Why heat winners need to advance

mathking

Tonight our #1 100 dash kid ran in the third heat, win his heat by a half second, but a huge wind came up for that heat and he ended up ninth and not in finals even though he was seeded #1.

Tonight our #1 100 dash kid ran in the third heat, win his heat by a half second, but a huge wind came up for that heat and he ended up ninth and not in finals even though he was seeded #1.

I feel your pain. As we discussed in another thread, for qualification purposes, I'm in favor of a combination of some sort of the top couple of places plus next fastest times, just like they do in the big leagues.

Yeah I'd call -5.9 a pretty massive headwind, and more than double the next windiest heat.

It never makes sense not to qualify at least the winner.

We had a whole heat of boys 400 with no times. Luckily finishtiming always hand times heats. The coaches did not want to run heat again on time (most kids would never rerun their time).

the 9th best time wasnt even close to the 8th time even though it was hand timed.

I feel your pain. As we discussed in another thread, for qualification purposes, I'm in favor of a combination of some sort of the top couple of places plus next fastest times, just like they do in the big leagues.

Yeah, me too. A few years ago at our conference meeting this came up and I thought we should do it, but didn't push hard enough for it. So it will be something to think about changing for next year.