D2 swimming

ErikTheFly

I feel that d2 swimming is very much over looked our state champions are usually faster then d1s and although winning the state meet is a great thing it doesn't really matter to colleges they won't give you a schoolship because your team won. A lot of very fast swimmers are over looked because they don't belong to a big swim school. Any thought or comments. This year is going to be another great year for Ohio swimming and I can't wait to see some of the times that we will be putting out looming forward to competing at the state meet.

If it was stilled big state meet like it was a few years ago, think of how hard it would be for kids to even qualify. Also to be an individual state champ you still have to beat EVERYONE and yes that does mean both divisions. D2 doesn't get overlooked as much as you might think. University would have won state and everyone knows it.

University would have won state and everyone knows it.

Actually, swimmeet.com scored a combined meet last year with the following results:

1 Toledo St. Francis De Sales D1 198
2 University D2 151
3 Cincinnati St. Xavier D1 133
4 Centerville D1 118
5 Upper Arlington D1 113

yeah although university is has fast swimmers they dont have the depth that D1 schools do and I wouldnt mind swimming in D1 because i really dont have any competiton because the only kid that would of been a semi decent race to me got moved to d1 (samual Decker) I Think they should of kept it I division because it made it so the best of the best where at the state meet and not just anyone because now we have a lot of kids that are auto qualifing that really shouldnt be there because they have a slow district.

I wouldnt mind swimming in D1 because i really dont have any competiton because the only kid that would of been a semi decent race to me got moved to d1 (samual Decker) I Think they should of kept it I division because it made it so the best of the best where at the state meet and not just anyone because now we have a lot of kids that are auto qualifing that really shouldnt be there because they have a slow district.

I might suggest reconsidering this post Erik. College coaches do their research and this statement does not really paint a flattering picture of a good sport or a team player. You're a talented swimmer, let your performances make the statement.

Well said

Thanks PReeder, I was amazed reading it!

In college D1 swimming what coaches are looking for and what matters is 1. How fast you are not your High School team 2. your grades and test scores proving you have the ability to handle the academics if you are marginal you may struggle in their view Ultimately you will have to prove that you can handle the full time job that swimming and academics are, it is difficult to always be eat sleep swim 24/7 if you have high aspirations. You will also need to get along with your teammates and that normally means humility is best learned/practiced before you enter college.

Last edited:
2. your grades and test scores proving you have the ability to handle the academics if you are marginal you may struggle in their view Ultimately you will have to prove that you can handle the full time job that swimming and academics are, it is difficult to always be eat sleep swim 24/7 if you have high aspirations. You will also need to get along with your teammates and that normally means humility is best learned/practiced before you enter college.

I think that you make some great points that I might try to tie back to D2 vs D1 high schools. You can not overlook the academic side of the scholar athlete scenario. Great swim times will get you noticed and recruited, great grades and test scores will get you into a college and keep you eligible to compete. I can not image that there is a college coach who does not look at your times, test scores and high school coarse work when evaluating you for a position on their team. Some of the best high schools in Ohio academically may also be smaller D2. Some of the D1 private high schools place >90% of their graduates into college. We are personally right in the middle of a D1 swimmer learning the challenges of carrying a full course load in a difficult major, swimming full time, traveling to meets while dealing with first time room mates, laundry and getting some sleep in during the week.

Look at what it takes to gain admission into OSU now, a public university. A 25 ACT composite is borderline. How about Northwestern, 30 ACT to be in the 25% of admissions. OR, a good swim school Auburn, a 26 is the 50% admission score.

I stay very humble and the only two colleges that I am considering are arizona and auburn I know what it takes to be a college level swimmer I am training to make the olympic team and I do nothing but swim and school I have tutors the best sports psychologist in the country (Rayma Sommers) she is the develpoer of optimal focus and a massage theripist an olympic coach and a dedicated support team and community to push me along I wouldnt be where I am today with out all of the people in my life or the teammates around me and I was not trying to put anybody down or be arrongent i was just trying to say that i feel that the state meet is not what it used to be I remember being in 8th grade and everyone of the highschoolers talking about what a great thing it was to make the state meet because we had to beat all these big d1 schools and i wanted to be apart of that i feel like I make the state team and I'm lower then d1 even though i am faster I just wish i could swim against them as well. I keep my self humble as hard as it is and i used to struggle with that but since my swimming and grades have become my top goal a lot has changed I appreciate the advice. I will make Ohio proud as i move on.

Good Job!

Eric you are clearly talented and will make a name for yourself beyond high school swimming. Your focus and goals are excellent and we all are cheering for you to meet them!

Here is one perspective to consider as you move toward February...Enjoy this time you have in the High School swimming environment even with the fact that the competition is divided. There are few venues in swimming outside the olympic trials where the meet has an atmosphere like the Ohio state high school meet. There is rampant crazy cheering and people dressing up to support their teams. It is about as close as swimming comes to football in many respects. You will experience Olympic trials and other big meets as you go on and the competition is not divided into groups as you know. The NCAA meet is also an excellent meet with an atmosphere that is second to none.

Right now your training is solid and well advised. you will swim at a top Div 1 school with your talent...This will be the last time in your life when you are limited to competing in just two individual events in a big meet. With that can come disappointment... but also something very cool. You will not be very tired for or during this meet, unlike your USA/Olympic qualifiers where you swim many events in many prelims/semis/finals format. The pressure in this USA format is tremendous and the endurance required for such is unique. You are young now and this will likely not be a problem. If you remain passionate about the sport, you can swim for decades as a sprinter and the grueling training required and the toll it will take on your body will not be as easy as it is for the next few years. So for now, consider this state meet a time to really enjoy swimming in a way that you will not be able to do in the future. Soak in the atmosphere, relish the competition, give back to the sport by your behavior on deck as everyone is watching you. You may never know who you inspire on the deck or in the stands but you will inspire. Someday you may receive the gift of a swimmer coming up to you to tell you about when they saw you swim, what it meant to them, and what they did with that inspiration. For many this experience is one of the greatest gifts a swimmer or coach can receive.

As you move on with your goals, take time to live a life with fun in it and find things outside of swimming that you are passionate about too. Good Luck and I am glad that you are choosing to compete in high school swimming this year!

Last edited:
yes I am able to say that people have told me how i inspire them and it was one of the best moments of my life because it was then that i realized that god has given me and extraordinary gift and I can use it to show his glory. The highschool stat meet is such a great meet and is really the only reason i returned to highschool swimming this year I am not a big fan of what high school swimming in our area has become and it is a rough time for our time and i enjoy USA swimming so very much all the traveling and the different stages. I Will keep all you have said in mind as I go own with my training and my road to London. I am sure that god has given me the ability to make the team this year and achieve something that has never been done in the history of swimming and I am changing the rules of sprinting as i do it with a turn over rate of 140 in the 50freestyle and a recovery time of less then .06 I just did a DVD shoot with Gary Hall down in the florida keys and ever since I made this commitment to give everything i had to swimming and making the olympic team I have seen so much and I have grown into an adult and although people tell you not to grow up to fast I had to become a professional in my mind set of swimming in order to achieve what my goals are and at first it felt like i was all alone because nobody understood what i was doing and nobody at my age does this i have given up all things that go along with being a 17 year old but i then realized that I have a whole team of people that understand me and that are supporting me. Thank you again for all the advise and I will listen to it all.

I just did a DVD shoot with Gary Hall down in the florida keys

You can not accept any type of compensation for this; not money, travel expenses, discounted fees, anything or you may have an NCAA violation on your hands. I hope that you signed a release for being under 18 as well.

Yup we sure did and I'm only get a copy of the DVD I didn't do it for money or anything just to help out Gary and he wanted to show me off a little bit. We are very carful because when you on too everyone wants to see you fall and they will use whatever they can to get you in trouble. And Gary is a very close friend and coach so he is always making sure we are being safe and so does my sports pyschologist who was also Gary hall jr. Sport psychogist.

Word dude, those haters will always be trying to tear you down. They're probably big meanies from D1.

Seriously, get a grip. Do your training and let your swims take care of themselves. I can thankfully say I don't know many people who tell me that they inspire people. You're a friggin high school swimmer, not Gandhi--even if you are "changing the rules."

The reason preeder spends a paragraph about life as a student-athlete is because from your many posts, you seem to have the intellectual capacity of a garden hose. That's the only possible excuse I can lend you to defend your apparent arrogance. You're welcome to start a revolution in swim training. Now why don't you shut up and be done with it.

Word dude, those haters will always be trying to tear you down. They're probably big meanies from D1.

Seriously, get a grip. Do your training and let your swims take care of themselves. I can thankfully say I don't know many people who tell me that they inspire people. You're a friggin high school swimmer, not Gandhi--even if you are "changing the rules."

The reason preeder spends a paragraph about life as a student-athlete is because from your many posts, you seem to have the intellectual capacity of a garden hose. That's the only possible excuse I can lend you to defend your apparent arrogance. You're welcome to start a revolution in swim training. Now why don't you shut up and be done with it.[/QUOT

What is the sense in using correct grammar on a website? Who cares? except for you I really do not and D1 or D2 means nothing to me and wont mean anything to my relay team either. Just watch and see what happens this season. I don't need to argue with you or anybody else on here I do let my swimming do my talking and im not on here getting mad at people for calling me slow or anything i argue about the sport of swimming and even that is silly. I might be a high school swimmer but what I am doing is far above that. And yes people look up to me and I have inspired many people have you every heard of people looking up to others? it doesnt matter if Im in highschool or not. Enjoy the season :) because I am just getting started and I have another year to go :)

I'm not worried about grammar. If I was, I would have complained about your confusion of "there" and "their," your pronoun-antecedent agreement, and your subject-verb disagreement. I am only concerned with comprehending what you write. When you write long, run-on sentences without any punctuation, all the words run together and it becomes impossible to understand. No one does care about grammar. Typically though, people do write on yappi with the intent to be understood. If this is not your goal, more power to you--continue to write as awkwardly and clumsily as you please.

You are absolutely right. You don't need to argue with anyone. You did over some of your training techniques but you don't need to. I'm glad you are taking my suggestion to get off yappi and let your swimming do the talking. You can do a lot worse than heeding my advice. I agree too. Even though you are discussing and focusing on swimming and you are currently in high school, your activity transcends every other high school swimmer. Who knows how, but you have certainly convinced me. Put in a good word with Jesus for me.

I grew up in the Nortwest Ohio district and even swam meets against Lima Shawnee. I have been in the Cleveland area for the past 25 years. Since Erikthefly started spouting his mouth I made some calls to people still involved in swimming in the NW district. Everyone of them agreed, good swimmer, bad attitude. So Erik, just to let you know, your reputation is not the greatest to say the least. Most of what was said can not be written on this forum. As others have said, shut your mouth and prove yourself in the pool. Just because people dont train like you doesn't make them wrong.

Well idk what your talking about becaus I am loved in my community and many people like me in the swimming people I have never had a problem with anybody. And I was not saying that if you aren't training like me that your wrong I was just saying that swimming is changing and the way the top teams in the country are training is not the same as it used to be. I have the aditude of a sprinter so when I get into the pool and behind the blocks I'm the best and nobody can beat no matter who they are and that is the way that any sport psychologist will tell you to think and mine has told me several times that you've got to be able to walk the walk and talk the talk. Sorry if that is offensive. But also most anyone you talk to will tell you that I have changed my aditude a lot since my freshmen year. I was very cocky I will admitt. Since then I have become humble. I do have my moments of cockiness if that's even a word but I make sure to catch myself. Once again this will be a great year for Ohio swimming and I'm excited to swim at canton. I will actually get to swim there next week for the north east classic pretty excited. Also does anyone know I'd they take a state record if it is broken outside of the state meet?

state records can be set at any meet... the state tournament and state meet records are separate. i believe kate mcneilis set the girls 100 back state record at the ned reeb meet in december a few years ago, has a state meet record and a state tournament record all at different places and dates

state records can be set at any meet... the state tournament and state meet records are separate. i believe kate mcneilis set the girls 100 back state record at the ned reeb meet in december a few years ago, has a state meet record and a state tournament record all at different places and dates

Ok thank you very helpful

Erik, do you get high before you post on this site? You make no sense. I have been swimming for years and I have never heard of somebody having to double tap an electronic touch pad. Also, can you please have Gary Hall or your phycologist proof read your posts? If you are going to use bad grammar the least you can do is be consistent with it. Sentences do not start with "and" and the word "your" shows possession. I beleive you are thinking of "you're" which means you are. Also, the word is attitude, not aditude.

Erik, do you get high before you post on this site? You make no sense. I have been swimming for years and I have never heard of somebody having to double tap an electronic touch pad. Also, can you please have Gary Hall or your phycologist proof read your posts? If you are going to use bad grammar the least you can do is be consistent with it. Sentences do not start with "and" and the word "your" shows possession. I beleive you are thinking of "you're" which means you are. Also, the word is attitude, not aditude.

yeah you never had to double tap a pad because you were never faster then the pad. When they set the pads so they do not register untill after a certain time of starting that way during a fly over the person getting out doesnt hit the pad and mess up the clock and I hit the pad at 19.80 and they had it set to 20 seconds and it did not stop when I hit it so I had to hit it again so it would stop and it messed up everyone elses splits onmy relay because I went first. I also know that this was the case because the people incharge of that timeing system told my coach they would change it after prelims because It did the same thing but they didn't. Does that make sense? Also I was on my iphone so the spell check is always messing things up. But like I have said time after time after time just enjoy the season. You can think what you want but what I say is all factual and you can believe what you want but my sources are some of the best and most reliable so I stand by them.

From my own experience with timing systems, I have seen the clock stop before 20 seconds. Furthermore, how did you get that time? Especially if you never hit the pad. Don't say your coach got it for you because he was probably on the other side of the pool watching. A finger cannot compare to an electronic touch pad.

On another note, you sound like a very pompous person. Saying and acting like you are humble are two very different thing. If your mom was to get on this site would she approve of your behavior or would you be put in time out, Grounded from your precious swimming.

I also hope you can make a career out of swimming because this whole grammar and thinking thing does not seem like your style, so I am encouraging you to continue swimming because it is probably going to be the only part of your life that will bring you success.

I think your statement would make more sense if you properly used words. You should have said "you were never faster than the pad." The word "then" is used to show a point in time while "than" is used for a comparison.

Erik I am seriously wondering if there is someone impersonating you trying to make you look bad. If it is in fact you, I don't think I have ever met anyone more arrogant. Sorry if that's insulting, but I can't help but laugh when someone claims they are humble...slight oxymoron, no? Not to mention the fact that you claim that you have soo much trouble being so humble. Like others have said, let your swimming do the talking. Go out and beat your competition, and once that happens, go out and beat better competition. But don't discount that competition, don't go around talking about how hard it is to be humble since you are so great, and don't go around dissing other coach's training. If you are truly better, you will win, but you don't have to make a bunch of enemies along the way. Although you are a very good swimmer, there are A LOT of swimmers who are better than you. You have access to a sports psychologist and also one of the best sprinters in the world, something the vast majority of high schoolers don't have. Once these people you're racing against have access to more personalized training (if they go on to swim in college), or even if they have a break out season, they might make you eat your words that you do not have any real competition in the state meet.

Nope my coach did not get that time 4 other coaches did and so did the two timmers. Also the pads were set that way I'm not saying all pads are like that but at this meet they probably didn't expect anyone to be that fast. But whatever none of you know me if you did I can promise you that you would be saying other wise google my name with swimming after it and read my interviews you will get a much better perspective. I am extremely passionate for the sport of swimming and how I train and what I believe to be changing in the sport so sorry that I come off arrogant I really am not but I'm not very good at typing or writing my thoughts with out them coming out bad. I take all critasisuim as a lesson. Also to the guy that wants to call me a idiot I would like you to know that I got a 23 the first time I took the act so I may not be a genius but I'm not stupid. Thank you all for any and all of the tips. Guys state team will be at te northeastern classic this weekend I am very very excited to swim at that meet make sure you all check out our relays.

Josh Fleagle is a swimmer for Auglizer YMCA and recently committed to Ohio State. He is suppose to be a junior but he is home schooled. I really wish he swam high school because he would really give you a run for your money.