Who's going to the Wendy's Spring Classic next week?

Wondering who all is going to the Wendy's. Seems like they never up date the website, so thought maybe we could find out on Yappi.

I always enjoyed the Wendy's Classic in the past. Unfortunately, they haven't been promoting it well for at least a decade. More than a few times the games snuck up on me and were being played before I realized it was that weekend.

I had a chance to go down to the stadium in Ashland last Summer for a youth tournament. Personally, I think it's the best stadium to watch/play softball.

Here's what I have been able to piece together (not a complete schedule):

Friday 4/26:

Ashland v. Lebanon 5:00 PM
Greenville v. Mt. St. Dominic 5:00 PM
Miamisburg v. Madison 7:00 PM (BW#3)
North Union v. Leo (IN) 7:00 PM (BW#2)
Austintown Fitch v. Hillsdale 7:00 PM
Mason v. Teays Valley 7:00 PM

Saturday 4/27:

Greenville v. Hillsdale 9:00 AM
Ashland v. Donovan Catholic 9:00 AM
Ontario v. Lebanon 9:00 AM
Austintown v. Mt. St. Dominic 11:00 AM
Mason v. Bristol 11:00 AM
Miamisburg v. Leo (IN) 11:00 (Main)
Greenville v. Austintown Fitch 1:00 PM
Ashland v. Ontario 1:00 PM
Donovan Catholic v. Lebanon 1:00 PM
Miamisburg v. North Union 3:00 PM (BW#3)
Mason v. Canfield 3:00 PM
Leo v. Madison 3:00 PM (BW #1)

No offense to the Falcons, but why is Austintown Fitch in the Wendy's field? I thought only schools in the Ashland area and schools with a championship history were invited to the Wendy's Invitational? Just curious. Have qualifications changed over the years?

Ah . . . just saw that although the website doesn't look updated that the 2019 schedules are list under the 2018 link:

http://www.wendysspringclassic.com/

Pool A - Schedule/Results
Date Time Field
April 26 5:00 PM Main Greenville vs. MSDA
April 26 7:00 PM Main Fitch vs. Hillsdale
April 27 9:00 AM BW #3 Greenville vs. Hillsdale
April 27 11:00 AM BW #2 Fitch vs. MSDA
April 27 1:00 PM BW #2 Hillsdale vs. MSDA
April 27 1:00 PM BW #3 Fitch vs. Greenville

Pool B - Schedule/Results
Date Time Field
April 26 5:00 PM BW #1 Donovan vs. Ontario
April 26 5:00 PM BW #2 Ashland vs. Lebanon
April 27 9:00 AM BW #1 Ashland vs. Donovan
April 27 9:00 AM BW #2 Lebanon vs. Ontario
April 27 1:00 PM Main Donovan vs. Lebanon
April 27 1:00 PM BW #1 Ashland vs. Ontario

Pool C - Schedule/Results
Date Time Field
April 25 5:00 PM Main Bristol vs. Canfield
April 26 7:00 PM BW #1 Mason vs. Teays Valley
April 27 11:00 AM BW #1 Bristol vs. Mason
April 27 11:00 AM BW #3 Canfield vs. Teays Valley
April 27 3:00 PM Main Bristol vs. Teays Valley
April 27 3:00 PM BW #2 Canfield vs. Mason

Pool D - Schedule/Results
Date Time Field
April 26 7:00 PM BW #2 Leo vs. North Union
April 26 7:00 PM BW #3 Madison vs. Miamisburg
April 27 9:00 AM Main Madison vs. North Union
April 27 11:00 AM Main Leo vs. Miamisburg
April 27 3:00 PM BW #1 Leo vs. Madison
April 27 3:00 PM BW #3 Miamisburg vs. North Union

I'm biased of course, but not one Federal League school in the Wendy's Invitational? It would seem that the best softball league in Ohio should have one representative in the field every year, no? Perry or North Canton Hoover should be automatic every year IMHO.

Fitch beat Hoover this year. Lost to Perry in 6 but had opportunities and had a really bad inning where Perry lit it up. While I completely agree, the history goes to the Federal League, Fitch is a scrappy team with some talent there

Have always had respect for Fitch softball program. Most years they are a tough out but they have never advanced to the state tournament. I always thought that was one of the criteria to play in the Wendy's? Hoover is down this year but their history would qualify them most other seasons.

i suspect the answer lies in the other post here about the Prebis Memorial which is the same weekend this year. I suspect this was more about the schools' choices/scheduling versus not being invited. Wendy's was pushed back because of Easter weekend.

Unless Wendy's changed it format there is no way to say who you play the 2nd or 3rd game, that is because it based off if you win or lose. The only game you will know who you play is rd 1.

8 team pools

4 upper half, 4 lower half

rd 1
all teams play
rd 2
winners play winners of rd1/ losers play losers of rd1
rd 3
winners of the winners bracket play for the championship
loser of the winners bracket play for 3rd
winners of the consolation bracket play for 5th
losers of the consolation bracket play for 7th

Last edited:
Have always had respect for Fitch softball program. Most years they are a tough out but they have never advanced to the state tournament. I always thought that was one of the criteria to play in the Wendy's? Hoover is down this year but their history would qualify them most other seasons.

Thanks BuckeyeUrban,

Qualifications are
1. State
2. Regional
3. Outstanding Pitcher

And yes looks like the top of Fed is in the Keystone that weekend too, minus Lake.

Why would they put Prebis and Wendy's the same weekend? That's ego's getting in the way of common sense.

Unfortunate they are the same weekend. Lake plays #1 Mount Vernon, #7 Amherst Steele, and an unranked but always good Elyria at Keystone. Should be a great test for the Blue Streaks!

Format for Wendy' s this year is 3 set pool games and not tournament format. I've seen it both ways the last few years. May have also something to do with the 2 teams that refused to play the championship game in one of the pools last year (I believe Hoover and Perry -- not certain though).

Hoover and Perry shouldn't be forced to play outside of their league games... the set-up was wonky.

Format for Wendy' s this year is 3 set pool games and not tournament format. I've seen it both ways the last few years. May have also something to do with the 2 teams that refused to play the championship game in one of the pools last year (I believe Hoover and Perry -- not certain though).

Last year that did happen. Both coaches called and said they didn't want to have to play each other again and asked for one of them to be switched to a different pool. Wendy's would not accommodate their request. Why would a team want to go to Wendy's and play a league opponent? They play twice in the league and possible a 3rd time in the districts (which they did).

I agree, Wendy's shouldn't have scheduled that way and put them them in the same pool where they had a chance to play each other. Just saying that may have factored in having 3 set pool games (idk, I'm not affiliated with them). It did cause issues in having to redo the pool bracket in the middle of the tournament. I see bad scheduling all the time in travel ball. Travel 400 miles and play a local team that you have played several times already. Just The TDs or committees or whoever decides these things not taking the time.

I like the Wendy's Spring Classic, but it could be better.

Wondering who all is going to the Wendy's. Seems like they never up date the website, so thought maybe we could find out on Yappi.

I guess no one is now. Cancelled because of weather.

From what I see with weather report it's supposed to clear up this afternoon and not much chance of rain tomorrow till early evening. Doesn't seem like they even wanted to try to get games in.

unless their fields require several days to dry out, i would think you could of gotten them ready for games -- at least on Saturday.