Travel Team Tryouts Cinci

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaxCincy006

Velocity is hosting open tryouts for their travel team- only this season they are apparently having 2 teams which will travel to same tournaments. Does anyone know when tryouts are?

The tryouts are "open" but you have to be on the tryout roster in order to get tryout details. This way they can keep tryout controlled. I know a few kids trying out, and they said they just had to call into Velocity and give information. From my understanding tryouts are open to any high school boy, and they already have a significant amount of players trying out. 2 teams is a good move for them. Best luck to the Velocity boys.

Yes, I agree. 2 teams provides way more opportunity for players to get exposure at those big tournaments. I know last year they went to the toughest ones available and held their own. .... it will be interesting to see this year. I hope they release the tryout location to public b/c I'm sure people would want to watch.

wHOM DO YOU CONTACT IN ORDER TO SEE IF YOU CAN TRY-OUT? Oops sorry didn't know cap lock was on. anyhow what is the age requirements.

The tryouts are open to any high school boy from incoming freshman to next year's senior class.

Call Velocity's store for more info or check out their website.

Yes, elklax correct. The store in West Chester is who you call to be placed on tryout roster. I believe the West Chester location is only current Velocity?
Looking forward to see these teams in action.

Velocity 513.754.2299- You can speak with them there for more detailed info regarding the two teams. Sounds like good stuff.

I heard Velocity released tryout dates for early June? Does anyone know details? Does not leave them much time to prepare for Lax n Nati, but at least this travel team did not jump the gun with overlapping into regular season. I would imagine this team would face other local teams at the Cincinnati tournament.

They definitely are doing this tryout late- but seems the hs coaches support them more for this. That date is the day after states I believe. Smart, but cutting it close to first tourney.

I think it is late as well but I am sure the coaches like the fact they are not interfering with the season as the Royals did.

Celtic is just sending invitations out to the kids they want on the team and making them commit before the Velocity try outs.

The fact of the matter is- all 3 of these teams have gone about establishing rosters in different manners. It's great for Ohio to have 3 travel team options, but the reality is- Velocity IS the only travel team that has not finalized it's players. Royals roster is apparently set, Celtic is in the process as it appears to making players commit now, and Velocity is hosting open tryouts immediately after lax season is over for HS. So yes, V is the only team being finalized after the season. I'm sure coaches will appreciate this, but I don't think they will frown on the other teams either. The obvious difference with Velocity- is it seems these tryouts are open to all, which gives each player the same opportunity. That is nice to see for Southern Ohio. I think a round robin needs to be arranged for these 3 teams to put all the talk to rest. What a great event!

Fyi

Having this many teams for summer travel is awesome for SWO Lax.
Word is:
Celtic is fielding 2 teams
Velocity is fielding 2 teams
Royals are fielding 3 teams

All of the tryouts for the Royals were prior to the HS season official start. None of teams have interfered with teams during the season, and I am sure that all the coaches do appreciate that.

I agree. This many travel teams will do SWO lax some justice as far as exposure for players. There are enough good quality players to go around to make each team be able to compete in some reputable tournaments. A local match up should be set up between teams- seeing as all the best local players will be spread out among the 3. Royals are always good, Celtic is not bad either, and Velocity is a sleeping giant at the moment with the team still needed to be finalized. My money would be with Velocity- but again, great for all 3 teams.

Not only was there talent in numbers at this tryout...the Coaches doing the picking were pretty impressive themselves! I guess that answers the question of Local HS coaches supporting this team? I saw the head coaches on the field from Mason, St X..I think Dublin C from Columbus, West, East, Elder,,pretty sure a Moeller guy was there as well...IHill... very interesting mix. I heard these coaches were helping the Velocity staff as guest coaches for the selecting of the players. They have released the rosters on the travel website... www.velocitylacrossetravel.com
Looks like they are off with a running start... now interested to see them in action.

I am led to believe the coaches were out there to protect there players interest more than anything else. Call it sour grapes if you like but I set through the whole tryout process and watched all 4 scrimmage games and have a hard time believing that my son couldn't make this squad. He is 6"1 and 195 lbs won all three of his face-offs and scored two goals during the scrimmages. Not saying he was even close to the best middy but find it very hard to beliveve that preformance doesn't allow him to sniff the top 20 middies????

Interestingly enough, those coaches...weren't "allowed" to vote for their own regular season players. I don't have a kid invested in this- but was there observing out of curiosity. I guess not allowing coaches to vote for own players is how they decided to keep it fair. Spoke with a coach after wards- and he said his season players were eliminated from his scoring sheet all together. Who knows though. Midfield had to be tricky to get on-b/c there were so many. I personally feel the other teams around the city should use this method. The other team coaches are the ONLY people doing the selecting for their teams..they don't bring in any other people for input. Should be interesting. Does anyone know who Celtic or Royals have?? Can't seem to find their website.

Interestingly enough, those coaches...weren't "allowed" to vote for their own regular season players. I don't have a kid invested in this- but was there observing out of curiosity. I guess not allowing coaches to vote for own players is how they decided to keep it fair. Spoke with a coach after wards- and he said his season players were eliminated from his scoring sheet all together. Who knows though. Midfield had to be tricky to get on-b/c there were so many. I personally feel the other teams around the city should use this method. The other team coaches are the ONLY people doing the selecting for their teams..they don't bring in any other people for input. Should be interesting. Does anyone know who Celtic or Royals have?? Can't seem to find their website.

I can only speak from my own experience with the Royals. They have set their teams up a little different than the others. The first difference is they are not a Store Organized Team. Second, they have gone to a five man staff for the summer using a Director of Coaching model. Pat Kennedy is Director and will be involved with all three teams with a focus on the Blue(Rising Seniors) and White(Rising Juniors/Soph) teams, while Andy Routt will serve as head coach for the Rising(incoming Freshman). At the try outs the coaching staff was assisted in evaluations by several college players a assistant coaches. While I was only at the one of the tryouts the one I personally witnessed had no less than 10 people evaluating the 70+ players that were there.

On the converse side Celtic had no tryouts and hand selected their 4 teams, U15 North and South, U17 North and South.

It will be fun to watch these teams play this summer. Here is a rough schedule of the tournaments they are playing in. Celtic is the first to actually play in a tournament. They are on their way to Syracuse for the Lax by the Lake Tourney

Royals:
Rutgers MVP June 18-20
Tri-State National July 9-11* TBD
Brine Shootout July 11-14
Royals White
Rutgers MVP "U-16" June 18-20
Tri-State National July 9-11
Notre Dame Midwest Challenge July 23-25
Royals Rising
Lax-N-Nati June 19-20
Summer Getaway June 26-27

Velocity:
Elite
Lax-N-Nati June 19-20
Chicago Prairie Showdown July 30- Aug 1
Varsity
Lax-N-Nati June 19-20

Last edited:
I am led to believe the coaches were out there to protect there players interest more than anything else. Call it sour grapes if you like but I set through the whole tryout process and watched all 4 scrimmage games and have a hard time believing that my son couldn't make this squad. He is 6"1 and 195 lbs won all three of his face-offs and scored two goals during the scrimmages. Not saying he was even close to the best middy but find it very hard to beliveve that preformance doesn't allow him to sniff the top 20 middies????

Wow! Sour Grapes?

I am, sure these coaches were impartial. They could not evaluate their own kids and a large portion of the Cincinnati coaches were there. They added kids from Centerville, Wilmington, Fairfield, etc areas that did not even have coaches out there. This also means they are mixing club kids with varsity program kids. I do not know how you can be more fair than that. I do not know anything about your son and maybe he belongs on one of the squads but put over 100 kids on a field and try to pick them has got to be difficult. At least they had a try out and invited EVERYONE. Where do you ever see that?
Just look at their roster www.velocitylacrossetravel.com.

I can only speak from my own experience with the Royals. They have set their teams up a little different than the others. The first difference is they are not a Store Organized Team. Second, they have gone to a five man staff for the summer using a Director of Coaching model. Pat Kennedy is Director and will be involved with all three teams with a focus on the Blue(Rising Seniors) and White(Rising Juniors/Soph) teams, while Andy Routt will serve as head coach for the Rising(incoming Freshman). At the try outs the coaching staff was assisted in evaluations by several college players a assistant coaches. While I was only at the one of the tryouts the one I personally witnessed had no less than 10 people evaluating the 70+ players that were there.

On the converse side Celtic had no tryouts and hand selected their 4 teams, U15 North and South, U17 North and South.

It will be fun to watch these teams play this summer. Here is a rough schedule of the tournaments they are playing in. Celtic is the first to actually play in a tournament. They are on their way to Syracuse for the Lax by the Lake Tourney

Royals:
Rutgers MVP June 18-20
Tri-State National July 9-11* TBD
Brine Shootout July 11-14
Royals White
Rutgers MVP "U-16" June 18-20
Notre Dame Midwest Challenge July 23-25
Royals Rising
Lax-N-Nati June 19-20
Summer Getaway June 26-27

Velocity:
Elite
Lax-N-Nati June 19-20
Varsity
Lax-N-Nati June 19-20

Velocity also plays at the Turkey Shoot in Ithica NY in November

Wow! Sour Grapes?

I am, sure these coaches were impartial. They could not evaluate their own kids and a large portion of the Cincinnati coaches were there. They added kids from Centerville, Wilmington, Fairfield, etc areas that did not even have coaches out there. This also means they are mixing club kids with varsity program kids. I do not know how you can be more fair than that. I do not know anything about your son and maybe he belongs on one of the squads but put over 100 kids on a field and try to pick them has got to be difficult. At least they had a try out and invited EVERYONE. Where do you ever see that?
Just look at their roster www.velocitylacrossetravel.com.
Say what you will. I can only tell you what I saw and my sons team scored a total of 8 goals in two scrimmages so he accounted for over 25% of there offense because he also had an assist and won his three face-off attempts. Please explain to me how that preformance does not dictate into one of the top 22 middies that they chose. I am open-minded but it's not like he was a wall flower that blended in considering his size and preformance.

Go Cincinnati Lacrosse- Make Us Proud!!!

Olddog Thanks for adding the Turkey Shoot to the schedule- Great tournament and I left it off as it is not part of the summer. Some on the team may not be able to attend due to FB commitments.

I still think this growth of Summer Club in SWO is great for the sport, great for the kids, and great for the region. My hope is that all the teams represent the area well.

It would be great to see the Royals top team play the Velocity Elite some time this summer if schedules work out.

We will get to see the Velocity Varsity play The Royal Rising team at Lax-n-nati
On Saturday June 18, 2010 @ 12:00pm- Clear Creek Park on Rt 32 in Newtown. Lets get a big crowd there to show all the teams from out of town how Cincinnati is supporting Lacrosse!

Velocity Elite and Royals would indeed be a good match up. For the most part, I think the boys on both of these teams have respect for each other- as many go to the same schools. I would imagine the Royals would be excited that there is now another team in SWO that can compete with them. Hopefully this will be arranged soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.