What Happened To The Winning Team Of 2007?

SPORTSLIFE1

Moeller is missing a lot of players that the class of 2007 had. They had a strong running game and a heck of defense. There was no doubt that this team wouldn't made it to the playoffs and bringing home the ball with a winning season. What happened to the back up Running back #21 for Martez last year! He was Definitely a Power Runner and he is much needed this season. That's the problem with moeller if it ain't broke don't fix it. Put all your players that you have left that played freshman and Jv back on the field and lets bring it home this season!

Marino Hall (#21) is now playing a LB/Safety spot on defense. You are wrong though, he was not any better than Uecker, and I really think the best RB may be the sophomore Patrick Blanks (brother of Marcus and David). Offense was missing some players against Colerain with Cherry(WR), Curtain(WR), and Higgins(FB) all out. They will be alright...

Is the Thomas kid that transferred in still on the team? He was supposed to be a decent receiver. His dad is UC's AD.

Wheelman said:
Is the Thomas kid that transferred in still on the team? He was supposed to be a decent receiver. His dad is UC's AD.

Yes. I think he is a sophomore, but he might wind up with some PT before it is all said and done. From what I hear Guiffre might be the guy to platoon with Uecker in the backfield, with maybe a lot of one-back rotating those two and Higgins.

I have seen him play a few times, and though he may not be ready yet, this kid will be a good one for the next two years IMO...

Well, apparently Thomas is school shopping. Moe last year, IH this year. Ruby did that too. And Morris and others. Lots of guys don't want to take a back seat to betteryounger players or older upperclassmen so they transfer to other schools. Moeller's third string used to be able to beat other teams starters. Not many are willing to take that role anymore.
As to the class of 2007 when they were Freshman, lots of things happen. Guys who came in bigger and stronger get caught up to by guys who hit puberty later and guys who actually put in the time in the weight room. Guys who got by on ability don't always learn the game at the next level and get passed by. Guys just quit, or don't make grades, or go school shopping. Lots of things happen. Put your Freshman team back out there and watch them get their butts whipped!

Vox Crusada said:
Well, apparently Thomas is school shopping. Moe last year, IH this year. Ruby did that too. And Morris and others. Lots of guys don't want to take a back seat to betteryounger players or older upperclassmen so they transfer to other schools. Moeller's third string used to be able to beat other teams starters. Not many are willing to take that role anymore.
As to the class of 2007 when they were Freshman, lots of things happen. Guys who came in bigger and stronger get caught up to by guys who hit puberty later and guys who actually put in the time in the weight room. Guys who got by on ability don't always learn the game at the next level and get passed by. Guys just quit, or don't make grades, or go school shopping. Lots of things happen. Put your Freshman team back out there and watch them get their butts whipped!

You've hit the nail on the head. I question whether or not its the kid that does'nt want to take on that role or the parent who can't make the adjustment.

Someones got to explain to me why a kid would want to leave a baseball program (Especially his senior year), that has produced and continues to produce the type of players that this program.

cintihssportsfanatic said:
I think these kids and their parents have no clue what kind of committment it takes these days to be an elite athlete at a program like Moeller. Generally, they are soft, spoiled and think because they could dominate in grade school that they are destined to be great HS athletes. Freshman level is too close to CYO. Varsity programs are too sophisticated to compare to the freshman level. When things don't go their way, they pack up and run. Go to Mason, Indian Hill or wherever and good luck to them. If that is their mentality, they wouldn't be able to help get it done against X anyway. If these Moeller kids (and parents) don't realize what they have to do to compete with X, the gap will get wider than it already seems to be.
Interesting how the blame is being laid on the families. In reality I think you have to look at this as a progression. The impression, whether it's true or not doesn't matter, is that there are a few select parents who seem to have a lot of influence on the decisions being made. Again, whether it is true or not is beside the point because perception becomes people's truth. Even now, notice how fans from other schools noticed the "big guy" on Moeller's sideline yelling at players and even going out on the field last week to get a time out when Moe only had 10 men on the field. What is this guy even doing on the sideline?

Whether it is money or just personal relationships there are too many people on the sidelines and getting involved in decision making. It ends up giving the impression that there is a lot of favoritism being played and the best players are not getting to play.

What a cop out to lay the blame on the players and the parents. You mean to tell me Coombs, Ramsey, Mancuso, Specht and Faust don't/didn't have parents who think the sun rises and sets according to what their son does? Its how you deal with the arrogant families that ultimately influences your program.

Someone mentioned it in one of the other threads that for years there was the impression that if you gave enough money your kid would play. I believe there is some truth to that. But again impressions become people's reality.

Moeller football seems to have sold itself out a long time ago to the power of money and along the way forgot about the basics that made it a great football school. They need to get back to those basics.

One more thing that I think you did not cover is the way you motivate the kids. So you are telling me that St. X kids with all the wealth over there are any less spoiled than the kids at Moeller? Specht sure seems to get them to stay around and work hard and perform every week.

Bottomline, its about leadership. A good strong leader finds ways to get people to perform. For far too long we have heard all the excuses from "we don't get the athlete" to the one you elaborated on above. It's been a long time since I have heard anyone from Moeller's admin and coaching staff come out and say, we need to look at ourselves and analyze what we are doing that is creating such animosity within our organization and alumni in regards to the football program. I am not saying we will win 7 titles in 10 years but there is enough talent at Moeller to have won at least 1 or 2 titles since 1985.

Again, the above post is just another ranting and raving putting the blame on someone else instead of standing up and being a leader and admitting we need to do something different to get the job done.

You will always have a few families like you described above. But that is not what is wrong with Moeller football right now. And until we as a community quit making excuses it won't get any better.

Last edited:
Vox Crusada said:

First of all, MoeDude, excellent post. It's good to hear from Moe fans that still "get it".:clap:

Next if you for an instant think that Ryan Morris was school shopping for any reason, you are misinformed and need a pass on the "clue bus". I know Ryan and his family very well. They are good people and a good family. Let's get not go through the reasons why he left at this juncture. It's water under the bridge. Let's focus on leadership and game preparation to beat the Middies and take the first step to turning this thing around. GoMoe!

MoeDude hit the nail right on the head. But really people leaving is normal. Honestly probably the biggest problem recently is the lack of talented line play on offense. I mean last year Martez Williams ran for like 1550 yards in spite of his line. Shows you how good he was. It just seems like every team recently has been missing one crucial piece. Although let me tell you, if Moe wins that nailbiter with Colerain in 03, they would have won state, guaranteed.

MoeDude said:
Interesting how the blame is being laid on the families. In reality I think you have to look at this as a progression. The impression, whether it's true or not doesn't matter, is that there are a few select parents who seem to have a lot of influence on the decisions being made. Again, whether it is true or not is beside the point because perception becomes people's truth. Even now, notice how fans from other schools noticed the "big guy" on Moeller's sideline yelling at players and even going out on the field last week to get a time out when Moe only had 10 men on the field. What is this guy even doing on the sideline?

Whether it is money or just personal relationships there are too many people on the sidelines and getting involved in decision making. It ends up giving the impression that there is a lot of favoritism being played and the best players are not getting to play.

What a cop out to lay the blame on the players and the parents. You mean to tell me Coombs, Ramsey, Mancuso, Specht and Faust don't/didn't have parents who think the sun rises and sets according to what their son does? Its how you deal with the arrogant families that ultimately influences your program.

Someone mentioned it in one of the other threads that for years there was the impression that if you gave enough money your kid would play. I believe there is some truth to that. But again impressions become people's reality.

Moeller football seems to have sold itself out a long time ago to the power of money and along the way forgot about the basics that made it a great football school. They need to get back to those basics.

One more thing that I think you did not cover is the way you motivate the kids. So you are telling me that St. X kids with all the wealth over there are any less spoiled than the kids at Moeller? Specht sure seems to get them to stay around and work hard and perform every week.

Bottomline, its about leadership. A good strong leader finds ways to get people to perform. For far too long we have heard all the excuses from "we don't get the athlete" to the one you elaborated on above. It's been a long time since I have heard anyone from Moeller's admin and coaching staff come out and say, we need to look at ourselves and analyze what we are doing that is creating such animosity within our organization and alumni in regards to the football program. I am not saying we will win 7 titles in 10 years but there is enough talent at Moeller to have won at least 1 or 2 titles since 1985.

Again, the above post is just another ranting and raving putting the blame on someone else instead of standing up and being a leader and admitting we need to do something different to get the job done.

You will always have a few families like you described above. But that is not what is wrong with Moeller football right now. And until we as a community quit making excuses it won't get any better.

I agree with some of what you say but not all. The big guy on the sideline was linebacker coach Chris Willertz, not some big money guy. Name one kid that you think is playing because his family gave money. They may be playing because of work ethic but I don't think it's money. I posted in another thread that I think Moeller has lost a great athlete or two because of the turmoil at Moeller. What parent with a son that can really play would put them in that situation when there are other great options? You yourself are contemplating those options.

I do wonder why Moeller's coach doesn't seem to be motivating the players. Coach Faust and Klonne used to do it. Coach Specht, Coombs and Ramsey can do it now. Why can't Moeller's coaches?

Wheelman said:
I agree with some of what you say but not all. The big guy on the sideline was linebacker coach Chris Willertz, not some big money guy. Name one kid that you think is playing because his family gave money. They may be playing because of work ethic but I don't think it's money. I posted in another thread that I think Moeller has lost a great athlete or two because of the turmoil at Moeller. What parent with a son that can really play would put them in that situation when there are other great options? You yourself are contemplating those options.

I do wonder why Moeller's coach doesn't seem to be motivating the players. Coach Faust and Klonne used to do it. Coach Specht, Coombs and Ramsey can do it now. Why can't Moeller's coaches?
If that was Coach Willertz then it makes some other observations very strange:
1. This guy never stood with the other coaches. Instead he was constantly pacing up and down the sidelines.
2. During halftime he came up into the stands and sat and talked with other parents/fans.
3. He was yelling at some offensive players at one point.
4. After the game he returned to the stands to talk to parents/fans.

Again, two things here. If he was a defensive coach why is he yelling at the offense and why did he not go into the locker room with the team at halftime and stay with the team after the game?

There are just too many non-coaches on Moeller's sideline and I believe it adds to confusion that you see when we only have 10 men on the field.

Again, I can't answer your question about who is playing because of donations, all I am saying is that for years that has been the impression because I believe there were some years that may have been the case. But "impressions are people's reallity".

Wheelman said:
Do you agree with my view of Moeller losing out on some good athletes?
If this continues yes! But you originally said Moeller wasn't getting the athletes. I disagreed with that part of the statement. This current regime HAS HAD the athletes. By the way, I have heard from a couple other parents who either had son's graduate from Moeller or have a son there now and have another younger son and they are seriously looking at not sending them to Moeller so yes, at this point in time your statement is becoming true unless something drastic is turned around.

This senior class has talent PERIOD and LOTS of it...

What has happened to them if they can't turn this around is criminal.

With each passing day, Moeller will lose more athletes to X as well as public schools like West.

Its not to late to right the ship... but boy is it teetering!

MoeDude said:
If this continues yes! But you originally said Moeller wasn't getting the athletes. I disagreed with that part of the statement. This current regime HAS HAD the athletes. By the way, I have heard from a couple other parents who either had son's graduate from Moeller or have a son there now and have another younger son and they are seriously looking at not sending them to Moeller so yes, at this point in time your statement is becoming true unless something drastic is turned around.

Actually, I said this from the beginning and I did use you as the example.

monte said:
This senior class has talent PERIOD and LOTS of it...

What has happened to them if they can't turn this around is criminal.

With each passing day, Moeller will lose more athletes to X as well as public schools like West.

Its not to late to right the ship... but boy is it teetering!

I hope they get it righted one way or the other. After looking at NewMoe 06's post on "Just the facts", it's been going downhill for awhile.

MoeDude said:
If that was Coach Willertz then it makes some other observations very strange:
1. This guy never stood with the other coaches. Instead he was constantly pacing up and down the sidelines.
2. During halftime he came up into the stands and sat and talked with other parents/fans.
3. He was yelling at some offensive players at one point.
4. After the game he returned to the stands to talk to parents/fans.

Again, two things here. If he was a defensive coach why is he yelling at the offense and why did he not go into the locker room with the team at halftime and stay with the team after the game?

There are just too many non-coaches on Moeller's sideline and I believe it adds to confusion that you see when we only have 10 men on the field.

Again, I can't answer your question about who is playing because of donations, all I am saying is that for years that has been the impression because I believe there were some years that may have been the case. But "impressions are people's reallity".
you guys are talking about two different guys!

never win again......

Moeller will win again......not every year...but the spirit is not dead. Elder was terrible for about a 10 year span, X stunk bad for a long time, Who was Colerain before a few years ago?? The Crusaders will be back!

Wheelman said:
I think you're right but what changes need to be made to get there? Let's get it done.
AMEN!! facilities obviously will attract good kids, the turf will go down in November. and a few other changes.......

leatherhelmet77 said:
AMEN!! facilities obviously will attract good kids, the turf will go down in November. and a few other changes.......

I do think the new field in back will help but I also think we need to stop the infighting....real or preception.