Worst Record to Ever Defeat a Team Finishing 9-1

Calif_Eagle

I once emailed Drew Pasteur & asked him if he was aware of an Ohio 1-9 team ever defeating a 9-1 team. He replied & said not to the best of his knowledge, but he didn't know for sure. Thought I'd throw it out here & ask the Yappi community, what's the biggest spread between 2 teams regular season records that they were aware of, at seasons end. Where the "worse" team defeated the "better" team during that season.

Closest thing I know is something I noticed in the old All-American Conference glossy magazine* I used to have (wish I still did). In 1945 Massillon finished unbeaten but suffered a tie against Steubenville. Final score was 7-7. Finish that season Massillon a very odd 5-0-5! And Steubenville, a season Big Red faithful probably like to forget, 0-9-1. So a winless team tied an unbeaten team. That Tiger season record equates to 7-2-1 % wise, so that's 7 full levels of WLT record better than Big Red that year. This result is verified by both the Steubenville and Massillon excellent football history websites they each have.

Does anyone have anything similar or more, with preferably a win not a tie? Many here probably even don't recall the pre-overtime days, but if you have a good example, I'd appreciate seeing it.

* Sold in AAC stadiums around 1970 or so. I know some of you have it, because I have seen it mentioned here by posters. Assuming those posters are still here. Hope so! (y)

Keep an eye on St. Ignatius, who looks like they'll finish 1-9. The Cats knocked off Mentor in Week 2, and while the Cardinals are just 4-3, they have played a tough schedule, have an upset win over Medina, and are currently ranked #4 in Region 1. Mentor is capable of making it to the Elite 8 and finishing 10-4. If it weren't for a 1 point loss to Cleveland Heights and a 3 point loss to undefeated Riverside, Mentor could have been the first 9-1 team to lose to a 1-9 team.

Keep an eye on St. Ignatius, who looks like they'll finish 1-9. The Cats knocked off Mentor in Week 2, and while the Cardinals are just 4-3, they have played a tough schedule, have an upset win over Medina, and are currently ranked #4 in Region 1. Mentor is capable of making it to the Elite 8 and finishing 10-4. If it weren't for a 1-point loss to Cleveland Heights and a 3-point loss to undefeated Riverside, Mentor could have been the first 9-1 team to lose to a 1-9 team.
I'll do so. Ty for the heads up. I wasn't counting playoff wins and losses, but no reason not to I would think. I know from a long exchange on the "Will an 0-10 team make the Playoffs" thread that in 2012 Mooney finished 3-6 and defeated the eventual State Champions Akron SVSM. They finished 13-2 losing only to Mooney and Massillon. That's a spread of 10 wins and may the best ever. I suppose I'll never know for absolute certain, but it's at least the best I have ever seen so far in thinking about this again. 1-9 from St I, who would have ever thought it? That would be a spread of 6 wins, still very uncommon if Mentor goes 7-3.

EDIT: To give credit where credit is due, it was poster SIMKON that told me about that game. And poster MR. SLIPPERY that identified the precise team.

Last edited:
This probably doesn't satisfy the original question. I'm still working on it, but I found that in 2002, a 1-9 Niles McKinley team defeated a Howland team that finished the regular season 7-3 and was 9-4 after the playoffs.

Close, but a 2-5 Parkway team this season defeated 6-1 Pioneer North Central.

Drew Pasteur expects Parkway to finish 2-8 or 3-7 and North Central to finish 9-1.

In 2010, 3-7 Perkins beat 9-1 (eventually 10-2) Clyde in Week 8. So it was 1-6 vs 7-0 at the time.

Perkins' other wins were over a 1-9 Sandusky St. Mary's and a 5-5 Port Clinton.

Lorain may very well finish 9-1 against a very weak schedule. They most definitely could lose to a 1-9 team in the first round of the D1 playoffs.

I once emailed Drew Pasteur & asked him if he was aware of an Ohio 1-9 team ever defeating a 9-1 team. He replied & said not to the best of his knowledge, but he didn't know for sure. Thought I'd throw it out here & ask the Yappi community, what's the biggest spread between 2 teams regular season records that they were aware of, at seasons end. Where the "worse" team defeated the "better" team during that season.

Closest thing I know is something I noticed in the old All-American Conference glossy magazine* I used to have (wish I still did). In 1945 Massillon finished unbeaten but suffered a tie against Steubenville. Final score was 7-7. Finish that season Massillon a very odd 5-0-5! And Steubenville, a season Big Red faithful probably like to forget, 0-9-1. So a winless team tied an unbeaten team. That Tiger season record equates to 7-2-1 % wise, so that's 7 full levels of WLT record better than Big Red that year. This result is verified by both the Steubenville and Massillon excellent football history websites they each have.

Does anyone have anything similar or more, with preferably a win not a tie? Many here probably even don't recall the pre-overtime days, but if you have a good example, I'd appreciate seeing it.

* Sold in AAC stadiums around 1970 or so. I know some of you have it, because I have seen it mentioned here by posters. Assuming those posters are still here. Hope so! (y)
Interesting post. Thanks. In 1945 Cleveland Cathedral Latin was named State Champs, with a 9-0-1 record, the tie was against Massillon. Massillon and Canton McKinley played to a 0-0 tie that season. McKinley's record was 7-1-2.

In 1945 Cleveland Cathedral Latin was named State Champs, with a 9-0-1 record, the tie was against Massillon. Massillon and Canton McKinley played to a 0-0 tie that season. McKinley's record was 7-1-2.
Those were two of 5(!) ties for Massillon that year. The Tigers finished undefeated, with a record of 5-0-5.

One might also note that the attendance at the Cathedral Latin game was 51,000; Massillon averaged almost 19,000 fans per game that year.

This probably doesn't satisfy the original question. I'm still working on it, but I found that in 2002, a 1-9 Niles McKinley team defeated a Howland team that finished the regular season 7-3 and was 9-4 after the playoffs.
If my memory is correct, Howland still had a grass field and it rained all day. Niles won 3-0 in double OT. Chris Settlemire, who is probably the best QB Howland had since Bill Burke, was injured and did not play. When he came back, Howland knocked off an 11-0 Canfield team in the 2nd round of the playoffs, ironically at Niles.

If my memory is correct, Howland still had a grass field and it rained all day. Niles won 3-0 in double OT. Chris Settlemire, who is probably the best QB Howland had since Bill Burke, was injured and did not play. When he came back, Howland knocked off an 11-0 Canfield team in the 2nd round of the playoffs, ironically at Niles.
No wonder that seemed familiar, I was at both games against Howland that year, and recall something about their QB being injured. Speaking of injuries, several players for Canfield were injured and it affected the outcome of the rematch in week 12. I know for sure my friend Tom Rogers was injured, but can't recall specifically who else was injured, I want to say maybe Jordan Ferns and Jamie McNally but could be wrong, just know we had a few key injuries.

Also a 2016 (5-5) Niles team beat a struthers team that was 9-1 by 1 point.

In 2006 Valley View had one of their worst seasons on record, went 3-7 but one of those wins was a 54-27 thumping of 9-1 Monroe. Monroe went on to finish 10-2. The 54 points was the most Monroe gave up that season. What’s interesting about that game is that the season before Monroe beat Valley View in the regional final game so maybe it was extra motivation? Who knows.

Interesting post. Thanks. In 1945 Cleveland Cathedral Latin was named State Champs, with a 9-0-1 record, the tie was against Massillon. Massillon and Canton McKinley played to a 0-0 tie that season. McKinley's record was 7-1-2.
Thanx for the compliment! I saw Massillon tied 2 unbeaten teams that year (Canton Lincoln & Cathedral Latin) Plus once beaten McKinley and very paradoxically 2 teams that while normally very good in the per-playoffs era, probably suffered their worst seasons ever, at least in the 9/10 game schedule era. Alliance was 1-8-1 that year and Big Red was winless as mentioned. I would probably not know this if not for Massillon's amazing web site which gave the WLT records for all the tied games. I hasten to add Steubenville's website is amazing too. Would that Euclid had one at all. (I have been trying to change that, we'll see what happens. The interest level in Euclid football just has never really been there like it always was for baseball, except for the winning Tom Banc era, which I sadly could only follow from over 2500 miles away.)

Those were two of 5(!) ties for Massillon that year. The Tigers finished undefeated, with a record of 5-0-5.

One might also note that the attendance at the Cathedral Latin game was 51,000; Massillon averaged almost 19,000 fans per game that year.
Yes, the website said on the page for that season that it was the Tigers best season attendance ever. I didn't look at the subsequent pages on this, just wanted to verify the score. Is that still their best attendance season? (What a strange year to have as your most attended. 5-0-5.) And is that still the largest crowd they have played before? Perhaps you know off the top of your head. If not, I'll make it a point to check down the road.

I believe in the early 2000's Clear Fork was 9-0 going into the last week and was beat by several touchdowns by one of the smaller schools up in that area (Can't remember which one ) but they were 0-9 going into that game!

I believe in the early 2000's Clear Fork was 9-0 going into the last week and was beat by several touchdowns by one of the smaller schools up in that area (Can't remember which one) but they were 0-9 going into that game!
I looked for it but didn't find a season that met those criteria. I did notice on the Ohio HS Football Database that in 1981 Clear Fork tied West Holmes 0-0 and both teams were 0-9-1 for the season. Whole lot of 'Nuthin going on in that game lol!! No points and No wins. I'm glad you mentioned Clear Fork, or I never would have seen that. (y) (y) Quite a matchup for sure!

Last edited:
In 2003, 2-8 Reynoldsburg beat 9-1 Dublin Scioto. Scioto finished the year 10-4 after losing in the state semifinals and then forfeiting their wins in the regional semifinal and regional final.
So Reynoldsburg was 2-8 and on the field Dublin Scioto was 12-2. That's a really good one too, very high spread of 10 games in the win column.

I think forfeits are a lame way to punish a team for wrongdoing, especially if it's a ticky-tack offense like putting in an ineligible player late in a game. I recall a game where (2002) Steubenville blasted Ashtabula Lakeside 58-6. Big Red had to forfeit for the reason I just cited. Player appeared long after the game was decided. With the forfeit Lakeside made the playoffs, which they would not have done without the "Victory". So a team more deserving got left out. Lakeside DID finish 8-2 that season, but got blasted by Mentor in the playoff game, also ironically by 58-6.

Glenville was 9th in the Region that year. Top 8 made playoffs in 2002.

I'd be curious why they (DS) forfeited also.

Last edited:
Why did they forfeit?
So Reynoldsburg was 2-8 and on the field Dublin Scioto was 12-2. That's a really good one too, very high spread of 10 games in the win column.

I think forfeits are a lame way to punish a team for wrongdoing, especially if it's a ticky-tack offense like putting in an ineligible player late in a game. I recall a game where (2002) Steubenville blasted Ashtabula Lakeside 58-6. Big Red had to forfeit for the reason I just cited. Player appeared long after the game was decided. With the forfeit Lakeside made the playoffs, which they would not have done without the "Victory". So a team more deserving got left out. Lakeside DID finish 8-2 that season, but got blasted by Mentor in the playoff game, also ironically by 58-6.

Glenville was 9th in the Region that year. Top 8 made playoffs in 2002.

I'd be curious why they (DS) forfeited also.
Ineligible player.

Gentlemen,

Somewhere in the dim recesses I seem to remember reading that a 1-win team not only defeated a team that finished the season with only that one loss but that the 1-loss team was on an extended winning streak that covered more than just that season, maybe 2 or 3 seasons. However, for the life of me I can't recall the teams. I want to say it was in Pa. but I'm not sure.

On a related note I once asked a trivia question about what was the worst record of any team that beat an eventual state champion in the regular season. I had to give a few hints but Mr. Slippery finally got the correct answer. In 1991 Cleveland St. Joseph, thinking about it now that may have been the first year they became VASJ, anyway the Vikings finished the season with a 2-8 record. Their second win was an 8-0 shutout over Cleveland St. Ignatius in week 7. I had seen Mooney run St. Joe's out of the stadium, 38-19, in week two so I was totally shocked when I saw that score. St. Ignatius lost to St. Edward the next week to finish the regular season 8-2 but they went on to win the D1 state championship with a 12-2 record.

I can remember that locally in 1997 Springfield Local defeated Columbiana in week one or two and as the season continued and Columbiana kept winning and SL kept losing I though we would see that a 1-9 team defeat a 9-1 team but in week 9 or 10 SL defeated Mathews and finished 2-8. Columbiana did finish 9-1 but lost to Independence in the first round of the playoffs.

This topic also makes me wonder which 1-loss team suffered the worst defeat. For example in 1984 Mooney was 9-0 and Ursuline 8-1 when they played in week 10. The Irish blasted the Cardinals 35-0. In 1990 Boardman was 9-0 when Fitch hammered them 38-0. Way back in 1942 Louisville finished 8-1. The loss wasn't in the last week of the season but that lone loss was a 58-0 beat down administered by Boardman. The Spartans finished 9-0. That's the worst loss I can think of at the moment.

I had one of those and thought I saved it but can’t find it. And…. Any season we didn’t lose to Massillon was memorable 😂