Lebron to LA

If you're the Lakers, do you give up assets like Ingram and Kuzma to go get Kawhi now, or do you just wait a year and sign him in free agency, now that LeBron is committed long term?

I think that's why James gave LA four years. The coming season will be on cruise control. There is no way the current roster can legitimately compete in the West. I also believe there is no way the Spurs trade Leonard to the Lakers.

I believe James is hoping Magic Johnson can swing a move to bring Cousins there this year and then welcome Leonard into the fold the following season as a free agent. In order to make the money work, many of the players on the Lakers' roster this coming year will be gone. So, James is giving the Lakers an extra year, a grace period, to bring the pieces together.

LeBron, Lance, Javale McGee, Lonzo+Lavar Ball for a short time. I'm buying League Pass this year for the pure hilarity of the Lakers season. It'll be a circus.

I wonder if LeBron is going to take Big Al from behind the Cavs' visitors' bench and use him as a Lavar Wrangler ? Just let Al keep a roll of duct tape on him at all times to seal Lavar's cake flap :laugh:

They need an NBA version of Hard Knocks.

The last 4 years are tainted now that the letter is exposed as PR garbage rather than heartfelt sentiment. His credibility is shot. Stated multiple times his intent to finish in Cleveland then pulls this stunt? Played on 1 year contracts that hamstrung roster building but gives LA a 4 year commitment? :laugh: what a fraud.

Hey at least he'll have longer vacations now.

Well...I finally found something in the LeBron saga that has pissed me off. It has nothing to do with LeBron James. It doesn't even have anything to do with basketball.

I just heard Stephen A-Hole Smith say that he was "ecstatic" that James signed with LA. Ecstatic? Seriously? What happened to the dispassionate observer?

This flaming moron is EXACTLY what is wrong with "journalism," in general, and ESPN, specifically. I wish someone would have asked him why he was so ecstatic? Would have loved to have heard that answer.

The last 4 years are tainted now that the letter is exposed as PR garbage rather than heartfelt sentiment. His credibility is shot. Stated multiple times his intent to finish in Cleveland then pulls this stunt? Played on 1 year contracts that hamstrung roster building but gives LA a 4 year commitment? :laugh: what a fraud.

:laugh: :laugh: What a loser

I wish him all the best, no hard feelings, and agree with Yappi I'm glad it's over.

Still not sure about going up against GS and HOU so early in the playoffs, or heck even Utah. One-and-done playoff series could be awfully damaging to his legacy. Not saying that will happen but he's signed up for an awfully rocky road in the West. Perhaps because he's interested in the celebrity world, operates a media company, etc. he's looking towards his post-basketball life and the rings aren't the main focus. Really, nothing will EVER top 2016, and I think he knows that.

Agree on this one. This may be his last deal - would put him at age 36-37. Similar to what Durant liked about GS the ability to set himself up after basketball. Obviously LeBron is making much more money, but this gives him more exposure to Hollywood movies/shows on top of his business ventures.

Well...I finally found something in the LeBron saga that has pissed me off. It has nothing to do with LeBron James. It doesn't even have anything to do with basketball.

I just heard Stephen A-Hole Smith say that he was "ecstatic" that James signed with LA. Ecstatic? Seriously? What happened to the dispassionate observer?

This flaming moron is EXACTLY what is wrong with "journalism," in general, and ESPN, specifically. I wish someone would have asked him why he was so ecstatic? Would have loved to have heard that answer.
Presumably because most journalists, especially the clowns that are current and former ESPN guys, believe that all of the best players should be in the major media markets playing for the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, etc. It's the same tired narrative every summer. If it requires a trade for a star, usually the big market team's assets are way overvalued by the media.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The breakdowns coming from y2h and DB so far have been nothing short of moronic, yet hilarious for the rest of us to read. Can't wait to see what Madge has to say after he told everyone for basically a year that he wasn't leaving.

Johnson probably knew before he bloviated about fire me in 2 years.
At this stage in Lebron's dual career Johnson and all his ins and outs with who's who in LA is just what he wanted.

I'd add, I don't think that basketball is a total after thought to business interests here. Cap space and assets may have LA trending way up in a couple years when the Warriors will have to decide whether to partially dismantle or spend themselves into oblivion in luxury taxes. Years three and four of his deal may have strong title contending teams. Deferred gratification may yield 1-2 more titles in his late prime and really fuel his post career West coast business ventures.

Agree on this one. This may be his last deal - would put him at age 36-37. Similar to what Durant liked about GS the ability to set himself up after basketball. Obviously LeBron is making much more money, but this gives him more exposure to Hollywood movies/shows on top of his business ventures.

I don't remember if it was linked here on Yappi or I read it elsewhere but Durant mentioned how much easier it is to be in Cali. He talked about how you can just throw money at any investment and let it grow, but he was interested in learning about where he money was going and wanted to be involved in the tech start ups and companies. And living in Cali he can, whereas living in Oklahoma - it was possible but much more difficult to match up schedules, call/Skype in, etc.

I'd add, I don't think that basketball is a total after thought to business interests here. Cap space and assets may have LA trending way up in a couple years when the Warriors will have to decide whether to partially dismantle or spend themselves into oblivion in luxury taxes. Years three and four of his deal may have strong title contending teams. Deferred gratification may yield 1-2 more titles in his late prime and really fuel his post career West coast business ventures.

Spot on. Too many people are caught up in what the Lakers have now. Rosters aren't set in stone. Titles will keep the likes of Klay and Draymond happy for so long. Eventually they'll want to be paid their rightful price and likely want to see their role expand.

The breakdowns coming from y2h and DB so far have been nothing short of moronic, yet hilarious for the rest of us to read. Can't wait to see what Madge has to say after he told everyone for basically a year that he wasn't leaving.

Db135 came out of nowhere with his meltdown. I expected it from y2h, DB was just an added bonus.

Presumably because most journalists, especially the clowns that are current and former ESPN guys, believe that all of the best players should be in the major media markets playing for the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, etc. It's the same tired narrative every summer. If it requires a trade for a star, usually the big market team's assets are way overvalued by the media.

Spot on. It's all about market share. And, travel. The networks parlay it into advertising dollars. The "reporters" get to go to the cities you've noted more often.

Bet the NFL guys can't wait for the switch from Oakland to Las Vegas.

I don't think the statements are moronic. I am glad Lebron came back and helped win a championship for Cleveland. Without Kyrie's help, they wouldn't have won it.

Lebron left Cleveland in tatters the first time through. He did it again this time. He would not commit to a long term contract with the Cavs so they could not develop talent around him. Lebron forced Cavs ownership to resign Tristan and JR at max contracts. Now they are stuck with them for another year. There was always drama with him.

Yes I would want him to stay with the Cavs but he made his choice with the Lakers. Fine by me, but it is contrary to what he said to the people of Northeast Ohio when he returned.

Awful lot of emotion over a guy who was 50/50 at best to stay. If you're getting that worked up about him leaving, maybe it's time to find an outlet.

I don't think the statements are moronic. I am glad Lebron came back and helped win a championship for Cleveland. Without Kyrie's help, they wouldn't have won it.

Lebron left Cleveland in tatters the first time through. He did it again this time. He would not commit to a long term contract with the Cavs so they could not develop talent around him. Lebron forced Cavs ownership to resign Tristan and JR at max contracts. Now they are stuck with them for another year. There was always drama with him.

Yes I would want him to stay with the Cavs but he made his choice with the Lakers. Fine by me, but it is contrary to what he said to the people of Northeast Ohio when he returned.

You don't think calling LeBron a fraud because he signed with a different team is moronic?

Nah, the Cavs failed to put any semi-decent talent around James the first time around. If the team was left in tatters when James left then, it's because he was the only player worth a damn back then. That's on the front office. This time around he left a perennial All Star and a top 10 pick. No, JR and Thompson are not at max contracts, not even remotely close to max contracts. Bad contract? Yeah, but nowhere near max.

He promised a title. Did he not deliver that to the people of Northeast Ohio? Nothing contrary to what he said.

I'm one of the Cleveland fans that appreciates his talent but now he is just another player. If the Lakers play Golden State, not sure who I would root for.

I will root for anybody that can take Golden State down. All of this goes back to Durant going to Golden State. Cleveland might have had one or two more championships if Durant hadn't gone to Golden State. Good for Durant but bad for Cleveland.

You don't think calling LeBron a fraud because he signed with a different team is moronic?

Nah, the Cavs failed to put any semi-decent talent around James the first time around. If the team was left in tatters when James left then, it's because he was the only player worth a damn back then. That's on the front office. This time around he left a perennial All Star and a top 10 pick. No, JR and Thompson are not at max contracts, not even remotely close to max contracts. Bad contract? Yeah, but nowhere near max.

He promised a title. Did he not deliver that to the people of Northeast Ohio? Nothing contrary to what he said.

People forget just how bad the roster was his first time around in CLE. Hell, in the finals his first time the next biggest offensive threat for the series was Boobie Freaking Gibson. When they tried to get him help, it brought aging vets beyond their prime like Jamison and Shaq, or duds like Larry Hughes.

It was clear at the time of his return and thereafter that the team was mortgaging the future for success in the now. That's exactly what happened and it got them an NBA championship. I don't get why some people are so disheartened by it.

Call Gilbert and tell him to return the trophy and take down the banner it was all just a sham. LMAO

The remaining roster isn't nearly as bad as the first time he left. Love is a 5x all-star who will be 30 this season. Sexton was a top-10 pick in a loaded draft, and "best case" has been compared to borderline all-star guys like Eric Bledsoe. A few of their expensive role players will be wanted by contending and salary dumping teams at the next two trade deadlines. They have way, way more to work a rebuild around out of the gate than they did the last time.

Next is Cousins,then Leonard next year.This year it will be Lebron,Cousins,Ingram,and Kuzma.

Then add Leonard next year.They will take down Golden State next year.

People forget just how bad the roster was his first time around in CLE. Hell, in the finals his first time the next biggest offensive threat for the series was Boobie Freaking Gibson. When they tried to get him help, it brought aging vets beyond their prime like Jamison and Shaq, or duds like Larry Hughes.

It was clear at the time of his return and thereafter that the team was mortgaging the future for success in the now. That's exactly what happened and it got them an NBA championship. I don't get why some people are so disheartened by it.

Yes and no ... to me both times were similar ... what hurt them both times is short term thinking ... going for trades/signings that made them better in the short term, but hurt them in the long run ... while I will agree that Cavs management made numerous bad decisions ... but you tend to do that when you have a gun pointed at your head ... LA Bron has never given the Cavs management time/ability to think in terms of long term ... his consistent pressure to win now was one of the major causes for some of there roster problems ... while it helped them be fairly successful, it was always made that success have an expiration date ... while I am thankful for great times it lead to ... I don’t like the blame being put solely on Dan Gilbert & the Cavs management (mostly by national media) ... LA Bron should shoulder some of the blame as well. IMO

Yes and no ... to me both times were similar ... what hurt them both times is short term thinking ... going for trades/signings that made them better in the short term, but hurt them in the long run ... while I will agree that Cavs management made numerous bad decisions ... but you tend to do that when you have a gun pointed at your head ... LA Bron has never given the Cavs management time/ability to think in terms of long term ... his consistent pressure to win now was one of the major causes for some of there roster problems ... while it helped them be fairly successful, it was always made that success have an expiration date ... while I am thankful for great times it lead to ... I don’t like the blame being put solely on Dan Gilbert & the Cavs management (mostly by national media) ... LA Bron should shoulder some of the blame as well. IMO

I don't disagree with that at all Joe, I just think some ignorant folks thought it would never end and now want to whine when the "bills are coming due."

Next is Cousins,then Leonard next year.This year it will be Lebron,Cousins,Ingram,and Kuzma.

Then add Leonard next year.They will take down Golden State next year.

The Lakers have spent about $86 million thus far ... which gives them only about $15 million left to sign FA ... not sure that is enough to get Cousins ... my bet is they give that amount to their own FA, Julius Randle ... he is healthy, Cousins is coming off a Achilles injury ... big risk.

Signing Leonard next year might be tough ... could be easier to trade for him this year ... if SA agrees!

I don't disagree with that at all Joe, I just think some ignorant folks thought it would never end and now want to whine when the "bills are coming due."

I agree ... I understood some anger the last time, I do feel he quit on the Cavs ... I have no anger this time ... I am thankful, but I’m a Cavs fan ... and will continue to root for them ... thus not for LA Bron.

I agree with this, for sure. The national meme is the Cavs ownership/front office just didn't do enough to get help for LBJ, when the local fans and media know why. His one year contracts, pressure to sign his pals to ridiculous contracts, alienating Kyrie (not really his fault, because Kyrie is a head case...but LBJ should have recognized that) are all the reasons why the situation was always so disjointed.

Even if we assume they had to trade Kyrie(in reality, I think the play was to try and call his bluff, could always trade him later. He wasn't going to sit out 2 consecutive years) then valuing Thomas was incredibly stupid. Anyone should have been able to see he was a product of Stevens' system considering he was the same player, but had no success in any of his other stops around the league.

That trade made their chief conference rival a whole lot better, and got Cleveland essentially nothing in return unless Sexton pans out.

It's part of a pattern of this team being completely unable to identify talent. The only quality guys they acquire are when they fall right into their laps.

Excluding the fall into your lap guys, their last 4 1st rd picks are: Anthony Bennett ; Sergey Karasev ; Dion Waiters ; Jared Cunningham

If they had Oladipo or Lillard(both were ranked higher that the guys the Cavs drafted) things might be a lot different.

Not being able to identify talent has nothing to do with Lebron, and everything to do with Gilbert and the people he chooses to hire.

Rondo to the Lakers. This is going to be the greatest show in the world.

Sidenote: I can't wait till the Cavs have the #1 pick in four years, take Bron Jr and then everyone in Cleveland celebrates Lebron coming home to play with his son before retirement.

Eh, I think Kyrie had to go when they shipped him out. Obviously, a damaged Isaiah Thomas was a crappy return that should have been somewhat anticipated. I don't know of better could have been had by waiting, but they had a toxic situation that needed to be remedied for a "win now" team.

Circumstantially, with their deadline deal they effectively ended up with Sexton, Hood, Clarkson and Nance for Irving. Hood was having a good year for a surprising Jazz team before ending up on the pine in Cleveland.

The Irving trade in a couple years may be accurately described as both the death blow of the LeBron era and the beginning of a new chapter with Sexton (pending development) and Hood (pending retention) as two key pieces of a developing core.