understand how people can care so much about a team, but put such little time into due diligence when it comes to things like hiring a HC.

Because so many UC fans are still hung up on Huggins and that era of UC basketball. So they see the name Nick Van Exel and get nostalgic. I get it, but like you alluded to it's completely short sighted.

Just for fun, here's a list of all the names I've seen thrown out there(realistic or not) either in articles or message boards like Yappi and Bearcat Journal. Let me know if I've missed any.

John Brannen
Nick Van Exel
Rick Pitino
Thad Matta
Travis Ford
Steve Forbes(ETSU)
Ron Hunter(Georgia St/Tulane)
John Becker(Vermont)
Pat Kelsey(Winthrop)
Nathan Davis(Bucknell)
Matt McMahon(Murray St.)
Darren Savino(UC Asst.)
Erik Martin(WVU Asst.)
Bryce Drew
Shaka Smart
Greg McDermott
Frank Martin
Steve Alford

I honestly don’t know why there’s much of a discussion unless a major wild card like Pitino is interested. Brannen is the easy choice. He’s been successful as a HC at a Mid Major and has experience as an Asst with a P5 team at Bama. It helps he’s coaching near by, but that’s not a big factor for hiring him. Cincy sports fans get too caught up on hiring the “local boy” crap. If he coached at Valpo or Wright St, I’d still think he was the best candidate.

Because so many UC fans are still hung up on Huggins and that era of UC basketball. So they see the name Nick Van Exel and get nostalgic. I get it, but like you alluded to it's completely short sighted.

I think fans look at Penny Hardway at Memphis and think the same about Van Exel. However, as you said, Penny coached at the HS level in Memphis for a while before he took the job. Also, Memphis has a massive talent pool in the area. So not only was Penny well connected, he has a lot more talent near by to draw from.

I think fans look at Penny Hardway at Memphis and think the same about Van Exel. However, as you said, Penny coached at the HS level in Memphis for a while before he took the job. Also, Memphis has a massive talent pool in the area. So not only was Penny well connected, he has a lot more talent near by to draw from.

Doesnt hurt coaching DJ and James

I've heard some Kelsey rumblings to NKU if Brannen gets UC (mostly by the same people that bring up his name when any regional decent job comes open).

I'm guessing Kelsey would have interest in UC. He'd have to.

Just for fun, here's a list of all the names I've seen thrown out there(realistic or not) either in articles or message boards like Yappi and Bearcat Journal. Let me know if I've missed any.

John Brannen
Nick Van Exel
Rick Pitino
Thad Matta
Travis Ford
Steve Forbes(ETSU)
Ron Hunter(Georgia St/Tulane)
John Becker(Vermont)
Pat Kelsey(Winthrop)
Nathan Davis(Bucknell)
Matt McMahon(Murray St.)
Darren Savino(UC Asst.)
Erik Martin(WVU Asst.)
Bryce Drew
Shaka Smart
Greg McDermott
Frank Martin
Steve Alford
Frank Martin would be amazing and is the cop coach on this list imo. Next choice would be Brannen