African American State Champions in Ohio

........so thats 4 state champions....elyria still leading with 5.....do i make sense here...i never could see eye to eye with elyria folks about wrestling. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE RAIN ....

Why because you talked a bunch of smack to other parents cause your son may have been having a bad practice. Is that why you no longer like Elyria. Man how many screen names do you have one for every voice in your head. Isn’t that a song too I like this game. This is your third name in a few months. Hopefully boy has great run at OAC state. It will not be that long before he is in High School. Where has he been practicing since you guys left Elyria since can’t see eye to eye with them. You guys do have that “Eye of the Tiger” going for you but can’t remember the band. Great warm up song too. Best of luck to the boy, by the way is he still planning on staying in Elyria Schools for high school.

Troy Bowers

Troy Bowers from Westerville South wrestling (March 4-6, 1999) - A broken hand sidelined him for a month of the regular season, but Bowers went on to pin three of his four opponents at state and win the Division I title at heavyweight. In the final, Bowers pinned future NFL player Alex Stepanovich of Berea in 1:03.

Bowers was Westerville South’s first State Champ in school history.

Some other greats...

Lee Kemp Chardon
Markus Mollica Walsh
Will Knight Shaker Heights
Kore Sharpley Shaker Heights
Shantell Sanders CAPE
Airron Richardson Toledo Scott
Kevin Randleman Sandusky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some other greats...

Lee Kemp Chardon
Markus Mollica Walsh
Shantell Sanders CAPE
Kevin Randleman Sandusky

Jermaine Daniels, twice & Tommy Tye, twice.

wholl stop the rain.....

Why because you talked a bunch of smack to other parents cause your son may have been having a bad practice. Is that why you no longer like Elyria. Man how many screen names do you have one for every voice in your head. Isn’t that a song too I like this game. This is your third name in a few months. Hopefully boy has great run at OAC state. It will not be that long before he is in High School. Where has he been practicing since you guys left Elyria since can’t see eye to eye with them. You guys do have that “Eye of the Tiger” going for you but can’t remember the band. Great warm up song too. Best of luck to the boy, by the way is he still planning on staying in Elyria Schools for high school.
.....t.z..is i....figured it out big dummy...like fred says to lamont.....somebuddie must of made you look stupid....and will again...maybe from the chaucy shives band (gang).......ill talk to the deubels..about elyria..about that boy.... the eye of the tiger ...is a jethro tull tune....figure that out 2....theme song to rocky is a remake!.......30 minutes later...i talked to the peskars and they said...just let it be!....and whereever the boy goes to school hell be fine!....they said he weighs about 127 lbs now!

Last edited:
Akron Kenmore has 2
Dontae "Squeeky" Smith 1988
Jermain Thompson 2002

Akron Buchtel has 3 runner-ups
Richard Decatur 1980 (Jordan and Jacob's Uncle)
Bobby Jackson 1986
Sandy Womack 1987

maybe more...

sandusky .....irby..and randleman..possibly more....what happened to STARTER OF THIS THREAD....CHIDLY WIDLY......he outa know about all these schools along the watch tower....i mean the lake........he dont know what it is to be RUNNING ON EMPTY....OR IS IT DOCTOR MY EYES......have seen the BAD AND THE GOOD....

Last edited:
Roger Merrell 1997
Omar Scruggs - Sycamore - 1999
Tomazz Wilson Woodmore 1994, 1995
maybe Ana Abdujelil - Whitehall Yearling 2016
LaConte Merrell 1992

in 1969.......the year of the cat.....I MEAN A WILDCAT.....LIKE HENDRIX SINGS.........SHAWN GATREL WAS NCAA CHAMP AS FRESHMAN AT OKLAHOMA ST...THEN GAVE UP WRESTLING....

Shawn Garel, Oklahoma - Shawn Garel won the 118-pound NCAA title in 1975 and beat future NCAA champions Mark DiGirolamo and Mike Land on his way to the finals. In what was probably the toughest weight class in the history of the tournament, there were three other future NCAA champions and two runner-ups in that 118-pound bracket.....brutal!

Shawn Garel - 1975 champion
Mike Land - 1978 champion
Jack Spates - 1973 champion
Mark DiGirolamo - 1976 champion
Andy Daniels - 1978 champion
Nick Gallo - 1977 champion
Jim Brown - 1975 runner up
???????? - runner up

Not bad for one weight class with lots of Ohio talent..... 6 champs and 2 runners up.
I’m missing one runner up, if anyone knows you will be awarded $1,000,000 from “crooked bdhof”. If for some reason he doesn’t pay you the $1,000,000 as agreed upon here, that simply proves he’s crooked!

Last edited:
Before 1990 I don't want to assume I know that they are African American but the list of 2xers can be found here
https://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Wrestling/Multiple-Times-State-Champs.pdf

John Weakley(CVCA)- This would bring my count to 4 for CVCA (Weakley, Jacob & Jordan Decatur, & Lester ). Is there any other 1 time champs from CVCA that are African American? I believe CVCA has the total title record. With 10 titles between these 4 wrestlers. Awesome!

I love the Black History Month thread. Just recently read about the passing of Frankie Robinson, the first Black manager in MLB history. Very inspiring.

Getting back to CVCA wrestling history with black athletes; Damion Lester, Justin Tripp, Thomas Wndom and Ryan Bennet were all African American multiple state placers for CVCA.

surprise it wasn't already not posted, but current OSU freshmen redshirt Kevion Freeman a 3x State Champ from Lake Catholic (I believe the first black State champ ever from Lake Catholic).

Some other greats...

Lee Kemp Chardon
Markus Mollica Walsh
Shantell Sanders CAPE
Kevin Randleman Sandusky

Airron Richardson was actually from Toledo Start, he is our one and only State Champion. Airron also went on to win a National title that year.

Shawn Garel, Oklahoma - Shawn Garel won the 118-pound NCAA title in 1975 and beat future NCAA champions Mark DiGirolamo and Mike Land on his way to the finals. In what was probably the toughest weight class in the history of the tournament, there were three other future NCAA champions and two runner-ups in the 118-pound bracket.....brutal!

Garel was a Soph. when he won the NCAA's in 75. He wrestled some during his freshmen year, but he was behind Gary Breece, who won the NCAA's that year (it was harder to redshirt back then). That was pre- Title IX, so they had a lot more scholarships and depth on teams.

Garel did come back his Jr year (1976) to defend his title and was the #1 seed at 118. But he didn't make weight on the second day of the tourney and the coach booted him off the team.. He had wrestled 118 since HS.

My old coach coached him at East Cleveland Shaw. Shaw almost won the AAA state title in 1972. Back then you could win it with 35 or so points (esp. if Maple had a down year). Garel's cousin, David Grant was second in the state that year. It had to be the only time a predominantly black, inner-city school contended for a state title

you talk about them superman songs...GET OFF MY CLOUD...

IF THERE WAS SOMEONE TO BEAT SUPERMAN...garel would be the guy,,,seen him losing in a semi-final match at garfield hts sectional 10-1 after 1st period...stormed back ...LIKE A HURRICANE...AND WON 23-15... THE STONES HAD AGREAT LINE HERE...about some superhero on his own cloud...WOW THIS GAREL REALLY WAS GREAT........THANKS RANDYLOATHSOME FOR SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT.... THESE KIDS AND THIS GENERATION SHOULD KNOW ABOUT GAREL...AND HIS CUZ.....

Shawn Garel, Oklahoma - Shawn Garel won the 118-pound NCAA title in 1975 and beat future NCAA champions Mark DiGirolamo and Mike Land on his way to the finals. In what was probably the toughest weight class in the history of the tournament, there were three other future NCAA champions and two runner-ups in that 118-pound bracket.....brutal!

???????? - runner up

Not bad for one weight class with lots of Ohio talent..... 6 champs and 2 runners up.
I’m missing one runner up, if anyone knows you will be awarded $1,000,000 from “crooked bdhof”. If for some reason he doesn’t pay you the $1,000,000 as agreed upon here, that simply proves he’s crooked!

That 1975 bracket at 118 was loaded w/ talent as stated above, much of it from Ohio. In addition to NCAA champs Garel, East Cleveland Shaw, and Daniels, Akron Butchel, Brown, Akron Ellet, was an NCAA 2nd in 1975 and Myron Shapiro, Toledo Rogers, was an NCAA 3rd that year. So you had the top three all from Ohio with a future champ, Daniels, also in there. You also had Paul Schoenauer, a state champ from Euclid, and Steve Stalnaker, a state champ from Johnathan Alter.

Last edited:

???????? - runner up

Mike McArthur, Minnesota - 1977 runner up

one-million-dollars-header-1-1-1024x576.jpg

Xenia

Vaughn Broadnax - 1980 (2nd in '79) OSU and USFL fame
Laurence Dudgeon - 1986

honorable mention
Vernon Broadnax 3rd in 1978

Xenia

Vaughn Broadnax - 1980 (2nd in '79) OSU and USFL fame
Laurence Dudgeon - 1986

honorable mention
Vernon Broadnax 3rd in 1978

Trivia Question : Who beat "Mount Vernon" at the state tournament in 1978 ? Hint- he was also African- American, and later played football for Ohio State and the New England Patriots

That 1975 bracket at 118 was loaded w/ talent as stated above, much of it from Ohio. In addition to NCAA champs Garel, East Cleveland Shaw, and Daniels, Akron Butchel, Brown, Akron Ellet, was an NCAA 2nd in 1975 and Myron Shapiro, Toledo Rogers, was an NCAA 3rd that year. So you had the top three all from Ohio with a future champ, Daniels, also in there. You also had Paul Schoenauer, a state champ from Euclid, and Steve Stalnaker, a state champ from Johnathan Alter.

And, not meaning to deviate too much from the original topic of the thread, from the group above, NCAA champs Garel and Daniels were African Americans. But I don't think Daniels won a state title.

Another pretty dominant African American state champ (1972) was Stormin Norman Hatchet from Withrow in Cincinnati.

And I believe the first African American state champ from the Cincinnati area was HWY Charles Gayles from Princeton in 1969.

Trivia Question : Who beat "Mount Vernon" at the state tournament in 1978 ? Hint- he was also African- American, and later played football for Ohio State and the New England Patriots

Jay Allison? Didn't know about his football, but he finished second to St. Ed's first state champ that year at AAA Hwt. Tall, athletic kid.