Urban Legend...Anyone know the real story?

vonnie

2004 Football game between La Salle and Colerain...rainy bad sloppy field and La Salle waters the sloppy field to slow down the Colerain football team! And this is the reason Colerain no longer plays La Salle.

I know this can't be true, but does anyone have the real story?

2004 Football game between La Salle and Colerain...rainy bad sloppy field and La Salle waters the sloppy field to slow down the Colerain football team! And this is the reason Colerain no longer plays La Salle.

I know this can't be true, but does anyone have the real story?

Part of the story belongs to a long standing fued the schools have for each other. It's been going on for quite some time, since the late 70's and more so since the late 80-90's..culminating in some real sad fights on both home turf. As a result, the AD's decided to cancel any future games between the two unless they met in tourney. There are many cracks to be filled in in this story, but that's the jist of it, from what I know.

AD Bolden wants us to play them every year in football. Since we won't, he says Colerain won't play us in any sports. It's athletic sanctions applied by the cards to get us to come around.

Last edited:
i dont know where i heard this but i thought colerain chose not to play lasalle in football bc it was a lose-lose for colerain. lasalle was never that good so it didnt mean much if colerain won but if colerain lost it would make them look bad. this is probably wrong but i have heard this

There's some more politics involved but the real reason the game fell apart was the change in the GMC schedule beginning in 2005. Week 10 is now all league games for the GMC.

There's some more politics involved but the real reason the game fell apart was the change in the GMC schedule beginning in 2005. Week 10 is now all league games for the GMC.

I'm sure they could work it out if they wanted to...WHOever it is that says NO....since we have LW and LE on our schedule, it's possible to work it in....if wanted.....MAYBE whoever is saying no could be swayed if they were paid like C and E are being paid by ESPN for the next few years---I hear somewhere between $500,000 and a Mil for each year to each school .......money do say it better than ANYTHING ELSE.....

Personally, I don't think LaSalle could keep with them year in and year out----and that will hurt getting kids to come to LaSalle since they both draw from the same popn. Can't blame LaSalle if that's involved in the reasoning. On the other hand, why won't C play us in BB--same reason only this time on the opposite foot?????

GO LANCERS

I'm sure they could work it out if they wanted to...WHOever it is that says NO....since we have LW and LE on our schedule, it's possible to work it in....if wanted.....MAYBE whoever is saying no could be swayed if they were paid like C and E are being paid by ESPN for the next few years---I hear somewhere between $500,000 and a Mil for each year to each school .......money do say it better than ANYTHING ELSE.....

Personally, I don't think LaSalle could keep with them year in and year out----and that will hurt getting kids to come to LaSalle since they both draw from the same popn. Can't blame LaSalle if that's involved in the reasoning. On the other hand, why won't C play us in BB--same reason only this time on the opposite foot?????

GO LANCERS

I really don't know anything about basketball.

With the Harbin system the way it is, there is no reason La Salle should play Colerain. It's why I hate the harbins - it encourages playing mediocre teams with good records in a bad league. La Salle could be a top 10 team in the state, and go 1-2 in the GCL. If you add Colerain to that schedule and lose, now you're missing the playoffs as a top 10 team in the state. Just doesn't make sense.

And for what it's worth, I think La Salle did water down the field in '04.

With the Harbin system the way it is, there is no reason La Salle should play Colerain. It's why I hate the harbins - it encourages playing mediocre teams with good records in a bad league. La Salle could be a top 10 team in the state, and go 1-2 in the GCL. If you add Colerain to that schedule and lose, now you're missing the playoffs as a top 10 team in the state. Just doesn't make sense.

And for what it's worth, I think La Salle did water down the field in '04.
How could they get away with that...would that not be a serious crime?

A crime?? :laugh:

Not a crime, but it makes no sense to me because it slows Colerain down but it obviously slows down LaSalle too. It's not like the field is miraculously dry when LaSalle is on offense.

A crime?? :laugh:

Not a crime, but it makes no sense to me because it slows Colerain down but it obviously slows down LaSalle too. It's not like the field is miraculously dry when LaSalle is on offense.

The field was already in real bad shape...if a player got hurt, we could blame it on mother nature! But what if you took a real sloppy field and turned it into a real mess, and a player got hurt?

The field was already in real bad shape...if a player got hurt, we could blame it on mother nature! But what if you took a real sloppy field and turned it into a real mess, and a player got hurt?

Then you chalk it up to a football injury. It happens. But I don't think any LaSalle coach or administrator would be charged with a crime.

too bad

The Lancers have knock out Colerain in the playoffs too many times in the 70's and 80's. Too many fights, vandels to each school. Safety to students is key. Since H points, really no need to play. A lot of bad blood between the schools 20-25 years ago. Some day, maybe, some day, maybe not in our life time, but someday LS and Colerain will play...perhaps in a playoff game.

Bottom line...Colerain is better and LaSalle does not want an annual loss on its schedule. Can't say I blame Grippa, but it sucks for the fans and players to miss out on a neighborhood rivalry game.