What school has been Runner Up the most?

That ain’t nice I’m just bored because ain’t no games left to watch and all I want to do is watch the boys play some ball!!!
There are a ton of Ohio highschool games on YouTube. Enough that you could watch one or
two every day until they kick it off next August. If you're into smaller school ball the WOSN
channel has 50 or more games all broadcast in 1080P quality with NO COMMERCIALS. Can't
beat that. OH Report is another channel with a lot of games. For people interested in
Massillon, WHS channel recently uploaded most of the Tigers' games for the 2022 season.

Schools that are undefeated in Championship game appearances.

Wins - School
4 - LaSalle
3 - Germantown Valley View
2 - Carey
2 - Gahanna Columbus Academy
2 - Hilliard Davidson
2 - McComb
2 - New Bremen
2 - Tiffin Calvert
2 - West Jefferson
2 - Wheelersburg

(31) are 1-0.
Undefeated 2-0! can't wait to get back! Also I agree it is a great accomplishment for all of the schools that are consistantly right there, very tough to even get there.

Should be pointed out that getting to the final game is a hell of an accomplishment.

Only 114 schools have won championships and three of those no longer exist. In addition to those 114 eighty-one (81) schools have made it to the finals without winning. There have been 278 championship games played since 1972 which means of course that 556 teams had a chance to make the finals, maybe not realistically but mathematically 556 had a chance. As of right now only 195 have done so.

"If it was easy everyone would do it!"

Only 114 schools have won championships and three of those no longer exist. In addition to those 114 eighty-one (81) schools have made it to the finals without winning. There have been 278 championship games played since 1972 which means of course that 556 teams had a chance to make the finals, maybe not realistically but mathematically 556 had a chance. As of right now only 195 have done so.

Buuuuuuut...it's so watered down and easy to win titles noawaday.....

The frustrating thing about Ironton's losses are that 4 were very close - and 3 of those involved very controversial calls that had big impacts on the losses.
*1988: Lost to ASVSM 14-12. On one of our two-point conversions, a WR caught the pass literally with a foot on the goalline & it was ruled no good. It was close. Later, ASVSM threw a long pass from about their 40 down to our 10-15 or so. They ruled it a catch. I saw the film later & it was not a catch. He had to dive, and the ball bounced off the turf up to his chest. They called it complete & they scored a couple of plays later.
*1993: Lost to Wauseon 13-10 on a last second field goal. The 1st attempt was no good - but they called roughing the kicker. The 2nd try was good. I've always heard that the kicker admitted that he just took a dive (don't know if it's true or not).
*1999: Lost to Sandusky Perkins 17-14 (I think that was the score). One guy references this game on here sometimes. Anyway, Ironton was up 14-10 and went for it on 4th & 1 at the 20-something yard line. They didn't make it. I've talked to people who - and read where others - swear up & down that were were seated at that yard line & say Mike Henry got that first down.

I was blessed enough to be on one the 2 title teams. But, these games haunt Ironton fans to this day.

Coldwater.
7 runners up. Probably at or near the top.

Also have 7 championships.

All since 1998.

But they play in the pee wee divisions so it may not count
I wouldn’t be surprised if D5 2023 title game will be the two schools with the most. Ironton vs Coldwater

9 - Ironton
7 - Coldwater
7 - Newark Catholic
6 - Columbus St. Francis DeSales
6 - Massillon Washington
5 - Kirtland
5 - Mogadore
5 - Steubenville
5 - Trotwood-Madison
5 - Warren John F. Kennedy
4 - Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
4 - Huber Heights Wayne
4 - Mentor
4 - Norwalk St. Paul
4 - Youngstown Cardinal Mooney

(15) with 3
(29) with 2
(95) with 1

(278) runner-up finishes over 51 years.
Ok, you are always on top of stats faster than I can think up the questions, but this one has been bugging me for a few years.

What team has lost the most times to the eventual state champions?

I would nominate Covington as a contender for such a title as they play MAC schools in their region which go on to win titles.

Ok, you are always on top of stats faster than I can think up the questions, but this one has been bugging me for a few years.

I would nominate Covington as a contender for such a title as they play MAC schools in their region which go on to win titles.

I never really looked at it so I may be wrong on this, but I believe that Ironton & Newark Catholic have lost to an eventual champion 12 times each, 9 times in the final for Ironton & 7 for NC. I would think that has to be close to the top. Any of the teams that are on the list of most runner-up finishes would be a candidate I would think.

Youngstown Cardinal Mooney has lost to an eventual state champion 11 times, in 5 different divisions.

I think Coldwater has lost to a champ 10 times, 7 in the finals.

I never really looked at it so I may be wrong on this, but I believe that Ironton & Newark Catholic have lost to an eventual champion 12 times each, 9 times in the final for Ironton & 7 for NC. I would think that has to be close to the top. Any of the teams that are on the list of most runner-up finishes would be a candidate I would think.

Youngstown Cardinal Mooney has lost to an eventual state champion 11 times, in 5 different divisions.

I believe that, in the regional stage, NC has only lost to the eventual champion of their region three times (FC ‘98, Ready ‘13 and Harvest Prep ‘19) and none of those teams won the state title. So it boils down to a) how many NEO teams that offed them in state semi’s went on to win & b) how many times in the 70’s and 80’s they lost in semis to schools like Fenwick, Calvert, Mogadore and St Henry as opposed to in state finals.

I believe that, in the regional stage, NC has only lost to the eventual champion of their region three times (FC ‘98, Ready ‘13 and Harvest Prep ‘19) and none of those teams won the state title. So it boils down to a) how many NEO teams that offed them in state semi’s went on to win & b) how many times in the 70’s and 80’s they lost in semis to schools like Fenwick, Calvert, Mogadore and St Henry as opposed to in state finals.
In addition to the 7 times they lost in the finals, NC lost to a champion in 1974 (Fenwick), 76 (West Jefferson), 1990 (St. Henry), 1993 (Steubenville CC) & 2002 (Mogadore). I think that's it.

There are a ton of Ohio highschool games on YouTube. Enough that you could watch one or
two every day until they kick it off next August ... For people interested in
Massillon, WHS channel recently uploaded most of the Tigers' games for the 2022 season.
Aren't coaches trying to squelch this? Opposing staffs could learn a lot by watching nearly an entire season's worth of your team's games.

I was thinking about teams on the runner-up list, and I think Steubenville has lost to a state champ 13 times. Five times in the finals plus 1982, 2009 & 2011 (Cardinal Mooney), 1989 (Cleveland St. Joseph), 1994 (West Branch), 1999 (Poland), 2003 & 14 (Cleveland Benedictine).

I'm going to have to check Mogadore. I know they have lost to a champion several times in addition to the 5 losses in the finals.

Looks like Mogadore is at 12.

Last edited:

What you say makes total sense if you believe the regions are roughly equal in ability. But , if one region is consistently better than the rest (not saying one is) then you could expect a team to potentially repeatedly get deep in the regionals only to have the powers of their region pass them again. That number for Newark is pretty amazing. I would doubt anyone else would top 12.

9 - Ironton
7 - Coldwater
7 - Newark Catholic
6 - Columbus St. Francis DeSales
6 - Massillon Washington
5 - Kirtland
5 - Mogadore
5 - Steubenville
5 - Trotwood-Madison
5 - Warren John F. Kennedy
4 - Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
4 - Huber Heights Wayne
4 - Mentor
4 - Norwalk St. Paul
4 - Youngstown Cardinal Mooney

(15) with 3
(29) with 2
(95) with 1

(278) runner-up finishes over 51 years.
That's the list. Greatness courts failure.

But but, something something participation trophies.

I would like to know how many schools have never made the final four in football.

I would like to know how many schools have never made the final four in football.
Well, 312 teams have won at least one regional title. A handful of them are no longer around but if you subtract the 312 from the number OHSAA lists as football playing schools currently you will be close.

Well, 312 teams have won at least one regional title. A handful of them are no longer around but if you subtract the 312 from the number OHSAA lists as football playing schools currently you will be close.
Of the 747 teams in my data that have qualified for the playoffs, I'm showing 435 have never been a semifinalist. My list of teams, though, will likely differ from that of @YTOWN as I started my list based on the OHSAA file readily available online.

As my dad is wont to say, "Close enough for government work."

Last edited:
The program sold at the state final games this year states that Ironton, Coldwater, and Newark Catholic have all finished runner-up 7 times.

Of the 747 teams in my data that have qualified for the playoffs, I'm showing 435 have never been a semifinalist. My list of teams, though, will likely differ from that of @YTOWN as I started my list based on the OHSAA file readily available online.

As my dad was wont to say, "Close enough for government work."

Obviously if 747 is the total number of qualifying teams subtracting the 312 teams that have won a region will yield 435 teams that have never made it to the final four. Those totals will include a few teams that no longer exist though.

The total number of teams that have qualified may differ depending on how one treats mergers, etc.

The program sold at the state final games this year states that Ironton, Coldwater, and Newark Catholic have all finished runner-up 7 times.

It does but in the case of Ironton it is incorrect. Coming into this season the Tigers had finished as a runner-up 8 times, now 9.

I glance through some of these dozens/hundreds of "Massillon" threads ... and this one seems to be created for that purpose. I try to stay out of it, but I'm curious, if Massillon were to offer any team in the state a home-and-home, how many would take them up on it? How many would win even one of the two? How many would win both?

Massillon's 15 or whatever it is Final Fours/state-runner ups (all at either D1 or D2) is, as an outsider, very impressive, especially since it goes back every decade since the the playoffs have been instituted.

Would Coldwater (or any of the MAC schools that have multiple state titles all since the playoffs were expanded to 4-plus divisions) take Massillon up on the offer? Would Massillon even be interested in something like that?

I'd enjoy reading a constructive thread on the whole Massillon topic ... With that, I probably just threw even more gasoline on this fire, lol, and this will go about as well as any other "Massillon" thread.
Massillon does their best to avoid traveling.

I don't know if it's the most because of a short history, but Fort Loramie has been eliminated by the state champion every year since 2017 (six in a row). Also eliminated by the champ in 2013, for a total of 7 times since the first ever playoff berth in 2009 (program started in 2005). The team didn't make it in 2016, but has been in every other playoff since 2009 (i.e. 13 times) meaning the future champion has ended the Redskins season more times than not.

I don't know if it's the most because of a short history, but Fort Loramie has been eliminated by the state champion every year since 2017 (six in a row). Also eliminated by the champ in 2013, for a total of 7 times since the first ever playoff berth in 2009 (program started in 2005). The team didn't make it in 2016, but has been in every other playoff since 2009 (i.e. 13 times) meaning the future champion has ended the Redskins season more times than not.
Now that there is very interesting!

I have been a huge fan of Loramie football. And I remember those early days. My sons all played against them back in the early years. To lose to the eventual state champion more than 50% of the time, and never getting there yourself, seems an impossible stat to surpass.

To me what it says about Loramie football, is they are very, very good. You have to be good enough to make it into the path of the champ to accomplish what Loramie has.

All I Think About Big Brother GIF by Big Brother After Dark