2010-2011 Southwest Ohio Projections

I was at some of the Mason Middle school games last year, and Mariemont happened to be one of them. I was completely blown away by their 8th graders, now Freshman players. They had one exceptional attackman and a very good defense. Espeiclly their goalie and one of their longpoles. The only thing they seemed to lack were middies. I was suprised Mason lost to them. Also, i believe Mariemont did very well in the Middle school D1 State Championship, losing to Hastings. THat was a good game, they did better than us Comets did. Do you think any of the MHS Freshman are going to impact this season, or any Freshman from other schools. There is a brilliant squad of Freshman coming into the Cincinnati area. Who do you think will make a difference?

I really dont think many freshman will have an impact on teams this year.
Plus Mariemont really never puts freshmen on varsity even if they are really good. They usually keep them on JV

I really dont think many freshman will have an impact on teams this year.
Plus Mariemont really never puts freshmen on varsity even if they are really good. They usually keep them on JV

Yes, I think Mariemont does that becasue it helps develop players, which is why they are good every year.

Yes, I think Mariemont does that becasue it helps develop players, which is why they are good every year.

lets not forget the step up of competition from middle school to high school. Kids grow, become stronger, and the speed of the game increases. Most freshman dont make an impact on any varsity program, if one does, thats exceptional. But I don't see any freshman making an impact on any varsity program for that matter, let alone Mariemont's. Mariemont's varsity usually consists of just upperclassmen, and the occasional sophomore. I remember quite a few sophomores last year made an impact on Mariemont's varsity, Names? Nonetheless, look to Mariemont's varsity team to be one of the best D2 programs. As for Mason's, they are losing some key seniors, but expect them to be a strong team this year.

It is very hard
Quinn Collison for Moeller made a major impact and both Ian King and Benny Russert were key St. Xavier team last year.

Jooooooeeeeeeee rolander is an All-league All-city All-region All-american All-North American All-World goalie.

hes basically a brick wall with no emotion.

plus i heard he wears no pads because he loves pain.

I am unsure whether it is really going to be as easy for Mariemont to win the southwest in D2 as portrayed throughout this thread.

The Junior goalie Joe Rolander will have to step up quite a bit, which from what i've seen of him in the past, may not happen. It is true that Utt, Mccormack, and both Beaches will provide some great talent. But the rest of the team is sub-par in my opinion, they will be reliant on Juniors stepping up from their previous JV season to Varsity-level competition.

Although IH lost a substantial amount of seniors from last year, their Juniors and Sophomores have enough talent to compete with pretty much anyone. With senior leadership from Jake Thomas on the offensive side, and many strong Juniors and Sophomores to compliment him (Ian Mckay, Rob Becker, Luke Lewis, and Alec Taylor), they could counter Utt and his other defenders easily. Also, John Pipes will do well in goal after a full Varsity season Freshman year, he will have Jordan Schriner in front of him on Defense helping Quarterback all of the other upperclassmen defenders. The game will hopefully be as great as it was last year.

I am unsure whether it is really going to be as easy for Mariemont to win the southwest in D2 as portrayed throughout this thread.

The Junior goalie Joe Rolander will have to step up quite a bit, which from what i've seen of him in the past, may not happen. It is true that Utt, Mccormack, and both Beaches will provide some great talent. But the rest of the team is sub-par in my opinion, they will be reliant on Juniors stepping up from their previous JV season to Varsity-level competition.

Although IH lost a substantial amount of seniors from last year, their Juniors and Sophomores have enough talent to compete with pretty much anyone. With senior leadership from Jake Thomas on the offensive side, and many strong Juniors and Sophomores to compliment him (Ian Mckay, Rob Becker, Luke Lewis, and Alec Taylor), they could counter Utt and his other defenders easily. Also, John Pipes will do well in goal after a full Varsity season
Freshman year, he will have Jordan Schriner in front of him on Defense helping
Quarterback all of the other upperclassmen defenders. The game will hopefully
be as great as it was last year.

Sub bar??? You are obviously not that familiar with the Warrior lax program. Just off the top of my head they have Cole Decamp, Kaleb Iles, Billy Bausmith, Who are all excellent.

Hey as i Mentioned earlier, I got the names of those Mariemont Freshman also. Attackmen Macko Saffin, Defensemen John Bezney, and Goalie Sam Long. From what i have seen from Joe and Sam at the Mariemont/Mason games last year, I think Sam Long has a fair chance at beating out Joe Rolander for the Varsity position this year. But that will be a hard feat saying Mariemont barely plays underclassmen. Jimmy Beach was one of the few to mention last year who made an important impact from the underclassmen level.Those are the Freshman that led the Mariemont team so such an outstanding season in Division 1 quarter finals last year in middle school. They can do great things indeed.

Mason had overall a great team in middle school, but no outstanding players. But I think Mason comets this year will make great things happen. Mason has a Beeby who can do good, but we need a goalie, that's for sure. If we want to go big, we are going to need a very strong goalie to back up our already strong defense.

Hey as i Mentioned earlier, I got the names of those Mariemont Freshman also. Attackmen Macko Saffin, Defensemen John Bezney, and Goalie Sam Long. From what i have seen from Joe and Sam at the Mariemont/Mason games last year, I think Sam Long has a fair chance at beating out Joe Rolander for the Varsity position this year. But that will be a hard feat saying Mariemont barely plays underclassmen. Jimmy Beach was one of the few to mention last year who made an important impact from the underclassmen level.Those are the Freshman that led the Mariemont team so such an outstanding season in Division 1 quarter finals last year in middle school. They can do great things indeed.

Mason had overall a great team in middle school, but no outstanding players. But I think Mason comets this year will make great things happen. Mason has a Beeby who can do good, but we need a goalie, that's for sure. If we want to go big, we are going to need a very strong goalie to back up our already strong defense.

There is NO WAY that Long will replace Rolander. Get serious.

There is NO WAY that Long will replace Rolander. Get serious.

Agreed. I do think Long is very good, but freshman don't play varsity at Mariemont, much less replace a talented upperclassman. Even if Long was more talented than Rolander (which I don't think he is) he still would not play. Rolander will step up this year to replace Wood. I think we will see big things from Long in the future though.

Agreed. I do think Long is very good, but freshman don't play varsity at Mariemont, much less replace a talented upperclassman. Even if Long was more talented than Rolander (which I don't think he is) he still would not play. Rolander will step up this year to replace Wood. I think we will see big things from Long in the future though.

I agree with this. You rarely see underclassmen perform at the varsity level at Mariemont, let alone a Freshmen.

Sub bar??? You are obviously not that familiar with the Warrior lax program. Just off the top of my head they have Cole Decamp, Kaleb Iles, Billy Bausmith, Who are all excellent.

Excellent? Bausmith is the only one on that list worth mentioning.

Goalie is a huge thing to replace. Do the Mason/Mariemont replacement goalies have any starts on the varsity level? Or any playing time at all?

Goalie is a huge thing to replace. Do the Mason/Mariemont replacement goalies have any starts on the varsity level? Or any playing time at all?

Yes Rolander started about 5 varsity games last year when Wood was out with a broken thumb. He managed to have something like 15 saves in an OT victory against IH, more than double what Froelich had in that game. To say that a so called "excellent" freshman would beat out a junior with varsity experience is ridiculous, get real cheapcheeser. Not only that, but this freshman hasn't played one minute of high school ball, while Rolander has played 2 full years at the high school level. Also, Mariemont's whole squad is looking good this year. As long as the Beaches and McCormack all stay healthy, look for Mariemont to be a strong contender in division 2 this upcoming season.

Yes Rolander started about 5 varsity games last year when Wood was out with a broken thumb. He managed to have something like 15 saves in an OT victory against IH, more than double what Froelich had in that game. To say that a so called "excellent" freshman would beat out a junior with varsity experience is ridiculous, get real cheapcheeser. Not only that, but this freshman hasn't played one minute of high school ball, while Rolander has played 2 full years at the high school level. Also, Mariemont's whole squad is looking good this year. As long as the Beaches and McCormack all stay healthy, look for Mariemont to be a strong contender in division 2 this upcoming season.

Hear is the forum about the IH-MM game last year for those who care to read.
http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205800

Mason's goalie, no matter who it will be, will not have any starts at the varsity level.

Mason has a great defense in Shreve, Lucky and Hust, but goalie will be the achilles heel of this team this year. I don't care how many wins the jv goalie had last year, varsity is a totally different story.

Mason's goalie, no matter who it will be, will not have any starts at the varsity level.

Mason has a great defense in Shreve, Lucky and Hust, but goalie will be the achilles heel of this team this year. I don't care how many wins the jv goalie had last year, varsity is a totally different story.

Last year, the JV goalie for Mason was the worst player on that team. That's not saying much, because that team was very talented but he doesn't make saves. He was lucky to have a solid defense and outstanding mids.

If he is the goalie next year Mason might be in trouble. He will be taking a lot of shots against teams like St. X, IH, and Mariemont who have very good attackmen. He will need to make a lot of saves, which he has not shown that he can.

Although IH lost a substantial amount of seniors from last year, their Juniors and Sophomores have enough talent to compete with pretty much anyone. With senior leadership from Jake Thomas on the offensive side, and many strong Juniors and Sophomores to compliment him (Ian Mckay, Rob Becker, Luke Lewis, and Alec Taylor), they could counter Utt and his other defenders easily. Also, John Pipes will do well in goal after a full Varsity season Freshman year, he will have Jordan Schriner in front of him on Defense helping Quarterback all of the other upperclassmen defenders. The game will hopefully be as great as it was last year.

No one said it would be easy. I'm going to talk about this part by part.

First off, when Rolander played IH in his first career varsity start he had 15 saves, more than double what Frohlich (a D1 athlete) had. Mariemont was missing 8 key players atleast, and they still got the win.

Secondly, Mariemont has more than just the Beach brothers, McCormack and Utt, who by themselves, IH will not be able to stop. Mariemont always has strong players at every position, and have 5 or 6 long poles who would all start at IH. They also return all their key middies with the exception of Chris Finn, and also add a solid Junior class.

Lastly, Pipes is a very good goalie, but not better than Frohlich. How is Pipes going to stop an attack of 3 players who dominated IH last year being made up of two juniors and one sophomore? Schriner is good, but he can't defend all of them.

Last edited:
Mariemont freshmen (Sam Long) just need to stay off yappi because there will not be any frosh or sophmores playing varsity this year or next year or anytime after that. Maybe Tate DeCamp will come up come playoff time this year but thats it. Make a JV forum if you want to hype yourself up.

No one said it would be easy. I'm going to talk about this part by part.

First off, when Rolander played IH in his first career varsity start he had 15 saves, more than double what Frohlich (a D1 athlete) had. Mariemont was missing 8 key players atleast, and they still got the win.

Secondly, Mariemont has more than just the Beach brothers, McCormack and Utt, who by themselves, IH will not be able to stop. Mariemont always has strong players at every position, and have 5 or 6 long poles who would all start at IH. They also return all their key middies with the exception of Chris Finn, and also add a solid Junior class.

Lastly, Pipes is a very good goalie, but not better than Frohlich. How is Pipes going to stop an attack of 3 players who dominated IH last year being made up of two juniors and one sophomore? Schriner is good, but he can't defend all of them.

True, rolander played well.. But I personally don't believe he is anything special. Also, name some of those key players? Because I don't recall many juniors being too special other than the ones mentioned above. And the ih defense wasn't nearly as good last year as it will be this year.. Lackman and turnbull won't be missed. Mariemont will have to fight for it, no doubt. Don't be surprised if IH makes it a close one.

True, rolander played well.. But I personally don't believe he is anything special. Also, name some of those key players? Because I don't recall many juniors being too special other than the ones mentioned above. And the ih defense wasn't nearly as good last year as it will be this year.. Lackman and turnbull won't be missed. Mariemont will have to fight for it, no doubt. Don't be surprised if IH makes it a close one.

Let's just say Mariemont's sophomores on JV played well last year at every position, I believe they lost in the city tournament. Not only that, but they easily beat IH's JV quad. Look for Mariemont's 2012 class to step it up this year. I think IH will make it close, but Mariemont's going to close with a win.

Bausmith, DeCamp, Finn, Coyan, Ferguson. At defense Iles, Stirsman, Leach, Hyer, and Butcher. All of them would get good playing time at Ih and almost all of them would start.

Bausmith, DeCamp, Finn, Coyan, Ferguson. At defense Iles, Stirsman, Leach, Hyer, and Butcher. All of them would get good playing time at Ih and almost all of them would start.

The validity of your statement was immediately destroyed when you added Butch to that list. Get real. I understand you think mariemont will win, I truly do. But it will be close, I foresee a 2 or 3 goal game going either way. Also some of those players would get minimal PT at ih, just because a player excels at the JV level doesn't mean they will against varsity competition. You don't need to act like every mariemont player would start at IH, it is simply false.

The validity of your statement was immediately destroyed when you added Butch to that list. Get real. I understand you think mariemont will win, I truly do. But it will be close, I foresee a 2 or 3 goal game going either way. Also some of those players would get minimal PT at ih, just because a player excels at the JV level doesn't mean they will against varsity competition. You don't need to act like every mariemont player would start at IH, it is simply false.

Yeah maybe some of those shouldn't be on there, but same goes for some of the players you listed. I was just trying to make an argument. I don't think every player from Mariemont would start at IH. I think Mariemont's 3 attackmen would, and Utt and Hyer would on D, and Iles at LSM. Finn is the only middie who would start for sure on that list.

I would expect IH to be good, but players from that team say they won't be. When players think they aren't going to be good going into a season, you probably won't be.

Yeah maybe some of those shouldn't be on there, but same goes for some of the players you listed. I was just trying to make an argument. I don't think every player from Mariemont would start at IH. I think Mariemont's 3 attackmen would, and Utt and Hyer would on D, and Iles at LSM. Finn is the only middie who would start for sure on that list.

I would expect IH to be good, but players from that team say they won't be. When players think they aren't going to be good going into a season, you probably won't be.

I'm not saying iH is going to be spectacular, but with the rivalry both schools have I would doubt a blow out will occur. And I'm not going to argue with any of your statements about players who would start at IH because each one would need a separate argument, and I simply don't want to put forth the time to write each out. But I believe the same goes for IH, we have about 4 or 5 players who could start at Mariemont as well. But all I am going to say is-- if you truly believe you'll win easily, prepare to be surprised.

I'm not saying iH is going to be spectacular, but with the rivalry both schools have I would doubt a blow out will occur. And I'm not going to argue with any of your statements about players who would start at IH because each one would need a separate argument, and I simply don't want to put forth the time to write each out. But I believe the same goes for IH, we have about 4 or 5 players who could start at Mariemont as well. But all I am going to say is-- if you truly believe you'll win easily, prepare to be surprised.

I dont think they will win easily. I never said that.