Wk.11: #12 University School (6-3) vs #5 VASJ (7-3) | D-III Region 9 1st Round

C'Town216

Matchup: #12 University School Preppers (6-3) @ #5 VASJ Vikings (7-3)
When: October 27th, 2023
Kickoff: 7pm
Last meeting: 10/19/19, VASJ 40, US 28
2023 Common Opponents: Gilmour Academy
Cal Preps Projection: VASJ by 22
Winner faces winner of #4 Kenston/#13 Dover @ higher seeds home field.

Last edited:

Another twist in the field scenario. per John Kampf of the News Herald, VASJ got the thumbs up from OHSAA and University School to host Friday night’s game at Gutbrod Field.
IMG_3390.jpeg

I live not far from there (Willowick), I may have to check out this game at Gutbrod field.

That or St. Ignatius at Mentor.

Here is a look into how the Vikings look coming into Fridays matchup.

The Vikings look to wear down US’s defense with their run game involving Amani Powell and 4 start D-I prospect Bo Jackson who both are tough to stop of the defense is not ready or does not bode well against the run. With Steuball being out with a concussion for the past two weeks, the Vikes have been trotting out their backup QB Johnny Virach (not sure on spelling) who has ties being the nephew of the Rossman brothers who were on the 2003 State Runner Up team and has faired well when starting against St.V and CCC. Not sure who will be under center but would not be shocked to see Steuball back or Johnny V. out there.

The defense can be very Jekyll and Hyde where against weaker opponents they are dominant but can give up big plays against more explosive, higher powered offenses. I do expect this one to be a a couple score game but can’t under mine US as they’ve played a fairly tough schedule themeselves.

Here is a look into how the Vikings look coming into Fridays matchup.

The Vikings look to wear down US’s defense with their run game involving Amani Powell and 4 start D-I prospect Bo Jackson who both are tough to stop of the defense is not ready or does not bode well against the run. With Steuball being out with a concussion for the past two weeks, the Vikes have been trotting out their backup QB Johnny Virach (not sure on spelling) who has ties being the nephew of the Rossman brothers who were on the 2003 State Runner Up team and has faired well when starting against St.V and CCC. Not sure who will be under center but would not be shocked to see Steuball back or Johnny V. out there.

The defense can be very Jekyll and Hyde where against weaker opponents they are dominant but can give up big plays against more explosive, higher powered offenses. I do expect this one to be a a couple score game but can’t under mine US as they’ve played a fairly tough schedule themeselves.
There was a John Virach ( spelling?) that played for Joes in the late 70's/Early 80's. Is this his son?

End of 3

VASJ 48
US 7

pending a Dover improbable comeback, VASJ vs Kenston Part II next week in Bainbridge