Worst jobs to have

arizonawildcat

I'm torn between a miner, being slightly claustrophic, and a bus driver, the montony of it, the freqent stops, having to deal with people who can't afford a car, etc.

Moderator of all Massillon and Hoban threads.

Had too much fun during spring in Athens my freshman year of college and bombed accounting. Took factory job that summer in Massillon at parents urging. Worst job I ever had. Best GPA of my life that fall. Anything involving Massillon should be avoided

Had too much fun during spring in Athens my freshman year of college and bombed accounting. Took factory job that summer in Massillon at parents urging. Worst job I ever had. Best GPA of my life that fall. Anything involving Massillon should be avoided

Every accounting course after the first one is easy by comparison. Something about that concept of debit vs. credit (in relation to income statement vs. balance sheet) throws many for a loop. :unsure: For me, the same held true for the freshman year (challenging) vs. the others (less challenging).

Now, back to the topic of the thread...

My oldest brother works in manufacturing (Honda) and, frankly, I don't know how he does it. More a man than I am. LOL

I'm torn between a miner, being slightly claustrophic, and a bus driver, the montony of it, the freqent stops, having to deal with people who can't afford a car, etc.

What about the guy on the stool next to heff's behind the parts counter at O'Reilly's ?

Co-workers make or break the job in most cases.

I've worked some very dirty and dangerous jobs but none as worse as an inside manufacturing gig.

In college I got a job on an assembly line and could not even make the day because it was so boring and menatinous. Five minutes felt like 5 hours.

My worst:
- Janitor and cart-pusher at the old Gold Circle chain. We had a trash compactor with an angled delivery chute, and I had to crawl down it occasionally to un-jam boxes. Hot as hell in the summer, plus a constant rank smell from food stuffs - and hazardous with the compactor. Plus cleaning the restrooms. One summer a woman took a monster dump on the bench in the ladies' fitting room, and I had the pleasure of cleaning it up.

-casing (sorting) mail at the post office, back in the day when you couldn't wear headphones, you couldn't sit (you had to lean against a stool), and talking was discouraged. Drove me crazy from the monotony. One holiday weekend I was stuck there by myself two consecutive days. Was almost in tears from boredom.

I'm with arizonawildcat. Come to think of it, being a mine rescue worker would be even worse than being a miner.

Every accounting course after the first one is easy by comparison. Something about that concept of debit vs. credit (in relation to income statement vs. balance sheet) throws many for a loop. :unsure: For me, the same held true for the freshman year (challenging) vs. the others (less challenging).

Now, back to the topic of the thread...

My oldest brother works in manufacturing (Honda) and, frankly, I don't know how he does it. More a man than I am. LOL
Agreed. I’d pretty much flown through math-centric classes before that but the concept of credits and debits didn’t stick until I actually did some homework. The accounting classes after that came easier for me. Have heard similarly from many others including those who stayed with accounting (which I kinda did going into finance)

Roofer, hands down. Helped a neighbour do his roof last year in 90°+ heat and learned that I'll never do another one again. It was damn near unbearable

Roofer, hands down. Helped a neighbour do his roof last year in 90°+ heat and learned that I'll never do another one again. It was damn near unbearable

Imagine the old-style flat roofs with the stinky hot tar. Or re-pavers.

Any wonder those roofing guys seem to drink beer for dinner ?

Similar experience. A couple with friends. One 6 degrees south of the equator, metal roof in the hot-rainy for a cause. Those are nice stories. Those trying to make a living? Nice doctor or druggy bills. Takes a certain body for sure.

My least favorite would be anything to do with human guts. Don't need to see more of that than necessary. Couldn't do police, emt, fire, nurse.... you get the idea. I'd take that sheet home, be in-line with the roofers.

My worst:
- Janitor and cart-pusher at the old Gold Circle chain. :D Plus cleaning the restrooms. One summer a woman took a monster dump on the bench in the ladies' fitting room, and I had the pleasure of cleaning it up.

-casing (sorting) mail at the post office, back in the day when you couldn't wear headphones, you couldn't sit (you had to lean against a stool), and talking was discouraged. Drove me crazy from the monotony. One holiday weekend I was stuck there by myself two consecutive days. Was almost in tears from boredom.

I'm with arizonawildcat. Come to think of it, being a mine rescue worker would be even worse than being a miner.

I had to do the same (as the grocery store co-manager - hell, why not?). Produce and meat department cardboard.
I tried not to think about asho coming by and pushing that red button. Really a dumbas thing to do, but someone had to.

"Now, let's see who can 1) claw their way back up that chute and 2) is the most expendable?"

Similar experience. A couple with friends. One 6 degrees south of the equator, metal roof in the hot-rainy for a cause. Those are nice stories. Those trying to make a living? Nice doctor or druggy bills. Takes a certain body for sure.

My least favorite would be anything to do with human guts. Don't need to see more of that than necessary. Couldn't do police, emt, fire, nurse.... you get the idea. I'd take that sheet home, be in-line with the roofers.

I made it all the way to being a firefighter for the City of Toledo and ended up passing because of the EMT part. Fighting fires, yeah great, but 90% of calls are for EMT related issues. Could never show up to a car accident with a dead kid. Unsure how those guys do that?

I made it all the way to being a firefighter for the City of Toledo and ended up passing because of the EMT part. Fighting fires, yeah great, but 90% of calls are for EMT related issues. Could never show up to a car accident with a dead kid. Unsure how those guys do that?
Like some people survive a life after combat I suppose but with a choice. I guess you have to know your personal wussiness. Me? My eyes bleed when I see someone add 3 to one side of an equation or when I read one of culodecaballo's reply posts. I've had to watch exactly three people die, hold them. My Ma one. It wasn't a peaceful drift but still, that's normal, it's part of life and it's a blessing to be there as opposed to not. Another a stranger bleeding out from a head wound. Can't shake it. Sometimes I forget it but it's never gone. A kid? Not survivable.

Last edited:
Worked at an aluminum and zinc diecasting facility. Talk about hot....have to heat aluminum and zinc to upwards of 1000 degrees. No water allowed in the plant. (Largest die casting disaster ever was caused by a plastic bottle of water falling into the furnace) Had to trim the excess material then wash the parts. That water stunk like nothing I have ever smelled before. Clothes stunk so bad I through them all away.

Like others have said-I could not handle an EMT type job.......

I remember a few years back a list of common jobs that have the highest turn over rate and at the top of the list was Parking Deck Attendant. Supposedly it is beyond monotonous and people are always rude when leaving but the biggest issue is you basically breath carbon monoxide for the entire shift. Also at the top of this list was taxi/ride share driver. Think about who primarily calls for a ride, out of towners that cannot afford car service or in most cases drunk people. .

I would think working in any capacity in a neo-natal intensive care unit. The happy endings to those stories would be awesome, but to have to endure the sad ones would be unbearably awful.

I've worked some very dirty and dangerous jobs but none as worse as an inside manufacturing gig.

In college I got a job on an assembly line and could not even make the day because it was so boring and menatinous. Five minutes felt like 5 hours.
Maybe you can ask a former assy. line worker how to spell monotonous.

irish_buffalo said:

He is a former assy. line worker. Didn't you read the post? "Mentinous" is a real word. It's a German compound of Male (or men) and tinnitus. Means "can't hear men." My ex wife had it. She said she got it from working on an assy. line... or being married to me. I can't recall exactly.

Maybe I will. Was in a hurry and the sad thing is I know how to spell monotonous.

Regardless, was not knocking assembly line workers in the least. I happen to know many. It was just a very difficult job for me. Tough to believe people spend 30 years doing that. Tough gig. I've also done my fair share of roofing. Flat roof, shingle, metal...tough work? Sure, but it is nice to be outside IMO.

Maybe I will. Was in a hurry and the sad thing is I know how to spell monotonous.

Regardless, was not knocking assembly line workers in the least. I happen to know many. It was just a very difficult job for me. Tough to believe people spend 30 years doing that. Tough gig. I've also done my fair share of roofing. Flat roof, shingle, metal...tough work? Sure, but it is nice to be outside IMO.
Agreed, it is good to be outdoors when ever possible.