Players stil playing who will one day be HOF

TroyTrojan05

I always have this debate with ppl close to me that really know baseball. I'm interested in getting your guys opinion on who you think will one day be in the hall of fame. I'm assuming the steroid guys wont get in so you can leave them out.

My list

Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Albert Pujols, Omar Vizquel, Chipper Jones, Roy Halladay, Ichiro, Jim Thome

Guys with work left to do, but if they hit certain milestones they could too

Paul Konerko, Andy Pettite, Johnny Damon, Todd Helton, CC Sabathia, Michael Young, David Ortiz, Scott Rolen, Vlad Guerrero(not retired but no team), Adam Dunn, Andruw Jones(dont disount GG's)

Young folks who may get in when career is done

Josh Hamilton, Ryan Braun(lets see how HGH turns out), Prince Fielder, Matt Kemp, Joey Votto, Adrian Gonzalez, Miguel Cabrera, Dustin Pedroia, Hanley Ramirez, Justin Verlander, Clayton Kershaw

*I'm sure I'm missing some ppl, but I will add and subtract from list momentarily

Tim Lincecum is probably the youngest name that I'd feel confident in saying that he'll get in.

4× All-Star (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
World Series Champion (2010)
3× NL Strikeout Champion (2008, 2009, 2010)
2× NL Cy Young Award (2008, 2009)

If he pitches 15 total seasons injury free, then he'd likely be top 10 in most K's in a career (he averages 225.4/season). If he matches Nolan Ryan's career length of 27 years (highly unlikely), he'd be on pace for over 6,000 K's which would shatter Ryan's record.

All of this with being just 27 years old.

This is as close to a sure-bet HOF guy under 30 y/o IMO (Verlander as well)

Was A-Rod intentionally left off?

No way does Dunn get in.

Also, where would you put Lance Berkman? I assume he was overlooked.

Todd Helton and Scott Rolen are locks. Vlad Guerrero probably too.

LMAO at Adam Dunn even being mentioned. I assume that was a joke. No way Konerko has any chance either. :laugh:

I do think Helton and Rolen are locks. Helton has been one of the best hitters over the past 15 or 20 years and right in the middle of the steroid era. Rolen has been one of the better 3rd baseman in the history of the game.

Adam Dunn is not laughable. He is only 32 and still has 4 or 5 years of putting up solid numbers. He will have 400 hr's by the end of the year this year. Then, if he avgs just 25-30 for 4 or 5 years, he will have over 500! And 500 is a lock in all accounts. And as far as Vizquel, he has 11 GG, almost 2900 hits, 1400 runs, 400 sb and he still plays. Konerko has 401 hrs. If he plays another 4 or 5 years he may get 500, again thats a lock. I left off the obvious steroid guys like I said in my first post which includes Arod, Manny, etc.

500 just seems like a lock because the guys who have hit 500 are actually really good and were going to get in regardless if they hit 400 or 500+.

HOF home run precedents will change with the times. 400 HR's was once automatic, but Dave Kingman hit 441 HR's and was the first of the 400+ to be denied the HOF...and rightfully so. 500 is no longer automatic, and players like Dunn and Konerko will never make the HOF...even with over 500 HR's. Even as an Indians fan, I do not look at Jim Thome as an HOFer, even with over 600 HR's. I know he'll get in, but I never thought of him as one of the elite players in the game at any point of his career. I'd be more likely to vote for players like Dick Allen or Jim Rice, who did have a stretch of their careers where they were considered among the very best in the game.

I would like to add Felix Hernandez to my list and Tim Lincecum for guys who are intriguing if they play 15 years. One has 1 Cy Young and one has 2. Not to mention both only in their mid 20's and still have plenty of prime years left. Not saying hall right now, but def on the right track. Only thing about Felix is he's on bad team so he may not have the numbers, but his ERA and K's speak for themselves.

Your right Bearcatfan, you are a baseball historian and a baseball analyst, so me hearing Tim Kurkjian and Buster Olney say hes a future HOF player means nothing. They don't have any credibility and you have it all. Google Adam Dunn making HOF, and believe me you and all of your friends on here bashing him and me, might get a shock of what MOST ppl think. Name 1 player who has hit 500 or more HR, without roids, and is eligible for hall of fame who is not in. Dunn will get 500, prob 600. Who cares he bats 260 or 240. I dont care if he hit 180. But again, with you being a hall of fame voter, you saying he has a zero percent chance, well I guess i got my answer.

Your right Bearcatfan, you are a baseball historian and a baseball analyst, so me hearing Tim Kurkjian and Buster Olney say hes a future HOF player means nothing. They don't have any credibility and you have it all. Google Adam Dunn making HOF, and believe me you and all of your friends on here bashing him and me, might get a shock of what MOST ppl think. Name 1 player who has hit 500 or more HR, without roids, and is eligible for hall of fame who is not in. Dunn will get 500, prob 600. Who cares he bats 260 or 240. I dont care if he hit 180. But again, with you being a hall of fame voter, you saying he has a zero percent chance, well I guess i got my answer.

:laugh:

When you google "Adam Dunn hof" the first few things that pop up say either "no" or "maybe, if he keeps his numbers up", and those articles were written before his woeful 2011 season.

Baseball HOF is very exclusive. Guys like Dunn, Konerko, McGriff and by my measure Thome, have never been considered among the elite hitters of their time at any point in their careers. Thome will likely make it anyway, but it will take a while. The other three will never make it. There are still so many players who had significant careers, and were considered the best in the game for a decent part of their careers, that are not in the HOF. Those players should get in before guys like Dunn are even considered.

What does Adam Dunn do well besides hit home runs? He doesn't have a high batting average, strikes out a lot, and doesn't play good defense. Just because he hits a lot of home runs doesn't mean he's going to go down as one of the best players in baseball history, which is what the Hall of Fame is for.