Big Moe vs. Gilman

birdog

Who ya got? Gillman returns a stable of starters (13) from last years state championship team. MIAA class A. I believe that equates to a D 2 team here in Ohio, but not sure. They feature a Tebow like QB, a southpaw that is more of a run threat than pass. Their schedule includes teams like DeMatha and Good Counsel so it can be said that they schedule good opponents. Have to wonder how the travel will affect them.

Moe returns a good number of skill on offense including most of their offensive line. Wide receivers seem to be more possession type receivers than deep threats at this point. Not to worry though, the offense does not typically rely on deep routes by wide receivers. Running game should be excellent with Iacovone and Watkins (when healthy). Moe has a capable back up QB in Gus Ragland who will also see time at wide receiver. New defensive scheme will take time to perfect. Shane Jones is the real deal at LB. Much better at DB position than in the past. I believe the DB's have more size and are more physical. Special teams are solid. All in all I can see them at 8-2 or 7-3 based on no breathers this go round. I look for a 2-4 seed in the final Harbins and could make a deep playoff run. We shall see. Moe has seen this kind of talent before and the addition of quality coaches on both sides of the ball should be a plus.

I'm a little nervous about this one. Gillman is ranked #9 nationally according to the Max Prep Freeman ratings. Their quarterback is first team on the preseason all-state team (going to Maryland), along with their linebacker (going to Virginia) and d-lineman (5 star recruit and going to Michigan). Moeller's defense is what worries me at this point. They have not looked good the last two weeks. It's been the run that has killed them both weeks and it sounds like Gillman's offense is a run oriented system. Whether it's just going to take time to learn the scheme or they don't have the players to be dominant....who knows? Hopefully, they gel quickly this week because Gillman seems to be the real deal. I think Moe's offense will be fine and may have to put up a lot of points to win the game. The receivers need to be consistent and hold on to the ball. Watkins is a playmaker and looked good in the scrimmage against WW. I think this will be a high scoring game and hopefully Moeller comes out on top.

Who ya got? Gillman returns a stable of starters (13) from last years state championship team. MIAA class A. I believe that equates to a D 2 team here in Ohio, but not sure. They feature a Tebow like QB, a southpaw that is more of a run threat than pass. Their schedule includes teams like DeMatha and Good Counsel so it can be said that they schedule good opponents. Have to wonder how the travel will affect them.

Moe returns a good number of skill on offense including most of their offensive line. Wide receivers seem to be more possession type receivers than deep threats at this point. Not to worry though, the offense does not typically rely on deep routes by wide receivers. Running game should be excellent with Iacovone and Watkins (when healthy). Moe has a capable back up QB in Gus Ragland who will also see time at wide receiver. New defensive scheme will take time to perfect. Shane Jones is the real deal at LB. Much better at DB position than in the past. I believe the DB's have more size and are more physical. Special teams are solid. All in all I can see them at 8-2 or 7-3 based on no breathers this go round. I look for a 2-4 seed in the final Harbins and could make a deep playoff run. We shall see. Moe has seen this kind of talent before and the addition of quality coaches on both sides of the ball should be a plus.

Maryland has separate Public/Private divisions. They have no private playoffs. Winning MIAA Class A is no different than winning the GCL. I believe Gilman is the equivalent of a D1 school in Ohio

Here is some info on Gilman
http://www.varsitysportsnetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

Off the Maryland boards:

The consensus from others is that Gillman will beat Moe,they have a Maryland commit at QB, a great WR in Locksley, a great running back. They also have the best defensive line in history, I hope Moe can keep it close.
The one thing in Moe's favor is that they seem to be looking ahead to Don Bosco the next week. There isn't one poster thinking Moe can hang with Gillman.

The info on the Maryland board doesn't suprise me. I mean, I would never vote against my own team either. They are ranked a little higher than Moe on a couple poles. But, Moes playing in their own neighborhood. Gillman has some D1 recruits, but so does Moe. Going to be a good game. I think Moe will have its defense worked out by then. Im taking Moe by 7. There. I said it. Lol

Both of my sons went to Gilman. I was involved with the program for a while when they were there. The MIAA is a private school league. Most of the talent in the Baltimore and DC areas goes to private schools. Since the MIAA schools are not part of the Maryland public school organization, they recruit openly (But not from each other.). There are three divisions in the MIAA. Gilman plays in the top division, and that's the division where the best football is played. The top teams in the MIAA -- Gilman, Calvert Hall, Loyola -- would all be competitive against the better programs in Ohio. I'd anticipate a very good game between Gilman and Moeller. Here is a link to a story and video from Gilman's scrimmage against St. John's of the WCAC (DC area private school league). http://www.varsitysportsnetwork.com...-unit-dominates&catid=32:sub-feature&Itemid=2

After spending 20 years in the Baltimore area, I had the chance to see Gilman play a number of times. I believe when it comes to enrollment, Gilman would be about a D3 by Ohio standards. However, their first team can play with probably any team anyplace, including Ohio's top teams. The problem they have that I've seen is depth. Once you get past their starters, they usually have a hard time matching up with teams with depth. They're well-coached and disciplined. They'll play smart football.

I don't know, what I saw at Walnut was not impressive. Moe's defense was pretty much do whatever to let Shane Jones make the play and their offensive line was handled by Walnut's 4 big guys. Are they good? Without a doubt. Are they the best team in Ohio going into the season? I doubt it.

Oh, ye of little faith. Big Moe will pull it together. Defensive changes, a couple new coaches. All takes a little to get adjusted. As somebody pointed out, Gillman doesn't look too deep. When you're in a dogfight, and start getting in the deep water late in the game that can hurt you. My prediction? Tight, fast game 1st half. Moe shines 2nd half and celebrates with a few cases of chili dogs. Should be a good game.

Gillman has 465 boys in 9-12; that would be around 353 for 9-11; so by Ohio classification; they would be div2.

Moe*Town Tailgate info...all are welcome!

http://storage1.ihigh.com/d.php?tok...VWSVNFRC5wZGYiLCJtaW1ldHlwZSI6IjIifQ,,&view=1

Go Big Moe!

The Members of the Moeller Football Alumni Network will provide unwavering support and unconditional belief in Moeller High School and the Moeller Football program. As a group, we agree to adhere to the philosophies and standards of Moeller High School. We also agree to assist in development, support, guidance, outreach, and leadership to help provide a sustainable, first class experience for the players, coaches, parents, fans, alumni and administration of Moeller High School.

I was told by a friend about you guys thread about the game. I'm a Gilman grad and have a freshman at the school(he will be on JV this year). A couple of things you guys have wrong about Gilman.

Gilman could play with any team in Ohio. They wouldn't be in a lower division. Gilman is an elite program and getting much better. The school has new a conscience effort to be a Top program Nationally. They don't play DeMatha anymore because DeMatha's coaching staff now works at Gilman, including their former head coach. What the one poster said about Gilman's depth was true years ago, no longer! This team is LOADED with D1 talent, not just some. The issue is they are a little young. But this team will have upwards of 20 guys play D1 football. The senior class has 3 committs right now, 4-5 star Michigan Recruit DT Henry Poggi, 4 star on some services(and best D player on the team) Virginia commit LB Micah Kiser and Elite 11 QB Shane Cockerille. But there are also 3 other seniors with offers. They also have another who will have high D1 offers, he started 2 years ago but failed out of the school. He went to his local public school, didn't play football for a eat to get back into Gilman. He is a monster. A little rusty though.

But Gilman's underclassmen are the real special ones. The front 7 on D is one of the best front 7 is the nation, with all 7 being D1 players. One of them might not play against Moeller though because of a concussion. Also might be without another defensive starter.

Gilman is VERY fast, very well coached and full of athletes. I don't think Moeller has the athletes to beat Gilman. Gilman has a 6'3 230 LB/DE junior Melvin Keihn who runs a legit 4.5 forty. He is considered one of the best players in the Class of 2014 nationally. He is going to be a nightmare for Moeller's line and QB. Of Gilman loses this game, it will be because of offensive play calling. The head coach vetoes plays and can be stubborn. If they mix it up, Gilman wins. Wait until you see Gilman's Sophomore WR Kai Locksley! Wow is all I can say. Can't wait until Sunday!

Geeze. A little defensive aren't we? Lol That's ok, we really ennjoyed the scouting report and info on who to key on. :D looking forward to Sunday also. Bring some crab cakes to go wiith our coneys, would ya?

:grouphug: Ready? BREAK!

Gilman is ranked second behind Good Counsel in the Baltimore Sun preseason poll.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...1_1_calvert-hall-seneca-valley-quince-orchard

I wouldn't read too much into a scrimmage victory over St. John's, because St. John's isn't generally that good.

I saw Gilman's game against Good Counsel last year in person at the Naval Academy, and I agree with the Tebow comparisons for their QB. He's a lot more dangerous scrambling and running the ball than he is throwing it.

Also, the MIAA has playoffs now, just like the WCAC. So, both the MIAA and the WCAC play a round robin regular season, and then have a seeded playoffs with a championship game now.

Gilman beat Calvert Hall last year for the MIAA-A playoff championship last year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/explore...an-calvert-hall-1123-20111119,0,1599799.story

Geeze. A little defensive aren't we? Lol That's ok, we really ennjoyed the scouting report and info on who to key on. :D looking forward to Sunday also. Bring some crab cakes to go wiith our coneys, would ya?

:grouphug: Ready? BREAK!

I wasn't defensive at all. Just clarifying some things. If your coaches are worth half their weight, they would know all about Gilman. Because I promise you, Gilman knows all about Moeller and have plenty of tape. Ohio needs this victory big time, they have been taking some serious hits the last few years!

Gilman is ranked second behind Good Counsel in the Baltimore Sun preseason poll.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...1_1_calvert-hall-seneca-valley-quince-orchard

I wouldn't read too much into a scrimmage victory over St. John's, because St. John's isn't generally that good.

I saw their game against Good Counsel last year in person at the Naval Academy, and I agree with the Tebow comparisons for their QB. He's a lot more dangerous scrambling and running the ball than he is throwing it.

Also, the MIAA has playoffs now, just like the WCAC. So, both the MIAA and the WCAC play a round robin regular season, and then have a seeded playoffs with a championship game now.

Gilman beat Calvert Hall last year for the MIAA-A playoff championship last year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/explore...an-calvert-hall-1123-20111119,0,1599799.story

St. Johns talent wise is the 2nd best team in the DC area behind Good Counsel. They are loaded. They are also very big with a lot of speed, more speed than Good Counsel actually. Their issue is discipline and some say coaching. They also play almost the exact same offense as Moeller. Which is the reason Gilman scrimmaged them last.

I guess you guys didn't see Gilman's QB in the Elite 11? I think your going to be in for a rude awakening come Sunday if you think he's a Tebow QB.

St. Johns talent wise is the 2nd best team in the DC area behind Good Counsel. They are loaded. They are also very big with a lot of speed, more speed than Good Counsel actually. Their issue is discipline and some say coaching. They also play almost the exact same offense as Moeller. Which is the reason Gilman scrimmaged them last.
I saw DeMatha in a scrimmage already. DeMatha is going to give St. John's a massive beat down. So, there's no way they could be the second best team in the DC area. They aren't even the second best team in the WCAC. They'll be lucky to finish fourth, because Gonzaga is probably still better than them anyway.

I guess you guys didn't see Gilman's QB in the Elite 11? I think your going to be in for a rude awakening come Sunday if you think he's a Tebow QB.
I think that Elite 11 stuff is mostly garbage. It's a glorified version of a Madden video game on a practice field, which has nothing to do with a real football game.
People read way too much into that nonsense.

I know what I saw the kid do in a real football game (you know, the real thing where you actually keep an official score) against Good Counsel last year.

I saw DeMatha in a scrimmage already. DeMatha is going to give St. John's a massive beat down. So, there's no way they could be the second best team in the DC area. They aren't even the second best team in the WCAC. They'll be lucky to finish fourth, because Gonzaga is probably still better than them anyway.

I think that Elite 11 stuff is mostly garbage. It's a glorified version of a Madden video game on a practice field, which has nothing to do with a real football game.
People read way too much into that nonsense.

I know what I saw the kid do in a real football game (you know, the real thing where you actually keep an official score) against Good Counsel last year.

Didn't say that St. Johns was the 2nd best team, they have the 2nd most talent. To might want to read again. I also think St. Johns finishes fourth but it isn't because of talent.

If you saw the GC game then you saw him has 2 passing TD's and one rushing Td. And that was last year his first year ever starting at QB. Different year, different player.

This conversation is reminding me of all the talk from/about that dogcrap team from Delaware last season.
Actually, I do think this Gilman team is much better than that preposterous fly-by-night Red Lion outfit. However, it seems some folks get caught up in that DI college recruit hype nonsense.

I always chuckle when I see the "We have X number of DI recruits, therefore we're gonna win" silliness. They seem to forget that football is a team sport where 11 guys have to execute on every play.

This conversation is reminding me of all the talk from/about that dogcrap team from Delaware last season.

You might want to do some research on Gilman before comparing them to Red Lion. A different world. This is a team that has finished in the Top 25 Nationally multiple times in the last 15 years. This is a team that is every bit as good as Good Counsel this year(actually almost every year). You remember what GC did to X two years ago right? Guess who they played the week after that, Gilman. Guess what the score was, 28-7 GILMAN!

So if you feel they are like Red Lion, I assume that Moeller should beat them by what, 3 TD's.

Didn't say that St. Johns was the 2nd best team, they have the 2nd most talent. To might want to read again.
Give me a break. You were trying to build them up as something special to try to build up Gilman. I've seen them play, and they're not very good at all. The WCAC is DeMatha & Good Counsel, and that's it. A "win" in a scrimmage over St. John's is utterly meaningless.

Actually, I do think this Gilman team is much better than that preposterous fly-by-night Red Lion outfit. However, it seems some folks get caught up in that DI college hype nonsense.

I always chuckle when I see the "We have X number of DI recruits, therefore we're gonna win" silliness. They seem to forget that football is a team sport where 11 guys have to execute on every play.

All of those D1 recruits were certainly unstoppable in the 2009 championship game, weren't they. :)

Actually, I do think this Gilman team is much better than that preposterous fly-by-night Red Lion outfit. However, it seems some folks get caught up in that DI college hype nonsense.

Gilman would have beat Red Lion by 3 TD's last year! You know nothing about Gilman nor Maryland football by saying this.

So tell me what can the Gilman folks expect to lose by this weekend?

Gilman would have beat Red Lion by 3 TD's last year! You know nothing about Gilman nor Maryland football by saying this.

So tell me what can the Gilman folks expect to lose by this weekend?
...and you had the nerve to question my reading comprehension? You must be kidding me.