Virginia College May Change Mascot Because 'Wasps' Isn't Inclusive

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Emory & Henry College in Virginia has announced to students the school will re-examine its wasp mascot. Why? The bug may appear “exclusive” to students who are not White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, or “WASPs.”

While a public outcry over racism continues around the nation, the college is already concerned that its two historical namesakes — Methodist Episcopal Church bishop John Emory and founding father Patrick Henry — were slave holders. The school mascot has also come under scrutiny.

I look at this in the opposite manor. As a white Anglo Saxon Protestant the term wasp is offensive to me. I am also Irish so the term Fighting Irish is offensive to me. Notre Dame should follow the leadership of Emory & Henry

Isn't there a high school in Ohio called the Africentric Nubians? That isn't diverse or inclusive by any standards and should be considered extremely offensive. Isn't diversity our strength?

Will they be changing their name soon to be more inclusive and welcoming?

Who gives a rip what a small Virginia college does with their mascot?
The shame should be the individuals who over pay to go to this school to learn about the merits of Marxism and the evils of the spirit of 1776. Only to find out they are in 120K debt with no prospects of employment except as a rioter and looter for BLM.

Isn't there a high school in Ohio called the Africentric Nubians? That isn't diverse or inclusive by any standards and should be considered extremely offensive. Isn't diversity our strength?

I've always thought Nubians was a great-sounding nickname. "Nubian" refers to a particular ethnic group from what is now the area of southern Egypt and northern Sudan. If you can have high school teams with regional ethnic names like Irish or Celtics, or various regional Indian tribes, why not the Nubians? Nobody complains about the Walnut Ridge Scots being non-inclusive - and they're one of Africentric's Columbus City rivals.

Columbus City Schools also has a K-8 French language immersion school called Ecole Kenwood. If they ever expand it to high school and have sports teams, I think the Fighting Franks would be an excellent choice for a nickname. They could have a student wearing an oversized Charles Martel costume waving a giant hammer to help lead cheers. ;)

In over 10 years of driving by the Africentric Nubians, I never saw a 'white' kid enter
or exit the building.

Africentric occupied the old Columbus Mohawk on Livingston Ave. between I-70
and German Village. The building is slated for demolition for I-70 improvements.
A new wide campus has been built on the East edge of Bexley just off James Road
and south of the Airport.

I remember in 2005 the students calling the OHSAA every name in the book when
they had to forfeit a Boys Basketball Title for an ineligible player.

:>---

SALT

I've always thought Nubians was a great-sounding nickname. "Nubian" refers to a particular ethnic group from what is now the area of southern Egypt and northern Sudan. If you can have high school teams with regional ethnic names like Irish or Celtics, or various regional Indian tribes, why not the Nubians? Nobody complains about the Walnut Ridge Scots being non-inclusive - and they're one of Africentric's Columbus City rivals.

Columbus City Schools also has a K-8 French language immersion school called Ecole Kenwood. If they ever expand it to high school and have sports teams, I think the Fighting Franks would be an excellent choice for a nickname. They could have a student wearing an oversized Charles Martel costume waving a giant hammer to help lead cheers. ;)
I can't keep up with which nicknames are offensive and which are to be celebrated. Scots? Irish? Nubians? Celts? Indians? Vikings? Franks? Danes? Nordics? Aryans? Slavs? Wasps? Offensive or celebrated? They're all "exclusive".

Yes, Nubians is a cool nickname, but my post was semi-sarcasm as I was responding to the OP, that the nickname Wasps (an insect) may seem "exclusive" to students that are not White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. Yes, Irish, Scots, Franks and even Vikings would fit the same "exclusive" criteria and should be banned according to some offended people. I was just pointing out that it can work both ways. Just about any nickname could be considered "exclusive". How about a new high school, the Eurocentric Nordics? Would that offend anyone? Of course it would.

Last edited:
How about a new high school, the Eurocentric Nordics?
I like it. The chick from the 1984 Apple commercial could be their mascot.

1984-runner-4.jpg

In over 10 years of driving by the Africentric Nubians, I never saw a 'white' kid enter
or exit the building.

Africentric occupied the old Columbus Mohawk on Livingston Ave. between I-70
and German Village. The building is slated for demolition for I-70 improvements.
A new wide campus has been built on the East edge of Bexley just off James Road
and south of the Airport.

I remember in 2005 the students calling the OHSAA every name in the book when
they had to forfeit a Boys Basketball Title for an ineligible player.

:>---

SALT
Oh, was it a white kid?

Why should they be dictated by what some other school chooses to do? As for you, do you have a problem with the changing of the name from "Wasp?" If so, I do not follow why would you be bothered by "Nubians?"

Oh, was it a white kid?
The ineligible student in question was Laquawn Perry, so I'm not sure. That was a tough pill to swallow for the team. I felt bad for those students, by rights they should have that trophy today. IIRC, the Africentric AD screwed up by not filing the transfer paperwork (which was proper and in order), then that AD switched to another high school mid-year before the end of the basketball season.

Why should they be dictated by what some other school chooses to do? As for you, do you have a problem with the changing of the name from "Wasp?" If so, I do not follow why would you be bothered by "Nubians?"

I'm just trying to keep up. It can all be a bit confusing without a scorecard. :confused:

I think I got this one though: Wasp is exclusive and therefore is offensive and needs to be changed. Nubians is exclusive and therefore is celebrated for it's exclusiveness. Diversity is our strength, except when it isn't. Exclusiveness is bad, except when it isn't. :)

I'm just trying to keep up. It can all be a bit confusing without a scorecard. :confused:

I think I got this one though: Wasp is exclusive and therefore is offensive and needs to be changed. Nubians is exclusive and therefore is celebrated for it's exclusiveness. Diversity is our strength, except when it isn't. Exclusiveness is bad, except when it isn't. :)

There's a lot of confusing going on for sure but this one is first grade. Wasps CHOSE to change their own name. /need to think. You may still celebrate WASP, be it the insect or the acronym. No one has removed that right from you. You are even permitted to think that Nubians isn't to be celebrated, or is. It's all your choice. ?