Best HS athlete of all time

pied

My first thought is Ken Hall. His stats remain at the top after 50 years. He did play at a very low level.

If I had to pick one, give me Ronald Curry.

I'd put his career up against anyone's on that list. Curry finished with 90 passing touchdowns, 74 rushing touchdowns, and 22 returns for touchdowns. The first Jr. QB USA Today QB. Also led his team to the state title in Basketball as a Jr. and was a McDonald's All American in that sport.

His junior year, he accounted for 76 TD's passing, running, and returning kicks.

If there are any Michigan folks on here I remember seeing a player from the 1960's or early 1970's that was enshrined in the National Federation HoF. He was a stud in several sports on the high school level.

How many players have made a major all American team in two sports. Terrelle Pryor is the latest.

There have been some great footballers go with baseball out of high school. Jeff Franceour is one currently playing MLB but I do not think he is a greatest of all time candidate. Quinn Buckner was a good footballer and hoopster. Stan Rome from Georgia played at Clemson and in the NFL was a three sport stud in high school and played hoops in college. Anyone remember the kid on the cover of SI from Utah. He went onto play for the Dolphins as a tight end. There are so many of them. Give us some more...

Roger Maris, from N.Dakota (I think) seemed to have a pretty good resume in both football and baseball. Aint sure about other sports.
And, I know Jim Brown excelled at either Rugby or LaCrosse in college. (I know this is a HS topic. Just dont know if he played another sport in HS)

In all reality, to pick "The Best" would be only slightly easier than hitting a Sidd Finch fastball. Or finding Scott Berg.

Danny Ainge was one of the greatest athletes to ever come out of Oregon. If memory serves he was all-state in baseball, basketball and football and maybe more. Parade all-american as a Jr in football. Two sport pro athlete in basketball and baseball (MLB and NBA). NBA head coach. GM of Boston Celtics.

Last edited:
Maris went to Fargo Shanley.

He set the national record for kickoff returns for touchdowns in a game (three, I believe).

Brent Fullwood (Orlando area for high school in the early 80s or so, later maybe Auburn and the Packers) tied it.

Best I saw personally, for what it's worth, was probably William Reed (Philadelphia Central)

One sport only (track), but very, very good.

At the 1986 Penn Relays he ran the second-fastest 4x400 split of the meet, high school or college, behind Roddie Haley of Arkansas.

Set pretty much every 400m age-group record from kindergarten, or wherever they start, though high school.

Blew out his knee at some point and didn't do much in college.

Tough topic to digest. I would have to include Michael Carter of Dallas Jefferson on the list for big men. Outstanding football player but threw the 12# shot 81'3".

Although his NFL career is the new gold standard for mediocrity, Tim Couch (Leslie County High, KY) was a phenomenal HS athlete. 12,104 yds. passing, 133 TD passes, 872 completions. From what I understand, he was also a very good basketball player.

Greatest of all time

:hello: I beleive you all forgot about the greatest high school football player of all times. Fro Polk High in Chicago. Thats right none other than Al Bundy:)

BEN MAUK, QB Kenton HS, OH (1999-2002)

The kid put up crazy numbers.

here are his places in the OHSAA football record book.

Passing Touchdowns, Game
T-8th, 7 vs. Castalia Margaretta (11/17/2001)

Passing Touchdowns, Season
1st, 76 (2002 - 15 games) *2nd All Time Nationally
3rd, 60 (2001 - 15 games) *12th All Time Nationally

Passing Touchdowns, Career
1st, 178 (1999-2002) *2nd All Time Nationally

Yards Passing, Game

4th, 567yds vs. Castalia Margaretta (11/17/2001)
6th, 550yds vs. Lima Shawnee (2001)
50th, 439yds vs. Newark Licking Valley (12/1/2001)

Yards Passing, Season
1st, 6,540yds (2002 - 15 games) *National Record
2nd, 5,770yds (2001 - 15 games) *2nd All Time Nationally
8th, 3,936yds (2000 - regular season only) *57th All Time Nationally

Yards Passing, Career
1st, 17,364yds (1999-2002) *National Record

Last edited:
Tough topic to digest. I would have to include Michael Carter of Dallas Jefferson on the list for big men. Outstanding football player but threw the 12# shot 81'3".
Hey Border,
81'??? Are you certain?? Approx what yr was that?
I had a neighborhood pal who played O-line and D-line in HS, and threw the shot part time. He won the state (Calif) in 72 and threw it around 66-67. I think that was some kinda record at that time. He later went on to work for UCLA and then the 49ers as an O-guard, and initially as a long snapper. I think he played 12-13 yrs with Frisco.
On this Michael Carter, what did he weigh in HS? And did he eventually play in the NFL with Frisco? Seems I remember a name similar to that. 81'. Thats just crazy.

Source Wikipedia -

"Carter is best known in track and field for setting the national high school record of 81 feet 3½ inches in the 12 pound shot put, adding more than nine feet to the previous record. He set this mark at the 1979 Golden West Invitational track and field meet while competing for Jefferson High School of Dallas, Texas. No high school athlete has come within five feet of this record since." I understand that meet is in Sacramento.

YouTube link of the feat -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMVgbAgDSzg

Results of his 6 tosses in June 1979

#1 - 75'1"
#2 - 67'7"
#3 - 75'4"
#4 - Foul
#5 - 76'4"
#6 - 81'3"

Granted this was only a 12# Shot, but he tossed the 16# shot over 70' in college and won a silver metal in '84.

Other notable - "Carter is the only athlete to win an Olympic medal and a Super Bowl ring in the same year." Daughter won the 2006 NCAA Shot put and has another daughter that won Big XII discus. Yes he played for the 49ers and was 3 time pro-bowl nose tackle.

Not saying he was the best high school athlete because we normally think of speed over brawn.

BEN MAUK, cont.

NATIONAL RECORDS

Total Yards, Career
1st, 19,628 1999-2002 (17,364 passing, 2,264 rushing)

Total Yards, Season
1st, 7,928 2002 (6,540 passing, 1,388 rushing)
2nd, 6,727 2001 (5,770 passing, 957 rushing)

Total Yards, Per Game

1st, 528.5 2002 (7,928/15)
2nd, 448.5 2001 (6,727/15)
5th, 395.5 2000 (3,955/10)

Passing yards per game
1st, 436.0ypg (2002)
4th, 384.7ypg (2001)

Most Passing Attemps, Career
1st, 1,905 (1999-2002)

Most Passing Attemps, Season
1st, 674 (2001)
2nd, 669 (2002)

Most Passing Attemps, Per Game
4th, 44.9 2001 (674/15)
5th, 44.6 2002 (669/15)

Most Completions, Career
2nd, 1,095 (1999-2002)

Most Completions, Season
2nd, 413 (2002)
3rd, 369 (2001)

Most Completions, Per Game
3rd, 27.5 (2002)
9th, 24.6 (2001)

TD Passes, Career
2nd, 178 (1999-2002)

TD Passes, Season
2nd, 76 (2002)
12th, 60 (2001)

BEN MAUK, QB Kenton HS, OH (1999-2002)

Forgive my ignorance, but what classification is Kenton?

Those certainly are impressive stats, but are for passing only. Any on rushing/special teams/defense?

Curry was at the forefront of a nerw type of QB, as well as an All American Basketball player.

D4

i agree that its a little low and that the compition wasn't always the best but those are rediculous numbers and also won back to back state titles.

I am in no way saying he was the best and i think its impossible to fairly decide who is but some people don't know him and I thought I'd give him the reconition he deserves.

I think when we say best athlete we are talking about achieving the elite level in more than one sport. Ainge could have been a major college qb but went to BYU on a hoops scholarship and played in the majors with the Blue Jays.

What Ben Mauk did was unreal but his father pushed those stats with a pass only offense against competition that was shell schocked by something they had never seen.

I saw Ronald Curry play his senior year of high school football and in the McDonalds AA game in hoops. His athletic ability along with his sense of the two sports was so unique. If you are playing qb in college you cannot play hoops on the major college level and if you are playing hoops you got to skip football. He did not but still plays with the Raiders at wideout.

Michael Carter would have had a much better career if not for bad knees and some serious knee injuries. His shot putting took a back seat to football at SMU. His high school track exploits are considered in the Jim Ryun category.

From the Charlotte NC area Mark Maye was a Parade AA in football and all state in hoops and baseball. Attended college on a non athletic scholarship. He won the most coveted scholarship in the state from UNC, the Morehead, which is presented based on intelligence, education, leadership, and community service. ACC POY but knee, shoulder, and wrist injuries sidelined a brilliant career. One of the nicest fellas you will ever meet.

Jim Thorpe? I can not recall if his feats where in college or high school.
regardless, this is a very cool thread. Seems we should see more multi sport athletes than just football stats.

Source Wikipedia -

"Carter is best known in track and field for setting the national high school record of 81 feet 3½ inches in the 12 pound shot put, adding more than nine feet to the previous record. He set this mark at the 1979 Golden West Invitational track and field meet while competing for Jefferson High School of Dallas, Texas. No high school athlete has come within five feet of this record since." I understand that meet is in Sacramento.

YouTube link of the feat -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMVgbAgDSzg

Results of his 6 tosses in June 1979

#1 - 75'1"
#2 - 67'7"
#3 - 75'4"
#4 - Foul
#5 - 76'4"
#6 - 81'3"

Granted this was only a 12# Shot, but he tossed the 16# shot over 70' in college and won a silver metal in '84.

Other notable - "Carter is the only athlete to win an Olympic medal and a Super Bowl ring in the same year." Daughter won the 2006 NCAA Shot put and has another daughter that won Big XII discus. Yes he played for the 49ers and was 3 time pro-bowl nose tackle.

Not saying he was the best high school athlete because we normally think of speed over brawn.

81-3!!! Thats just flat out INSANE!!! Thats like a 3.9 40!

:hello: I beleive you all forgot about the greatest high school football player of all times. Fro Polk High in Chicago. Thats right none other than Al Bundy:)

4 touchdowns in the '66 city championship game against Andrew Jackson high and "Spare Tire" Dixon. My vote resides here.

NATIONAL RECORDS

Total Yards, Career
1st, 19,628 1999-2002 (17,364 passing, 2,264 rushing)

Total Yards, Season
1st, 7,928 2002 (6,540 passing, 1,388 rushing)
2nd, 6,727 2001 (5,770 passing, 957 rushing)

Total Yards, Per Game

1st, 528.5 2002 (7,928/15)
2nd, 448.5 2001 (6,727/15)
5th, 395.5 2000 (3,955/10)

Passing yards per game
1st, 436.0ypg (2002)
4th, 384.7ypg (2001)

Most Passing Attemps, Career
1st, 1,905 (1999-2002)

Most Passing Attemps, Season
1st, 674 (2001)
2nd, 669 (2002)

Most Passing Attemps, Per Game
4th, 44.9 2001 (674/15)
5th, 44.6 2002 (669/15)

Most Completions, Career
2nd, 1,095 (1999-2002)

Most Completions, Season
2nd, 413 (2002)
3rd, 369 (2001)

Most Completions, Per Game
3rd, 27.5 (2002)
9th, 24.6 (2001)

TD Passes, Career
2nd, 178 (1999-2002)

TD Passes, Season
2nd, 76 (2002)
12th, 60 (2001)

I'll go with Ben! Awesome numbers!

Saw Ben play in college at Wake Forest. They had decent teams but on the college level his size and ability did not stand out.

i don't think you can really label someone as the best hs athlete of all time, but terrell pryor was pretty good. the number 1 quarterback in the nation out of highschool and he also led the basketball team to the state championship. Maybe lebron james? He was a good football player and probably the best hs basketball player ever. But it would be hard to name someone the best of all time in hs.

If there are any Michigan folks on here I remember seeing a player from the 1960's or early 1970's that was enshrined in the National Federation HoF. He was a stud in several sports on the high school level.

How many players have made a major all American team in two sports. Terrelle Pryor is the latest.

There have been some great footballers go with baseball out of high school. Jeff Franceour is one currently playing MLB but I do not think he is a greatest of all time candidate. Quinn Buckner was a good footballer and hoopster. Stan Rome from Georgia played at Clemson and in the NFL was a three sport stud in high school and played hoops in college. Anyone remember the kid on the cover of SI from Utah. He went onto play for the Dolphins as a tight end. There are so many of them. Give us some more...

Stanford Rome's son plays tight end for the once mighty Valdosta Wildcats this season.http://www.valdostafootball.com/yearlyresults/1971/default.asp

Kirk Gibson @ Moo U excelled in football and baseball. Around the same time Rick Leach was flipping both sports as well.

Last edited:
Herschel Walker, Earl Campbell, Marcus Dupree, Ron Simmons, James Brooks, Emmitt Smith, too many great ones to single out only one. Herschel Walker was the guy who caused interest in recruiting to explode into a year round hobby for fb fans. Joe Terranova who in the late 70's and early 80's was the guru of recruiting in those days wrote that interest in the recruiting of Walker was unprecedented up to that time.

troy cooper from bishop brossert in northern kentucky. all state in soccer, all nky in basketball, best thrower in nky for two straight years.

lebron james and allen iverson were really good hs atheletes. alot of d-1 A football offers, all americans in basketball

then you have jim thorpe